MukhAri

All about Ragas

#1  Postby Radhakrishnan » 25 Apr 2006 22:13

very touching rAga, evokes Bhakthi rasa.Considered janya of 22nd mela Kharahara priya,though some authors are of the opinion that it is the janya of 20th nata bhairavi,since both dhaivathas has equal importance.
Aro s r2 m1 p n2 d2 s
Ava s n2 d2 p m1 g2 r2 s
bhAshAnga rAga
plenty of good compositions
1.Eranapai varnam Patanam Subramania Iyer
2Ema nine Subbaraya shastry
3.Enta nine Thyagaraja
4.Sripathe srinarayana Keshava pillai(it is a fantastic one,made popular by Neyyattinkara Vasudevan sir)
There is a popular Kathakali padam ,Naishadhan ivan thano(Nalacharitham)
Kalaimamani T.Sasidhar explores this raga in flute.
Brief bio data of this artist:
Visually handicapped(totally),aged 42,disciple of late H.Ramachandra shastry(disciple of Palladam Sanjeeva Rao),learnt vocal music from Pudukode Krishnamoorthy and Vairamangalam Lakshminarayanan.Now staff at Kalakshetra.Being fully occupied with their dance dramas,not very popular in carnatic concert circle,though he is very good at it.
Awarded Kalaimamani(in dance section)this year.This audio clip is from a radio concert.
http://rapidshare.de/files/18911861/mukhari.mp3.html
Radhakrishnan

#2  Postby cmlover » 25 Apr 2006 22:36

Era naapai varnam of Patnam was in tODi!
cmlover

#3  Postby Lakshman » 25 Apr 2006 22:59

CML: There is indeed a varNa in mukhAri but it is not by Patnam Subramania Iyer but by Pallavi Doraisvami Iyer.

Era nApai inta kOpa (tv). rAgA: mukhAri. Adi tALA. Composer: Palllavi Doraisvami Iyer.

P: Era nApai inta kOpamElarA evvari bOdhana vinnAvurA
A: dhIruDaina shrI subrahmaNya rArA nannElukOrA IvELa
C: nIrajAkSa nApai dayayuncarA
Lakshman

#4  Postby Vocalist » 25 Apr 2006 23:00

Must not forget these compositions in mukhAri!

Sivakaamasundhari (Papanasam Sivan)
Endraikku Shiva Krupai (Neelakanta Sivan)
Saranam Aiyappa (Papanasam Sivan)
Vocalist

#5  Postby kiransurya » 25 Apr 2006 23:06

A few more to the list..
Paahimam Rathnaachala naayaka-Dikshitar
Enthaniney varninthu-Thyagaraja
Kaarubaaru-Thyagaraaja
Krishnam kalayasakhi-Naarayana Theertha
kiransurya

#6  Postby srkris » 25 Apr 2006 23:21

The one which Semmangudi used to sing often - Ksheenamai Tiruga (Thyagaraja Kriti)
The one which Chembai used to sing often - ElAvatAramettu kontivo (Thyagaraja Kriti)
srkris
Site Admin

#7  Postby vasanthakokilam » 26 Apr 2006 00:18

Mukhari is a huge favorite of mine ( I even made a mixed tape of Mukhari songs and called it my Turbo series of cassettes much to other's strange looks ;) ). Of late, I have gathered a lot more Mukhari songs from the contributions of fellow members.

ElAvatAra by N.C. Vasanthakokilam was my early introduction to this raga and that little 78 rpm version that AIR used to play in the morning has a special place in my heart. A close second is KVN's Sivakama Sundari. Rest of them are great as well, so it is really hard to come up with favourites that are far apart. How can I forget Musiri's Enthaninne Sabari,MSS's Sharanam Iyyappa and the enchanting and unusual opening of Kaaru Baaru.

I am usually not the one to pay close attention to the lyrics but I got a glimpse of Thyagaraja's imagination and bhakthi in his Enthaninne Sabari. That relatively short song probably has enough material for an hour long discourse.

Whoever stereotyped Mukhari with only Shoka rasa and crying needs be caned black and blue ;) It is so many orders of magnitude more than that but people has this popular misconception. It is so pervasive that some people do not even sing this on auspicious occasions.( makes me ill when I hear that ). Every chance I get, I try to dispel this myth with people. Even Ilayaraja, in an interview, who interestingly makes part of the same point, does not represent the facts properly. He said, (paraphrasing) 'people consider Mukhari to be a sad raga but it is not the raga that is sad but it is the people singing who makes it sad'. ( whatever that means ).

From my little collection, I also see:

Brahma_Kadikina
Ososi
vasanthakokilam

#8  Postby rshankar » 26 Apr 2006 00:30

One of my favorites in mukhAri is 'brahma kadigina padamU'. In the days before she gave up singing such songs, Smt. MSS has rendered an ashTapadI (priyE chArushIlE): I think it is in this rAgam: that is TOO LOVELY for words.
Ravi
rshankar

#9  Postby kiransurya » 26 Apr 2006 01:28

VK
If not a commercial one can you u/l ELAvatara of NC Vasanthakokilam?

I have never heard her in my life. People say that she was legendary singer. Your u/l will be my intro to her..
Thanks in advance...

I think Mukhari is evokes Bhakthi and Karuna rasa more than Soka rasam(I think people have got a misconception about it as mentioned by you..)
I have heard BMK rendering Entanine varninthu Sabari Bhagyamu with breathtaking Manodharama and Bhava
kiransurya

#10  Postby vasanthakokilam » 26 Apr 2006 01:49

Right on Kiran about the Bhakthi and Karuna rasa of Mukhari.

Here is the MIO link for NCV's ELAvatara.

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/p/x/54K ... As1NMvHdW/

( you can also search at MIO for Vasanthakokilam under the category 'Carnatic Vocal' for rest of her songs they have...a special shout out for Needayarada, Yen Palli Kondirayya, Thanthai Thai Irunthal and a stunning Maaye ( tharangini ) )
vasanthakokilam

#11  Postby kiransurya » 26 Apr 2006 02:00

Cheers Chandra...
kiransurya

#12  Postby kaumaaram » 26 Apr 2006 13:29

VK wrote:

I am usually not the one to pay close attention to the lyrics but I got a glimpse of Thyagaraja's imagination and bhakthi in his Enthaninne Sabari. That relatively short song probably has enough material for an hour long discourse.

Unquote

VK: You must listen to BMK singing this song on the Sangeetha pre-rec.

Kaumaaram
kaumaaram

#13  Postby drshrikaanth » 26 Apr 2006 18:38

How can we commit the sin of forgetting MD`s pAhimAm ratnAcalanAyka!
Here it is sung DKP

http://rapidshare.de/files/18973987/Pah ... al.rm.html
drshrikaanth

#14  Postby coolkarni » 27 Apr 2006 18:52

Rshankar(Moderator)
please delete the links to rapidshare for nednuris tracks.
I have deleted the rapidlink, but you can remove the posts.

there is some doubt that it may be a commercial one
coolkarni

#15  Postby rshankar » 27 Apr 2006 18:55

Kulkarni sa'ab,
I have deleted the post...But we lost MLV's mukhArI in the process: any chance of reposting it for the ones that have not d/led it, in case that is a non-commercial track?
Ravi
rshankar

#16  Postby coolkarni » 27 Apr 2006 22:20

i have other versions of nednuris rendering.will put it up
coolkarni

#17  Postby rbharath » 28 Apr 2006 09:58

Another kriti i can think off is 'sangIta sAstra gnAnamu' which is rendered in mukhAri these days but originally said to have been composed in 'sAlagabhairavi'.

gOvindarAjam upAsmahE of dIkshitar
pAlimparAvammA of shyAma sAstri
rbharath

#18  Postby srinidhi » 28 Apr 2006 12:32

YEt another kriti- Arivaar yaar unnai arivaar.

World Space features this kriti rendered by Sri Sanjay (preceeded by wonderful alapana) quite frequently. Infact, Mukhari was the raga chosen for elaboration in their 'colours of a raga' series couple of weeks ago.
srinidhi

#19  Postby Vocalist » 28 Apr 2006 12:36

DKP is known for her rendition of that krithi too.
Vocalist

#20  Postby srinidhi » 28 Apr 2006 13:22

Thoughts of experts on Mukhari-

(from Carnatica.net)

Dr. V V Srivatsa (Introduction and historical background): Mukhari is one of the ancient, pristine ragas and was accorded, in days bygone, the status of a mela by musicologists like Tulajaji. We learn from texts like the Sangeeta Saramrita that the traditional name for this raga was ‘Suddha Sadarita’, which subsequently got modified as Mukhari, in common parlance. Reference to Mukhari as a Suddha mela did cause confusion and resulted in two ragas, namely, Suddha Mukhari and Mukhari. The raga in vogue today, was structurally enunciated by Shahaji and Tulajaji. Textual references to raga Mukhari are available in ancient treatises, ranging from the Sangeeta Makaranda to Sangeeta Ratnakara. Venkatamakhi refers to raga Mukhari as ‘Poorva-Prasiddha’, i.e., well known even prior to his time. Copper plates found in the Tirumala temple precincts refer to two songs of Annamacharya in this raga, ‘Aakali Velala’ and ‘Naanaati bratuku’ (the second song is now rendered in raga Revati). Haridasa tradition holds that Purandaradasa’s devaranamas ‘Vasudeva Naamaavaliya’ and ‘Paalisamma muddu Sarade’ were always rendered in raga Mukhari. Narayana Teertha’s Krishna Leela Tarangini shows that the Tarangam ‘Krishnam kalaya sakhi’ was tuned to raga Mukhari.

Govindacharya defined this raga as Gandhara swara varjita (meaning a raga wherein the note Ga is absent) in the arohana and gave the scale as a vakra (zigzag) sa-ri-ma-pa-ni-da-Sa. The avarohana was sampoorna (containing all seven notes) and sequential too. Subbarama Dikshitar stated that the Nishada swara is also to be excluded in the arohana and that the ascent was without vakra. In Subbarama Dikshitar’s view, this raga is audava-sampoorna. Nevertheless, the majority and consensus view is that this raga is shadava-sampoorna and that Govindacharya’s portrayal is perfect.

Chitravina N Ravikiran (Melodic individuality): The constituent swaras of this raga are Chatusruti Rishabha, Sadharana Gandhara, Suddha Madhyama, Panchama, Chatusruti Dhaivata, Suddha Dhaivata and Kaisika Nishada. The presence of two Dhaivata swaras renders this a Bhashanga raga. The Chatusruti Dhaivata dominates the Arohana, especially in the prayoga pa-dha-Sa, while the Suddha Dhaivata is usually rendered in the Avarohana.

The presence of two Dhaivatas results in complications in classification. Undoubtedly, Bhairavi and Manji are proximate ragas, notwithstanding which, Mukhari has its own melodic identity. Mukhari is a raga known for its multi-faceted rasaanubhava. It is maligned as a raga, which exudes sorrow, as a soka rasa pradhana raga, which is factually and musicologically erroneous.

Mukhari has a strong poorvanga and uttaraanga, requiring correct emphasis of some swaras, to establish the melodic individuality. Stress is usually laid on Madhyama in prayogas like sa-ri-ma-ga-ri. The emphasis shifts to Rishabha in passages like pa-da-Sa-Ri. This warrants correct conception and proper emphasis by the performer. The raga mudra has been used by Muthuswami Dikshitar, in one of his compositions, ‘Pahimam Ratnachalanayaka’.

There is finite difference and distinction between Mukhari and other allied ragas like Huseni, Bhairavi and Salagabhairavi. (Ravikiran rendered briefly, some passages, to accentuate this distinction).

The scope of rasanubhava in this raga is quite wide although the dominant rasas can be Karuna and Soka rasa-s. (He referred to compositions of Tyagaraja to substantiate the view that Bhakti, Sringara and Shanta rasa-s can also be effectively portrayed in this raga.) Thus, this raga has melodic individuality.
srinidhi

#21  Postby coolkarni » 09 Feb 2007 22:11

a soothing
Endraikku Shiva Krupai (Neelakanta Sivan)
by Vedavalli -AIR
http://file.uploadr.com/c8c6
coolkarni

#22  Postby rasaali » 09 Feb 2007 22:49

srinidhi wrote:The scope of rasanubhava in this raga is quite wide although the dominant rasas can be Karuna and Soka rasa-s. (He referred to compositions of Tyagaraja to substantiate the view that Bhakti, Sringara and Shanta rasa-s can also be effectively portrayed in this raga.) Thus, this raga has melodic individuality.

Sri Ravikiran and Sri Nedunuri discuss the point of rasanubhava in Mukhari in a CD of Mukhari compositions rendered by the Vintage Virtuoso. I think the series is called "Celestial ragas" and probably released by Rajalakshmi audio.

Nedunuri-garu being one of the experts in this ragam (his alapanas are to die for!) does a very nice job of explaining nuances and RK's questions and observations enhance the experience.

I might have missed it but I dont think I saw "Muripemo" and "Karu Baru"
in the list so far. Two more gems from Thyagaraja. Former is a Garu favorite and I've heard a great versions of latter from Ramnad Krishnan and TMK.
rasaali

#23  Postby mahesh_narayan » 10 Feb 2007 01:00

Nedunuri garu also has sung Subbaraya Sastri's Emani Ne beautifully many times. It is one of the kritis in his 1988 academy concert with Raghu Sir and VV Ravi Sir. Very nice to listen. There is a lovely Sivakama Sundari sung by KVN Sir somewhere in sangeethapriya (one of the member contribution sections).
mahesh_narayan

#24  Postby knandago2001 » 10 Feb 2007 06:57

Purandara dasa's "palisamma muddu sharade" in Mukhari is a very cute song (recall renditions by MLV / Radha Jayalakshmi). Brindamma's rendition of "Emandune muddu baalaamaniki" (javali by Dharmapuri Subbarayar) stays etched in my memory. KV Narayanaswai's neraval for the line "Kelaayo yen muraigal" in Sivakama sundari is heavenly - I feel transported to another world. The same is true of Musiri's neraval for "Kanulaara sevinchi" in Entaninne. What sublime music from great artisites!
knandago2001

#25  Postby venkatpv » 10 Feb 2007 08:24

SSI's airport concert kshinamai beats everything else hands down... can anyone else sing second speed neraval and swarams in mukhari without losing raga bhava??
venkatpv

Next

Return to Raga & Alapana