Jayachamaraja Odeyar (Mysore Maharajah) - Part II

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

kmrasika- Thanks for these links.

SSK

Post by SSK »

I believe sri S. R. Krishnamurthy (Grandson of Sangeetha Shastra Vishardha Sri Vasudevachar), is leading this effort.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 23 Nov 2009, 20:54, edited 1 time in total.

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

Coolji- Thanks for this info & Invitation.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 27 Nov 2009, 07:21, edited 1 time in total.

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

I'm sure rasikas would love to attend this festival.........
Attendees are in for a Special Gift- A book containing 95 compositions of HH JW along with a statue too. I was keen to possess a book having HH's compositions.

svkashyap

Post by svkashyap »

Amrutavarshini (FM - 100.1MHz) is broadcasting ShreeVidya Darshana featuring compositions of H.H Jayachamarajendra Wodeyar every Firday at 9pm.

arasi

Post by arasi »

svk,
Thank you. Hope this continues and I can get to hear it at the end of the year.

Cool's post says 8th July is the date for JCW's birthday celebrations in Mysore. Hope a few rasikAs attend and report it on the forum too.

sriucl

Post by sriucl »

Hi all,

Could anybody help with and re-post the recording of JCW's Narayana Desakshi krithi (O Jagadamba) and Madhyamavthi krithi (not sure of the pallavi) ? I missed to download it during discussions...

Thanks a bunch...

Sri

S Sankaranarayanan

Post by S Sankaranarayanan »

Regarding the date of Adhisankara as told by Kanchi math. Kanchi math records say that Adhisankara flourished from BC 509 to 477. But Sankara and his contemporary disciple Sureswara refer the Buddhist scholar Dharmakeerthi by name. Dharmakeerthi has been placed in AD7/8th century by Historians. He is referred in Tibet as a contemporary of Tibet king Strang-nbo who ruled in 8th century AD. So Sankara, who quotes Dharmakeerthi, could haved lived only after him, ie. in 8th Century AD. This completely strikes the Kanchi Math acharyas' list at its bottom.

bkishore

Re: Jayachamaraja Odeyar (Mysore Maharajah) - Part II

Post by bkishore »

sir,

Pl reupload the links or share it on another link(mediafire)

bkishore

Post by bkishore »

Sirs,

Pl reupload all the wodeyar kritis.it will be useful to many rasikas like me.kindly use another link if error perisist.
bk_7in@yahoo.com
i'm in deperate need of all those kritis

bkishore

Post by bkishore »

Pl reupload the files from rapidshare. Or pl upload in mediafire or so.

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

bkishore wrote:Sirs,

Pl reupload all the wodeyar kritis.it will be useful to many rasikas like me.kindly use another link if error perisist.
bk_7in@yahoo.com
i'm in deperate need of all those kritis
I suggest that you can visit my blog 'E-SWARA at at http://myblogkumara.blogspot.com/. In the side bar there are links to my Media fire account. You can choose Audio I. You can go in there and if you browse you can find a few of Wodayar's compositions which you can download.

venkatakailasam

bkishore

Post by bkishore »

thank u sir, i will scout for it sir

mohan

Post by mohan »

Book on Mysore Maharajah's compositions is to be released:

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/175 ... osers.html

mohan

Post by mohan »

Text of 97 Jayachamaraja Odeyar compositions has been compiled in Sanskrit and English script with diacriticals by Dr PP Narayanaswami and is available at
http://www.musicresearch.in/categorydet ... ?imgid=161

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

To add to Mohan's posts:

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp ... 237009.ece

Book is in Kannada and is available with Prism Book House, Banaglore. (praneshs@prismbooks.com)

Rsachi

An Adept King Composer – Jayachamaraja Wodeyar

Post by Rsachi »

Dear Rasikas,
Two days ago, I got a few minutes with a lovely book of essays, "Sangeeta Samaya" by Vidwan S.Krishnamurthy (grandson of Mysore Vasudevacharya). I was very happy to read the chapter on Wodeyar's compositions. I decided to share excerpts with you all, and so here goes my attempt at translation. I of course link the original Kannada text I scanned, here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gdwf0vp02i9ui ... itions.pdf

I will do the translation in three parts. First Part:
A Time for Music
Author: S. Krishnamurthy
Publisher: DVK Murthy, Mysore 2002
What inspired the king to get into composing was a confluence of several qualities in him – his incomparable devotion, his special love for Sanskrit, knowledge of Tantrashastra, Mantrashastra, a keen interest in subjects of Vedanta, extensive competency in music, and an attitude of service without recompense. One day, after seeking the blessings of my grandfather (Mysore Vasudevacharya, his guru), he began this mammoth task. Once the sahitya or lyric of the composition would be ready, there would be a discussion of what raga would best bring out the mood and feeling of the lyric, which tala would be appropriate, what should be the musical idiom/syntax, how should the nade (rhythmical progression) be- a discussion that he would hold with my grandfather. As was the practice, I would notate the swaras of the song in Western notation and present it to him. The king would then play and study the song on the piano with that notation. By this time, the king was also quite familiar with the Carnatic system of swara notation and so I would present the song in that form as well. He would then ask me to sing the song and listen to it. He would then discuss his reactions with grandfather. Thus would the song be finalised and then be passed on to musicians.
As per tradition, the task of Maharaja’s compositions began with the prayer to Vighneshwara (Ganesha). “SrimahAgaNapatiM bhajEhaM” in Athana raga took shape on 17th August 1945. From then, the compositional exercise continued till 19 Dec. 1947 and the song that took shape that day was “SriranganAtha pAhimAM kRupAlaya” in Kalyanavasantha. All together 94 compositions with the mudra “srIvidyA” were created by the Maharaja.
Wodeyar was a SrIvidyA upAsaka(follower/practitioner). Hence his mudra “srIvidyA””. The tradition of SrIvidyA worship is very ancient. The yantra (mystic design) of “SrIchakra”, Panchadashi or Shodashi mantra (mystic prayer), the rituals connected with “srIvidyA”, are the three components of this worship. “srIvidyA” practitioners are rare. But those who have faith in “SrIchakra” are many. They have faith that having even one “SrIchakra” symbol in the house would confer wish fulfilment, even if it is not worshipped with discipline. There is traditional belief that Adi Shankara installed the SrIchakra in Tirupati temple and hence its effect has made the goddess Lakshmi reign with such flourish there.
SrIchakra has 9 triangles, and hence is called ‘navayonatmaka” symbol. Of these, four are Shiva chakras, five are Shakti chakras. The mystic union of Shiva and Shakti is the inner truth, the core of “srIvidyA” worship. These nine trangles/chakras symbolise the cosmic processes of creation, sustenance, and destruction. The compositions of Wodeyar contain in full measure the details of “srIvidyA” and “SrIchakra” worship and rituals.

rshankar

Re: An Adept King Composer – Jayachamaraja Wodeyar

Post by rshankar »

Rsachi - we had a very extensive discussion on 'oDeyaru' a few years back...
Mods: Can you merge this with that older thread?

rajeshnat

Re: An Adept King Composer – Jayachamaraja Wodeyar

Post by rajeshnat »

rshankar wrote:Rsachi - we had a very extensive discussion on 'oDeyaru' a few years back...
Mods: Can you merge this with that older thread?
Yes indeed it had two sets of posts in two threads I and II
Mods - Please merge this post with Part II of the thread in the url
http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic. ... start=1250

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Merged. Thanks Rsachi, rshankar and rajeshnat. Please continue here.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

sure. I will also read the first 50 pages of this thread before posting parts 2 and 3 of the article.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

A Time for Music
Part II of the essay continued from post #1269

Wodeyar did not foray into compositional forms of varna, tillana and so on, apart from kirtanas. His principal intent was to compose offerings of prayer and praise of the Lord in a submission of gratitude.
Among the Maharaja’s compositions, around thirty are In janaka (mela) ragas : Charukeshi, Gowrimanohari, Hemavati, Dharmavati, Vishwambhari, Hatakaambari, Lathangi, Simhendramandhyama, Shankarabharana, Kalyani, Suryakanta, Ramapriya, Rishabhapriya, Shanmukhapriya, Vagadheeshwari, Ragavardhini, Shadvidhamargini and so on. The rest have been set by him to unusual janya ragas. And remember, there are so many janyas of the 29th melakarta Dheerashankarabharana itself!
Nagadhwani, Suranandini, Kokilabhashini, Hamsavinodini, Narayana Desakshi, Durvanki etc.
In the same way, credit is due to Wodeyar for adeptly employing and making popular many other rare ragas such as Bhupala panchama, Bhogavasantha, Balachandrika, Bhanuchandrika, Hamsanatani, Nilaveni, and Shivakambodhi.
Among Wodeyar’s compositions, thirty three are in Adi Tala. The other compositions have been set to Sankirna Triputa, Chaturashra Dhruva, Chaturashra Mathya, Mishra Jhampa, Khanda Triputa and so on.
In keeping with the style of Sri Muthuswami Dikshitar, the king has woven the names of ragas appropriately and meaningfully in the right places in his songs. For example, the song in Jaganmohini begins with the words, “jaganmOhinIM haramOhinIM”. The kirtana in Kokilapanchama has the line in the Anupallavi, “nArAyaNIM kOkila panchamarAgiNIM”. “nAgarAjAdi bhakta SankarAbharaNayutaM” is another instance. With a few exceptions, the raga names have all been beautifully incorporated into the lyrics of the compositions.
Wodeyar’s compositions are not simple lyrics. They are not a mere string of the Lord’s praises. Pronunciation is difficult. The use of atheeta and anaagata grahas is quite frequent. In short one can say that Wodeyar’s compositions do not yield themselves to easy mastery. They call for great application and massive effort is a must.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Third and final part continued from #1274
A Time for Music
Part III of the essay continued from post #1274

As soon as the compositions saw the light of day, vidwans and musicologists readily hailed them as compositions that would stand alongside Dikshitar’s compositions. Many of these compositions have become famous nowadays and entered the mainstream repertoire all over south India.
An episode: Vid. Semmangudi was giving a vocal recital in Malleshwaram Sangeeta Sabha. He sang the Maharaja’s composition in Nadanamakriya, “Siva Siva Siva bhO mahAdEva” in a magnificent manner. There was a deluge of applause. “Whose composition could this be?” was the curious question on everyone’s mind in the audience. Semmangudi answered, folding his hands, “this composition is the gracious gift of your own Maharaja!” There was no limit to the joy and pride in the hearts of the listeners.
In another instance, Vid. Ariyakudi Ramanuja Iyengar cast a spell on the audience with the Wodeyar composition, “SrIjAlandhara”in Gambhira Nata. He sang the sarvalaghu chittaswaras in that song in an incomparable manner. The beauty of his singing was enhanced by the majesty of mridangam accompaniment of another great, Vid. Palghat Mani Iyer. It was as if a golden flower cast an ethereal fragrance. It was a stunning, mesmerising moment for everyone in the assembly.
The nightingale of Carnatic music, Vid. Subbulakshmi rendered the Nadanamakriya composition of Wodeyar in the United Nations and made him a world famous composer indeed.
It is indeed a wonder how the Maharaja was able to find the time to engage in pursuit of classical music and then venture into composition-making, in the midst of all his busy activities of administration and kingship. On occasion, we would have to wait for the session owing to his pressing engagements. But that time would then be used to engage in fruitful interactions with Maharaja’s close associates like Muddaraje Urs, K. Gurudutt, Captain Krishna, Gangadhara Shastri and other notables. That would be a great opportunity to discover more stories concerning the Maharaja’s large- heartedness, religious devotion, love of his subjects and high scholarship. And I would gladly listen to those stories, all ears!

mohan

Post by mohan »

Rsachi - thanks for the translations. It was an interesting read.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

:D my pleasure, sir.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Thanks Rsachi.

video link to enhance the experience: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B034KErX0CY

Edit: Found the video and audio not synced properly in the above link. . This is better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1hUcd2vP6s

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Thanks a lot, Vasanthakokilam!

kmrasika

Documentary on JCRW

Post by kmrasika »

Just stumbled on this; two clips of a documentary on HRH JCRW:

1) Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cghj-SixW4
2) Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7b4nIxfaUI

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

More:
1) śata kaṇat gāyana by musicians from karṇāṭaka led by vidvān śrīkāntaṁ nāgēndra śāstri rendering compositions of mahārājā jayacāmarājēndra oḍeyār, maisūr sadāśiva rāyaru, maisūr vāsudēvāccāryā, vīṇā padmanābhayya, etc.:-
a. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjtT0QW0DOc
b. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD480XfzI5k
c. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9pHKvz0l3I

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

Concert 239-Compositions of Jaya chamaraja Wodayar
His Birth day to day-18-07-2014
Listen at:
http://myblogkumara.blogspot.in/2014/06 ... -viii.html

Concert details:
001-Shri Maha Ganapathim Bhaje Ham -Soolamangalam Sisters - Athana Raga Adi Tala
002- O jagadamba Raga narayanadeshakshi triputa tala…
003-KVN--ManayataManjula-Kokilapriya-TJhampa-KV-Narayanaswamy
004-KVN-ShriLalitam--nAgadvani-KandaTriputa-KVNarayanaswamy
005-Sadashiva-Sarasangi-Adi-Thiruchur v Ramachandran
006-siva siva siva bho-nadanamakriya-MSS
007-Padmanabham bajeham-Yadukula Kambhoji-Dr.Nagavalli Nagaraj
008-bhUri_bhAgya_lahari-prathApavarALi-Adhi-Rudrapattinam brothers
009-AnandaLahari--KsheeraSagaraShayana-MayamalavaGowla-MSS
010-ShriJalandara-GambhiraNata-Aadi-DKP
011-DurgaDevi-Dharmavathy-Aadi-M.Santhanam
012-Chintayasada-Sindhuramakriya-RK Srikantan

DrRanjani

Re:

Post by DrRanjani »

drshrikaanth wrote:Notes on || SrI jAlandharam ||

rAga: gambhIranATa ; Adi tALa

SrI jAlandharam ASHrayAmi aham- I seek refuge in jAlandharESvara;
jalajAkSham- Lotus-eyed one.

SrI jAhnavIdharam-Him Who bears ganga in his matted locks; Sankaram;
SrIvidyAswarUpam- Him in the form of SrIvidyA;
SHaShidharam- Him Who is adorned with the moon;
SrIvAsam-Abode of prosperity; Sarvam;
SivAramaNam- Lord of pArvati;
maNigaNavarabhUShaNam- Him bedecked with various ornaments;

Srita jana ananta abhIShTa phaladam- Him Who grants the sounted desired wishes of those
who seek refuge in him;
SrI sadASivam; aniSam- ever.

purA- In ancient days;
dEvatA kAryArtham- For the sake of the dEvas` purpose/enterprise;
tripuradahanakArakam- slayer of tripura (by burning);
"dAhakArakam" also conveys the same meaning;
tryambakam- Him with 3 eyes.
murAri dEvottama pUjita- Him worshipped by viShNu and other dEvas;

tAraka vadhArtham- With the aim of killing tArakAsura;
mahAsEna rUpadharam- Him Who took the form/guise of mahAsEna;
dEvAdhi pramukham- The leader of all Gods;
harAdi akhilanAma pratipAdyam- Him praised and called by various names such as hara;
hamsam- parabrahma; jagadvyApakam- All pervadin One; anantam-eternal One;
purandarAdi sannuta- Woshipped by indra et al;
tAraka tEjOrUpavAyulingam- effulgent vAyulinga Tha helps one cross the ocean of samsAra.
Few Things :

-> in the line sri vaasam , the word is SHARVAM not sarvam . sharvam means shivam ( it is a synonym ) ( sharva means shiva )
-> The line maniganavarabhushanam is actually phanigana varabhushanam referring to mahadeva having adorned Phanigana - serpents
-> in the line murari ( mura is a demon , ari is enemy , thus the attribute to vishnu - mura-ari ) devottama - the word is poojithaarthi - one who is worshipped
->immediately there is a line ( it has been missed out ) ' pavithra pada yugmam ' - having holy feet ; one foot of shiva and the other of devi , this is from the yugala concept ( ardhanarishwara) (yugma means pair )
-> After purandaradi sannuta there are lines missing . :- Gambheera natya pravartaka - one who dances majestically with elan ; nagalingam the linga which adorns the naga( serpent) ; Maragatha mani shobhita lingam - referring to the maragatha lingam ( a rare and auspicious lingam of emerald )
-> taaraka tejo rupa vayu lingam - this line is also an attribute to Thiruvannamalai arunachaleshwara

Just wanted to notify that these things had been missed out from this divine composition . :)

Jigyaasa

Re:

Post by Jigyaasa »

drshrikaanth wrote: 20 Oct 2005, 00:27 vidvanmaNi pOShiNi SrIvidyA vihAriNi ||
[
SrIvidyA vikAsini?

sathya_vrathan

Post by sathya_vrathan »

Can someone help in re uploading all the compositions of sri jayachamaraja wodeyar so that everyone can download and listen.
I need recording of pahimam sri rajarajeshwari in jayasamvardhini.
Awaiting response from someone.
Thanks.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Writeup of exclusive concert of JC Wadiyar (ODeyar) by Nagendra sastri .
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=33052

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

sathya_vrathan wrote: 22 Nov 2018, 16:57 I need recording of pahimam sri rajarajeshwari in jayasamvardhini.
Thanks.
Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxqRpXWm8JM

RSR

Post by RSR »

@rshankar
Sir, you have referred to a song in Ataanaa ragam by NCV in post-12 of the first page of this thread.
You had given a rapidshare link also but the links from rapidshare are not working anymore.
Are you referring to 'yaaro vanthennai aasai kaatti maraintahaar' ?
If so, I have given the youtube link ( saregama- old gems) in musicians section

Karnatika

Post by Karnatika »

Does anyone have an audio recording of Wodeyar’s not so known compositions in well known ragas like Dhenuka? I found a few on sangeethapriya and YouTube, or Shymala Venkatesan’s album but vast majority still difficult to find. I’m looking for the Dhenuka composition at the moment

vamsipet

Post by vamsipet »

sathya_vrathan wrote: 22 Nov 2018, 16:57 Can someone help in re uploading all the compositions of sri jayachamaraja wodeyar so that everyone can download and listen.
I need recording of pahimam sri rajarajeshwari in jayasamvardhini.
Thanks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okYAS93pzao

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

sathya_vrathan wrote: 22 Nov 2018, 16:57 Can someone help in re uploading all the compositions of sri jayachamaraja wodeyar
@satya_vrathan
Your request was heard(or seen) - AIR Ragam aired most of the episodes of the series, "Srividya Darshanam," featuring mahārājā śrī jayacāmarājēndra oḍeyār's compositions, earlier this year. It is available here.
@Lakshman @meena @Sreeni Rajarao @keerthi @Sachi_R @vs_manjunath @drshrikaanth

The notations for these compositions are available in the book entitled, "śrī vidyā gānavāridhi" (lyrics and notation in Kannada) published by HRH Sri Jaya Raja Chandra - edited by S. Krishnamurthy (grandson of maisūr vāsudevācārya), published by Prism Books.

An additional three compositions were released later by Sangeetha Vidwan Sri Sreekantham Nagendra Sastry in a commercial CD after he accidentally stumbled upon the notations in his family collection (IINM the additional piece in sarasāṅgi, bindumālini and one more that doesn't come to memory).

As for the thread, many thanks to Dr Shriikaanth Murthy, meena and other experts for their deep analysis of each composition, Cool Sir for industriously digging through his vast, painstakingly curated collection of audio documentation (and others) to provide renditions and illustrations, HRH Jaya Raja Chandra (and others)providing supporting documentation for discussions. All in all, we have a deeper awareness, understanding and appreciation for these gems.🙏

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

yes some of the compositions are rivetting indeed. especially the song in Nadanamakriya sung by MSS at the UN. And also Sri Jalandhara

Devikasnath

Post by Devikasnath »

Namasthe
Can somebody help me to procure the notations of Wodeyar krithis? Any available notation, could you please share?
looking forward to hearing from you.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Only a handful of his krti notations are available in English. There is a book in print with notations for all his songs but it is in Kannada script.

Devikasnath

Post by Devikasnath »

Kannada book will be fine.
But it's not available for online purchase it seems 😭
Since Iam a Keralite ,I dont have any contacts at Bangalore to enquire regarding the availability of the book in any of the book stalls in Bangalore.🥺
This was a book which I really wished to have which could help me to do my Mphil thesis.

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

@Devikasnath :
This is Prism Books' website: https://prismbooks.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/prismbookspvtltd/

You could try emailing them, if you receive no reply, then call.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

I tried Prism Books but they directed me to one Ramachandra R,Urs at 23615370. They did not mention the name of the city where this phone number is located.

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

Lakshman wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 21:47 I tried Prism Books but they directed me to one Ramachandra R,Urs at 23615370. They did not mention the name of the city where this phone number is located.
Probably a Bangalorean number. Iinm, 080 is the phone code for Bangalore.