Jayachamaraja Odeyar (Mysore Maharajah) - Part I

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Kartik
Purandara dasa starts as
"sri gaNanaatha sindUravarNa..."
and hence association of kumkum with vinaayaka is an ancient concept. Is it because kumkum is his favourite or because he has that hue (being smeared by kumkum) since he is descried as white coloured elsewhere, I don't know. I would love to know if there is a puraNic reference in this context...

Meena

Nice work!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

j~nAnamudrAlankRtam

This could simply mean that he is in the form of praNava (praNavaakaaram (see MD's vaataapi)).

Technically, j~naanamudra is:
"tarjanya^NguShThakau saktau agaratO vinyasEt h^Ridi|
vAmahastAmbujaM vAmajAnumUrdhani vinyasEt|
j~nAnamudrA bhavEt EShA rAmacandrasya prEyasI||"
I have not however seen vinaayaka in this posture in any representations!

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Meena
You read my mind in posting the kannaDa kRti by rudrapaTNa brothers!

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

DRS ji,
I was interested to know the meaning of 'Sindhurapriyam'.What is the relevance of this line?
Interestingly,HMB refers to Ganapathi as 'Kumkuma Sharira' in his Kanada composition-'Vara Siddhi Vinayaka.Sumuka'.
karthik
The sAhitya is sindUrapriyam not sindhura which means elephant. Sorry for error in the lyric. But I had corrected it in the meaning that I posted. Meena has aptly pointed out sindUravarNa (or sinduravarNa) in purandaradAsa`s piLLAri gIte. There are 16 (32) well-recognized forms of gaNapati iconographically. Some of them such as rakta gaNapati and mahAgaNapati are red in complexion. Red is also a reference to rajas (guNa).

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

j~nAnamudrAlankRtam

This could simply mean that he is in the form of praNava (praNavaakaaram (see MD's vaataapi)).

Technically, j~naanamudra is:
"tarjanya^NguShThakau saktau agaratO vinyasEt h^Ridi|
vAmahastAmbujaM vAmajAnumUrdhani vinyasEt|
j~nAnamudrA bhavEt EShA rAmacandrasya prEyasI||"
I have not however seen vinaayaka in this posture in any representations!
This particular kRti of oDeyar clearly addresses mahAgaNapati, one of the 32 forms of gaNapati I mentioned earlier. mahAgaNapati is ruddy of complexion and does show j~nAna mudre.
Please peruse this page showing pictures of an giving some iconographical details of the 32 forms. mahAgaNapati is number 13 in the series here. The sketch clearly shows j~nAnamudre in the right lower hand close to the chest.

http://www.himalayanacademy.com/resourc ... ch-05.html

kartik

Post by kartik »

Had been to Mysore yesterday and was thrilled to see Mother Chamundeswari in all her splendour.

I also picked up a Kannada book on the patronage extended by Odeyars to the field of music(Department of archeology)..Has very nice writeups on many musicians who adorned the court of the Maharaja, while describing in detail about the contribution of His Highness himself.Also picked up a book on mummadi,

The Oriental Research Insitute in the University of Mysore has published the 3 volumes of Sri Tattva Nidhi.Every month between the 1st and 4th they extend a discount of 20-25% on the books.Each vol costs about 600 but the printing is topnotch