Papanasam Sivan

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
Radhakrishnan

Post by Radhakrishnan »

kumaran.nadesan wrote:Does anyone have clips of him singing any compositions, either his or others? Please please post them up!
KVN sings mA ramanan

http://rapidshare.de/files/36430015/kvn ... m.mp3.html

Radhakrishnan

Post by Radhakrishnan »

Hari prasad renders padumanAbhan marukA

http://rapidshare.de/files/36434328/har ... i.mp3.html

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

I used to have a clip of his singing, but I can't find it, nor remember much about it except that his singing wasn't near as great his composing. (still a fan of his compositions)

kumaran.nadesan

Post by kumaran.nadesan »

-
Last edited by kumaran.nadesan on 04 Oct 2007, 07:05, edited 1 time in total.

kumaran.nadesan

-

arasi

Post by arasi »

What a treat, Kumaran! nanRi, nanRi...

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

I thought that was the one being sold on the Papanasam Sivan site?

jayachAmarAja

Post by jayachAmarAja »

First link on

http://www.sangeethamshare.org/sundaram ... c/02_Video

has the video documentary

kumaran.nadesan

-

arasi

Post by arasi »

More gratitude to the two true dhAtAs...

meena

Post by meena »

---
Last edited by meena on 06 May 2008, 04:29, edited 1 time in total.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

http://rapidshare.com/files/19288955/05 ... e.mp3.html
Papanasam Sivan - the man and his music
HIS VOICE ..

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

meena wrote:article in thamiz on Sree Pshivan i'm told:

http://www.aaraamthinai.com/cinema/cini ... tturai.asp

Someone pl. provide the gist? thanks
The article starts with where Sivan was born in pOlagam in erstwhile Thanjavur district; he lost his father when he was 8, moved with his older brother and mother to tiruvanantapuram, went to school there learning Sanskrit, music, religion etc., then returned to Thanjavur district, lived in a few places such as pazhamArnEri, and PApanAsam (which is where he got his name associated with him). He was called Sivan when he came out of a temple after singing on Lord Siva with vibhUti smeared all over him. The rest of the article covers his move to Madras and his tutoring S. Rajam and his sister (children of one Sundarram Iyer, a lawyer) and it was Sundaram Iyer who got him into the movies where he started writing lyrics and acted in very many movies until he decided to quit acting and concentrate on writing lyrics only. He moved to Kalakshetra later. His bhajans in Mylapore got a coverage. The SK and Padma Bhushan awards in 1972 were mentioned and finally his departure in 1973. No mention about his daughters in that article.

meena

Post by meena »

mahakavi

thanks

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

mahakavi
thanks

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

mahakavi wrote:He was called Sivan when he came out of a temple after singing on Lord Siva with vibhUti smeared all over him.
IIRC, in a VCD released by Papanasam Ashok Ramani, he/narrator states that Papanasam Sivan was called 'Sivan' after his guru Nilakanta Sivan.
mahakavi wrote:The rest of the article covers his move to Madras and his tutoring S. Rajam and his sister (children of one Sundarram Iyer, a lawyer) and it was Sundaram Iyer who got him into the movies where he started writing lyrics and acted in very many movies until he decided to quit acting and concentrate on writing lyrics only.
S. Balachander's brother and sister. The family was also very active on stage.

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

>>IIRC, in a VCD released by Papanasam Ashok Ramani, he/narrator states that Papanasam Sivan was called 'Sivan' after his guru Nilakanta Sivan.<<

It is true that Papanasam Sivan was influenced by Nilakanta Sivan(1839-1900) at a young age. When PS moved to tiruvanantapuram (at age 8) in 1898, Nilakanta Sivan was a very pious devotee and a wellknown composer living there. However, I am not sure whether NS can be called the guru of PS. One can say PS was influenced by NS at a not-so-impressionable age. NS died in 1900. So PS (as a child) was influenced by NS for a mere 2 years. Those days it was customary to call pious "godmen" as Sivan. Some examples: Nilakanta Sivan, Ramaswamy Sivan, Vaidyanatha Sivan....

The first movie for which PS served as a music director was for V. Shantaram's "Sita Kalyanam" shot in Calcutta with S. Rajam as rAma and his sister S. Jayalakshmi as sItA, according to the article in ArAmtiNai ezine. It is strange that the article had no by-line.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Just a few points from that tamil article.

1) PS was scholarly in Tamil, Sanskrit and Malayalam.

2) The article refers to Nilakanta Sivan as Nilakanta Dasar.

3) PS's real name was Ramayya. He was later called Ramayya Sivan and then Papanasam Sivan.

4) He looked like a saivaite saint when he came out of a temple after singing Thayumanavar songs. From that day he was called Ramayya Sivan.

mohan

Post by mohan »

For Sivan fans see http://www.shivanisai.com/ (Site run by Papanasam Ashok Ramani)

sramaswamy

Post by sramaswamy »

Wow! That is quite an exhaustive site. Looks very promising.

meena

Post by meena »

mohan

not much info abt PS, i do not see his comp list etc.

sramaswamy

Post by sramaswamy »

It seems to be a site for Papanasam Ashok Ramani. There is only one page on Papanasam Sivan. But there seems to be links for online courses, a mailing list subscription. Like I said it is "'promising"

cmfan

Post by cmfan »

Kaana Vendamo - Sri Ranjani - Is it a PS composition ? Can someone provide lyrics for the song please?

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

Yes it is a composition of PS in sriranjani.The lyrics can be found here.
http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=46400

cmfan

Post by cmfan »

Thanks Mahakavi...

vgvindan

Post by vgvindan »

kRti 'dEvi nIyE tuNai ten madurai vAzh mIna lOcani'.

In the caraNa, it occurs as kAncana malai pudalvi - this is rendered as 'kAncana mAlai pudalvi'.
The lordly mountain Himavan who is the greatest treasure trove of minerals, Rama, also treasures up a pair of daughters who by their comeliness are unequalled on earth. The slender-waisted and fascinating daughter of Mt. Meru, oh, Rama, renowned by her name Mena, is the dear wife of Himavan and the mother of those two daughters, indeed.

This Ganga has emerged as an elder daughter to Himavan through Mena, oh, Raghava, and that way a girl renowned by the name Uma has become a second daughter to him. Later, all of the divinities intending to fulfil a divine purpose have sought the lordly mountain Himavan to spare Ganga, who is scheduled to become a tri-way-cruising river. With a righteous thinking and hopeful of the welfare in triadic world, Himavan then spared his daughter Ganga whose flow is at her own volition.
Srimad vAlmIki rAmAyaNa, bAla kANDa, Chapter 35 refers.
http://www.valmikiramayan.net/bala/sarg ... _prose.htm
Last edited by vgvindan on 20 Jul 2007, 18:43, edited 1 time in total.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

VGV
what is kAnca?

kAncanamAlai was the name of the pANDya queen whose daughter was taDAdagai/mInAkShi.

vgvindan

Post by vgvindan »

drs,
that was my mistake - it should read 'kAncana'. - I have corrected it.
Is it 'kAncana mAlai' the name of mother of pArvati? Is mEnA called 'kAncana mAlai'? I doubt.
Last edited by vgvindan on 20 Jul 2007, 18:50, edited 1 time in total.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

vgv
mInAkShi was born as th pANDya princess taDAdagai. And her queen mother was kAncanamAla. There is little room for doubt here. Why are you connecting mEnA to kAncanamAlA? malayadhvaja was the pANDya king and kAncanamAlai his wife.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Weren't the pANDya king and queen who performed the putrakAmESTi malayadhwaja pANDyan and his queen kAncanamAlA? mInAkshI emerged from the fire (malayadhwajanin tava payan - malayadhwajan mA tavamE) and was adopted by them as their child. So, neither is malayadhwajan the same as himavAn, nor is kAncanamAla any connection to mEnA.

In the mInAkshi suprabhAtam, Dr. Raghavan (the composer, kavikOkilam) begins with the phrase 'mInAkshi dEvi, maladhwaja pANDya putrI'.....

vgvindan

Post by vgvindan »

The story of mInAkSi as daughter of malaydhvaja pANDya and kAncana mAla seems to be local variation of what is contained in major purANas about umA.

The name 'kAnca mAla' is too coincidental with 'mEna - daughter of mEru' which is called 'kAncana parvata' or 'kAncana malai' in tamil.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

VGV
You stick to your point of view so rigidly. Each sthaLa has a sthaLapurANa attached to it. madurai has its. This is no new concocted version.

vgvindan

Post by vgvindan »

drs,
I am afraid I have not made any such statement about it being concocted.

Every major purAna has local variations. Even rAmAyaNa has so many variations. For example 'rAmcaritra mAnas' and 'kamba rAmAyaNa' have been derived from vAlmIki rAmAyaNa. But ultimately the version of vAlmIki rAmAyaNa would be taken as authority because the derivatives cannot overrule the original version on major issues. For example, sItA's abduction is treated differently by 'rAmcaritra mAnas' but that will remain only a variation.
This is what I wanted to bring out.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

vgvindan wrote:kRti 'dEvi nIyE tuNai ten madurai vAzh mIna lOcani'.

In the caraNa, it occurs as kAncana malai pudalvi - this is rendered as 'kAncana mAlai pudalvi'.
vgv. This is what I do not agree with. Whatever may be the origins of kAncanamAlA's name, in the caraNa of this song, it is kAncanamAlai only and not kAncana malai as you reckon. In other words, the words as sung by musicians are not at variance with what the composer composed (True to the sthalapurANa).

vgvindan

Post by vgvindan »

drs,
The observation was based on my understanding of what is said elsewhere. After reading what you said about sthala purANa, I did not press my point about wrong rendering of the kRti. Neither I made any observation about the composer being wrong. If that is what you are trying to insist, I solemly withdraw my observation about wrong rendering of the kRti.

But I am entitled to my opinions and they stand.

baboosh

Post by baboosh »

vgvindan wrote:drs,
The observation was based on my understanding of what is said elsewhere. After reading what you said about sthala purANa, I did not press my point about wrong rendering of the kRti. Neither I made any observation about the composer being wrong. If that is what you are trying to insist, I solemly withdraw my observation about wrong rendering of the kRti.

But I am entitled to my opinions and they stand.
In Tiruvilayadal purana and also Halasya mahathmya,Sri.Meenakshi's mother is referred to as Kanchanamaalai.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

http://www.hindu.com/fr/2007/09/21/stor ... 150300.htm

Sure to be a treat! Hopefully, someone will review.

ramya

Post by ramya »

hi,

i would like to have the lyrics of the song chotham irangadha in sahana by Papanasam Shivam..please

thanks

meena

Post by meena »

cittam irangAdEnaiyyA. rAgA: shahAnA. tALA: cApu

P: cittam irangAdEnaiyA shendil vElaiyA nin cittam
irangAdEnaiyA shiriyEniDam aru mAmukha shiridEnum nin
C: paghal iravum paNindu pDdi bhajikkum enpAl nin talaiyil malai vIzhndAlum
tAnga SaNmukhan uNDenrulagam ariya undan tiruvaDi aDaindEnE malaiyO en
vinai undan karuNaittuLi irundAl vaiyam viyakka rAmadAsan tannai rakSikka nin

ramya

Post by ramya »

meena,

cittam means anger ?
what is the meaning of this line?irangAdEnaiyA shiriyEniDam aru mAmukha shiridEnum nin

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Ramya,
cittam is mind/thoughts/heart...also means consciousness
cittam irangAdadEnaiyyA - the poet is pleading with muruga (vElaiyyA - the one who wields a spear/vEl, the resident deity of tirucendUr - sendil), will your (nin) heart/mind/thoughts (cittam) not allow you to treat me, a very small person (siriyEn), with even the tiniest bit of compassion (irakkam - compassion - irangAdadEnaiyyA = irangAdadu + En + ayyA. irangAdadu - not being compassionate, En - why, ayyA - repected sir), Oh mighty six faced one?
siriyEniDam - siriyEn - small individual (small/tiny/inconspicuous) + iDam - with or to - the concept is the same as annamayyAs 'dInuda nEnu, dEvuDavu nInu'....
aru mA mukh(g)A = Oh mighty (m[ah]A) six (aru) faced (mukhA) one!

vgvindan

Post by vgvindan »

The Tamil word 'cittam' with reference God or any reverential person, generally means 'will' or 'pleasure' - Please see Dictionary examples -

உம்முடையசித்தம். (ummuDaiya cittam) According to your pleasure, as you please. சித்தத்தின்படி--சித்தமானபடி. (cittattinpaDi - cittamAnapaDi) According to one's pleasure, choice, &c. தங்கள் சித்தமெங்கள்பாக்கியம். (tangaL cittamengaL bAggiyam) Your pleasure is the source of our happiness; if you will it, we are made happy.

ramya

Post by ramya »

thank you

ramya

Post by ramya »

meena looks like there is a line missing in the lyrics u have given me.when i listened to the anu pallavi there is something like
bhaktha irangum dheenabandhu enru unnai nambi.is this line correct.pls give me the missing line.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

There is indeed a line missing. It is my mistake. I think Meena might have got the text from my lyrics CD.
Here is the corrected version:

cittam irangAdEnaiyyA. rAgA: shahAnA. cApu tALA.

P: cittam irangAdEnayya sendil vElayyA
nin cittam irangAdEnayyA siriyEniDam aru mAmukha siridEnum nin
A: cittam irangAdEnaiyA shiriyEniDam aru mAmukha shiridEnum
nin bhaktark-kirangum dIna bandhu enrunnai nambi
C: paghal iravum paNindu pDdi bhajikkum enpAl nin talaiyil malai vIzhndAlum
tAnga SaNmukhan uNDenrulagam ariya undan tiruvaDi aDaindEnE malaiyO en
vinai undan karuNaittuLi irundAl vaiyam viyakka rAmadAsan tannai rakSikka nin

ashok ramani

Post by ashok ramani »

Hello All,
iam the grandson of Papanasam sivan.i had the opportunity to look at this forum very recently.I will be happy to share my views in this forum. I also would like to inform you that i have launched my webiste www.shivanisai.com an year back.
papanasam ashok ramani

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Welcome Ashok Ramani!! Your contributions will be very useful to the members of the forum. Thanks.

ashok ramani

Post by ashok ramani »

Dear lakshman,
Iam giving below the correct format of Chitam irangadenaiya song.

P :cittam irangAdEnayya sendil vElayyA (nin)
siriyEniDam aru mAmukha siridEnum nin

A :bhaktark-kirangum dIna bandhu enrunnai nambi
paghal iravum paNindu pDdi bhajikkum enpAl nin

C: talaiyil malai vIzhndAlum tAnga SaNmukhan uNDenru
Ulagam ariya undan tiruvaDi aDaindEnE
malaiyO en vinai undan karuNaittuLi irundAl
vaiyam viyakka rAmadAsan tannai rakSikka nin

ashok ramani

ashok ramani

Post by ashok ramani »

thank you vasanthakokilam