Lalitha dasar

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
Gowri RadhaKrishnan

Re: Lalitha dasar

Post by Gowri RadhaKrishnan »

Mr.shankar ,
Here is an information on how Chembai became friends with Lalithadasar my grandfather.
In 1945 ,on the 14th of September ,Chembai heard the song PAAVANAGURU in hamsanandi raagam sung by my father (T .K .RADHAKRISHNAN FLUTIST ) . Chembai was impressed and asked for a gist of the other compositions of Lalithadasar ,and suggested that the songs could reach the public if they are printed as a book.
Thus the book was printed in 1945 as LALITHADASAR KEERTHANAIGAL the script is in Telugu and Tamil with notations set by my father T K R .

I WILL SEND A SCANNED COPY OF ALL HIS KRITIS SHORTLY

cacm

Post by cacm »

THANKS FOR THE VALUABLE INFORMATION. VKV

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Gowri - are you sharing this valuable info in our forum or sending to individuals on request. I am interested to have a copy. You are blessed to be grand daughter of Lalithadasar.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Thank you! It is fascinating to hear the history behind such connections! Thank you for your generosity in sharing the compositions!

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

An ārabhī kṛti of T.G.Krishna Iyer a.k.a. Lalitādāsar (in sanskrit)

Pallavi:
vārijadala locanī māmava śrī cakrarāja vāsinī

Anupallavi:
vārijāsana murāri hārādibhir ārādhita sarasīruha padayuge

Caraṇam:
kāmeśvara manoharī śaṁkarī kāmitārtha dāyakī
kāmajanaka sahodarī sundarī kāmākṣī lalitāmbike gaurī

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_lnqrL7i0M

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Gowri RadhaKrishnan wrote:Mr.shankar ,
Here is an information on how Chembai became friends with Lalithadasar my grandfather.
In 1945 ,on the 14th of September ,Chembai heard the song PAAVANAGURU in hamsanandi raagam sung by my father (T .K .RADHAKRISHNAN FLUTIST ) . Chembai was impressed and asked for a gist of the other compositions of Lalithadasar ,and suggested that the songs could reach the public if they are printed as a book.
Thus the book was printed in 1945 as LALITHADASAR KEERTHANAIGAL the script is in Telugu and Tamil with notations set by my father T K R .

I WILL SEND A SCANNED COPY OF ALL HIS KRITIS SHORTLY
Gowri

The tunes of all songs composed by Lalithadasar( T.G.Krishna Iyer) was perhaps tuned only by Lalithadasar himself . Assuming TK Ramachandran / T K radhakrishnan did not play a part in tuning

My question #1 to you is as follows
DId Chembai tune any songs of Lalithadasar or did he just publish only the list of krithis ? I am assuming like paavanaguru (hamsanandi), another popular krithi rakshamam (gambeera nAttai) was already tuned by Lalithadasar and chembai sang in the concert?
Last edited by rajeshnat on 15 Mar 2016, 09:23, edited 1 time in total.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Initial T stands for Trichur or Trivandrum?

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

VK RAMAN wrote:Initial T stands for Trichur or Trivandrum?
Tiruppūṇittuṟā I think.

A photo of Chowdiah accompanying flautist T.K.Radhakrishnan (his brother T.K.Ramachandran is also seen):
http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp ... 037956.ece

The kṛti Rakṣamām Śaraṇāgatam bears the mudrā 'Mīnākṣīsuta' and is evidently a composition of Bangalore Śrī Nagaraj (Mīnākṣīsutar).

T.G.Krishna Iyer (Lalitādāsar) was of the same generation as Chembai, but Bangalore Nagaraj was one or two generations younger cf. http://www.karnatik.com/co1129.shtml

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Thanks srkris

Gowri RadhaKrishnan

Dear Rasika,
T stands for Thripunathura Kerela.
As regards to your question on composing ,Sri.Lalithadasr basically a civil engineer ,visited a lot of temples after his retirement. Whenever he visited ,his sonsT K RADHAKRISHNAN AND T K RAMACHANDRAN used to accompany him. Lalitha dasar used to sing in praise of the deity with his eyes closed .for Eg. The song KOLAPURANILAYE in poorvikalyani was sung at the mookambigai temple. Akhilandeswari jay jaya Shankara in Kannada (on can listen to this song on you tube played on flute by my father ).when he visited AKILANDESWARI TEMPLE Trichy.The song PAZHANIYIL MAGIZHDU Ragamalika in Palani and so on .invariably an indirect mention of the place in which the song was composed would find a place in his compositions.
Lalithadasar never sat down to compose.As and when the songs were sung ,his sons Who accompanied him noted down the songs of course ,in the original raga in which lalithadasar sang . These songs were fine tuned and set to notations by his son T K Radhakrishnan.
Sri Chembai heard my father T K Radhakrishnan sing the song Pavanaguru at the Guruvayur temple and strengthened his friendship with Lalithadasarand suggested his other compositions to be published as a book to reach the public.
Rakshamam charanagatham is NOT composed by Lalithadasar.

Gowri RadhaKrishnan

Here is an incident on his song GAJANANA PAHISADA
The song was composed on a vinayakachathurthiday.
My second brother who was around 7 years sitting on the lap of my grandfather ,asked him what the other name for kozhukattai was and he replied in the form of a song
ModakarA dayA karA Vidhya dhaayaka Shankara
Agnaana Thimira Bhaskara Sri lalitha Priyadanaya

The charanam of the song
Then he sang Gajaanana PAHISADA the Pallavi in jaganmohini raagam

He never sat down to write songs .The grace of THE ALMIGHTY.was showered on him.

Gowri RadhaKrishnan

I shall scan the songs of Sri lalithadasar in the original form which is transcribed in Telugu also

Gowri RadhaKrishnan

T.G.Krishna Iyer used to conduct bhajans those days which was attended by the legends of those days including M.S.amma and AVINASHALONGAM Chettiyar of Coimbatore.
The title LALITHADASAR was conferred on T.G.Krishna Iyer by KALKI KRISHNAMURTHY JI.

randomhari

Post by randomhari »

Chembai's "Ennil kanintha" (Shankarabharanam: Lalithadasar) is one of the most beautiful Carnatic pieces recorded.
His Kalyani rendition of Un Perumai (Lalithadasar) is also beautiful.

JAYASHANKAR MENON

Post by JAYASHANKAR MENON »

Can anyone send kriti " VIHARAMUDA mama hridaye satatam" by lalitadasarji.I need lyrics and and song rendered by any vocalist.regards.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

virahamudA. rAgA: mOhana. Adi tALA. Lalitadasar.

P: virahamudA mama hrdayE satatam tuhInagiri sutE pAhi varadE
A: mahanIya guNE mahiSadamanE mOha timira hara mOhana nayanE
C: niravadhi karuNE bhavabhaya haraNE nIraja bhava hari haranuta caraNE
sharaNAgata saubhAgya vitaraNE sharaNam lalitE bhaktAbharaNE

prabhu53

Post by prabhu53 »

Pl visit https://prabhusponder.com/2020/08/18/th ... on-prayer/ for Tamil Translation and meaning of each Sanskrit Word Of Lalitha Dasar composition Pavana Guru