Dr. Shrikaanth K Murthy

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
arasi

Post by arasi »

Sorry, can't resist taking the Erode route (pun mannan) and say:
physician-'psych'cician-musician :)
Last edited by arasi on 24 Oct 2009, 09:29, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

..also he is not only
'sangeetha marutthuvar' but also 'sanketi marutthuvar' :)
For those who don't know let me remind that DRS is equally versatile in
Tamil /Telugu(?) and Sanskrit... as is natural for any noted Vaggeyakara/musician!

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

I understand that CDs of Dr Shrikanth Murthy's compositions are going to be released shortly. If this is so, congratulations, SrI SrIkAnth Sir! A well deserved honor to a great cyber-guru and 'e'-vAggEyakara :-).

arasi

Post by arasi »

And a 'vaidya' kara (one who practises healing) or kArar in tamizh, as in vAdyak kArar (one who plays an instrument like nagasvaram)!

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

CD Release of Dr Shirkaanth Murthy's Compositions @Bengalooru this weekend:

More details here: http://neelanjana.wordpress.com/2009/10 ... -sourabha/

Rasikas in Bengalooru can take advantage of this :)

-Ramakriya

girish_a

Post by girish_a »

Why is this forum luminary no longer participating?

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

all the best for the function, hope bangalore brothers bring DRS compositions as a full fledged kutcheri like concert. ALso can we get the listing of CD krithis along with the raga names

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Listing Of DRS-CD Compositions
-------------------------------------------

Volume 1: Vidushi Dr T S Sathyavathi and Disciples

1. RÄÂÂ
Last edited by rajeshnat on 25 Oct 2009, 10:17, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks Rajesh
Now we await further details and some snaps from the attendees!

arasi

Post by arasi »

CML,
DRS did not attend, or at least, I ddn't hear of that. Yet, it would be intersting to see those who participated.
We always wish that CM musicians (especially vocalists when it comes to lyrics) from other southern states are welcomed by the 'natives' wholeheartedly. Adding to that, if they sing the songs of their native sons and daughters when they perform in other states, it is even better. In DRS's case, even more so, because his compositions are of such a classical mode.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Here is what we have all been eagerly waiting for:
The CD release function on the Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MGFdE9E2NA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4aeC63K2zY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHH0Cyk7esA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYGU7W887rQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q_VwTZ9OAI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTsA3dRdYhg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XfO07wKiow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD1xUVBnMr0

Since the proceedings are in Kannada some of us are at a disadvantage. One of you kindly summarize the hghlights for our edification. Thank you.

In the meantime all of us can enjoy the superb Atana Kriti of DRS on Saraswati...

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Thank for posting it here!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Shrikaanth,
I am thrilled to be part of this event (thanks to youtube) along with others on the forum who think highly of your scholarship and creative ability. I hope Ramakriya, Keerthi or Sreeni will do us the favor of translating the speech of Dr. Satyavathi. Coming from a scholar like her, it says a lot about you. I am impressed by the way she is impressed with your krutis!

CML,
Like you, she sees DRS walking in MD's steps. Another revelation for me is her comparing him with SS. While DRS walks SS's path, in some instances he overtakes him, according to her! She adds that both MD and SS have blessed him with their art. She makes a mention that she sees less of T in him!
Her argument about why singers should take up his sankEti compositions is convincing. She calls sankETi a dialect (which it is), but why it shouldn't stop ocalists from singing it is interestingly put by her.

sarasvati has blessed our young composer amply. Again, listen to DR. Satyavathi take up the word play element in his krutis.
And that tillAna! Ideal for two competing dancers in a historic film to prove their might!
How proud Padmini and K. Murthy should be about their putra and of course, Sahana and Pruthvi. Can't imagine what that little boy is going to blossom into, considering his parentage..

CML,
We may not be around when the young composer (among other things) reaches the point when he is acknowledged by the CM world as a prime vaggeyakara, but our blessings will be with him.

As for today, I can say that friends at the forum are really happy that Shrikaanth K. Murthy shared this special day with us :)
Last edited by arasi on 26 Oct 2009, 22:24, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks arasi for the gist. I certianly would love to hear and understand what is spoken. It will be quite interesting to get the full text of Satyavati's speech. Undoubtedly DRS has the honour of bringing Sanketi as a serious language for CM compositions. In that he is unique; he is neither MD or SS. Of course his sanskrit compositions and the raga selections are more MD style but again have a different appeal. His Kannada compositions are special too and donot follow any beaten up path. We know he is a linguist and knows the pulse of eminent vaggeyakaras better than any other CM virtuoso! As a performer too he is a master and hence he is a true 'Vaggeyakara' in every sense of the term. I am waiting to hear the actual Cds sung by the eminent musicians. Perhaps it should be reviewed here by our experts in due course.

It is nice to see his Proud Mom and Dad in the video. I would also like to know what was spoken. Let me add my blessings to him along with yours and welcome this Sun rise and hope to live to see it reach the zenith in due course with divine guidance!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Friends
Here is the message from DRS for those of us who could not follow it in Kannada.

[quote]Greetings to all those gathered today. It brings joy to my mind that by the grace of Mother Sharadambe, a few selected compositions of mine are being released in the form of CDs. At the same time, when I think of the determination, effort and toil of the many people responsible for my compositions coming to light today, the feeling of joy is overwhelmed by a sense of gratitude.

My first salutations to my mother and father that gave birth to me. My obeisance to my mother who not only nurtured and brought me up but also lovingly imparted all her music knowledge to me as my guru. My next remembrances are of Vidwan Maruti Prasad who infused further spirit into my music. Then I remember Sahana who as my life-partner, encouraged me and wrote notations for my compositions.

My job ended with composing. But there are those well-wishers of mine, particularly my friends from the internet that constantly galvanized me into action and filled me with enthusiasm. I would be erring if I do not recall them. Then there are those vidwans and vidushis such as T.S. Satyavathy, Sukanya Prabhakar, R.N.Srilata and R.K.Suryanarayana who encouraged me without dismissing or ignoring my efforts. My thanks are due to them. Particularly I am ever indebted to Vid ||TS Satyavathy who has a special regard for me and enlivened me apt and timely advice. My thanks to the artistes that have sung and played in the CD as well as today’s artisted, and my friend Sri. Raghavendra. I am grateful to Shimoga Rakesh and my sister Indu for the designing and timely making of the CDs. Above all I am thankful to all you artistes, connoisseurs and lovers of music, guest of honour and audience for having come today out of regard for me. Kindly forgive me if I have inadvertently forgottonen someone.

I would like to recall the words of Issac Newton here

"If I have seen further, it is only by standing on the shoulders of giants."

arasi

Post by arasi »

Any other takers for translating Dr. Satyavathi's speech? Ramkriya, Keerthi and others??

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

arasi wrote:Any other takers for translating Dr. Satyavathi's speech? Ramkriya, Keerthi and others??
I'd have loved to post a verbatim translation - work is keeping me extra busy. If no one has done it till the end of next week (when I see firefighting at work may reduce intensity), I will post a translation.

Also I was checking if getting the CDs to US of A was a possibility. If there is sufficient interest, I'll see if I can get some arrangements done. You can send a forum e-mail to me or Suji Ram if you're interested in getting the CDs

-Ramakriya
Last edited by ramakriya on 28 Oct 2009, 22:25, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Ramakriya
That is a generous offer. We would love an rxact translation. Do take your time. Also it helps to have distribution center for the CDs in NA. Do please contact DRS and let us know the feasibility. Thank you!

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

I am in contact with DRS and he will be sending me the CDs. Those who wish to obtain a copy of the CD in NA can email me. I will let you all know when I receive them.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

[ ]
Last edited by ramakriya on 28 Oct 2009, 22:26, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks Suji. Await your announcement.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Great, Suji.

CML,
Better than my sending it to you (or bringing it from India)!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Yes indeed! So it would be for all those living in NA.
I am impatient to get them and get to see a good review from one of our experts.
I do hope that the Cds contain the lyrics (and if possible translations ) (if not we need to bug the busy Ramakriya :)

arunk

Post by arunk »

Congrats Drs!!

Arun

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

Finally,I have the recently released CD's of Dr. Shrikaanth K Murthy's compositions. The compositions are in sanketi, kannada and sanskrit.
Those in NA who wish to get a copy of the CD's can email me.

I got to listen to CD's. Very nicely rendered by the vidushis Dr TS Satyavati/disciples and Dr. TS Sukanya Prabhakar. There are compositions some of us have heard DRS render before in this thread and some which are totally new. One can listen to compositions in AsampUrna melas and some compositions in rare ragas in this CD. There is "natarAjam":- in kEdAram which I learnt to play 2 y back ! :)

I'll post the list of kritis in this CD later.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks Suji! Check your email

arasi

Post by arasi »

Suji,
With Shrikaanth's permission, will you post one of those songs for all of us to hear?

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

Finally,I have the recently released CD's of Dr. Shrikaanth K Murthy's compositions. The compositions are in sanketi, kannada and sanskrit.
Those in NA who wish to get a copy of the CD's can email me.

I got to listen to CD's. Very nicely rendered by the vidushis Dr TS Satyavati/disciples and Dr. TS Sukanya Prabhakar. There are compositions some of us have heard DRS render before in this thread and some which are totally new. One can listen to compositions in AsampUrna melas and some compositions in rare ragas in this CD.

Here's the list of songs on the CDs

1. rAma UnkOkilla- kOkilArava-rUpaka
2. kallanArIti-nArirItigaula- khanDa cApu
3. nenayara nimiShame-jayaShuddhamAlavi-rUpaka
4. SritajanahitE-nAgadhvani-khanDa Jhampe
5. mInAakShi manasu kalla- Anandabhairavi- mishra cApu
6. rAjamAtangi-suraTi-Adi
7. pAlana panna-gaurI vELAvaLi-Adi
8. nAcArAmbAm namAmyaham-erukula kAmbodhi- Adi
9. narasimhAta namastE-JhanjUti-rUpaka

1. nimiShamAnu-dESIsimhArava-Ata tala varna
2. nambika ondindAka-gaula-rUpaka
3. rAjAdhirAjandE rath-madhyamAvati-mishra cApu
4. natarAjam Alokaya-kedAram- catuSra rUpaka
5. kangaLu kAmbOdillave-kAmbOdhi-rUpaka
Last edited by Suji Ram on 15 Nov 2009, 03:24, edited 1 time in total.

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

Looking forward to listen to these CDs!

Sreeni Rajarao

murthyhmg

Post by murthyhmg »

As said by arasi above it would be nice if you post any one of the renditions with the permission of Dr.Shrikanth

arasi

Post by arasi »

Look at the play of words in some sAhityAs in the list, the rAgA names embedded in the first lines, as Dr. Satyavathi pointed out in her speech. Waiting for a translation. While I understood what she was saying, I am not proficient in kannaDa to translate her speech.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

I wish somebody did :(
I would have understood somewhat if the speech was in Sankti :)

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

Very keen to hear the songs. What a scholar Dr.Shrikaanth K.Murthy is!
dEsi simhAravam, is another name for hEmavathy, isn't it?
Last edited by PUNARVASU on 15 Nov 2009, 21:05, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

I hope the CDs find their way to Chennai audio shops and sabha lobbies during the season so that rasikAs outside karnataka can buy them.

Punarvasu,
You are doubly pleased about simhAravam, aren't you? :)

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

arasi, yes- even if it means 'roar of a country lion'. :)

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

arasi wrote:I hope the CDs find their way to Chennai audio shops and sabha lobbies during the season so that rasikAs outside karnataka can buy them.
One quick point about a month back, I , DRS and cool agreed so that both me and cool will stock his cd's (sufficient quantity) and will distribute it to more folks for its stated price in chennai region. Though Cool will also take distribution rights to his native home town also in karnataka.

We have not got the cdyet , cool said he will get it when he goes to bangalore , will check and let you all know about the modalities of distribution.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Suji
By any chance can you mark the compositions in terms of which are sanketi, kannada and sanskrit.

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

Here's a link for some samples of the kritis with DRS's permission

I like the "kangaLu kAmbOdillave" the best of the best.

http://www.esnips.com/web/ShrikaantaKru ... ha-Tasters
Last edited by Suji Ram on 15 Nov 2009, 23:50, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Fine Appetizers!
I agree with you on that powerful Kambodi!
The ragas are indeed tantalizing...

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Excellent. Very nice to hear the appetizers. A combination of familiar ragas and not so familiar ragas in a variety of thalas, a very unique pair of well produced CDs indeed.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Suji,
Thank you so much!
I love the kangaLu kAmbOdillavE too, but each song has its own beauty.
DRS makes us all proud! Satyavathi's opener to all the rest, they have a majestic gait.
We see how music and composing is a part of him. We know how bright he is too. May he have a rich time of composing gems which can span a life time and with his scholarship and experience in his field, may he heal many a person in his capacity as a mental science expert as well.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

tathAstu||

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Here is a translation of what Dr Sathyavathi says about Dr Shrikaanth Murthy in this video. Not a verbatim translation, but hopefully doesn't deviate from what she says:

(This one is is not from the CD release function)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b__I3qJhLNs

"I'm presenting a composition of Dr Shrikaanth Murthy, a very talented composer of our times, as the main item in this concert. There are several reasons for me to choose this composition - the most important being that it is a composition of very high standard. Another reason is that the theme of the composition is about he greatness of teacher. This composition is in Sanketi language. As you might know, Sangeetha Vidya Sagara Sri R R Keshavamurthy was a Sanketi too, and I'm very honored to present this composition here as an offering to him. It is a very pleasant experience to this this composition with its dvitIyAkshara prAsa, antyAkshara prAsa, simple yet taught sAhitya. This composition is set in Kharaharapriya rAga, AditALa"

-Ramakriya

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Many thanks Ramakriya...
Didn't know R R Keshavamurthy was also a Sanketi as is Satyavati and Sukanya (?)...
Could you make a short list of CM elites who are Sanketis so we can keep watch when they sing DRS's compositions!

arasi

Post by arasi »

And vocalists in Karnataka and elsewhere can sing them. They can also sing the the sanskrit and kannaDa ones. SankEti krutis have a place in CM just as maNipravALam which though is an invention and is not a spoken language, found a place in CM and is appreciated by rasikAs, thanks to SwAti TirunAL.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Here is a short list of CM elites who are sanketis. I have listed just one person in each category :)

R K Shrikanthan (vocal)
S Shashank (flute)
Late R K Suryanaryanana (Veena)
R K Shriramkumar (violin)

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Arasi
You are right!
Let us expect from ALL CM artistes DRS as well as arasi compositions!

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

Are the CDs available for purchase in any shop in Chennai?

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

They will be. The CDs are just out. I will post the details as soon as I get to know!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks ramakriya
S Shashank (flute)
Late R K Suryanaryanana (Veena)
R K Shriramkumar (violin)
are indeed surprises!
No women ?