Dr. Shrikaanth K Murthy

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Welldone Suji
Let me add that all these compositions are made available for the benefit of CM learners/performers and they should always acknowledge the composer during their performance.

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

Suji Ram- Thanks for U/L DRS's Compositions.

"An haunting rAgacUDAmaNi
http://www.badongo.com/audio/11860112 "

I enjoyed this rAga as well as the composition on Goddess Saraswathi. Raga name is embedded in this sanskrit composition.
This raga, I wanted to listen since a long time. This has traces of nATai in some places. Muthuswamy Dikshitar has a composition in this rAgachUDAmaNi - "shwEtha ganapathim...."
Has any one sung this song? Rasikas can pl. provide links or U/L this song from their archives. Many thanks in advance.( Special request for s_hari.)

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Just a reminder that our DRS is an outstanding expert on Dikshatar!

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

vs_manjunath wrote: This has traces of nATai in some places. Muthuswamy Dikshitar has a composition in this rAgachUDAmaNi - "shwEtha ganapathim...."
Has any one sung this song? Rasikas can pl. provide links or U/L this song from their archives. Many thanks in advance.( Special request for s_hari.)
Yes, whenever I play nAta I am reminded of this rAgacUDAmaNi

You can listen to SwEta gaNapathim by Ashwin and Rohin on their site. Prof SRJ has sung this- should be available on S priya site.

http://www.torontobrothers.com/
Last edited by Suji Ram on 28 Oct 2008, 22:25, edited 1 time in total.

s_hari

Post by s_hari »

Manjunath - Shwetha Ganapathim by SRJ is here

http://sangeethapriya.org/Downloads/srj ... pathim.mp3

-hari

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

Suji Ram: Thanks for the Links. s_hari has provided the LINK u had mentioned.
s_hari : THANK U SO VERY MUCH. I knew, I will always be lucky with a REQUEST to you.

This song is just a BLISS.
Hats- Off to that GREAT COMPOSER Sri Muthuswami Dikshitar !!! Too Unique for Mortals like us to understand MD.

laxmiv

Post by laxmiv »

Suji Ram,

Thanks for loading these songs by Dr. Shrikaanth K Murthy. They are all so nice. I really liked the saveri, kapi, kantaswara, Desh, hamirkalyani and the Suladi ragamalika.
If you have the notations for these songs, could you please upload them at your convenience?

Thanks. Laxmi
Last edited by laxmiv on 13 Nov 2008, 23:23, edited 1 time in total.

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

laxmiv,
I'll send it to you soon..

arasi

Post by arasi »

I heard that Dr. Satyavathi recently sang a sankEti kruti of DRS in a concert in Mysore. Would a rasikA who can get hold of it please upload it? It may help other vocalists in Karnataka to listen to it and perhaps sing it in their concerts too. Well, we rasikAs can hear it as well!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Heartily seconded!

arasi

Post by arasi »

My! Did I goof! It was at BengaLuru that Dr. Satyavathi sang Srikaant's song--at Ananya. One of our resourceful rasikAs in the city would be able to get hold of it, I hope.
Last edited by arasi on 18 Jan 2009, 22:02, edited 1 time in total.

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

arasi wrote:My! Did I goof! It was at BengaLuru that Dr. Satyavathi sang Srikaant's song--at Ananya. One of our resourceful rasikAs in the city would be able to get hold of it, I hope.
Here's the review of the concert.
http://deccanherald.com/Content/Jan1920 ... 113346.asp

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thanks, Suji. DRS is called Srikantham here! Wonder if we can hear this song sung by Satyavati...

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

well done Suji! Do we have the lyrics of Guru Kripa illade..
It is nice to know that DRS is getting recognized.
Would love to get the rendering if somebody had recorded..
Sanketi in CM is coming of age in good company...

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks Suji!

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

Refer to post # 1609 and onward:

Dr. T S Satyavathi rendering Dr. Shrikaanth Murthy's kRti gurukRpa illAde in sankEti language (kharaharapriya rAga, Adi tALa). Sadly, the last part where Dr. Satyavathi sings swara and the tani portion is missing. But, what we have is delightful!

It is also nice to see that the concert was dedicated to Sri. R R Keshavamurthy. Don't miss the first part where Dr. T S S speaks about the kRti and DR. D R S!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b__I3qJhLNs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am73QuZeB_s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWWxs1FFaUY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0_wR3Hg0Bc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc5yUIEIM_0

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Many thanks! The song and the rendering can be classified as top-class CM.
DRS deserves full credit for shaping Sanketi to be a CM language! All of his pioneering compositions in that language are gems. Perhaps when his greatness is realized by Performers he may one day be called 'Sanketi Thyagaraja' as they did with P Sivan.
I can see how much Satyavati is enjoying the song as much as it is in her mother tongue!
Let us hope more of DRS's compositions will see the concert stage in the Future!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Not forgetting all his kannaDa compositions...
As an elder (in age) to the young (but much mature) composer---may there be hundreds of classy compositions by DRS. I say it with even more force because he encourages me all along, too :)

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

I am not sure if sankEti is Dr. Satyavathi's mother tongue.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

I thought so! DRS will know for sure...

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

cmlover wrote: I can see how much Satyavati is enjoying the song as much as it is in her mother tongue!
Sanketi is indeed vidushi T S Satyavati's mother tongue too.

arasi

Post by arasi »

I thought as much too. Even otherwise, she is a scholar in music and would pay enough attention to the words in a song, in any language.

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

Sreeni- Nice for the links. Enjoyed DRS's sankethi song sung by another musicologist Sankethi Dr TSS.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

arasi wrote:Not forgetting all his kannaDa compositions...
As an elder (in age) to the young (but much mature) composer---may there be hundreds of classy compositions by DRS. I say it with even more force because he encourages me all along, too :)
Let us not forget that the elder is equally versatile in Kannada too in addition to her mother tongue!
But DRS is unique in having brought Sankethi into the CM fold...as also he is a physician-musician!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Sorry, can't resist taking the Erode route (pun mannan) and say:
physician-'psych'cician-musician :)
Last edited by arasi on 24 Oct 2009, 09:29, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

..also he is not only
'sangeetha marutthuvar' but also 'sanketi marutthuvar' :)
For those who don't know let me remind that DRS is equally versatile in
Tamil /Telugu(?) and Sanskrit... as is natural for any noted Vaggeyakara/musician!

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

I understand that CDs of Dr Shrikanth Murthy's compositions are going to be released shortly. If this is so, congratulations, SrI SrIkAnth Sir! A well deserved honor to a great cyber-guru and 'e'-vAggEyakara :-).

arasi

Post by arasi »

And a 'vaidya' kara (one who practises healing) or kArar in tamizh, as in vAdyak kArar (one who plays an instrument like nagasvaram)!

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

CD Release of Dr Shirkaanth Murthy's Compositions @Bengalooru this weekend:

More details here: http://neelanjana.wordpress.com/2009/10 ... -sourabha/

Rasikas in Bengalooru can take advantage of this :)

-Ramakriya

girish_a

Post by girish_a »

Why is this forum luminary no longer participating?

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

all the best for the function, hope bangalore brothers bring DRS compositions as a full fledged kutcheri like concert. ALso can we get the listing of CD krithis along with the raga names

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Listing Of DRS-CD Compositions
-------------------------------------------

Volume 1: Vidushi Dr T S Sathyavathi and Disciples

1. RÄÂÂ
Last edited by rajeshnat on 25 Oct 2009, 10:17, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks Rajesh
Now we await further details and some snaps from the attendees!

arasi

Post by arasi »

CML,
DRS did not attend, or at least, I ddn't hear of that. Yet, it would be intersting to see those who participated.
We always wish that CM musicians (especially vocalists when it comes to lyrics) from other southern states are welcomed by the 'natives' wholeheartedly. Adding to that, if they sing the songs of their native sons and daughters when they perform in other states, it is even better. In DRS's case, even more so, because his compositions are of such a classical mode.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Here is what we have all been eagerly waiting for:
The CD release function on the Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MGFdE9E2NA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4aeC63K2zY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHH0Cyk7esA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYGU7W887rQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q_VwTZ9OAI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTsA3dRdYhg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XfO07wKiow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD1xUVBnMr0

Since the proceedings are in Kannada some of us are at a disadvantage. One of you kindly summarize the hghlights for our edification. Thank you.

In the meantime all of us can enjoy the superb Atana Kriti of DRS on Saraswati...

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Thank for posting it here!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Shrikaanth,
I am thrilled to be part of this event (thanks to youtube) along with others on the forum who think highly of your scholarship and creative ability. I hope Ramakriya, Keerthi or Sreeni will do us the favor of translating the speech of Dr. Satyavathi. Coming from a scholar like her, it says a lot about you. I am impressed by the way she is impressed with your krutis!

CML,
Like you, she sees DRS walking in MD's steps. Another revelation for me is her comparing him with SS. While DRS walks SS's path, in some instances he overtakes him, according to her! She adds that both MD and SS have blessed him with their art. She makes a mention that she sees less of T in him!
Her argument about why singers should take up his sankEti compositions is convincing. She calls sankETi a dialect (which it is), but why it shouldn't stop ocalists from singing it is interestingly put by her.

sarasvati has blessed our young composer amply. Again, listen to DR. Satyavathi take up the word play element in his krutis.
And that tillAna! Ideal for two competing dancers in a historic film to prove their might!
How proud Padmini and K. Murthy should be about their putra and of course, Sahana and Pruthvi. Can't imagine what that little boy is going to blossom into, considering his parentage..

CML,
We may not be around when the young composer (among other things) reaches the point when he is acknowledged by the CM world as a prime vaggeyakara, but our blessings will be with him.

As for today, I can say that friends at the forum are really happy that Shrikaanth K. Murthy shared this special day with us :)
Last edited by arasi on 26 Oct 2009, 22:24, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks arasi for the gist. I certianly would love to hear and understand what is spoken. It will be quite interesting to get the full text of Satyavati's speech. Undoubtedly DRS has the honour of bringing Sanketi as a serious language for CM compositions. In that he is unique; he is neither MD or SS. Of course his sanskrit compositions and the raga selections are more MD style but again have a different appeal. His Kannada compositions are special too and donot follow any beaten up path. We know he is a linguist and knows the pulse of eminent vaggeyakaras better than any other CM virtuoso! As a performer too he is a master and hence he is a true 'Vaggeyakara' in every sense of the term. I am waiting to hear the actual Cds sung by the eminent musicians. Perhaps it should be reviewed here by our experts in due course.

It is nice to see his Proud Mom and Dad in the video. I would also like to know what was spoken. Let me add my blessings to him along with yours and welcome this Sun rise and hope to live to see it reach the zenith in due course with divine guidance!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Friends
Here is the message from DRS for those of us who could not follow it in Kannada.

[quote]Greetings to all those gathered today. It brings joy to my mind that by the grace of Mother Sharadambe, a few selected compositions of mine are being released in the form of CDs. At the same time, when I think of the determination, effort and toil of the many people responsible for my compositions coming to light today, the feeling of joy is overwhelmed by a sense of gratitude.

My first salutations to my mother and father that gave birth to me. My obeisance to my mother who not only nurtured and brought me up but also lovingly imparted all her music knowledge to me as my guru. My next remembrances are of Vidwan Maruti Prasad who infused further spirit into my music. Then I remember Sahana who as my life-partner, encouraged me and wrote notations for my compositions.

My job ended with composing. But there are those well-wishers of mine, particularly my friends from the internet that constantly galvanized me into action and filled me with enthusiasm. I would be erring if I do not recall them. Then there are those vidwans and vidushis such as T.S. Satyavathy, Sukanya Prabhakar, R.N.Srilata and R.K.Suryanarayana who encouraged me without dismissing or ignoring my efforts. My thanks are due to them. Particularly I am ever indebted to Vid ||TS Satyavathy who has a special regard for me and enlivened me apt and timely advice. My thanks to the artistes that have sung and played in the CD as well as today’s artisted, and my friend Sri. Raghavendra. I am grateful to Shimoga Rakesh and my sister Indu for the designing and timely making of the CDs. Above all I am thankful to all you artistes, connoisseurs and lovers of music, guest of honour and audience for having come today out of regard for me. Kindly forgive me if I have inadvertently forgottonen someone.

I would like to recall the words of Issac Newton here

"If I have seen further, it is only by standing on the shoulders of giants."

arasi

Post by arasi »

Any other takers for translating Dr. Satyavathi's speech? Ramkriya, Keerthi and others??

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

arasi wrote:Any other takers for translating Dr. Satyavathi's speech? Ramkriya, Keerthi and others??
I'd have loved to post a verbatim translation - work is keeping me extra busy. If no one has done it till the end of next week (when I see firefighting at work may reduce intensity), I will post a translation.

Also I was checking if getting the CDs to US of A was a possibility. If there is sufficient interest, I'll see if I can get some arrangements done. You can send a forum e-mail to me or Suji Ram if you're interested in getting the CDs

-Ramakriya
Last edited by ramakriya on 28 Oct 2009, 22:25, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Ramakriya
That is a generous offer. We would love an rxact translation. Do take your time. Also it helps to have distribution center for the CDs in NA. Do please contact DRS and let us know the feasibility. Thank you!

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

I am in contact with DRS and he will be sending me the CDs. Those who wish to obtain a copy of the CD in NA can email me. I will let you all know when I receive them.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

[ ]
Last edited by ramakriya on 28 Oct 2009, 22:26, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks Suji. Await your announcement.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Great, Suji.

CML,
Better than my sending it to you (or bringing it from India)!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Yes indeed! So it would be for all those living in NA.
I am impatient to get them and get to see a good review from one of our experts.
I do hope that the Cds contain the lyrics (and if possible translations ) (if not we need to bug the busy Ramakriya :)

arunk

Post by arunk »

Congrats Drs!!

Arun

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

Finally,I have the recently released CD's of Dr. Shrikaanth K Murthy's compositions. The compositions are in sanketi, kannada and sanskrit.
Those in NA who wish to get a copy of the CD's can email me.

I got to listen to CD's. Very nicely rendered by the vidushis Dr TS Satyavati/disciples and Dr. TS Sukanya Prabhakar. There are compositions some of us have heard DRS render before in this thread and some which are totally new. One can listen to compositions in AsampUrna melas and some compositions in rare ragas in this CD. There is "natarAjam":- in kEdAram which I learnt to play 2 y back ! :)

I'll post the list of kritis in this CD later.