Kalyani Varadarajan

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
sarojaraman

Re: Kalyani Varadarajan

Post by sarojaraman »

I am a new member to this forum. I am a disciple and daughter in law of Smt. KV. A CD on the compositions of KV sung by SRI Surya Prakash along with a book of 32 compositions are being released in Cleveland on the 26th March during the Cleveland Tyagaraja festival. CD and books are available there. We will be participating in the festival.

sarojaraman

Re: Smt. Kalyani Varadarajan

Post by sarojaraman »

The compositions of KV sung by R. Surya Prakash has come out very well. Excellant rendition of each kriti with dedication and Bhavam just as the composer would have thought about. We are waiting for the release on the 26th March in CLEVELAND. :)

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

saroja raman
Thank you may I know when was Smt Kalyani varadarajan born and when she passed away. Also a little more about her early training . I am surprised that she studied very less. Was all her compositions tuned by herself. DId TRS , SKR and Srajam all play a part . Tell us a lot by writing a long post . My personal touchpoint with her was when I heard TRS singing Aparna and payOrASi in recordings and I had two live bhagyams one to hear when radha venkatachalam sang payOrAsi and recently when suryaprakash sang the kanikarumbutO in bhavAni.

Your MIL is a brilliant vageyakkara-who has bought in a lot of positivity and expanded the CM horizon.

sarojaraman

Post by sarojaraman »

There few kritis sung by HYd. Bros. also like natakurinji ( nannubrochuba) and maanidhi (Kalyani ragam). I can share the recordings pl.

sarojaraman

Post by sarojaraman »

Rajeshnat

Born in 1926 and passed away In 2003. All the kritis have been tuned by her only. This I have witnessed myself. I understand she had early training with Papa Venkatarammaiah. Having born in a family of musician she had inclination to compose songs even in her early days of training. Her father was a Sanskrit scholar so it is passed on to her which she used in the kritis. HYd. Brothers and also sisters have sung many kritis of KV. We are in the process of propagating her songs, so that more people are benefited by it. For more details pl. see a news brief in worldmusiccentral.org .

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

sarojaraman wrote: For more details pl. see a news brief in worldmusiccentral.org .
Sarojaraman,
Thank you for this lovely article, i just searched that site and found this

http://worldmusiccentral.org/2016/03/20 ... e-century/

Apart from TRS,SKR, SRajam, Hyd brothers, Suryaprakash - I also see Madurai Somu has sung her krithis - balE balE. Can you squeeze your memory to let us know what krithi madurai somu has sung of your MIL.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Attn VRV - Vinod Venkataraman
There is violin and mumbai commonality between your mother and Kalyani varadarajan, Any inputs there?

Attn MKR SIr
YOu must have known KV , any recollections in your usually brilliant style ?

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

rajeshnat wrote:
sarojaraman wrote: For more details pl. see a news brief in worldmusiccentral.org .
Sarojaraman,
Thank you for this lovely article, i just searched that site and found this

http://worldmusiccentral.org/2016/03/20 ... e-century/

Apart from TRS,SKR, SRajam, Hyd brothers, Suryaprakash - I also see Madurai Somu has sung her krithis - balE balE. Can you squeeze your memory to let us know what krithi madurai somu has sung of your MIL.
Thanks for the link ! Yes, indeed I also would like to know about Madurai Somu!

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

I was informed that Somu used to sing a song beginning as SapthagirIsam . But it does not seem to be by Kalyani Varadarajan.

sarojaraman

Post by sarojaraman »

Madurai some sang Mayur vaahana in shanmukhapriya ragam a composition of KV.

sarojaraman

Post by sarojaraman »

CD containing the compositions of Kalyani Varadarajan and a book of 32 kritis are available with us . Can mail it to the address you want me to send. It is now available in Cleveland till the end of their festival I.e. 3rd April.In the swathi stall. Also in Toronto on the 11th April during Mandrams festival. Also available during SIFA series during April.

sarojaraman

Post by sarojaraman »

Hyderabad bros sang 2 kriti in Natakurinji and Kalyani:
Ragam nattakurinji.
https://Youtu.be/jzVSv4kETjl
Ragam Kalyani
https://Youtu.be/kjGwLwWNh4Y
Tanjavur Kalyanaraman. - Bhavani
Https://Youtu.be/_f0MQl12eVM

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

sarojaraman wrote:Hyderabad bros sang 2 kriti in Natakurinji and Kalyani:
Ragam nattakurinji.
https://Youtu.be/jzVSv4kETjl
Ragam Kalyani
https://Youtu.be/kjGwLwWNh4Y
Tanjavur Kalyanaraman. - Bhavani
Https://Youtu.be/_f0MQl12eVM
sarojaraman
THe nattaikurinji link gives the video not available
The kalyani krithi mAnidhi kAntaku is well done - looks your MIL has crafted a lot of swaraksharam in krithi.

sarojaraman

Post by sarojaraman »

Try in you tube - HYd. Bros. - Kalyani varadarajan

rajeshnat

Kalyani Varadarajan

Post by rajeshnat »

parivadhini wrote: 5.Vana nidhi kanya??? - chandrakowns - s rajam
Lalitharam
I just heard one of the song that you mentioned vana nidhi kanyakAm . Suryaprakash has sung this in the cd in the ragam ManOranjani and not candrakowns. Lovely rendition . May be you are mistaken it as chandrakowns

Sarojaraman
Are there two songs vana nidhi kanyakAm one in manoranjani and one in chandrakowns. Do you recollect what srajam sang.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

googled to find bit more about manoranjani and I got this link of kalyani varadarajan cd release. kalyani varadarajan is the first Violinist from India to participate in the Cleveland Thyagaraja Festival way back in 1979
http://www.carnaticdarbar.com/news/201601/20160317.asp

sarojaraman

Post by sarojaraman »

Vananidhi kanyakAm is In Manoranjani. S.Rajam sang Vani veena paani in Revati raga.

parivadini

Post by parivadini »

Dear Rajesh,

The song I have heard was part of a live concert and Rajam sir makes an announcement and I believe Chandrakauns and Manoranjani are significantly different to get confused.

parivadini

Post by parivadini »

Btw. I have had this discussion with Smt. Saroja Raman on the same topic a few years back. Please find below excerpts from our conversation:
Saroja Raman <sarojaraman@gmail.com>
3/15/13

Thank you for the prompt reply. Regarding the training, performance of the composer i will let u know shortly.

Incidently, S. Rajam Sir was our good friend and stayed with us when he came for the concert in Delhi. I have heard the Bhavani kriti sung by him personally and the other song 'Vana nidhi' is in Manoranjani raga.
I will also send the photo of the composer alongwith other details
ok awating your feed back on this

Dear Saroja Ma'am,

I just checked my collections, The song in chandrakauns is also 'Vana nidhi kanya varam - vandEham Vasudevam'. He also announces that it is a composition of Kalyani Varadarajan.

Best Regards

Ram
Saroja Raman <sarojaraman@gmail.com>
3/15/13

sir
you r correct sir, Vana nidhi kanya varam is in the raga Chandrakons and Vana nidhi kanyakam is in the raga Manoranjani.

regards

saroja

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

lalitharam wrote:Vana nidhi kanya varam is in the raga Chandrakons and Vana nidhi kanyakam is in the raga Manoranjani.
lalitharam
The thorough person that you are , you will never make a mistake that too with srajam,thanks for the clarification.
I am still waiting for the chandrakowns upload of s rajam

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Pasupathy: vANI vINApANi can be heard here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1bgffu72GA

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

The following are additional kritis of Kalyani Varadarajan that are in the recently released book, at Cleveland Festival:
pAhimAm shrI (tv) - shubhapantuvarALi - Adi
rAjarAjEshvari (pv)- vAcaspati - Adi
shrI amrta phalAmbikE - cakravAka - cApu
kaNkaNDa deivam - bhUSAvaLi - Adi
shrI nArasimham - shahAnA - k/cApu
bhava kaDal - bhAnugIrvANi - Adi
kanucallaga - kanakAngi - Adi
kSamAdi guNa - lalitA - Adi
murugA vA - kAmbhOji - Adi
sAgarasutam - kalyANavasantA - Adi
vananidhi kanyakAm - manOranjani - Adi

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

Lakshman wrote:Pasupathy: vANI vINApANi can be heard here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1bgffu72GA
Thanks, Lakshman!

parivadini

Post by parivadini »

I got a couple of pics of teh composer from her grandson. Posted it i my blog along with the article I had written i 2014: https://carnaticmusicreview.wordpress.c ... radarajan/

parivadini

Post by parivadini »

Many renditions of compositions by the composer herself are in this channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkRkX6 ... zlg/videos

parivadini

Post by parivadini »

rajeshnat wrote: 11 Apr 2016, 10:17
lalitharam wrote:Vana nidhi kanya varam is in the raga Chandrakons and Vana nidhi kanyakam is in the raga Manoranjani.
lalitharam
The thorough person that you are , you will never make a mistake that too with srajam,thanks for the clarification.
I am still waiting for the chandrakowns upload of s rajam
Upload here Rajesh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q18m-W55UM

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Question: What/who does vana nidhi kanyA refer to? Trying to understand what vana nidhi means.

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

rshankar wrote: 01 Mar 2019, 20:20 Question: What/who does vana nidhi kanyA refer to? Trying to understand what vana nidhi means.
vananidhi = Ocean
vananidhi kanya = Daughter of Ocean = Goddess Lakshmi

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

🙏🏽

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

Pratyaksham Bala wrote: 22 Apr 2020, 00:11
rshankar wrote: 01 Mar 2019, 20:20 Question: What/who does vana nidhi kanyA refer to? Trying to understand what vana nidhi means.
vananidhi = Ocean
vananidhi kanya = Daughter of Ocean = Goddess Lakshmi
PB,

In one of his compositions, my Father (Veena Raja Rao) has used the word vanadhi as in vanadhi Sayana suramunijana pOsha.

Would that be an acceptable usage to say vanadhi instead of vananidhi?

All other references in this kRti are for Vishnu, so I am reading this also as a reference to Vishnu (similar to sAgara Sayana)

Thank you!

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

Sreeni Rajarao ji,

In the kriti 'rArA nannElukOrA' Tyagaraja has used the word 'vanadhi' to indicate 'Ocean'.

Hope other well versed members may help clarify.

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

Thank you PB(ji!). Please call me Sreeni (ji not necessary!)