Vijay Siddharth

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
vijay.siddharth

Vijay Siddharth

Post by vijay.siddharth »

Dear All

As a student of music, I have composed multiple small krithis, padams, varnams, and thillanas, as well as multiple pallavis in a variety of ragas, implementing the axioms of the theory of music that I learn. Hence, through this thread, I wish to share with you my compositions. I would also be much obliged if you were able to give me some feedback about the same, if it isn't a big worry with you. My singing is not that good (I haven't been trained), but I hope that that won't be too much of a distraction from the 'merits' of my compositions. Please transfer this thread elsewhere or lock it if this goes against any forum rules/customs.

Cheers

Siddharth

narayara000

Re: Vijay Siddharth

Post by narayara000 »

vijay.siddharth wrote: 29 May 2017, 16:05 Dear All

As a student of music, I have composed multiple small krithis, padams, varnams, and thillanas, as well as multiple pallavis in a variety of ragas, implementing the axioms of the theory of music that I learn. Hence, through this thread, I wish to share with you my compositions. I would also be much obliged if you were able to give me some feedback about the same, if it isn't a big worry with you. My singing is not that good (I haven't been trained), but I hope that that won't be too much of a distraction from the 'merits' of my compositions. Please transfer this thread elsewhere or lock it if this goes against any forum rules/customs.

Cheers

Siddharth
please post your compsitions

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Please transfer this thread elsewhere or lock it if this goes against any forum rules/customs.
1. You may omit the paranoia. You can actually say anything on this forum short of actual abuse without official interference.
2. The way to find out about our rules and customs is to read the rules and browse the forums.

Carry on... :D

arasi

Post by arasi »

Vijay Siddharth,
Where are your songs? Post them.

narayara000

Post by narayara000 »

vijay.siddharth wrote: 29 May 2017, 16:05 Dear All

Cheers

Siddharth
Again, please post

vijay.siddharth

Post by vijay.siddharth »

Dear all,

I am really sorry- I had forgotten the thread existed until Mr Narayara000 posted this comment!

The sad part is that (and I don't know how to put it) is that, come June and July, I was confronted by an inordinate amount of schoolwork, plus a lot of pressure from teachers. This was also compounded by the stress of being in an extremely unpleasant school environment, trying to keep my quiz team afloat and its related politics, finishing up my novel for publication, university applications, and so on. As a result, the conducive (that is, indifferent to my surroundings) environment which allowed me to come up with new songs went away rather suddenly, and I hadn't taken the care to document the compositions (I remember composing a varnam in Surutti and one in Sowrashtram vaguely, but nothing more). Hence, I am unable to come up wit compositions until I go to a more pleasant and less stressful environment, which I don't see happening until next May (when I finish my final exams and I am free from the bondage of school).

If I do remember some of my compositions, or if I come up with some more compositions, I will definitely try to post.

Yours apologetically

Vijay Siddharth :(

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

Rule No.1 -- when making a composition - don't fail to document it and record it after polishing.

Given your age, there'll be plenty of changes, sleepless nights and transitions happening at least until you are 30 -- I don't want to sound cynical, but looking at where I was 10 years ago it just gets harder and harder. Some of the stuff you'll have to face later on will make high school homework look like a cakewalk at times, but you won't get that till the experience hits. The good news though is that you will also get physically and mentally stronger and more productive, so hit that gym and do cardio in a couple of years and take care of your hair while you still have plenty of it. :mrgreen: And do start yoga and meditation before all these modern day diseases hit you, cause once they do, you're stuck with them for life.

So, most important take care of your creations. If you don't keep flexing that idea muscle and keeping it in shape as a habit, you might get reluctant to invest the time and energy down the road (that's what I see in older people -- they can't invest 2 weeks to learn a new skill for various reasons). If you can't work on an idea now, write it somewhere where you'll open it and see those frequently. You get ideas, but if you're familiar with forgetting curves, you'll realize you'll forget 90% of them in a week's time without refreshing your memory.

Create a routine of habits that will carry you through the day so it doesn't burn you out. Good luck, keep the ideas flowing. Quite a few of them might sufficiently evolve to stand the test of time (and that is actually the hard part about ideas -- bringing them to maturity). You might eveb be able to share them later on.
Last edited by SrinathK on 16 Aug 2017, 13:46, edited 1 time in total.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

There is a golden adage that many wise men live by. I recall the words as follows. But dear Varsha with his infinite, colourful, resources, can come up with better stuff.

Adage #1. Don't bother with people over 30. Their sad lives are only trouble and irredeemable.
Adage #2. Never trust those over 30. They just mean no good.

By the way, almost ALL IT professionals live by these wise words. Perhaps the inly thing worthwhile in their belief system. However they make exceptions, albeit only for venture capitalists and angel investors.