G.N. Balasubramaniam (GNB)

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
thenpaanan

Re: G.N. Balasubramaniam (GNB)

Post by thenpaanan »

Enna_Solven wrote:I am listening to GNB's vara ragalaya in chenju kambhoji from his 1965 Kallidaikurichi concert (from Sangeethapriya). This is a nine minute long rendering with raga alapana for about 3 minutes. I have 7 other versions where no one does alapana. Why? Is it that only he could do that for rare ragas?
Isn't that capsule of chenjukanmbhoji a marvel and a thing of beauty? I can only hazard a guess to answer your question. What musicians choose to sing or not sing has as much to do with their personalities as anything else. To me the most significant characteristic of GNB's personality was his constant striving for innovation. He was always trying something new all through his career -- sometimes that meant taking risks with audience support or even his own voice. In his later concerts one can tell that his voice is not able to keep up with his imagination. One could argue that GNB got away with it with his golden voice and die-hard followers but consider that a different musician would have tried to eschew risk and sing what is easy and that would have still led to very successful concerts (after all he was immensely popular at all times). But GNB risked the ire of critics and disappointment of his fans late in life by taking those risks and perhaps that is a big reason his music is ever-fresh, why we are still listening to him after decades and generations of musicians since his passing away. Singing alapana for rare ragas (like singing neraval at unusual places), while not an innovation by itself, was probably driven by a desire to innovate at all times, to do things that were new. He must have inspired admiration (and perhaps also envy) from his peers (ARI, SSI, Ramnad Krishnan, etc) who were giants in their own right but could not innovate as much or in those particular ways. TNS is in this mould among contemporary musicians in that he too seems to attach a very high premium to innovation. Any suggestions on who in the younger generations is taking on the particular mantle of innovation?

-Then Paanan

Gamakam

Post by Gamakam »

Second song in the 'Celebrating GNB' series is 'Nee Daya Radha' - the varnam in Andholika. Feels good to be back after a long hibernation.

As usual we have write-ups in English and Tamil (I'm sure that will make Rajesh happy:-)

In English: http://octaves.blogspot.com/2010/05/cel ... olika.html

In Tamil: http://carnaticmusicreview.wordpress.co ... ya-varnam/

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Gamakam wrote:As usual we have write-ups in English and Tamil (I'm sure that will make Rajesh happy:-)
Gamakam - thank you for sharing...The write-up in English makes me (among many others) very happy!! :D

cpblog

Some recollections of the great GNB from "Parvathi", Mysore

Post by cpblog »

Dear Rasikas,

Posted some GNB recollections from Mysore along with a 1971 veena concert of Vidwan ESS.
http://chowdaiahandparvati.blogspot.com/
Last edited by cpblog on 19 Jun 2010, 18:10, edited 1 time in total.

ragam-talam

Re: Some recollections of the great GNB from "Parvathi", Mys

Post by ragam-talam »

cpblog wrote:Dear Rasikas,

Posted some GNB recollections from Mysore along with a 1971 veena concert of Vidwan ESS.
Where??

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

It must be charulata website

gienbee

Re:

Post by gienbee »

new_cmfan wrote:Lakshmanji
I have heard a song called sudhA mAdhurya in vandanatAriNi that isn't in your list. Is that by GNB? I thought it was...
This song in Vandana Dharini, was popular when my brother was alive, but I had my own doubt whether it was his composition. But later I came to know that Sri Calcutta Krishnamurthy, who was a constant visitor to our house has clarified that only my brother has composed it. It is unfortunate that Sri Kalyanaraman is not alive to-day to confirm this with authority.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

rajeshnat wrote: You can share all about your illustrious brother "GNB" . I am especially fond of him as a vaggeyakkara , almost every krithi of his was well rounded both musically and lyrically (atleast those in thamizh that I understand) . You can share about his disciples and how they learnt ranging from SKR , MLV, Trichur rAmachandran etal with GNB.
On a side note , I have heard thru grapevine that his best of recordings did not get released at all for many reasons some can be stated , some cannot be . Possibly few pointers there would immensely help all of us
GNB Jr answered :
-----------------------
Reg his best recordings, I wish to state, the recordings which we are doing the rounds and are available are all after 1952 or 1953, after his first heart-attack. As you may know, there are no recordings of his music prior to 1950 and40s are supposed to be the most glorious period of his music. Even the recordings we now have, many of them are thanks to Mr Venkatakrishna Iyer, father of Mr Someswara Babu, a disciple of my brother. For many of the concerts, he will come in his car and take my brother for the concert and drop him back. Unfortunately, most of these recordings have been lost due to Babu not taking care to preserve them carefully. We cannot blame him also as, he was busy accompanying my brother and after my brother's demise, he shifted to Bombay to teach music. Ih his busy schedule there, he could not take sufficient care. We however thank him and his father for what we have to-day. As far as O know, there is no other reason.

Reg his disciples, SKR was an intellectual, who used to argue with my brother with reg to several things and only after my brother clarified them to his satisfaction, he will leave it. If I remember correct, he started learning from brother from 1948-1950, while we were in T. nagar. He was brilliant and my brother used to ask for his (he used to discuss with alldisciples )views after each concert. He used to discuss freely with them. He used to advise his disciples to listen to the music of all the stalwarts like Ariyakudi, Chembai, Musiri, Semmangudi, Alathur Madurai Mani Iyer etc.. and imbibe what is best in each of them. He was extremely happy that SKR followed this advise to the spirit and evolved his own style, without deviating from the bani set by my brother, while he was himself alive to see it happen.

Reg MLV, she joined him as disciple a bit later, if I remember correct. She was an exemplary student. She used to listen to my brother singing a kriti once and she will memorize it . I know that when my brother sang RTP of Latangi, Natabhairavi etc, she used to sing them in her next concert. She had such a photographic memory. My brother also has learnt a few Purandaradasa kritis from her as he never felt shy to learn music from any source.
Reg TVR, he joined my brother in 1960 or 1961 and continued his training under him in Trivandrum, until my brother passed away in May, 1965. He is very sincere in his devotion to his Guru and to this day, he carries the tradition as his torch-bearer with utmost devotion.

I will be sharing my thoughts as and whensuch requests as received from ardent rasikas like you. Thanks.

satyabalu

Post by satyabalu »

GNB's Tamburas.

*SKA.Chinglepet Ranganathan has one presented to him.(He has personally shown me the one)
*Vid.Trivandrum K.Krishnakumar -Told me he was presented the one used by MLV.
*Just wanted to share this information.

satyabalu

Post by satyabalu »

Any link available for his Kannada composition-Ento moralida Eda?

Gamakam

Post by Gamakam »

Third Song in the 'Celebrating GNB' series is 'Nee paadamE Gathi' in Nalinakanthi.

I didn't have the time for write-ups in both English and Tamil. I thought of writing in Tamil first and then remembered rajeshnat:-) Chose to write in English.

Link here: http://octaves.blogspot.com/2010/09/cel ... hi-in.html

Gamakam

Post by Gamakam »

Fourth Song in 'Celebrating GNB Series' is "Kamala CharanE" in Amrita Behag.

Sindhuja's rendition accompanied by my short write-up can seen here: http://octaves.blogspot.com/2010/10/cel ... ne-in.html

A write up on the kriti in Tamil can be read here: http://carnaticmusicreview.wordpress.co ... nbkriti-4/

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Gamakam wrote:Third Song in the 'Celebrating GNB' series is 'Nee paadamE Gathi' in Nalinakanthi.
I didn't have the time for write-ups in both English and Tamil. I thought of writing in Tamil first and then remembered rajeshnat:-) Chose to write in English.
Link here: http://octaves.blogspot.com/2010/09/cel ... hi-in.html
Thank you Rajesh - (anantakOTi namaskAram) - and thank you gamakam: in indulging Rajesh you have made your blog accessible to tons of others - and given how informative and insightful they are, it would be a pity to deprive the non-tamizh readers of that experience...Sindhuja's version was great; in particular, the AlApana was very appealing!! And finally, a belated 'congratulations' on having become a father!!

Gamakam

Post by Gamakam »

Thank you Shankar. :-)

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

Are there any anecdotes about TR Balu ( Balasubramaniam) another deciple of Shri GNB

who it is understood had died at a very early age of 30 years.
I am having three songs of him- not when and where I got- lying in my pen drive for long .
I have uploaded same to day to my mediafire account. He was accompanied by LGJ.
venkatakailasam

venkatakailasam

Re:GNB's vara ragalaya in chenju kambhoji

The subject song rendered by Shri GNB And by MLV are linked below:

GNB 018-vararAgalaya--chenchu-kAmbhOji--Adi.mp3:
Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/wsa7vwbu7yc4pgg

'E'-SWARA-046-ML Vasantha kumari-VaraRagaLaya-Senj:
Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/xtv6dx3lrwyw3nb

venkatakailasam

Sindhuja

Post by Sindhuja »

Thanks Shankar!

gienbee

Post by gienbee »

venkatakailasam wrote:Are there any anecdotes about TR Balu ( Balasubramaniam) another deciple of Shri GNB

who it is understood had died at a very early age of 30 years.
I am having three songs of him- not when and where I got- lying in my pen drive for long .
I have uploaded same to day to my mediafire account. He was accompanied by LGJ.
venkatakailasam
Sri T.R. Balasubramaniam was the second (the first was Mr S. Balasubramaniam, who is also no more and was not as popular as TRB). He joined my brother in early 1940s when he was in his teens and he was staying with our family for a very long time. He died on the stage, while performing in Gurukulam in in Abhiramapuram in mid 1950 when he was in his 30s. He has given the first recording of my brother's song, Sadapalaya in MOhanam. He has a son and daughter. His son, was in US when I heard of him last 7 or 8 years ago. His daughter is in Selayur near Madras. I have a full concert of TRB which is in audio tape. I have also taken a photograph with him when I was in my teens in 1950s. He was very close to Lalgidiji and for most of his concerts Lalgudiji has accompanied him. In fact, it was he, who introduced Lalgudi to my brother. TRB was almost our family member. He was not only my brother's disciple. He also looked after his finance also. My brother never used to carry a purse as long as TRB was alive. .

venkatakailasam

A well informative article on the legend is at In to days The Hindu :

http://www.hindu.com/2011/01/01/stories ... 860700.htm

venkatakailasam
Last edited by venkatakailasam on 01 Jan 2011, 11:21, edited 1 time in total.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

I just loved that phrase in the hindu writeup:
Unless an artiste is endowed with a good voice, his scholarship would be of little avail.

venkatakailasam

gienbee; I missed your posting dtd 03 12 10 reg Shri TRB. I saw it only to day.So many thanks to you for the details.I want to mix and post one of his songs with me at you tube so that many can listen to him. Is it possible to scan and send his image by mail ?
Thank you.

I can see a chain of 'thanks' from one to another and I could not get the link there for. Can I be enlightened If possible.

Ivenkatakailasam

thenpaanan

Post by thenpaanan »

venkatakailasam wrote:A well informative article on the legend is at In to days The Hindu :

http://www.hindu.com/2011/01/01/stories ... 860700.htm

venkatakailasam
The tense of the article suggests that it was written when GNB was still alive or soon after his passing. However the dateline is 2011. When was the article written? I ask because it says ...
Music, we have in plenty, but it is all of a very cheap quality. This is undoubtedly due to the democratisation of art we see going on all around us, like the surge of a flood, which we are helpless in fighting against. Apart from the mechanical contrivances contributing to this (we are living in an age of gadgets) it is very disheartening to notice that artistes who supply music on the platform and are hence responsible for the growth and development of music culture, also descend to the level of playing to the gallery and thus lower the standards of taste in the art.
1. Which cheap quality music is being referred to here I wonder? Sometimes one generation's "cheap" music becomes the succeeding generations' classics.
2. What is this "democratization" that is being forced upon this author that (s)he so heartily dislikes? Is it that too many people are performing/learning/appreciating CM or that certain kinds of people who did not appreciate CM before are doing it now in numbers?
3. What are these gadgets that we are in the "age of" I wonder. Is it the microphone or the recording equipment or the electronic tambura or the iphone?
4. What is "playing to the gallery" here? Is it "light ragas" (like, ahem, chArukesi) or tukkaDAs or abhangs?

Because the date of authorship is unclear there is a certain timeless quality to it. It could have been written in 1930 or 1970 or 2010 and the meaningless rant would sound like it made sense. Without details that are not supplied in the article, this is useless as critical analysis because in the middle of talking about GNB's views on music the author seems to have inserted his/her own views on the subject without making the distinction clear. GNB, the peerless innovator that he was, would not have had such shallow perspective.

This portion of the article (the rest of the article that provides details on GNB's life and views is quite informative) could however be an outstanding gag article because it has such an authentic feel to it -- generation after generation has felt that the succeeding generations are somehow diluting/demeaning/destroying CM. That is ageless.

-Then Paanan

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

"Though only in his forties, Mr. Balasubramaniam's views on the subject of music have the stamp of maturity.."
and
"Probably the greatest money-spinner in the present-day Carnatic music world, G.N.B. is by no means anxious to pander to popular tastes."

indicate that the article was written in the 1950s.

But the use of the word "gadgets" is interesting. If it was the 50s, then the author is probably referring to sound systems and recording equipment.

But I definitely see your point.. Every generation seems to have this sinking feeling that the art form is going to the dogs.

gienbee

Post by gienbee »

vasanthakokilam wrote:"Though only in his forties, Mr. Balasubramaniam's views on the subject of music have the stamp of maturity.."
and
"Probably the greatest money-spinner in the present-day Carnatic music world, G.N.B. is by no means anxious to pander to popular tastes."

indicate that the article was written in the 1950s.

But the use of the word "gadgets" is interesting. If it was the 50s, then the author is probably referring to sound systems and recording equipment.

But I definitely see your point.. Every generation seems to have this sinking feeling that the art form is going to the dogs.
Dear Rasikas,
The article which appeared in The Hindu on 1st, Jan,2011 is a reprint of the article which was published on 29th Dec, 1951, as could be seen from the box beneath his photograph.
I do not subscribe to the view reg democratisation of music and cheapening. There are quite a lot of outstanding youngsters to-day who proudly have established their mark as great artists to-day.
Perhaps in the 50s when the article was published, it could have been the position as there were only 4 or 5 sabhas in Madras and youngstewrs were perhaps not encouraged as it is happening now. My brother has written an article titled "Democratisation of Art etc" in 50s and perhaps it will be worthwhile to go thru it to see what were his views.
Sri Thenpaanan: . I will try to scan and send the photograph as early as possible.
Thanks for your comments.
Balakrishnan

venkatakailasam

GNB - Isai Vaseekaran - DVD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-UM_ahn9eM

Is it not A journey through the music life of Shri GNB ??

venkatakailasam

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

GNB - Kharaharapriya Alapana: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMu_qBGqtOI

We have discussed before about the lack of any recordings of Kharaharapriya by GNB except for this one. I think the audio was shared before. Just noticed the above link on you tube.

mohan

Post by mohan »

My radio show on GNB will go to air tonight at 9pm Sydney time on radio 2SER FM. It is being streamed online at the same time at www.2ser.com the duration of the show is 90 minutes
You can hear a few of GNB's masterpieces.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

venkatakailasam

Shri. GN Balasubramaniam-A Profile-Part I...

Courtesy DD Podhigai Recorded on 10-01-2012...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEA0Y18-uGY

A Profile--Part II...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d9frP6Dq6s

I am having his RTP of P sivan song " tamadam En svami " about 29mts...

venkatakailasam

Thamathamen swamy-RTP-thodi-raga-(Audio Provided by Shri Shivakumar...Carnatic Music Krithi Audio Archive...(3 seperate clips of the song/raga)
Alapana/tahanam/swarakalpana of the song were added...to make the full rtp..)
Composed by .papanasam Sivan..
Rendered by.. Shri GN Balasubramaniam....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS4TAZBA00E

venkatakailasam

Sundara tara deham Raga Pantuvarali

Composer Thyagaraja...

rendered by Shri GN Balasubramaniam.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLKwNMMUa4M

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

I have several songs in my database that are supposedly by GNB. If anayone can shed some light on any of these I would be very grateful. Thanks.

Bhava padalu-Kambhoji-
Ettanai nal inda-Yadukulakambhoji-Adi
Kurai tirka-Vardhani-Adi
Ma ramana-Todi-Adi
Mahadeva manohari-Ranjani-Rupaka
Mamava matangi-Ritigaula-Rupaka
Nannu brocheva-Shahana-Adi
Nayeda-Begada-Chapu
Ne gati nive-Kiranavali-Adi
Ni manasu-Hindola-Rupaka
Ni vegani-Nilambari-Adi
Nijamuga nammaka-Saveri-Rupaka
Ninnadi-Kanada-Rupaka
Pada sarasamulu-Kambhoji-Adi
Parameshvari-Khamas-Rupaka
Perumaiyai-Hindolavasanta-Adi
Sarangadhara-Saranga-Rupaka
Un pugazhe nan-Yadukulakambhoji-Adi
Vikasita purna-Purnachandrika-Adi
Yar ennai-Dhanyasi-Adi

venkatakailasam

Some compositions of GNB rendered by his disciples etc can be reached at this link in my blog...

http://myblogkumara.blogspot.in/2011/03 ... tions.html

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

Lakshman wrote:I have several songs in my database that are supposedly by GNB. If anayone can shed some light on any of these I would be very grateful. Thanks.

Bhava padalu-Kambhoji-
Ettanai nal inda-Yadukulakambhoji-Adi
Kurai tirka-Vardhani-Adi
Ma ramana-Todi-Adi
Mahadeva manohari-Ranjani-Rupaka
Mamava matangi-Ritigaula-Rupaka
Nannu brocheva-Shahana-Adi
Nayeda-Begada-Chapu
Ne gati nive-Kiranavali-Adi
Ni manasu-Hindola-Rupaka
Ni vegani-Nilambari-Adi
Nijamuga nammaka-Saveri-Rupaka
Ninnadi-Kanada-Rupaka
Pada sarasamulu-Kambhoji-Adi
Parameshvari-Khamas-Rupaka
Perumaiyai-Hindolavasanta-Adi
Sarangadhara-Saranga-Rupaka
Un pugazhe nan-Yadukulakambhoji-Adi
Vikasita purna-Purnachandrika-Adi
Yar ennai-Dhanyasi-Adi
I am sure you will have in your posession "Compositions of GNB" the tamil book publ in Dec 1971.Two Varnams and thirty Krithis of GNB are given here.I can list all this if required.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

vs_manjunath: I have all the three published books of compositions by GNB. The above mentioned songs are mentioned in a book by P.V.Rajagopal.

sivachinta1965

Post by sivachinta1965 »

Dear Rasikas

Is there any Katcheri recordings ( live ) available with GNB singing 'Vasudevayani.....' in Kalyani?

Sivaprasad

ranjanimalavi

Post by ranjanimalavi »

Search for 'vasudeva' in the following link
http://www.sangeethapriya.org/tributes/ ... ithis.html

Raman

sivachinta1965

Post by sivachinta1965 »

'Vasudevayani ....' as given in the list is a studio recording ( 1942?) by GNB.

Sivaprasad

venkatakailasam

E Swara-005-GNB-marivErE-gati--Anandabhairavi--cApu--Shri.GN Balasubramaniam-Shyma Sastri....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--TrVqqdQe0

sivachinta1965

Post by sivachinta1965 »

Dear Rasikas

Is there any recording available where in GNB sings " SHRUTHI BHEDAM" ?

Sivaprasad

venkatakailasam

E Swara 008-GNB-RTP-Pallavi line..Tharaka Brahma-Kalyani....one hour 15 mts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3te6y0o49a0

E Swara009-GNB-RTP-Bhiravi...one hour 12 mts...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiADd1l8coM

venkatakailasam

E Swara 010 GNB 11 Slokam and Smaravaaram ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Qc_J5KpDT4

venkatakailasam

E Swara 012 GNB Aaragimpave Thodi Thyagaraja...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyNWSOZu ... fA&index=1

I have a doubt..

whether the violin support is by Chowdiah or MSG?

venkatakailasam

Have heard that GNB never sang kharaharapriya after he felt that he could never surpass Semmangudi's KHP.
I am not sure whether this is true..
I personally have never come across (in recordings) of GNB handling KHP as the main piece.

E Swara 010 GNB 11 Slokam and Smaravaaram ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Qc_J5KpDT4

This is a very rare clip of Sri GNB singing Karaharapriya.

Listen to the first 3 minutes of this Viruttam.It shows how Sri GNB handled Karaharapriya.

Seems to be one of his last concerts held at Pudukkottai in the year 1965

Thanks to shri Jayadev Menon for providing the clip..

Quoting him here..

"There is a very interesting incident mentioned in "Gamakas No Bar" written by V N Muthukumar and M V Ramana.A rasika by the name Shivaramakrishnan remembers a concert of Sri GNB in Calcutta in the year 1950 where he sang a Ragam Thanam Pallavi in Karaharapriya and went on to append the famous Papanasan Sivan Krithi Dayavillaya Dayaalo.Late Sri Lalgudi Jayaraman to recalls a memorable Karaharapriya of GNB at Rasika Ranjani Sabha.So there is ample evidence that Sri GNB used to sing Karaharapriya elaborately in his younger days.I have also heard about a rendition of Pakkala Nilabadi by Sri GNB in which he has sung Neraval at Pakkala Nilabadi itself. "

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Wonderful. Thanks, Sri Venkatakailasam.
The concert was actually on 26 July 1964 with LGJ and CS Murugabhoopathy.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

Dear mahavishnu, you sure that's 1964? His voice is in fantastic form. I have this concert and the Shanmukhapriya RTP is mind blowing. Because in that alapana his voice went all the way to the ati tara sthayi Sa and the replies by Lalgudi are breathtaking, especially the high speed neraval.

This slokam is one of GNB's all time bests :ymapplause: for the remarkable raga phrases and the unbelievable replies by Lalgudi sir showing his own genius in phrasing -- could hardly take it by the time they finished the Sindhubhairavi -- Lalgudi is also gone now :(( . The raga bhavam is just so beautiful. And it was just lilting how Murugabhoopathy takes up the rhythm at start of Smaravaaram.

By the way, for all the discussion on Kharaharapriya, isn't anyone paying attention to the fact that this is probably the one and only recording of GNB singing Rishabhapriya? ;) B-)

venkatakailasam

Listen to a 3 hour concert by GNB..

E Swara 013 Concert GNB Lalgudi G Jayaraman & Ramanathapuram C S Muruga boopathi ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8raz2e_KQbs

venkatakailasam

removed
Last edited by venkatakailasam on 10 Jun 2013, 21:04, edited 1 time in total.

venkatakailasam

Shri Rajasekar (Sir GBR )..

I hope postings the above concert at 422 is in order..Please confirm..

If you have any objection I can with draw the same..

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

Sri V Kailasam

Your post # 418 and your doubt reg the violinist : It's neither Chowdaiah nor MSG nor Lalgudi.