G.N. Balasubramaniam (GNB)

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
meena

Post by meena »

heres the full txt:

P: shrI cakrarAja nilayE shivashakti aikyarUpiNi
A: pAshAnkusha bANE daNDa bEsha kalAdhari pAhi pAhi
C: asurakula nAshini shrIsha kEshava sahajAmini iShaguNa gAna tOSiNi kOshAntara stita pOSaNI

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

kmrasika
Yes I am definitely taking a break fora fortnight for you all to exhaust the discussions...

the number of tracks will keep getting smaller from now on- increasingly difficult to locate the remaining ones

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

This is quite a lively and dynamic piece and rendered excellently as well.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

In some of the TVR tracks, is there another male voice heard? (Esp in the malayamArutam piece) - if so, who is the accompanying vocalist? (sounds like SK to me...did they sing together ever?)
Ravi

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

it is indeed Kalyanraman.
sorry about that.i should have mentioned it.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Thanks - I feel good to actually be able to identify SK's voice!
Ravi

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Ravi
Here are three tracks (krithis covered earlier)
with Trichur-SK.
Our Collective thanks to GB Rajasekhar for all these gems..

http://rapidshare.de/files/25956216/03- ... n.mp3.html

http://rapidshare.de/files/25956615/15- ... n.mp3.html

http://rapidshare.de/files/25957224/16- ... r.mp3.html

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

THANKS Kulkarni sa'ab, and GBR.
Ravi

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

A few doubts I have on the on the kIrvANi piece:

rAga: kIrvANi tALa: Adi

p. nIcaraNAmbujamulu neranammiti nIrajAkshi - amba

a. shrIdharajA ramaNa sODari
shr.ta janArti bha~njani nira~njani

c. ShrI nagarAlaya nivAsini
ShrI kari gaurI ShaShAngavadani
ShrIpurAri rANi- kIrvANi
ShrI ramAvANinuta shukapANi

shrIdharajA ramaNa sODari - dEvi is sister to the spouse of vishNu's sire (If I'm getting the interpretation correct), if do, who is it that he begot (other than brahmA, from the lotus sprouted from his navel)?

ShrInagarAlaya nivAsini - I assume this refers to dEvi's taking residence in the bindu of the ShrIcakra

ShrIkari gaurI ShaShAngavadani - Who does auspicious ventures, having limbs fair-complexioned as the moon

ShrIpurAri rANi = (does Shiva bear the name purAri?)???

ShukapANi = One who holds a parrot???

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

kmrasika,
Let me attempt to clarify some of your questions:

ShaShAngavadani should be sashAnkavadanI = (with) a face (as beautiful) as the moon (some of the singers, especially the ones from Kerala and TN do have the tendency to replace g for k)...
shrIkari = one who bestows auspiciousness
gaurI = pArvatI

Remember dIkshitar's hamIrkalyANI composition 'purahara nandana'? shivA is indeed the one who destroyed pura, so he is purAri (enemy of pura)

shukapANi = yes, pArvatI is depicted as one who holds a parrot in her hands: there is a lovely composition in ratipatipriya (a very beautiful but involved name - could be easier to call it madanapriya) on mInAkshi which goes 'jagatjananI shukapANi kalyANI'.....

Ravi

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

ShrI rshankar:
Thank you for your clarification. 8) If you could explain that first line of the caraNam (I still can't u'std it) pls enlighten ... that's what's been on my mind ever since I first reviewed the lyrics of this song.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

kmrasika,
The kritI is in telugU, and out of my narrow comfort zone, but I will atempt it, and Sarma/Kiran can correct me if I am wrong...

nIcaraNAmbujamulu neranammiti nIrajAkshi - amba

nI = your
caraNambujamulu = lotus-like feet
nera = always
nammiti(ni) = believed in
nIrajAkshi = lotus-eyed one (nIraja = lotus)
ambA = Mother/pArvatI

I have always believed/sought refuge in/at your lotus-like feet, Oh lotus-eyed mother/pArvatI.

Ravi

srinidhi

Post by srinidhi »

Shiva bears the name "tripurari"- Destroyer of the three cities.

Shripura refers to the abode of Devi -the mystic Srichakra.

Refer to the ninth navavarna kriti in the Kamalamba series " Shripura bindu madyastha..."

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ravi,
Yes, Meenakshi who resides in Madurai (like Andal in Srivilliputhur) sports a parrot. Does any other idol of Parvathi or Lakshmi carry a parrot elsewhere in India--or is it a southern godess's preference for a pet?

Any literary allusions, cml?

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Ravi,
Yes, Meenakshi who resides in Madurai (like Andal in Srivilliputhur) sports a parrot. Does any other idol of Parvathi or Lakshmi carry a parrot elsewhere in India--or is it a southern godess's preference for a pet?

Any literary allusions, cml?
SRngEri SAradAmbe sports a parrot too. I know you specifically asked for Parvati/lakshmi, but SAradAmbe is considered as SrImAtA Herself and her Consort is ISvara.

Parrot signifies vAk/speech and hence all language, poetry and literary activity.

meena

Post by meena »

Kanthimathi ammam (parvathi) temple @thirunelveli sports a parrot.

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

I should have checked my post before posting. I meant to ask about the first line of the anupallavi "ShrIdharajA ramaNa sOdari" the meaning which eludes me since it is commonly held that dEvi is vishNu's sister and this line kind of elucidates something different.

ShrI rshankar, thank you for the pallavi line meaning, makes good sense. If we can figure the meaning of the line above we'll be able to understand the meaning of the song in full.

One other thing:
Shripura refers to the abode of Devi -the mystic Srichakra.
Yes, this my ust'ding as well but the line goes "ShrIpurAri vairi" thereby (based on my scant knowledge of Sanskrit) "vairi" means "foe" and "ari" has a number of different meanings (checked on the sanskrit lexicon: http://webapps.uni-koeln.de/tamil/) "; thereby, what does this line allude to?

Lastly, I'll venture kIrvANi/gIrvANi both refer to dEvi as the goddess of Sanskrit (per one interpretation there is a name for dEvi in the LS: "pancAShatpITharUpiNi" she embodies the 50 alphabets of the dEvanAgarI scheme)

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

OK, as another venture I'll restate the interpretation of the 3rd line of the caraNam. I don't mean to get ecclesiastical here but by the science of ShrIvidya (of which ShrI GNB was an ardent practitioner) holds that the ShrIcakra represents our body (as depicted by the cakrAs corresponding to the nine seats of consciousness: svatishTAna, anAhata, etc. hence the rationale for navAvaraNa pUjA) in which ShrIpura probably refers to the human body ("pura") as dEvi heself.

"ari" also refers to the different perturbances of the mind, i.e. kAma, krOdha, lObha, mOha, etc.

Put together, dEvi Herself quells these different perturbances (subdued through the meticulous practice of ShrIvidyA), hence the subsequent word "kIrvAni" makes perfect sense as the giver of the sacred knowledge of ShrIvidyA.

POsters are welcome to discuss/refute/restate this contention.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

I should have checked my post before posting. I meant to ask about the first line of the anupallavi "ShrIdharajA ramaNa sOdari" the meaning which eludes me since it is commonly held that dEvi is vishNu's sister and this line kind of elucidates something different.
SrI here can be considered as a honorific prefix. Or it simply is the Her name itself as She is SrImAtA. Or you could also take the meaning of lakShmI. But dont combine it with dhara as SrIdhara. SrI dharajA ramaNa sOdari. dharajA is sItA(daughter of earth) and her ramaNa is rAma aka viShNu and his sister is pArvati, SrI. If we take SrI as lakShmi, then "lakSmi alias sItAs's husband,s sister" will be the meaning.
Yes, this my ust'ding as well but the line goes "ShrIpurAri vairi" thereby (based on my scant knowledge of Sanskrit) "vairi" means "foe" and "ari" has a number of different meanings
Sorry are you referring to this kRti or another. Because the sAhityagive by yourself is SrI purAri rANi(Not vairi). Here also split SrI and take it as Her name/honorific and read purArirANi as usual. No confusion here. I think GNB wanted to address her as SrI many times in this krti.
Lastly, I'll venture kIrvANi/gIrvANi both refer to dEvi as the goddess of Sanskrit
gIrvANi is the name of saraswati. Thi is given in the amarakOSa itself. gIrvANa is sanskrit. kIrvANi is the tamizh pronunciation of the same word(gIrvANi). It is not a legitimate pronunciation/word in sanskrit. kIravANi would of course be correct.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

DRS
gIrvANi is the name of saraswati. Thi is given in the amarakOSa itself. gIrvANa is sanskrit. kIrvANi is the tamizh pronunciation of the same word(gIrvANi). It is not a legitimate pronunciation/word in sanskrit. kIravANi would of course be correct.
I agree with you on the 'gIrvANi', but kIravANi is a legitimate Tamil word denoting usually mInAkShi (kIram =parrot --> kiLLai mozhi..) independently.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

I agree with you on the 'gIrvANi', but kIravANi is a legitimate Tamil word denoting usually mInAkShi (kIram =parrot --> kiLLai mozhi..) independently.
CML/DRS/Arasi,
In the context of mozhi, what does 'tatai' mean: this is in reference to 'tatai mozhi sivakAmi maNALan'

Thanks.
Ravi

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

CML. Read my post with a little more care ;) . I said kIrvANi is NOT a legitimate sanskrit word. There is no 2 ways about it. kIravANi IS a legitimate sanskrit word(compound).

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

[CML/DRS/Arasi,
In the context of mozhi, what does 'tatai' mean: this is in reference to 'tatai mozhi sivakAmi maNALan'
Ravi. That is "tattai" which is another name for a parrot. The malayALis call the parrot "tatta".

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Thanks!
Ravi

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

ShrI rsankar:

Thank you for your explanation. I meant to mention I have heard a rendition with the word rANi emended with "vairi" and I kind of wondered what meaning was construed. But you are right, It is ShrIpurAri rANi as given in gAna bhAskara maNimAlai.

Also:
Shiva bears the name "tripurari"- Destroyer of the three cities.
I recall reading somewhere Shiva was known as tripurAntaka as he quelled a demon, tripura. So "pura" might be an ephithet for tripura?

And yes, now that first line of the anupallavi makes sense as sItA was brought forth from the furrow (I should have recalled "dharaNi tanUjAdi tanujara pAlaka" from annamayyA's famous samkshEpa rAmAyaNa sangkIrtana).

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

Shri Coolkarni sir:
The sarasvati clip is a composition on Shr.ngEri ShAradA of ShrI NS rAmacandran, a great composer belonging to an illustrous Shishya parampara of ShrI tyAgarAja. Maybe once we get to complete one of these threads we'll discuss his compositions.

The reason for confusion is because there are a number of compositions in the same rAga with similar starting words.

Nonetheless, what a sarasvati!!! Rendered effortlessly with nice svara passages....

Here's the sAhitya of the GNB piece and let's discuss the meaning. Maybe someone cancome up w. the clip at a latertime.

rAga: sarasvati tALa: rUpakam

p. sarasvati namOstutE ShAradE vidyA pradE

a. karadhr.ta vINA pustaka varamaNimAlAlangkr.ta

c. naraharisuta vidhi lAlita navamaNiyuta kambukalE
surasEvA padayugaLE sudhAkAra samadhavaLE

sarasvati namOstutE = Prostrations to Goddess Sarasvati
ShAradE = ?? (Apte's dict. holds that ShArada means "bashful"/"modest")
vidyA pradE = who bestows knowledge
karadhr.ta vINA pustaka = Who holds in Her arms the lute and book
varamaNimAlAlangkr.ta = bedecked with resplendent necklaces of gems
nara = man
harisuta = ????
vidhi = ???
lAlita = adulated
navamaNiyuta = w/ elegant gems
kambukalE = kambukaNThi (one w/ a neck shaped like a conch shell)???

surasEvA padayugaLE = the Gods worship Thy Feet
sudhAkARa samadhavaLE = Who is as white(complexion) as the moon

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

The sarasvati clip is a composition on Shr.ngEri ShAradA of ShrI NS rAmacandran
Thanks for pointing it out.
will look for the REAL ONE

meena

Post by meena »

kmrasika

Hope this helps-sarasvathi namOsthuthE meaning was posted on bboard:

pallavi
sarasvati namOstutE shAradE vidyApradE
sarasvati = sarasvati
namOstutE = I pay my obeisance to you. SharadE
shAradE = O! shAradA
vidyA = Knowledge
pradE = One who gives
sarasvati, I pay my obeisance to you. O! SharadA, bestower of knowledge.

anupallavi
kara dhrta vINA pustaka varamaNi mAlAlankrta
kara = hands
dhrta = hold
vINA = vINA
pustaka = books
varamaNi = Precious gems
mAlA = garland
alankrta = adorned with
You hold Vina and books in your hands and are adorned with garlands of precious gems

caraNam
narahari suta vidhi lAlita navamaNi yuta kambhugaLE
sura sEvita pada yugaLE sudhAkara samadhavaLE
narahari = vishnu
suta = son
vidhi = brahma
lAlita = cared by
navamaNi = the 9 precious stones
kambhu = conch
gaLE = meck
sure = Gods
sEvita = served
pada = feet
yugalE = pair
sudhAkara = moon
sama = equal
dhavaLa = white
You are taken care by Brahma, the son of Vishnu. Your conch like neck is adorned by the nine precious gems.
Your pair of feet are served(prayed) by the Gods. You are as fair as the moon

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

I have the clip sarasvati namOstutE of GNB sung by Trissur Ramachandran but it is part of a commercial CD.

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

[repeated post deleted]

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

Thank you, meena. We proceed with the bahudAri piece.

rAgam: bahudAri tAla: Adi

p. mArakOTi sundari mAnini
mAmavasadA jaganmOhini

a. ShArada vidhu samavadanE
nIrajadaLa sulOcani

c. nAradAdi pUjita pAvani
tAraka ripu Shubha janani
ghOrapApa santApaShamani
bhAramArtika phaladAyini

mArakOTi sundari mAnini = Oh beautiful/respectful One, having a bewitching form of that of a crore of Cupids!
mAmavasadA - Protect me always
jaganmOhini = Delight of the universe!

Sharada vidhu samavadanE = with a face like the full moon
nIrajadaLa sulOcani = having eyes resembling petals of the lotus

nAradAdi pUjita pAvani = O pure One worshipped by nArada among others
tAraka ripu = One who eradicates wicked ones by Her eyes alone
Shubha janani = mother in the purest form
ghOrapApa santApaShamani = One who alleviates/removes the affliction /pain accrued through the heinous of sins
bhAramArtika phaladAyini = Who confers boons to those burdened with strife

abadri

Post by abadri »

kmrasika,

An SKR rendition of sarasvati namOstutE
http://rapidshare.de/files/27307310/SKR ... i.mp3.html

gb_rajasekar

Post by gb_rajasekar »

Dear Badri,
This is not my father's composition. It does not start with Sri Saraswati..
this i have downloaded and checked , it is different.
I am sure Mr Coolkarni has this piece and he can upload the correct one

I am enjoying your discussions, but unable to participate as i neither know sanskrit nor the circumstances under which my father composed them nor do i know music. All I can say is that he hardly spent time on the compositions but only minutes for them, especially the sahitya.. so i leave it to your judgement regarding the same.
Rgds
Rajasekar

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

GBR
I downloaded too and it is "sarawati naOstutE" in rAga saraswati which IS GNB's composition. The clip is mislabelled as "SrI saraswati" which reminds of MD's Arabhi composition. The song is preceded by an elaborate AlApane. But the quality of the recording is poor.

meena

Post by meena »

sarasvati namOstutE ShAradE by sree SKR (recording is good)

http://www.bigupload.com/d=010EAEFA

laxmiv

Post by laxmiv »

Meena,

I don't think this is GNB's compostion. The GNB composition goes like, " Saraswathi Namosthute,
Sharade Vidyaprade. I have this song by Priya Sisters. It is a commerical CD titled Ambal Krithis.

Laxmi

http://www.musicalnirvana.com/script/sh ... px?ID=1345

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Meena
laxmiv is right. The song posted by you is a different "saraswati namOstutE". Maybe SKR's own composition?

meena

Post by meena »

laxmiv

thanku for bringing it to my attention. Will correct my list.

one can listen to the priya sis. version @
http://www.udbhava.com/udbhava/songs.jsp?id=309

Maybe Lji can shed some light on the clip i u/l, when he returns from his trip.

knrh05

Post by knrh05 »

meena,
The clip you posted is the same one as coolkarni's original post. kmrasika has pointed it out as NS Ramachandran's composition.

Here's KSG's rendition (flute):
http://rapidshare.de/files/27619373/03_ ... i.MP3.html

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

sarasvati namOstutE. rAgA: sarasvati. rUpaka tALA. Composer: N.S.Ramachandran.

P: sarasvati namOstutE sArasa bhava sammOda sandAyini
A: vara svarAlaya sthitE vAgIshvarivardE shrI
C: nigama shirOmaNI rUpiNI natajana paripAlini
jagajjanani nIlavENi rAmacandra vinuta vANi
tungA tIra vihAriNi tunga mangaLa vidhAyini
shrnga shaila nivAsini sangIta rasa vilAsini

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

Wow, just one song generated so much discussion. That's the best thing about this board 8). Than you, Shri abadri, that was the correct sarasvati of of GNB; S kalyaNarAman's renditions are shaped by his own wonderful and delightful vidvat that commands your attention and want to listen more of his renditions. The other sarasvati of was no less magnificent and delightful, as well.

Moving on, the two ShivaShakti pieces. Pls fill in/correct when necessary, esp the Telugu words which I guessed by context.

ShrIcakrarAja nilayE
rAga: ShivaShakti tALa: Adi

p. ShrIcakrarAjanilayE ShivaShakti aikhya rUpiNi
a. pAShAngkuSha bANEkshudaNDa pEShakalAdhari pAhi pAhi
c. ASharakula nAShini ShrISha kEShava sahajAmini
IShaguNa gAnatOShiNi kOShAntara sthitapOshiNi

ShrIcakrarAjanilayE = Resident of the king of cakrAs, the ShrIcakra
ShivaShakti aikhya rUpiNi = Whose resembles the very union of Shiva and Shakti

pAShAngkuSha bANEkshudaNDa pEShakalAdhari = adorned exuberantly with splendid noose, goad, arrow, and a stalk of sugarcane
pAhi pAhi = (to entreat) protect protect

Asharakula nAShini = WHo routed the demons
ShrISha kEShava sahajAmini = Who was also born in conjunction with the birth of the Lord of ShrI(vishNu)

IShaguNa gAnatOShiNi = Whose takes pleasure in musical extolment of Her beloved Lord Shiva's attributes(???)

kOShAntara sthitapOshiNi = Who dwells as the jIva within the 5 psychological sheaths (annamaya,prANamaya, manOaya, vi~jnAnamaya & Anandamaya)

vinutapAlini gadA

rAga: ShivaShakti tALa: rUpakam

p. vinutapAlini gadA vEga brOva rAdA?
a. canuvuna ninnusadA bhaji~njsalEdA
c. anupama dayAnidhi ninnuvinA evarammA?
tanujavairi sOdari tribhuvanEShvari Shangkari

vinutapAlini = Who protects her devotees
gadA = ???
vEga brOva rAda? = Why delay in protecting me?
canuvuna ninnusadA bhaji~njsalEdA = I will always sing praises of You with affection in my mind

anupama dayAnidhi ninnuvinA evarammA? = Who else is ever-merciful than Thee?

tanujavairi sOdari = Sister of VishNu
tribhuvanEShvari = Empress pf the three worlds
Shangkari = The auspicious

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

It was nice to hear a rare piece in this rAga. Again, pls feel free to correct the translation.

ShrI GBR Sir, I wanted to ask you whether there is a shrine for dEvi in the form of nAdarUpasundari in tamizhnADu or elsewhere in India.

niravadhi sukhadAyaki
rAga: malayamArutam tALa: rUpakam

p. niravadhisukha dAyaki ninnE nammaka lEdA?
a. parama karuNAkari paShupati manOhari
c. Sharat sOmabimba vadanE sarasija sahasrAra
varadAna nipuNa caraNE vandita janArti haraNE

niravadhisukha dAyaki = One that confers boundless bliss
ninnE nammaka lEdA? =???

parama karuNAkari = The most compassionate
paShupati manOhari = beloved of Shiva, the Lord of men

Sharat sOmabimba vadanE = Who face resembles the autumn moon
sarasija sahasrAra sadanE = Who is seated/resides on the thousand-spoked(petalled) lotus OR one who resides in the lotus of the sahasrAra cakra

varadAna nipuNa = The Granter of boons
caraNE vandita janArtiharaNE = Who allayas/alleviates distress of Those Who worship Thy feet

gb_rajasekar

Post by gb_rajasekar »

Dear Rasikas,
I confirm that the piece of SKR posted by Meena is definitely not my fathers. I am unable to hear Priya sisters piece now,, will listen at night and confirm.

Re kmrasika,
to my knowledge , there is no Nadarupasundari in any temple. In fact there is a photo of this devi in all his composition books as she is his Ishatadevatha for his compositions.

it is his own creation. He called Sri Kondia Raju one of the most famous artists of his time to come to our house, stay with us and do a couple of paintings. The mudras of the deity are my father's and it was painted by Sri Kondiah Raju in our house with details given by my father. He imagined this devi and had it painted. It is still there in my brother's house at Chennai, along with another painting. By mudras , i mean the abaranas, the articles in her hands etc.

He has used the word Nadarupasundari in a few compositions of his.

Rgds
Rajasekar

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

ShrI GBR Sir:
Thank you for verifying the nature of the deity. I had come across a list of the panchAshat (actually, 51) pIThAs of dEvi recently and didn't find this deity listed. And yes, the painting is included in the books of compositions of your father.

On the sarasvati clip, I just want to reiterate that I think the clip by abadri is the correct composition of your father(I think SKR has rendered the ciTTasvara as well).

Moving on:

rAga: Arabhi tALa: Adi

p. maRAvanunE ninnu maRavanunE
marakatAngi mAramaNa sOdari

a. varavANi kamalA sEvitE
vA~njcitArtha dAyika niratE

c. ciruta prAyamula nimci nIpada
dhyAnamE muktimArga manukoni
neRanammi yunnaja nura
cirasukha mosagu cintAmaNi yani

maRAvanunE ninnu maRavanunE = Would I ever forget You?
marakatAngi = One with an emerald-hued body
mAramaNa sOdari = sister of the spouse of lakshmi

varavANi kamalA sEvitE = sarasvati and lakshmi wait upon You
vA~njcitArtha dAyika niratE = You confer all that is desired

ciruta prAyamula = from young
nimci = ???
nIpada dhyAnamE = by meditating on Thy feet
muktimArga manukoni = leads to the path of salvation
neRanammi yunnaja nura = ???
cirasukha mosagu =???
cintAmaNi yani = Who is like the jewel that adorns the mind

Another GNB clip posted by coolkarni Sir on another thread. Gratitude to abadri for reviving it.
http://rapidshare.de/files/27297526/Rad ... i.mp3.html

rAga: Shubha pantuvarALi tALa: Adi

p. nIsamAna mevarulErani
nE pogaDa taramA? talli!

a. bhUsurAdi samsEvita kamalE
bhOgamOkshAdi dAyika vimalE

c. AsacE nI pAvana caraNamu
pAvana jEyu sunna vADugadA
vAsudEvuni priya sOdari
bhAsamAna Sharadindu kalAdhari

nIsamAna mevarulErani = Who is equal to You?
pogaDa taramA? = praiseworthy???
talli! = O Mother!

bhUsurAdi samsEvita kamalE = the gods worship Thee, O lotus-like One!
bhOgamOkshAdi dAyika vimalE = The most pure One, who bestows contentment and liberation

AsacE = ???
nI pAvana caraNamu = Thy blemishless Feet
pAvana jEyu = to purify???
sunna vADugadA = ???
vAsudEvuni priya sOdari = O beloved sister of vishNu!
bhAsamAna Sharadindu kalAdhari = Who is as radiant as the moon

Rigapada

Post by Rigapada »

Dear friends,
The meanings of some of the words left with ? marks is

as below:

p. vinutapAlini gadA vEga brOva rAdA?
gadA = you are the one who, vinutapAlini (vi) = protect

your devotees.

p. niravadhisukha dAyaki ninnE nammaka lEdA?

ninnE nammaka lEdA = did I not believe you?

c. ciruta prAyamula nimci nIpada
dhyAnamE muktimArga manukoni
neRanammi yunnaja nura
cirasukha mosagu cintAmaNi yani

c. ciruta prAyamula nimci = from young age, nI pada
dhyAnamE mukti mArgamu+anukoni
neRa = completely, nammi = believing, yunnAnura = I am.
cira sukhamu+osagu cintAmaNi yani = thinking that you are the cintAmaNi, the fabulous gem which gives lasting happiness.

From young age, I believed that you are the fabulous

gem that gives lasting happiness and that meditation of

your feet is the way to salvation.

p. nI+samAnamu+evaru+lErani = that there are none equal to you
nE = for me, pogaDa taramA? talli! = OMother! is it possible to praise?

a. bhUsurAdi samsEvita kamalE
bhOgamOkshAdi dAyika vimalE

c. AsacE = with hope, nI pAvana caraNamu
pAvana jEyu cunna vADa gadA = I am the one cleaning !

With hope of salvation, I had been serving your feet.

vAsudEvuni priya sOdari
bhAsamAna Sharadindu kalAdhari

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

Rigapada, thank u for the meaning to the Telugu words. Now we can u'std the meaning of the compositions better. Coolkarniji, abadri, cud we con't w/ the discussion w/ audio [please:-)] ?

knrh05

Post by knrh05 »

GNB Documentary video
11.5 minute MPEG includes a few seconds video footage of Sri GNB - uploaded in Rasikapriya group

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/ra ... ssage/6912

meena

Post by meena »

---
Last edited by meena on 06 May 2008, 04:13, edited 1 time in total.

meena

Post by meena »

----
Last edited by meena on 06 May 2008, 04:13, edited 1 time in total.

gb_rajasekar

Post by gb_rajasekar »

Dear Rasikas,
Small correction. The function is on 24December Sunday and not tomorrow.
Rgds
Rajasekar