Mysore Vasudevacharya

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
srinivasasarma

Post by srinivasasarma »

Dear friends
If anyone of you have the kriti
"Palukavathe emira - devamanohari - mysore shri Vasudevachar"
pls upload the same in this in mp3 format - so that i can download
the same.
Thanks in advance
s.srinivasa sarma

vinsim

Post by vinsim »

srinivasasarma wrote:Dear friends
If anyone of you have the kriti
"Palukavathe emira - devamanohari - mysore shri Vasudevachar"
pls upload the same in this in mp3 format - so that i can download
the same.
Thanks in advance
s.srinivasa sarma
Check out this amazing concert by MSS...you will Palukavathe and many other gems...esp Mamavathusri

http://www.sangeethamshare.org/manjunat ... cert-1965/

Lakshman

Re: Mysore Vasudevacharya

Post by Lakshman »

palukavadEmira is available at sangeethapriya.org - by MSS and Madurai Mani Iyer.

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

An article in HIndu dated 28th May is quite interesting.
www.hindu.com/fr/2010/05/28/.../2010052851130400.htm

Thanjavooran 28 05 10

mohan

Post by mohan »

Who were the prominent disciples of Mysore Vasudevacharya?

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

Mohan,
I am happy to answer your question!

Over the years Sri. Acharya had directly trained many vidvAns and indirectly influenced a generation of vidvAns in Mysore who matured into eminence.

My GrandFather Bhairavi Lakshminaranappa (1878-1934) was the first disciple of Sri. Acharya when he returned to Mysore in 1895 after training under Sri. Patnam. Lakshminaranappa was a vaiNika and a vocalist as well (initially trained by his Father Veene Krishnappa and uncle Seenappa, both Asthana Vidvans in the Mysore Palace. After their demise, young Lakshinaranappa trained under Veene Sheshanna and Mysore Vasudevacharya). In his memoir nenapugaLu and the other book nA kanDa kalAvidaru, Acharya has written about some performances where my GrandFather accompanied him.

My Father Veene Raja Rao (1909-1979), a vaiNika and a gAyaka, was highly influenced by Sri. Acharya and spent significant time with Acharya during the 1920s and 1930s, and accompanied him in many vocal concerts. In 1934, Raja Rao, as a vocalist, was sponsored on a three month concert tour of Tamil Nadu, to promote Vasudevacharya's compositions (I have a fascinating flier from a concert in Vellore from this tour). My Father was present with Sri. Acharya when he composed srimadAdi tyAgarAja guruvaram in kalyANi and it is interesting to read my Father's notes where he has captured the occasion where this kRti was composed. Sri. Acharya has also written in one of his books about the occasion where he composed this kRti.

When I met with Sri. S Krishnamurthy, Vausdevacharya's grandson in Bangalore recently, he reminisced about the times he had witnessed my GrandFather and Father and many other Shishyas who spent time with his tAta.

Veene Shivaramaiah (whose Father Veene Padmanabhaiah was Vasudevacharya's Guru) is credited with preserving notations for many compositions of his Guru Vasudevachacharya. Yelanduru Rangacharya, N Chennakeshaviah, B K Padmanabha Rao, Pasupati (from Madras) were other disciples. Of course, Sri. Jayachama Raja Odeyar was also a disciple of Sri. Acharya.

Sreeni Rajarao
Last edited by Sreeni Rajarao on 29 May 2010, 15:39, edited 3 times in total.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

I think H.Yoganamasimham also was a disciple of Vasudevachar.

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

Yes, I missed Sr. H Yoganarasimham.

It is significant to note that many of Vasudevacharya's shishyas also evolved into vAggEyakAras.

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

mohan

Post by mohan »

Thanks for the info Sreeni-ji

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

One of my favourites!

rA rA rAjIva lOcana in mOhana rAga, Adi tALa

http://www.archive.org/details/RaRaRaji ... Kinhal2009

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

sruthi

Post by sruthi »

Interesting documentary on Mysore Vasudevacharya: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VijICZhX2f0

His 50th death anniversary falls today (17th May 2011).

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

sruthi-Thanks for this clipping. Enjoyed every bit of the video. Apart from the mentioned compositions of MV in the video, i would love to add "bhajana sEya rAdha(Dharmavathi)" popularised by Nedunuri; a song in Saraswathi Manohari on PurandaradAsa- " sri purandara guru varam" and a song on Saint Thyagaraja in Kalyani( sung by Srirangam Gopalarathnam )are quite interesting !!! MMI popularised the dEva manohari song " palukava dEmi ra, rAma " with an interesting C.swara.

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

sruthi wrote:Interesting documentary on Mysore Vasudevacharya: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VijICZhX2f0

His 50th death anniversary falls today (17th May 2011).
Small correction - there is an error in the documentary - while refering to Veene Sheshanna, the portrait shown is that of Veene Subbanna.

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

E SWARA MSS 172 Smt MS Subulakshmi-Theme Concert compositions of Mysore Vasudevachariar ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2fj30TrA4E

satyabalu

Post by satyabalu »

"7Tributes to Mysore VASUDEVACHAR (May 28, 1865 – May 17, 1961) Indian Musician and Composer of Carnatic Music Compositions who belonged to the Direct Line of Thyagaraja's disciples, on his Death Anniversary today. Vasudevachar's compositions (numbering over 200) were mostly in Telugu and Sanskrit. Some of his most popular kritis include Broche varevaru ra in Kamas raga, Devadideva in Sunadavinodini, Mamavatu Sri Saraswati in Hindolam, Bhajare Re Manasa in Abheri and Ra Ra Rajeevalochana Rama in Mohanam.
He is credited with two writings in Kannada, one of them an autobiography called Nenapugalu (memories) and Na Kanda Kalavidaru (the musicians I have met) in which he wrote the biographies of many well known musicians. Mysore Vasudevachar also taught in Rukmini Devi's Kalakshetra, (founded in 1936). He was already quite old by then, but thanks to Rukmini Devi he agreed to shift to Kalakshetra. He became the chief musician in Kalakshetra and helped in setting the Ramayana to music. He died in 1961 at the age of 96. He lived a simple and austere life devoted to the study of Sanskrit and music.
Vasudevachar was born in an orthodox Madhva Brahmin family in Mysore and started learning music from Veena Padmanabhiah, the chief musician of the Mysore court. He also mastered Sanskrit and allied fields such as Kavya, Vyakarana, Nataka, Alankaram, Tarka, Itihasa, Purana having studied at the Maharaja Sanskrit college in Mysore while learning music privately.
He then went on to learn from the famous composer-musician Patnam Subramania Iyer supported by the Maharaja's generous stipend and imbibed the music of not only his Guru but also other great maestros of the Thanjavur-Cauvery delta. Vasudevachar eventually became the chief court musician(Asthana Vidwan) at the Mysore court. He was known for his madhyama-kala tanam singing which he learnt from his Guru. Patnam Subramania Iyer often requested his sishya "Vasu" to help him with the sahitya (lyric) aspects of his compositions. This aspect of his training undoubtedly helped Vasudevachar as a composer. He was adept in all the aspects of Carnatic music especially Raga Alapana,Thanam,Pallavi, Niraval, and Kalpana swaram.
He published a large number of his compositions in the book Vasudeva Kirtana Manjari. His compositions in Telugu have such sweetness and lilt, and beautifully blend with the tune of the raga as do the Sanskrit compositions, which are mellifluous. His songs reflect his mastery of Sanskrit and show his erudition and scholarship in Sanskrit literature. He considered his insight into Telugu as a gift from Thyagaraja (Thyagaraja's bhiksha). Unlike the Dasa kuta songs, his compositions don't have any Dvaita undertones but many have the words "Paramapurusha Vasudeva" or "Vasudeva" which means the supreme Vasudeva/Lord Vishnu which incidentally is also his mudra or signature.
True to his Vaishnava heritage and the Thyagaraja shishya parampara to which he belonged, most of his compositions are in praise of Lord Rama. In addition to Kritis and Keertanas, he also composed Varnams, Thillanas, Javalis and slokas. His admiration for the trinity of Carnatic music specially Thyagaraja resulted in Srimadadi Thyagaraja Guruvaram in Kalyani, Shri Ramachandra (a ragamalika) and two other ragamalikas in praise of Muthuswami Dikshitar and Shyama Sastri. Vasudevachar's compositions are thus like sugar candy which gives one instant pleasure and yet lingers on in the mind and heart long after."

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Possibly this transliteration to English will bring more compositions to limelight.Check below link.
http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday ... 905213.ece

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

Some songs of Mysore Vasudevachar ( 1956 - Sudesamithran - in Tamil )
724. சங்கீத சங்கதிகள் - 120
மைசூர் வாசுதேவாச்சார் கீர்த்தனைகள் - 1
http://s-pasupathy.blogspot.com/2017/05/724-120.html

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Coming close on the heels of a fiery rendition in Dallas by Abhishek : varalakshmi namOstutE of Mysore V - where I noted a grand syncopated entry in caraNam (right on his mudra vAsudEva) by Patri with caturaSra triSram - this is even more inspiring - from tweets of TMK.

https://churumuri.blog/2017/09/17/mysor ... years-ago/

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Does anyone have a copy of Vasudeva Kirthana Manjari the edition with English notations? Than ks.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Pratyaksham Bala: I already have a copy of the book -bought it last year. But I noticed that a couple of pages are missing. I wanted to find out if someone else had the book so that I can get the missing pages.

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

Oh!
In the first link for Hard Cover, under ‘sample pages’, the following kritis are shown:-

Evarunnarura
Kalaye Mama Hrudaye
Ninne Nammitinayya
Nimishamaina Shrirama

Hope you are looking for at least one of these!

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

Lakshman-ji,

Please send me an email about which pages you are missing. I have a copy and I will check if my copy has those pages.

Sreeni

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

Just to close the loop here in this thread, the copy I have is also missing pages 2 and 3!

Pratyaksham Bala

@Lakshman
Our Forum Member Ram83 (Sangeetha Kala Rathna – Bangalore S.Shankar) had posted in 2015 about the release of this Book.

viewtopic.php?t=26369

In the Post, he has given the contact details of himself, Bhavani Prasad, and Vinay Sharva. Hopefully they may have the Book and one of them may be able to help!

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Sreeni: The pages are not really missing. The title page for the varNa is page 1, the blank page is page 2 and the kAmbhOji varNa start page is page 3. My apologies for the confusion.

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

Lakshman-ji,
With your clarification above, I now understand how they have numbered the pages.

So, it's all good!

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

A very laudable effort 👍🏽by Bangalore Sankar to take the effort to transiterate the notations. This book does not however include the jatisvara-s and rāgamāḷika-s S. Krishmurthy's earlier publication in Kannada includes these as well.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

In delicacies, Mysore spells Mysore Pahu - so in music Mysore spells Mysore V

Kannanram

Re: Mysore Vasudevacharya_Balam Goplam Akilaloka Balam in Bairavi ragam

Post by Kannanram »

May i request rasikas to post or suggest link for old great singers rendition of Balam Goplam Akilaloka Balam in Bairavi ragam of Mysore Vasudevachariyar.

I have been trying to get this by searching by collections i could not get it.

Regards,
Kannan.r

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

A short concert given by the grand master himself, with an introduction given by HRH jayacāmarājēndra oḍeyār.

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

Sri Thyagaraja Sangeetha Sabha Charitable Trust under their "Karnataka Vaggetya Vahini" series featured a concert by Bangalore S Sankar (he's a member on this platform) comprising of only compositions of Mysore Vasudevacharya. The concert can be viewed at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuCzQXBtVL0

RSR

MYSORE VAASUDEVAACHAR

Post by RSR »

Mysore Vaasudevaachaar , was disciple of Patnam Subramanya Iyer, who was, along with Maha Vaidyanata Sivan, a disciple of Manambuchaadi Venkata Subbiah , a young cousin and direct disciple of Thyagaraja Swami, himself.
Mysore Vasudevachar was musician and composer in the Mysore kingdom. His contemprary was HMB.
Personally, some of the kruthis of MVAchararya, are the sweetest compositions, in the best traditions of Thayagaraja Swamy. in the respective raagas. - Kamaj, Mohanam and many more ,
-
Regrettably, his compositions have not been written about in this forum, sufficiently.
- especially, his kruthis in Sanskrit.
I am afraid there is no distinct thread dedicated to MVA in composers section even.
====
That apart, he was a vocalist as well . ( I think, we have the voice recordings of his contemporary HMB in web). Naadhabrungha has hunted for this treasure and shared with us.
================================
Naadhabrungha
===========
In connection with the birth centenary of the celebrated composer and musician Sangeetha Kalanidhi Mahavidwan Sriman Mysore Vasudevachar in the year 1965, All India Radio broadcast a special programme on the life and music of Sri Vasudevachar, featuring a special talk in English on the great composer (celebrated as Abhinava Tyagaraja), by his disciple His Highness Maharaja Jayachamaraja Wodeyar, then Governor of Madras State (who was himself a great composer of Carnatic Music). The talk was followed by excerpts of various recordings of Sri Vasudevachar performed for All India Radio. Nādabhṛṅga takes great pleasure in sharing this rare archival recording in connection with the 156th birth anniversary of Mahavidwan Sri Mysore Vasudevachar (28th May, 2021). Sri Vasudevachar's musical recordings represent one of the rare links we have today with an earlier era of Carnatic music. The programme details are:

1. His Highness Maharaja Jayachamaraja Wodeyar speaks about Sri Mysore Vasudevachar [00:00]
2. vanajākṣā (varṇam) - rītigauḷā - khaṇḍa aṭa - vīṇā kuppaiyar [07:38]
3. parātparā raghuvara - tōḍi - ādi - mysūrū vāsudevācār [13:23]
4. rāma bāṇa trāṇa - sāvērī - ādi - tyāgarāja [25:19]
5. ayi murali mukunda (śloka - selection from "śrī kṛṣṇa karṇāmṛtam") - bihāg - līlāśuka [34:35]

===========================================
https://youtu.be/_loBedk0XhQ
============================================

Pratyaksham Bala

Re: MYSORE VAASUDEVAACHAR

Earlier discussions on Mysore Vasudevacharya :-
viewtopic.php?t=504

RSR

Re: MYSORE VAASUDEVAACHAR

Post by RSR »

@Pratyaksham Bala at p-2
Yes. Thank you. However, the cited thread is for MVAcharya as a composer.
@kmrasika had given the link to Nadhabrunga upload of MVAcharya as a vocalist in composers section.
viewtopic.php?p=371757#p371757
kmrasika post
-
I admit that it had escaped my notice. IT IS A RARE RARE upload.
(like GNB as a vocalist vs GNB as a composer).

So back to the link to explain why the link is special.
viewtopic.php?p=377745#p377745

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

2277. சங்கீத சங்கதிகள் - 333
மைசூர் வாசுதேவாச்சார் கீர்த்தனைகள் - 6
https://s-pasupathy.blogspot.com/2022/10/2277-333.html

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

@RSR : Thank you. 🙏
@Pasupathy : Keep up the good work with posting the notations in Tamil. 👌
vāsudēvāccārya is very unique when it came to grouped compositions. He has composed a set comprising of the 24 names of viṣṇu, aptly coming under the heading, "kēśavādi caturviṁśatināma saṅkīrtanamāla" These are the ones he includes as the first twelve in each of his books of compositions he published in Telugu.

1. śrī kēśava māmpālaya - bhairavi - rūpakam
2. nārāyaṇa namada santatam - tōdi - ādi
3. bhaja mādhavam aniśam - hindusthāni kāpi - ādi
4. māmavaśu gōvinda - sāma - rūpaka
5. satatam śrī viṣṇum - kalyāṇi - ādi
6. madhusūdanamaham - nāṭakurañji - tiśra tripuṭa
7. trivikramamaham bhajē - khāmbhōji - ādi
8. vāmanam aniśam namāmyaham - nāyaki - ādi
9. śrīdhara pāhi dayākara - jayantaśrī - rūpaka
10. paripāhimām śrī hr̥ṣīkēśa - dhanyāśi - ādi
11. pālayāśu padmanābha - hamsadhvani - rūpaka
12. dāmodaram aniśam āśrayēham - śaṅkarābharaṇa - ādi