Lyrics and meaning of 'Azhagu Deivamaaga'

Place to go if you want to ask someone identify raga, tala, composer etc or ask for sāhitya (lyrics) or notations or translations.
kzivraj

Post by kzivraj »

Hi everyone,

Could someone please provide me with the meaning and lyrics of the Kavadi Chindu 'Azhagu Deivamaaga', a composition by Periyasami Thooran.

Really appreciate your help :)

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Here you go - my attempt at the translation.

Lyrics: Courtesy Lji.

azhagu deivam - kAvaDi cindu Composer: Periasamy Thooran

caraNam 1
azhagu deivamAga vandu pazhani malai mIdil nirkkum
Adi Sakti annai tanda bAlan avan asurar tammai venra vaDivElan
nalla amudam ennumOr tamizhil pADiDum anbar vAzhavE karuNai Sei guhan
aran uganda guruvAm uyar SIlan enrum aruL surandE kAkkum anukUlan

The Lord who stands (nirkkum) atop (mIdil) the hill (malai) of pazhani [2] has come (vandu) to us as (Aga) a handsome (azhagu) god (deivam)! He (avan) is the young child (bAlan) given (tanda) to us by his mother (annai) pArvatI (Adi Sakti); bearing a lustrous spear (vaDivElan) he went on to win over (venra) a horde of demons (asurar) [3]. He is the Lord who lives deep inside the cave (guhan) of our hearts, and showers compassion (karuNai Sei) on his devotees (anbar) who sing (pADiDum) in tamizh (tamizhil) - a language that is like (ennum) a (Or) pot of excellent (nalla) nectar (amudam), so that the devotees can flourish (vAzhavE). This noble (uyar) soul of sterling character (SIlan) is that preceptor/mentor (guruvAm) accepted (uganda) by the mighty Siva (aran) [4]. He is the one with overflowing (surandE) grace (aruL) who assists us kindly (anukUlan), and protects (kAkkum) us forever (enrum).

caraNam 2
kuzhandaiyAgak-kumaranAgak-kOvaNADait-turaviyAga kOlam koLLum kATSi enna SolvEn
kaNDu kUrum mAya vinaigaL yAvum velvEn
indak-kuvalayattilOr kaliyugap-peru varadanAit-tigazhndaruLum kandanaik-
kumbiTTenran piNigaL nIngi magizhvEn uLLak-kumural OindE nalla vazhi selvEn

What (enna) can I say (SolvEn) about the vision (kATSi) of the forms (kOlam) he takes (koLLum) in pazhani: as a baby (kuzhandaiyAga), as a young man (kumaranAga), and as an ascetic recluse (turaviyAga) dressed in a loincloth (kOmaNADai)? But I do know that by merely seeing these forms of the Lord, I have gained the ability to win over (velvEn) (or defeat) all (yAvum) of the deceptive/duplicitous/shameful (mAya) deeds (vinaigaL) [5] that every one complains (kUrum) about. I will bow down/pray (kumbiTTu) to murugan (kandan) [6] who is resplendent (tigazh) as a (Or) mighty (peru) benefactor (varadanai) in this (inda) world (kuvalayattii) during kaliyug (kaliyuga) as he blesses (aruLum) us, and rejoice (magizhvEn) as my miseries (piNigaL) are dispelled (nIngi), and ) the churn (kumral) in my heart (uLla) subsides (OindE), so that I can now travel (SelvEn) the path (vazhi) of righteousness (nalla).

caraNam 3
nIla mayil mIdil Eri AvinankuDiyil tOnrum nimalanAm kuzhandai murugEsan
uyar nittilap-pon muruval vaLLi nEsan avan nIL nilam tanil anbu SeidiDum
aDiyaryAraiyum kAttu ninriDum nitya jyOti vaDivAm prakASan
tUran nenjai nIngAdenrum angu vAsan

He is the immaculate/spotless/supreme being (nimalanAm) who appears (tOnrum) in the temple town of pazhani (AvinankuDiyil) as a handsome/beautiful (murugESan) child (kuzhandai) mounted (Eri) on (mIdil) a blue (nIla) peacock (mayil). Sporting a mischievous smile (pon muruval) continually (nittila) on his face, he (avan) is the beloved (nESan) of the gypsy, vaLLi. He is ever resplendent (prakASan) in the form (vaDivam) of an eternal (nitya) [7] flame (jyOti) that is never extinguished, as he protects (kAttu ninriDum) any and all (yAraiyum) of his devotees (aDiyAr) in (tanil) this wide (nIL) world (nilam) who love (anbu SeidiDum) him. He is the one who will not vacate (nIngAdu) the heart (nenjai) of the composer, tUran [8], and will live (vAsan) there (angu) forever (enrum).

FOOTNOTES
[1] kAvaDi: a decorated pole of wood with an arch over it, carried on the devotees’ shoulders with offerings mostly for murugan temples
[2] pazhani or tiruvAvinankuDi is a temple town in South India, and forms the 3rd of the 6 (Aru or aru) houses (vIDu) or temples to murugan and his hordes/army (paDai) of devotees. The myth associated with this temple is that when the sage nArada brought one sweet mango (a fruit - pazham) to kailAS, both ganESa and muruga wanted it. Siva decided to offer the fruit to the first one to go around the world. muruga set off on his mighty peacock secure in the knowledge that gaNESa on his tiny mouse would be no match for him. However, when he returns after flying around the world, he finds gaNESa munching on the mango. He is told that while he was flying around the physical world, gaNESa went around his parents who where the world to him, and so, he won the mango fair and square. Needless to say, muruga was not convinced, and in a huff, he renounces everything and walks away to the hill of tiruvAvinankuDi as an ascetic. He is finally cajoled by his parents to return to kailAS, especially, after his mother, pArvatI offers him her powerful (Sakti) spear (vEl) as appeasement. He is also consoled when he is told: "as you (nI) are the fruit (pazham) of your devotees prayers, why would you need a fruit?"
Last edited by rshankar on 20 Apr 2009, 21:36, edited 1 time in total.

kzivraj

Post by kzivraj »

Thank you very much for the lyrics and the meaning of this kavadi chindu. Also many thanks for moving my request to the right forum.

Best wishes :)

krishnaa

Post by krishnaa »

Great translation ravi!!!
some of my dance classmates are learning this kavadi chindu now....

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Krishnaa, nice to see you after a long absence! :)

krishnaa

Post by krishnaa »

Thanks Ravi!!!
It has beem a long while... i got caught up in academics... and i am very glad to be back...
Thanks once again!

krishnaa

Post by krishnaa »

Can someone please identify the ragam of this item

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

The book just identifies it as using harikAmbhOji svarAs.

smala

Post by smala »

I too thought kAvadi-thUkal was done in celebrations for Lord Murugan until I saw pictures of the Vinayaka Rath yatra - Paris, which I gather is performed annually by the Tamils of Sri Lankan there. Tamils from Pondicherry in Paris are a small minority, I am told. These pictures are posted under the Festivals thread in this forum.

But it seems befitting that this propitiatory rite be performed to the Remover of Obstacles as well, since the purpose of the thUkaL is atonement.

Details on the kavadi here.....http://www.aryabhatt.com/fast_fair_fest ... stival.htm
Last edited by smala on 21 Sep 2009, 21:41, edited 1 time in total.