Lyrics and meaning needed for 'piLLai prAyattilE'

Place to go if you want to ask someone identify raga, tala, composer etc or ask for sāhitya (lyrics) or notations or translations.
lg

Post by lg »

Can anybody provide me with Lyrics and meaning needed for 'piLLai prAyattilE'
by Subramania Bharathiar .

Thanks

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

pillai prAyattilE. rAgAmAlikA. t/Eka tALA.

(rAgA: sarasvatimanOhari)
1: piLLai prAyattilE avaL peNmaiyaik-kaNDu mayangi viTTEnangup-paLLippaDippinilE
mati paTriDavillai enilumtanippaDa vELLai malaraNaipOl avaL vINaiyum kaiyum virinda
mukhamalar viLLum poruLamudum kaNDu veLLai manadu parikoDuttEnammA
2: ADi varugayilE avaL angoru vIdi munaiyirppAL kaiyil Edu tarittiruppAL adil
ingitamAghap-padam paDippAL adai nADi arugaNaindAl pala jnAnangaL sholli inimai
sheivAL inru kUDi magizhva menrAl vizhik-kONattilE naghai kATTi shelvALammA
3: Atram karai tanilE taniyAnadOr maNTapamIdinilE tenral kATrai nugharndirundEn
anguk-kannik-kavitai koNarndu tandAL adai Etru manamagizhndE aDi ennODiNangi
maNam purivAi enru pOTriya pOdinilE iLam punnakai pUttu maraindu viTTALammA
4: cittam taLarndaduNDO kalai dEviyinmIdu viruppam vaLarndoru pittu piDittadu pOl
pagharp-pEccumiravira kanavum avaLiDai vaitta ninaivaiyallAl pira vAncaiyuNDO
vayadanganamE iru pattiranDAmaLavum veLLaippaNmaghaL kAdalaip-paTri ninrEnammA
(rAgA: shrI)
5: inda nilaiyinilE angOr inbap-pozhiliniDaivinil vEroru sundari vandu ninrAL avaL
jyOti mukhattin azhagaik-kaNDenran cintai tirai koDuttEn avaL shen tiruvenru peyar shollinAL
maTrum anda dinamudalA nenjam Arat-tazhuviDa vENDuginrEnammA
6: punnakai sheidiDuvAL aTraippOdu muzhudu magizhndiruppEn shaTren munninru pArttiDuvAL
anda mOhattilE talai shuTrik-kAN pinnarenna pizhaigaL kaNDO avaL ennai purakkaNit-tEgiDuvAL
angu cinnamum bhinnamumA manam siddhiyuLamigha nondiDuvEnammA
7. kATTu vazhigaLilE malaik-kATSiyilE punal vIzhcciyilE pala nATTuppurangaLilE nagar
naNNu shila shuDar mADattilE shila vIrariDattilum vEndariDattilum mITTum avaL varuvAL
kaNDa vindaiyilE inbamErkkoNDu pOmammA
(rAgA: punnAgavarALi)
8: pinnO nirAvinilE karum peNmai yazhagonru vandadu kaN munbu kanni vaDivamenrE
kaLi kaNDu shaTrE arugil shenru pArkkaiyil annai vaDivamaDA ivaL Adi parAshakti
dEviyaDA ivaL innaruL vENDumaDA pinnar yAvumulagil vashappaTTu-pOmaDA
9: shelvangaL pongivarum nalladen-nariveidi nalam pala shArndiDum allum paghalum
ingE ivai attanai kOTip-poruLinuLLE ninru villai ashaippavanai inda vElaiyanaittum
sheyyum vinaicciyait-tollai tavirppavaLainittam tOttiram pADit-tozhudiDuvOMaDA

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

This is another of the mahAkavI's compositions in praise of the 3 magaLs - he pays obeisance to the vINA pustakadhAriNI (kalaimagaL) very aptly in saraswatimanOhari, to the minnum navarattinam pOl mEni azhaguDaiyAL (alaimagaL) in the eponymous SrI rAgam, and finally to the nAgakaNkaNa naTarAja manOhari (malaimagaL) in punnAgavarALI. Very imaginative rAga choices.

Translating the whole thing seems daunting!
Ravi

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

In my youth (piLLai pirAyattilE), when I saw (kaNDu) her (avaL) feminine grace (peNmayaik kaNDu) I was intoxicated (mayangiviTTEn). At that time, my mind (madi) was not dealing very well (paTriDavillai) with traditional schooling (paLLipaDippinilE). Despite that (enilum), seeing (kaNDu) her (avaL) singular (tanippaDa) beauty - pure as a white flower (veLLai malarinaippOl), holding the vINa (vINaiyum kaiyyum), and her face (mukham) like a full blown (virindha) flower (malar) - and her intellect (poruLamudu), I lost (parikoDuttEn) my innocent (veLLai) mind (manadu).

meena

Post by meena »

for those interested smt. NCV has rendered this.

lg

Post by lg »

Thanks

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ravi,
As is your wont, you give a beautiful intro and explanation!

piLLai pirAyaththilE, I see as in childhood rather than in youth.
malaraNai mEl: atop a white lotus

corrections: mEl (not pOL)
muga malar viLLum (sollum)
madi paRRiDavillai eninum: though I was not mindful of my studies at school
muga malar viLLum (sollum): what her flower like face intimated me, the essence of it too (poruLamudum)
Last edited by arasi on 13 Dec 2006, 00:38, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Thanks for the corrections. I plan to go at it a bit at a time.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

On my way back (presumably from school), as I skip and dance about (ADi varugayilE), I catch sight of her at the end (munaiyirppAL) of the street (vIdi). She reads a lovely section (adil padam paDippAL) from a book held in her hands (kaiyil EDu dharittiruppAL) in a sublime way (ingitamAga). If I approach her/go near her (arugaNaindAl) seeking that (adai nADi) knowledge, she will instruct me sweetly (inimai sheivAL) in several truths and realizations (pala jnyAnagal sholli). Today (inru), if I wanted to revel (magizhvOm enrAl) in (re)-uniting (kUDi) with her, I see her smiling at me (nagai kATTi) from the corner of my eyes (vizhi kONattilE) before she disappears.

In these 2 charaNams, the poet says that he was introduced to the goddess of learning when he was a young boy. But he was not too interested in her, despite her obvious interest in him. As a man, however, even if he wants to, she is not as available to him as she used to be in his childhood.

Arasi,
I hope I got the connotation right.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Atram karai tanilE taniyAnadOr maNTapamIdinilE tenral kATrai nugharndirundEn
anguk-kannik-kavitai koNarndu tandAL adai Etru manamagizhndE aDi ennODiNangi
maNam purivAi enru pOTriya pOdinilE iLam punnakai pUttu maraindu viTTALammA

Sitting in a lonely (taniyAnadOr) mantapam by the banks of the river (ATram karai tanilE) when I was savoring (nugardirundEn) the gentle breeze (tenral kATrai), (she) gave me (konNarndu tandAL) the sweetest of poems (kani kavidai). Dancing (ADi) with joy (manam magizhndE), I accepted (adai Etru) it. As requested (pOTriya pOdinilE) her to marry me (ennODu iNaNgi maNam purivAi enru), she gave a small smile (iLam punnagai pUttu), and disappeared (marainduviTTAL)...

I think Bharati is equating his imagination and inspiration (to compose) with Saraswati - I think he is asking that he be blessed with an imagination that is always flowing in him, rather than striking him at few unexpected moments. But capricious as only a lady can be, 'she' refuses.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

If Lji''s version is correct and it is kanni kavidai tandAL, and not kani kavidai tandAL as I have interpretted, then, it would imply that Bharati is referring to kalaimagaL as a young (virginal) maiden.

arasi

Post by arasi »

verse2:
vIdi munaiyil niRpAL
padam: verse
nADi: seeking
ingithamAi: lovingly
arugaNaindAl: nearing and hugging
gnAnangaL: also knowledge
kUDi magizhvadu here is, come together
she would smile in jest (a smile at the corner of her eyes) and would disappear(the poet refers to the elusive nature of creativity).
Last edited by arasi on 13 Dec 2006, 01:05, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

verse3:
yes, Ravi, it is kanni, not kani.
Again, inspiration springs, kanni brings kavidai, he praises her for it, asks her to stay with him always (in holy matrimony!). She instantly disappears with a smile (the departed Muse).

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Thanks Arasi for those corrections and word pictures.
As an aside: I tried to avoid the word Muse (because it instantly conjures up images of Sharon Stone and Albert Brooks in the hilarious movie, 'The Muse')....
:-)
Ravi

arasi

Post by arasi »

pagaR pEchchum iraviR kanavum: pagal +pEchchum iravil+kanavum

piRa vAnchai: any other love
vayadu anganamE (thus) irubathireNDAm aLavuu: until about twenty two

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

arasi wrote:pagaR pEchchum iraviR kanavum: pagal +pEchchum iravil+kanavum

piRa vAnchai: any other love
vayadu anganamE (thus) irubathireNDAm aLavuu: until about twenty two
Arasi,
You are getting ahead of me here....I have not reached that verse yet!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ravi,
Your reference to a modern movie Muse makes me feel like a maDi sanchi:) Over-used word, yes, but I had to use the word Muse. Think of all the greasy spoon rAgA and Taj Mahal restaurants!
Last edited by arasi on 13 Dec 2006, 01:23, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ravi, The reason is that I wanted to for deal with the corrections before you started your work! Will pause, if you so wish...

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

cittam taLarndaduNDO kalai dEviyinmIdu viruppam vaLarndoru pittu piDittadu pOl
pagharp-pEccumiravira kanavum avaLiDai vaitta ninaivaiyallAl pira vAncaiyuNDO
vayadanganamE iru pattiranDAmaLavum veLLaippaNmaghaL kAdalaip-paTri ninrEnammA

I do not think my mind ever lost hope (cittam taLarndaduNDO); my desire (viruppam) for the goddess of art/Saraswati/kalAvatI (kalai deviyinmIdu) grew (vaLarndoru) enormously, that I was like a mad man (pittu piDittadu pOl), with no other desire (pira vAnchai unDO) but my thoughts of her (avaLiDam vaitta ninaivai allAl) haunting my speech during the day and my dreams at night. Thus (anganamE), I spent (ninrEnammA) the first 22 years or so of my life (vayadu irubattireNDAm aLavu) holding on to (paTTri) my love (kAdalai) for Saraswati (veLLaippaNmagal).

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Arasi,
Please get going on the next one: I am going to try my hand at the poet's dalliance with nAraNanAr dEvi....

5: inda nilaiyinilE angOr inbap-pozhiliniDaivinil vEroru sundari vandu ninrAL avaL
jyOti mukhattin azhagaik-kaNDenran cintai tirai koDuttEn avaL shen tiruvenru peyar shollinAL
maTrum anda dinamudalA nenjam Arat-tazhuviDa vENDuginrEnammA

So, when he is in this state (inda nilaiyinilE) (when he is 22), in a pleasant, and delightful garden (inba pozhilinilE), he comes upon another beauty (vEroru sundari vandu ninrAL). Seeing (kanDu) the beauty (azhagai) in her glowing face (jyOtimukhattin) he says that he lost the veil of ignorance that his mind was shrouded in (cintai tirai koDuttEn). She tells him (shollinAL) that her name (peyar endru) is lakshmI (shen tiru). And since that day (anda dinam mudalAi) I pray to her (vENDuginrEn ammA) to treat me kindly (tazhuviDa) to my heart's content (nenjam Ara).

gnanasunyam

Post by gnanasunyam »

Refer to Post 11 and 13:

Kanni Kavidhai does not mean Saraswati the Maiden gave a poem. It implies that Saraswati gave my first (Kanni) poem. In Tamil the first attempt is referred to as Kanni Muyarchchi.

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

gnanasunyam is right on the money. The words in question are "kannik kavidai". Mark the "k" after the "kanni". It refers to "kanni" being an adjective here rather than a noun. Kanni also means "youthful", "fresh", and "indestructible". As gnanasunyam mentions it also means "maiden" in the adjectival sense (e.g., maiden venture).

Ravi: Great work in translating. It appears you have stopped. Do you plan to continue? Maybe I can pitch in too. There is a total of 9 stanzas (4 for Sarasvati, 3 for Lakshmi, and 2 for KALi). I wonder whether Bharathi deliberately had this numerical (in verses) superiority to Sarasvati in mind or it just happened that way.
P.S: In case you are wondering I have a new avatar in this BB. I used my real name in sangeetham BB--Subramanian.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

No, Sub...just taking a break...I will resume soon...thanks for the corrections everyone - this is as much an educational session for me as it is for the person who requested the translation....
Sub, so far, for the ones I have attempted, we have adopted a rather heirarchical approach to these requests - with me at the bottom of the totem pole starting with my ideas, and others, more erudite, pitching in with corrections, expanded meanings, alternate interprettation etc. Most of these requests come from dancers attempting to choreograph. I try to give word-for-word meanings (padartha) if I know the dancer will be using the idiom of b'nATyam. Otherwise, I give gists (vAkyArtha). People like rasikapriya indulge me when I throw in ideas for sanchArIs as well!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

To continue:
6. punnakai sheidiDuvAL = she will smile (punnagai) at me
aTraippOdu muzhudu = (and) all through the livelong day
magizhndiruppEn = I will be happy/blissful
shaTru en munninru = for a brief moment (SaTru) (she will) appear/stand in front (munninre) of me (en)
pArttiDuvAL = she will glance at me (pArttiDuvAL)
anda mOhattilE = in that intoxicating look
talai shuTrik-kAN = my head will spin
pinnar enna pizhaigaL kaNDO = (but) just a few moments later (pinnar), finding (kaNDO) some (enna) shortcomings/faults/sins (pizhaigaL)
avaL ennai purakkaNit-tEgiDuvAL = she will dismiss me (EgivAL) with contempt (purakkaNittu)
angu cinnamum bhinnamumA manam = and right there, my heart/mind will be shattered to pieces
siddhiyuLa = NO CLUE
migha nondiDuvEnammA = I will be mightily discouraged...

Looks like while the kalaimagaL was uniformly loving and giving generously of her gifts, material wealth (alaimagaL) was more fickle in bestowing her affections on the poet - (wasn't Bharati chronically poor and in debt?)..anyway, here he says: while just a brief smile and glance from her is enough to make my head spin, and make me blissfully happy, unfortunately, probably as a punishment for some sin of mine, she withholds her favors very capriciously and breaks my heart into a million little pieces.

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

rshankar:

The line is "manam sin^diyuLamiga n^on^diDu vEnammA"

"sin^di" = be worried, be anxious (most suitable meaning in this context)
Rest of the meaning is clear

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

sub
I believe the meaning of 'sin^di' in this context is 'split or scatter'. Like 'paal sin^diyathu' meaning milk is scattered. Accordingly
'manam sin^di' would mean in this context 'mind shattered/scattered' which is appropriate to the context.

arasi

Post by arasi »

My guess too--scatter, splatter; otherwise, sindaiyuTTRu or sindai koNDu would have been the words...

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

OK, at the risk of extending this into a grammar discussion, here is my response.

As I said the exact line of Bharathi is: "manam sin^diyuLamiga n^on^diDuvEnammA"

We have to distinguish here between two very similar words; "sin^di" and "sin^du'.

"sin^du" can be both a transitive and intransitive verb (e.g., spill, scatter):

"pAl sin^diyadu" or "pAl sin^diRRu": here the word "sin^du" got derivatized (sin^di) to indicate intransitive verb.

"pAlai sin^du" --spill milk --here it is a transitive verb (stays as "sin^du")

My dictionary gives the following meanings for the world "sin^di": It is a transitive verb meaning:

to think, to consider or meditate, to desire, or to be anxious.

"manam" (mind) does think, meditate, desire or gets anxious but to say it spills or scatters is incongruous. Mind gets distracted but that meaning is not derived from "sin^di".

Further discussion welcome!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

The usage is similar to 'varundhu' = feel sorry (imperative)
We say 'manam varundhi azhuthaan' = after feeling sorry he cried.
Herein 'varundhi' is a past participle (similar to the 'tvA' pratyayam in sanskrit).
Similarly here 'sindhu' = scatter/break (imperative)
'manam sindhi..' = after breaking(figurative) the mind
The word 'sindhi' on the otherhand = think is already in the imperative.
The past participle will be 'sindhiththu'= after thinking/feeling anxious..
The two are totally different and participle formation is also different....

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

cmlover:
Your points are valid. varundu and sindu yielding varundi and sindi are on the same ground. My point is "sindu" does not mean shatter but only "spill or scatter". If the line is "manam sindi azhudAn" it would still not mean "scatter". It means the mind gets depressed or anxious. Besides, we have "manam sindiyuLamiga nondiDuvEnammA". We have two nouns here, manam and uLam. So the logical progression is "manam" got anxious first. Then "uLam" which also means "manam" then perishes (nondiDuvEn). Somehow "scatter", to me at least, does not lead to "perish". Anyway let me rest it there. We can go on and on but to no avail, in the absence of a Thamizh scholar's interpretation

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

sub
Lifco Tamil/English Lexicon gives the meaning among other things:
sindhi = to scatter, to be spilt, to be destroyed, to destroy, to waste away, to make useless, to cut off

So the meaning will fit. Bharathy is very careful in his choice of words. Note also that 'uLam' though a synonym of 'manam' also means soul or conscience giving a deeper meaning of the destuction of the mind inflicting pain into the inner conscience....

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

cmlover wrote:sub
Lifco Tamil/English Lexicon gives the meaning among other things:
sindhi = to scatter, to be spilt, to be destroyed, to destroy, to waste away, to make useless, to cut off

So the meaning will fit. Bharathy is very careful in his choice of words. Note also that 'uLam' though a synonym of 'manam' also means soul or conscience giving a deeper meaning of the destuction of the mind inflicting pain into the inner conscience....
cmlover:
I too have the Lifco dictionary. The meanings you quoted are for the word "sin^du" not "sin^di". Go back and look again. "sin^di" is a separate entry above "sin^du" which gives meanings " to think, to consider, to meditate, to desire, to be anxious".

One of the meanings you mentioned does have a typo too. It is not "to be split" but "to be spilt". Go back and look again!

As for soul, conscience, or mind, I have no problem reconciling them with uLam. My contention for that line of Bharathi is still, "my mind gets worried/anxious and it is terribly upset ( in turmoil)"

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

agreed!
sindhiththu sindhai sidhaivuRumO sIriyarE sollum
sindhai sindhi sidhaRuthalE iyalpu :)

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

cmlover wrote:agreed!
sindhiththu sindhai sidhaivuRumO sIriyarE sollum
sindhai sindhi sidhaRuthalE iyalpu :)
The caricaturist cajoles.

The critic contends!

sin^dittuc cin^dai sidaivuRum semmalE
sin^duvadE sidaRalen RaRi

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

To quote Shakespeare in support of "sin^dittuc cin^dai sidaivuRum"

"She never told her love,
But let concealment, like a worm i'th' bud,
Feed on her damask cheek. She pined in thought,
And with a green and yellow melancholy
She sat like Patience on a monument,
Smiling at grief."

Twelfth night, Act II, scene 4, 115-120

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Bravo! Can't beat that quote !
Do you know that the one who wrote it also went crazy ultimately (and it is said) that was not due to 'sindhittal' but due to GPI (you understand :)

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

Malfunction of Glucose Phosphate Isomerase? or Glycosyl Phosphatidyl Inositol?

or just a case of General Paralysis of the Insane?

Come on, cmlover. Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children, isn't it? Shakeslpeare never had children or did he?

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

Well, I guess he had two daughers and a son. They must have made him insane by listening to rap music full of foul language!!!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Actually the street talk was that he was a 'streelOlA' like our most famous Sanskrit Poet.

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

cmlover wrote:Actually the street talk was that he was a 'streelOlA' like our most famous Sanskrit Poet.
Who? KALidAsa?
With Shakespeare perhaps it was a transition from "Shakespeare on Love" to "Shakespeare in Love".

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Moving on.....

Here is my take on the last verse in parise of alaimagaL in this composition of the mahAkavi:

7. kATTu vazhigaLilE malaik-kATSiyilE punal vIzhcciyilE pala nATTuppurangaLilE nagar
naNNu shila shuDar mADattilE shila vIrariDattilum vEndariDattilum mITTum avaL varuvAL
kaNDa vindaiyilE inbamErkkoNDu pOmammA

In paths (vazhigaLilE) along the forest (kATTu), in mountainous terrains (kATSi literally means a scenery/vision), beside a waterfall (punal vIzhcciyilE), in many (pala) villages (nATTupurangaLilE), near (naNNu) a city/town (nagar), in some (Sila) brightly lit (SuDar) mansions (mADattilE), in some (Sila) brave souls (vIrar iDattilE), and in some kings (vEndar), she (avaL - meaning alaimagaL lakshmI) will appear (varuvAL) to liberate/redeem the situation. And watching this seemingly magical/beautiful (vindai) moments, will make us happy. vindai could also mean lakshmI herself - as vIra lakshmI.

I think, what the poet says is that lakshmI kaTAkSam, or glimpses of the different forms of lakshmi can be appreciated in the sylvan beauty of a path in the forest, or even a bleak mountainous terrain, in the breath-taking plunge of a waterfall, in the peaceful prosperity of villages, in the bustle of towns, in the demonstration of wealth by a brilliantly lit mansion, the valor of brave soldiers, and the wisdom and generosity of certain kings. He seems to thank her for these glimpses that should keep us happy and content.

Maybe, what the poet is saying is that despite his penury and poverty, he is indeed blessed by SrIdEvi, because he is able to envision her in all of the scenarios he has described. It is also possible that he is thanking the King of Ettayapuram, one of his early patrons (he could be one of the 'Sila vEndar').

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

Nice interpretation, rshankar!

In the midst of abject poverty only Bharathi could exude such optimism.

There is a missing phrase, "sila vETTuvar sArbinilE" (on behalf of some hunters) before "sila vIrariDattilum". He includes even the hunters here.

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

cmlover:
In the interest of fairness, I like to revise my previous interpretation of "sin^di" in the context of the verse which I neglected to read in full. I went back and read the verse again in full.The line is "sinnamum binnamumA mananJc cin^diyuLamiga n^on^diDuvEnammA"

There you see the words "sinnamum binnamumA" which indicates "into various pieces". If so "sin^di" should now mean "broken" (uDain^du). Then "n^ondiDuvEn" would follow naturally.

The meaning then is, "my mind/heart will shatter into umpteen pieces and I will be in terrible agony/misery".

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

mahakavi wrote:Nice interpretation, rshankar!
There is a missing phrase, "sila vETTuvar sArbinilE" (on behalf of some hunters) before "sila vIrariDattilum". He includes even the hunters here.
Thanks!
Also, thanks for the missing phrase: I was just translating from the verses provided by Lji. I was not familiar with this poem before this thread was started!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ravi,
A poetic rendering of the meaning! mayil ERm perumAn alerted you about the missing phrase. Some more: kaNDa vindaiyilE inbamERkoNDu pOgudammA: I am overcome with joy when I behold the magic/beauty that you are!
Last edited by arasi on 24 Jan 2007, 18:38, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Thanks Arasi...as you know, the 'poetic' part can only be inspired by the mahAkavi himself!

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

arasi:
I have two different editions (pUmpuhar padippagam, and Sri Indu Publications) of Bharathiyar pADalgaL. Both of them give the version as "kaNDa vin^diayilE inbamERkoNDu pOmammA".
The meaning would not change but the word is "pOmammA".

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

Lakshman wrote:8: pinnO nirAvinilE karum peNmai yazhagonru vandadu kaN munbu kanni vaDivamenrE
kaLi kaNDu shaTrE arugil shenru pArkkaiyil annai vaDivamaDA ivaL Adi parAshakti
dEviyaDA ivaL innaruL vENDumaDA pinnar yAvumulagil vashappaTTu-pOmaDA
9: shelvangaL pongivarum nalladen-nariveidi nalam pala shArndiDum allum paghalum
ingE ivai attanai kOTip-poruLinuLLE ninru villai ashaippavanai inda vElaiyanaittum
sheyyum vinaicciyait-tollai tavirppavaLainittam tOttiram pADit-tozhudiDuvOMaDA
In case Ravi does not have the text with him, here are a few corrections in the remaining verses.

Verse 8: pinno nirAvinilE---->pinnOr irAvinilE
Verse 9: nallden-nariveidy---->nalla teLLaRiveydi
ashaippavanai ----> asaippavaLai
vElaiyanaittum ---> vElaiyanaittaiyum

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

The last two verses are on kALi. I shall not pre-empt rshankar but let me just say that Bharathi throws a curve ball here saying that he sights a beautiful damsel and before we prepare ourselves for a feast he delivers a thunder saying that it is not a damsel but MOTHER Goddess. Beware!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thanks, mahakavi! One of my books says that as well! Thank goodness, I didn't bend the meaning!
Ah, that man! Curve balls, eh? Let me go to the book...
Last edited by arasi on 24 Jan 2007, 22:57, edited 1 time in total.