Punniyam Oru Koti

Place to go if you want to ask someone identify raga, tala, composer etc or ask for sāhitya (lyrics) or notations or translations.
narayanan88

Punniyam Oru Koti

Post by narayanan88 »

Can someone give me the lyrics for Punniyam Oru Koti of Periyasami Thooran in Keeravani...

Thanks in advance...

Enna_Solven

Re: Punniyam Oru Koti

Post by Enna_Solven »

Lyrics from Sri Lakshman

puNNiyam oru kOTi. rAgA: kIravANi. Adi tALA.

P: puNNiyam oru kOTi purindEnO nAn pOTriDum kAmakOTi AcAryAL aruL peravE
A: kaNNil karuNai kATTi karamalar abayam kATTi eNNilA inbam kUTTi enai avar ATkoLLa
C: annai kAmAkSi pOlE anbE vaDivAi vandAr amudUrum eLiya sollAl arumarai ellAm tandAr
tannai marandu aduvE tAnAgum tava vEndar caraNAravindam adil tanjam pughundiDa nAn

narayanan88

Post by narayanan88 »

thanks a ton!!!

Gladfan

Post by Gladfan »

Can someone please provide the meaning to this song?

I must also add that I think the best version I have heard of this song would have to be KVN's. Excellent niraval.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Here is my attempt:
pallavi
puNNiyam oru kOTi purindEnO nAn pOTriDum kAmakOTi AcAryAL aruL peravE (puNNiyam oru kOTi...)

Have I performed (purindEnO) countless (oru kOTi) [1] virtuous deeds (puNNiyam), to be able to receive (peravE) the blessings (aruL) of the seer/pontiff (AcAryAL) of the kAmkOTi pITham, that I (nAn) revere/worship (pOTRiDum)?

anupallavi
kaNNil karuNai kATTi karamalar abhayam kATTi eNNilA inbam kUTTi enai avar ATkoLLa (puNNiyam oru kOTi...)

Showing (kATTi) compassion (karuNai) in his eyes (kaNNil), and reassuring fearlessness (abhayam) through his hand (karamalar), and adding countless (eNilA) joys (inbam) to my life, (have I performed countless virtuous deeds for) him (avar) to admit me (enai) into his grace (ATkoLLa)?

caraNam
annai kAmAkSi pOlE anbE vaDivAi vandAr amudUrum eLiya sollAl arumarai ellAm tandAr
tannai marandu aduvE tAnAgum tava vEndar caraNAravindam adil tanjam pugundiDa nAn (puNNiyam oru kOTi...)

He appeared on this earth/come (vandAr) as the very embodiment (vaDivAi) of love (anbE) just like (pOlE) the divine mother (annai) kAmAkshi, and has given/taught (tandAr) us all (ellAm) the unique/pre-eminent (aru) texts/vEdas (marai) in easily (eLiya) understood language (sollAl) [2]. (Have I performed countless virtuous deeds) to be able to seek refuge (tanjam pugundiDa) in (adil) the lotus (aravindam)-like feet (caraNa) of the supreme/best ascetic (tava vEndar) [3] who has become (tAnAgum) the very embodiment of those (aduvE) very religious texts that he explains with such passion, even forgetting (marandu) himself (tannai) in them?
FOOTNOTES
[1] kOTi is a crore literally
[2] Refers to the fact that senior pontiff/mahAperiyavar gave numerous discourses and wrote many articles to explain the essence of the religious texts in simple tamizh, so that even the common man could understand them
[3] I have translated this contextually - since vEntan means indra, and indra is used as a suffix to denote the best among any group (dEvEndra, narEndra etc...), I have translated tava vEndar as the best among or king of the ascetics

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

rshankar wrote: 16 Jan 2011, 18:37 Here is my attempt:
(...)

caraNam
annai kAmAkSi pOlE anbE vaDivAi vandAr amudUrum eLiya sollAl arumarai ellAm tandAr
tannai marandu aduvE tAnAgum tava vEndar caraNAravindam adil tanjam pugundiDa nAn (puNNiyam oru kOTi...)

He appeared on this earth/come (vandAr) as the very embodiment (vaDivAi) of love (anbE) just like (pOlE) the divine mother (annai) kAmAkshi, and has given/taught (tandAr) us all (ellAm) the unique/pre-eminent (aru) texts/vEdas (marai) in easily (eLiya) understood language (sollAl) [2]. (Have I performed countless virtuous deeds) to be able to seek refuge (tanjam pugundiDa) in (adil) the lotus (aravindam)-like feet (caraNa) of the supreme/best ascetic (tava vEndar) [3] who has become (tAnAgum) the very embodiment of those (aduvE) very religious texts that he explains with such passion, even forgetting (marandu) himself (tannai) in them?
FOOTNOTES
(...)
[3] I have translated this contextually - since vEntan means indra, and indra is used as a suffix to denote the best among any group (dEvEndra, narEndra etc...), I have translated tava vEndar as the best among or king of the ascetics

Ravi, I came across this while listening to this song a couple of days ago.. I found it a very beautiful song. Thanks for a great translation as always..

If you don't mind I would like to put out another interpretation of the line

"Tannai Marandu Athuve Thaanagum Thava Vendar"

Given that he is considered the embodiment of love, and a truly self-realized soul, I would prefer to translate that line as
The greatest of ascetics who gave up his ego to lose himself in a union with the ultimate reality that is Brahman.

I am not sure of this (because I don't know philosophical terms like Tat Tvam Asi in Tamil ), yet feel convinced that it is possible to interpret "Athuve Thaanagum" as the third person form in Tamil for Tat Tvam Asi, the crux of Advaita.. It was his achievement, I think, and the way to reach that state is to dissociate from all that is limiting, the ego, the sense of "I," as limited to one's mind and body, i.e. "Tannai Maranthu."

I could not find any TAmil translations of this crucial phrase: Tat Tvam Asi.

I think you have referred back to the previous line to find the meaning of this line, but as in most poetry, this line could stand by itself, meaningwise.

Would you or anybody else please comment on my interpretation?

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Ranganayaki - your interpretation can also work, IMO.