kannai thirandhu, bilahari, OVK

Place to go if you want to ask someone identify raga, tala, composer etc or ask for sāhitya (lyrics) or notations or translations.
hianusree

kannai thirandhu, bilahari, OVK

Post by hianusree »

Hi,
Where can I listen to this song in bilahari- kannai tirandhu paar maname, a oothukadu venkatakavi composition.
thank you in advance

rshankar

Re: kannai thirandhu, bilahari, OVK

Post by rshankar »

Sri TNS' version is wonderful, and I think his siSya, Smt. Gayatri Girish also sings this.

hianusree

Post by hianusree »

hi,

can you post any link of the audio please,

Regards

Jigyaasa

Post by Jigyaasa »

Can someone please share the philosophical import of this song? I have attempted an amateur and incomplete translation. Thanks! (Link: https://youtu.be/sD6Mak757I0?t=518)

Lyrics from karnatik.com courtesy Sri Lakshman

pallavi

kaNNait-tirandu pAr manamE endak-kAlamum tavam sheidAlum kANalaridAgina
open your eye and see, heart; any time performing penance ...
mAdhavan vegu nEramAga kAttirukkinrAn undan munnamE jnAnak-
Krishna has been waiting for a long time in front of you (knowledge)
anupallavi

paNNum iyalum shErndolikka iru pArvaiyenum nIlamaNi jolikka paNNum
song and literature join and are heard, the blue gem of sight twinkles
tavam ellAm palikka undan pArvai munnE vandu ninru sEvai tandu kaLikka
the penance done bears fruit, your sight appears in front and I offer service

caraNam

nIlavaNNat-tOghaiyonru nEraninru Adi Adi nirttamuDum muDiyinaik-kANAi
one blue colored feather ... dancing
nenjE unaiyALLum mandAra mAlaiyum ninru ashaindADuvadaik-kaN tirandu kANAi
kAlai vaLaittu ninru gAnakkuzhal Udum andak-kATSiyinaik-kaN tirandu kANAi unnaik-
twisting leg and standing, playing the flute, beholding that sight...
kANak-kANa sholliyum nI kANAdu pOnAl kAlamellAm pOgudu
(madhyamakAlam)
kaninda vidhavidhamAna mozhi palavum kannattiDai kuzhinda kuzhiyum
nalamarinda nannaghaiyum piravum nAn shollat-taghumO
inik-kANa peruvadu nIyena nAnena Elam viDuvadu taghumO
ihapara sukhamO idanilum madu-vadhikamO iNai perumO konjamEnum

Jigyaasa

Post by Jigyaasa »

@rshankar, requesting your input, please :) thanks!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Jigyaasa wrote: 17 Aug 2017, 19:30 @rshankar, requesting your input, please :) thanks!
I am going to start by attempting the meaning first - hopefully, that will reveal more about the underlying import!

Starting off with the pallavi and anupallavi. caraNam and the madhyamakAla sAhityam to follow......

pallavi
kaNNait-tirandu pAr manamE endak-
kAlamum tavam sheidAlum
kANalaridAgina mAdhavan vegu nEramAga
kAttirukkinrAn undan munnamE jnAnak-(kaNNai)

Oh mind (manamE), please open (tiRandu) your eyes (kaNNai) - your eyes of wisdom (gynAna-kaNNai), and take a look (pAr): kRshNa (mAdhavan) - who is typically difficult/impossible (aridAgina) to behold (kANal) even if one were to engage in/perform (seidAlum) austere penance (tavam) at all (enda) times (nEramum) - has been waiting (kAttirukkirAn) right in front (munnamE) of you (undan) for a long (vegu) time (nEramAgavE).

anupallavi
paNNum iyalum sErndolikka iru
pArvaiyenum nIlamaNi jolikka
paNNum tavam ellAm palikka undan
pArvai munnE vandu ninru sEvai tandu kaLikka

(And how is kRshNa waiting for you, Oh mind?) With melody (paNNum) and lyrics (iyalum) sounding (olikka) together (sErndu), with the twin (iru) dark gems (nIla maNi), that are his eyes (pArvaiyenum), shining (jolikka), with all (ellAm) the penance (tavam) (you are) performing (paNNum) yielding results (palikaa), he has come (vandu) and is standing (ninRu) in front (munnE) of your (undan) eyes (pArvai) to offer his services (sEvai tandu) and rejoice (kaLikka) with you.

Jigyaasa

Post by Jigyaasa »

Thanks a lot, rshankar! Looking forward to the rest of the translation!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Here you go - I made some changes to the pallavi and anupallavi as well....The word in red is something I am not sure of.
As always, please feel free to correct me. Clarifications are also welcome.

pallavi
kaNNait-tirandu pAr manamE endak-
kAlamum tavam sheidAlum
kANalaridAgina mAdhavan vegu nEramAga
kAttirukkinrAn undan munnamE jnAnak-(kaNNai)

Oh mind (manamE), please open (tiRandu) your eyes (kaNNai) - your eyes of wisdom (gynAna-kaNNai), and take a look (pAr): kRshNa (mAdhavan) - who is typically difficult/impossible (aridAgina) to behold (kANal) even if one were to engage in/perform (seidAlum) austere penance (tavam) at all (enda) times (nEramum) - has been waiting (kAttirukkirAn) right in front (munnamE) of you (undan) for a long (vegu) time (nEramAgavE).

anupallavi
paNNum iyalum sErndolikka iru
pArvaiyenum nIlamaNi jolikka (nAn)
paNNum tavam ellAm palikka undan
pArvai munnE vandu ninru sEvai tandu kaLikka

(And how is kRshNa waiting for you, Oh mind?) With melody (paNNum) and lyrics (iyalum) sounding (olikka) together (sErndu), with the twin (iru) dark gems (nIla maNi), that are his eyes (pArvaiyenum), shining (jolikka), with all (ellAm) the penance (tavam) I am (nAn) performing (paNNum) yielding results (palikaa), he has come (vandu) and is standing (ninRu) in front (munnE) of your (undan) eyes (pArvai) to offer his services (sEvai tandu) and rejoice (kaLikka) with you.

caraNam
nIlavaNNa tOgai onRu nEraninRu ADi ADi nRttamiDum muDiyinai kANAi
nenjE unai aLLum mandAra mAlaiyum ninRu asaindADuvadai kaN tirandu kANAi
kAlai vaLaittu ninRu gAnakkuzhal Udum anda kATshiyinai kaN titandu kANAi unnai-k
kANa-k-kANa solliyum nI kANAdu pOnal un kAlam ellAm pOgudu vINAi

Please notice/see/behold (kANAi) the dancing (nRttamiDum) coif/head (muDiyinai) where a (onRu) blue (nIla)-hued (vaNNa) feather stands (ninRu) in front (nEra) and sways (ADi ADi). Oh heart (nenjE), please open (tirandu) your eyes (kaN) and behold (kANAi) how the garland (mAlaiyum) of purple orchid/nIlavarutti flowers (mandAra) that has captured (aLLum) you (unai) dances/sways (ninRu asaindu ADuvadai).
Please open (tirandu) your eyes (kaN) to behold (kANAi) that (anda) sight (kATshiyinai) of the lord standing (ninRu) with his feet (kAlai) bent (vaLaittu) [1] and playing (Udum) on his flute (gAnakkuzhal). Now, despite being told (solliyum) repeatedly to see/notice (kANa kANa), if you (nI) do not see (kANAdu pOnAl) (the Lord), then all (ellAm) your (un) time (kAlam) is going (pOgudu) to waste (vINAi).

madhayamakAla sAhityam
kaninda vidavidamAna mozhi palavum kannatiDai kuzhinda kuzhiyO?
nalamarinda nannagaiyum piRayum nAn solla tagumO?
ini-k-kANa peruvadu nIyena nAnena Elam viDuvadu tagumO?
ihapara sukhamO? idanilum adu adhikamO? iNai perumO? konja nEram (kaNNai tirandu pAr manamE…)

Are the deep dimples (kuzhinda kuzhiyO) on (his) cheeks (kannatiDai) a result of multiple (palavum) and various (vidavidamAna) sweet (kaninda) words/languages/melodies (mozhi)?
Am I (nAn) worthy of (tagumO) of describing (solla) the beautiful smile (nannagaiyum) and the crescent moon-like ornament (piRayum) [2] that know (arinda) what is good (nalam)? Is it now (ini) appropriate (tagumO) to auction off (Elam viDuvadu) the rights to see (kANa peRuvadu) (him) to you (nIyena) or me (nAnena)? Is (this vision) the bliss (sukhamO) realized in this (iha) and the after (para)-world? Or is that (adu) more (adhikamO) than this (idanilum)? Or will it become (perumO) its equal (iNai)? (Please open your eyes, oh mind, and behold this sight) for at least a few (konjam) moments (nEram)…..

FOOTNOTES
[1] According to discourses of Needamangalam Sri Krishnamurthy Bhagavatar, the arrangement of kRshNa's feet, legs, and body were of particular importance to Sri OVK: he has drawn attention to the contrast between how kRshNa is depicted as standing up straight as he holds the gOvardhan mountain, but he is shown in tri-bhangi when playing the flute, possibly pointing out that the music in his flute 'out weighs' even the mountain; another point he makes is that kRshNa's feet represent truth (satya) and righteousness (dharma), and how the typical representation of kRshNa's feet convey the message that righteousness has to be firmly and fully planted/established, whatever the cost, even if truth isn't....
[2] I think this refers to the candra-prabhai and not just the crescent moon

Jigyaasa

Post by Jigyaasa »

🙏

Ponbhairavi

Post by Ponbhairavi »

My three cents:
-sEvai thandhu=giving dharshan. sEvai sAdhithal in vaishnava sampradAya Garuda sevai - inTirupati thOmAla sEva,dharshan with garland of thulasi- indha nAlil vandhu sEvai tharugirAr ( yArO ivar yAro-GKB)
- kAlai vaLaithu=crossing(flexing) one leg
- piRaiyum.in the first post it is noted as piRavum.nannagaiyum piRavum=smile and other things. literally cf latin "et cetera "