Meaning of gOmati tAyE - Papanasam sivan requested

Place to go if you want to ask someone identify raga, tala, composer etc or ask for sāhitya (lyrics) or notations or translations.
narayara000

Meaning of gOmati tAyE - Papanasam sivan requested

Post by narayara000 »

gOmati tAyE - yadakulakAmbhOji - Adi - P. Sivan

pallavi

gOmati tAyE inda varam koDuttaruLvAyE amba

anupallavi

bhUmiyil pala piravi eDuttAlum nin koi malar sEvaDi maravA vaNNam shrI

caraNam

un padam paNivOrkku oru bhayam kiDaiyAdu-enDruttama bhaktargaL pOTrip-pugazh kETTu tunbam ara shankara nArAyaNan tOL tazhuvum dEvi nin tAL paNindEn ammA
(madhyama kAlam)
shruti purANa sAshtrAgamam ariyEn tuDittunakkut-toNDu puriyavum ariyEn
un tiruvaruLuk-kEnginEn shankaran kOyil valam vara ninaittuhu vandEn

Rajani

Re: Meaning of gOmati tAyE - Papanasam sivan requested

Post by Rajani »

Here is my attempt:

- I think it must be "pugazha", "tudittu " , "ninaittu vandEn".

gOmati tAyE amba - O mother Gomati!
inda varam koDuttaruLvAyE - Please grant me this boon,

nin koi malar sEvaDi maravA vaNNam - such that I won't forget your feet that resemble cut/plucked flowers,
bhUmiyil pala piravi eDuttAlum - even if I take many births upon this earth.

un padam paNivOrkku oru bhayam kiDaiyAdu- -"There is nothing to fear for those who salute your feet"
enru uttama bhaktargaL pOTrip-pugazha - thus your eminent devotees praise and celebrate (you).
kETTu tunbam ara - Hearing (this), - to get rid of my sorrows,
nin tAL paNindEn ammA - I bowed to your feet, mother!
shankara nArAyaNan tOL tazhuvum dEvi - O one who embraces Lord Shankaranarayana!

shruti purANa sAshtrAgamam ariyEn - I know not the Vedas, Puranas and Shastras and Agamas.
tudittu unakkut-toNDu puriyavum ariyEn - I know not to praise and perform services to you,
un tiruvaruLuk-kEnginEn - I have yearned for your divine grace!
shankaran kOyil valam vara ninaittu vandEn - I came wanting to circumambulate (your temple) Sankarankovil.

Corrections and additions are welcome!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Rajani - very nice as usual! Question for you - is the main deity in this temple an amalgam of Siva and vishNu (SankaranArAyaNan)? OR is the reference in the caraNam to Sankaran and nArAyaNan?

Rajani

Post by Rajani »

Thanks Ravi. The legend of Sankarankovil is that Parvati performed penance to know who is greater - Shiva or Vishnu, and Shiva appeared to her in the form of Sankaranarayana ( the same left half that goes to Parvati was now Vishnu) to show her that they both are one.

The Apsaras became cows and gave company to Parvati during her penance and hence her name Go-mati (Avudaiya Nayaki)!

This event is enacted as Adi-tapasu in the month of Adi and lakhs of people attend.

Rajani

Post by Rajani »

There are 3 main shrines in this temple - Sankaralingam, GOmati and Sankaranarayana, who is decorated very beautifully with the unique adornments of both Shiva and Vishnu.

aaaaabbbbb

Post by aaaaabbbbb »

Rajani

Thanks for the lovely translation.

Thank you for the details of shankaran kovil and gOmati.
I was under the impression that
gOmati was the name of a river.

Regards

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Rajani - thank you so much! Knowing the sthala purANam is indeed priceless - and so beautiful.... My idea of SankaranArAyaNan as a deity has been shaped by Smt. MSS' version of tAzh SaDaiyum nIL muDiyum, pon mazhuvum cakkaramum.....

Rajani

Post by Rajani »

Thank you, Savitriji and Ravi. There are many temples in the Tirunelveli area where the goddess is called Gomati. Harihara/Sankaranarayana/Keshavardhamurthy is one of the 64 Murthams of Shiva
http://shaivam.org/gallery/image/forms/ ... vartha.jpg