Pirava Varam tharum meaning

Place to go if you want to ask someone identify raga, tala, composer etc or ask for sāhitya (lyrics) or notations or translations.
pramadoss

Pirava Varam tharum meaning

Post by pramadoss »

Dear all

I am having trouble with the meaning of the charanam of this Papanasam Sivan composition in Latangi. Please help...

In the 3rd line of the charanam, is it as stated below?...mundhai vinai kora......does this mean "Listen as I rant about my previous birth sins?"

Or is it mundhai vinai poga....so that sins from my previous births are gone.

Thank you!!
Priya

Ragam: Lathangi (63rd Melakartha Ragam)
ARO: S R2 G3 M2 P D1 N3 S ||
AVA: S N3 D1 P M2 G3 R2 S ||
Talam: Adi, 1 kalai
Composer: Papanasam Sivan
Version: Neyveli Santhanagopalan

Pallavi
piRavaa varam thaarum pemmaanE (piRavaa)

Anupallavi
piRavaa varam thaarum piRandhaalun thiruvadi
maRavaa varam thaarum maanila mElinip (piRavaa)

caraNam
paarvathi nEyaa baktha SaHaayaa
bandham aRaadhaa vandharuL thaathaa
mundhai vinai kOra sindhaakulam theera
endhaayun paadhaara vindham thuNai sErap

Meaning: (approximate: please report any errors)
O Lord (“Pemmaane”)! Please give (“thaarum”) me the boon (“varam”) of no re-births (“piravaa”).
Please give me the boon (“varam”) of no re-births (“piravaa”). Even in case I am re-born (“Pirandhaal”) in (“MElini”) this world (“mAnila”), please give me (“thaarum”) the boon (“varam”) of not forgetting (“maravaa”) to worship at your holy feet (“thiruvadi”).

You are the husband (“Neyaa”) of Parvathi. You help and accompany (“Sahaayaa”) your devotees (“Bhaktha”). You are the life of relationships (“Bandham”). Come O Lord (“Vandharul”) and bless me (”Thaa”). Come (“Mundhai”) and listen (“Kora”) to my prayers (“Vinai”). Come and remove (“Theera”) my unhappy thoughts (“Sindhaakulam”). I want to pray at your (“Endhaayun”) lotus feet (“Paadhaara Vindham”) and reach you (“ThunaiSerap”).

narayara000

Re: Pirava Varam tharum meaning

Post by narayara000 »

I wonder why, in the charanam all the lines except the first line have the "ndh" second syllable rhyme.

paarvathi nEyaa baktha SaHaayaa <---not found in this line
ba"ndh"am aRaadhaa va"ndh"aruL thaathaa
mu"ndh"ai vinai kOra si"ndh"aakulam theera
e"ndh"aayun paadhaara vi"ndh"am thuNai sErap

Rajani

Post by Rajani »

Just a thought - the kOra could be "ghOra" (terrible), which would become k in Tamil. Then the meaning would be ' terrible suffering due to past sins"

pramadoss

Post by pramadoss »

Thank you very much Rajani!!! I talked to a local musician and he confirmed it was ghora vinai theera....thank you again!