Padam- Thiruvotriyur Thyagarajan

Place to go if you want to ask someone identify raga, tala, composer etc or ask for sāhitya (lyrics) or notations or translations.
Dhim

Padam- Thiruvotriyur Thyagarajan

Post by Dhim »

Hi Everyone,

I was looking for the meaning to Thriuvotriyur Thygarajan: Ragam- Athana, Talam- Rupakam, Composer- Ghanam Krishna Aiyyar. This padam was popularised by the great duo, the sisters, T Brinda & T Muktha. If you could please post the meaning + lyrics it would be much appreciated. Thank you so much!!!

Dhim

Re: Padam- Thiruvotriyur Thyagarajan

Post by Dhim »

Hi Pratyaksham Bala,

Thank you for the lyrics, would you happen to know the meaning of this song?

Rajani

Post by Rajani »

Just a simple attempt :

tiruvoTriyUr tyAgarAjan - Lord Tyagaraja of Tiruvottriyur
chidvilAsa nAthanaDi - is the lord of the bliss of awareness

paruvattilE avar pAdamE paNindadallAl onrariyEn - I know nothing other than worshipping his feet, in my youth
uruvattilE avarai kaNDa pin OhO nAn enna sheivEn - After having seem him in his form, O what do I do (overwhelmed by love)

pArtta kaNgaL pArttadu pOl pArttaviDamellAm enakku tOnrudaDi - Wherever I see, it seems to me like the moment my eyes were beholding him.
sakhiyE tOghaiyE - O friend, lovely as a peacock!
oru vazhi shollaDi - Tell me a way (out of this)!
AttirattAl manam padari - WIth my mind agitated due to unreasonable emotion,
AshaiyAgi mei melindEn - I am overcome with love and am thinning!
tOttiram sheidu avarkkum enakkum tondam viDAmal shei sukIrtamuNDu - Indeed I have the merit (of past good deeds) so as to sing his praises and ensure that this bond between him and me is not lost.

aaaaabbbbb

Post by aaaaabbbbb »

Rajani.

Lovely translation.

Regards

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Rajani - lovely as usual. Just a question - since this is a conversation between the nAyika and her friend, I have always interpreted
tOttiram sheidu avarkkum enakkum tondam viDAmal shei sukIrtamuNDu as the nAyika asking her tOzhi to keep the lovers together - as if she is telling her, "unakku sukirtam uNDu" if you keep us together by singing his praises...
"By singing his praises (tOttiram seidu), please ensure (Sei) that the connection (tondam) between him (avarkkum) and me (enakkum) is not broken (viDAmal), (and if you do so), you will be rewarded (uNDu) with virtue/merits (sukirtam)".

It is also how I have seen this choreographed in the past as well. Is that not correct?

Rajani

Post by Rajani »

Thank you Savitriji and Ravi. Yes the interpretation you have made is more beautiful and apt.

Dhim

Post by Dhim »

Rajani- Thank you for such a beautiful translation and it definitely was more than just a simple attempt! It captured the esssence of the song very well!! Thank you so much!!!

Rshankar- Thank you for adding your knowledge. I'm very glad that there is finally a translation for this beautiful padam on the internet!

RaviSri

Post by RaviSri »

paruvattilE avar pAdamE paNindadallAl onrariyEn - I know nothing other than worshipping his feet, in my youth
uruvattilE avarai kaNDa pin OhO nAn enna sheivEn - After having seem him in his form, O what do I do (overwhelmed by love)
The 'original' anupallavi, as written by Ghanam Krishna Iyer is different. It is explicitly lurid, hence un-singable and un-danceable in the post-devadasi era. Therefore, the Dhanammal family changed the text to what it is above. Rangaramanuja Iyengar gives a different set of text in the anupallavi. This is just for information. There are such padams, especially in Tamil, especially of Ghanam Krishna Iyer.

Rajani

Post by Rajani »

Thank you Sir, for that interesting information.