Composer for rAdhA kAnthA shyamaLAngA ?

Place to go if you want to ask someone identify raga, tala, composer etc or ask for sāhitya (lyrics) or notations or translations.
MaalirumSolaiNambi

Post by MaalirumSolaiNambi »

(Cross posted from the D.Pasupathi [Vidwans] thread ? hoping to get more ?views? and perhaps catch lightning in a bottle)

My earliest memories in life are living just a few yards away from the music classroom at the Theosophical High School within the Theosophical society campus in Adyar -- where the KFI school now is.

(coolkarni, there used to be an old fort or palace like big structure inside, and behind that were some living quarters where the long time HM Krishnarathnam and three other teachers lived, as well as a music class room -- do not know if the structures still exist).

And two of my favorites were Gokula Nilaya and also a song which started "rAdha kAntha shyamalALanga dwaraka vAsA mAdhavA ..."

As a 2 or 3 year old, I used to stand across from the class, and ask the teacher to sing again and again those two -- and the teacher and the students usually complied with my request!

In the Pasupathi thread, ?padren68? posted a rapidshare link for D.Pasupathi?s rendering of Gokula nilaya -- Thanks again for bringing back memories from long, long ago.

Now, if only someone else has a copy of "rAdha kAnthA ..."

Don't know who the composer is -- all I remember is what I listened to when I was between 2 and 5 years old -- quite a while ago. Have done google searches, no luck.

The raga is BhimpLas (guess that explains why I liked both rAdhA kanthA and gOkula nilaya) -- and given that it was taught at the Theosophical High School, I imagine there must be a Varadachar or Vasudevachar or some other Kalakshetra connection (of course, I may be wrong).

The lyrics, from memory are as follows:

rAdhA kanthA shyamaLAngA
dwaraka vAsA madhAvA

kamsa dwamki veNuka bandhana (? - sorry, my sanskrit is not good)
kaLiNga nardhana keshava

Sanka chakra dhara peethambaradhara
garuda vAhana murahari
gokula VAsA nathajana sheela
gOpI ramaNa keshava

CHELLAM

Post by CHELLAM »

YES I LEARNT IT FROM MY MUSIC TEACHER IN CHENNAI LONG TIME AGO!
BUT WE USED TO SING IT IN SINDHUBHAIRAVI

I THINK THE WORDS GO LIKE THIS

RADHA KANTHA SHYAMALANGA
DWARAKA VASA MADHAVE
KAMSA DWAMSI DHENUKA BHANDHANA
KALINGA NARDHANA KESHAVA
CHANGUCHAKRADHARA PEETHAMBHARADHARA
GARUDA VAHANA DAYANIDHE
GOKULA BALA NANDAGUNA SHEELA
GOPI RAMANA KESHAVA
(CORRECTIONS WELCOME)

CarnatiCalifornia

Re: Composer for rAdhA kAnthA shyamaLAngA ?

Post by CarnatiCalifornia »

We sing it in Sindhu Bhairavi as well!

You find the lyrics, meaning, and audio at: https://youtu.be/eZ-zNDegHDw.

Chellam ji, few corrections to the LYRICS:

pallavi
HARI RADHA KANTHA SHYAMALANGA
DWARAKA VASA MADHAVE

charanam 1
KAMSA DWAMSI DHENUKA MARDHANA
KALINGA NARDHANA KESHAVA

charanam 2
SHANKA CHAKRA DHARA PEETHAMBHARADHARA
GARUDA VAHANA MURARE

charanam 3
GOKULA BALA NATHAJANA LOLA