lyrics nee inda mayam

Place to go if you want to ask someone identify raga, tala, composer etc or ask for sāhitya (lyrics) or notations or translations.
krishnaa

Post by krishnaa »

can i please have the lyrics for the varnam - nee indha mayam composed by Sti Papanasam Sivan in ragam dhanyasi.
thanks

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

krishnaa

Post by krishnaa »

Thanks Ravi.
I should have searched before posting a query... i think i was in a haste.

can i please have the translation of the varnam. it is a lovely composition (from the little words that i can understand :)) in a very nice raga... i wish to discuss it.
Last edited by krishnaa on 26 Feb 2008, 20:04, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Krishnaa,

I somehow felt that you would ask for the meaning!

As far as the musicality of the piece goes, Arun maybe able to help you there - he is in love with this pada varNam!

I had translated this some time ago, and fortunately, I had retained an eCopy. So here goes. In this varNam, the lovelorn nAyikA is suffering extreme physical distress at being ignored by the Lord of madurai (probably kUDal azhagar - Rajani/Arasi can confirm/explain). Instead of sending her friend, or her pet swan/parrot/dove as a messenger, she decides to argue her case directly. She alternates between desperate pleading, and exasperated chiding.

P: nI inda mAyam sheidAl nyAyam tAnO dayAnidhiyE

Oh repository (nidhiyE) of compassion (dayA)! Is it fair/just (nyAyam tAnO) for you (nI) to perform (sheidAl) magic/tricks (mAyam) like this (inda)?

A: pAyum mAran ambinAlE puNpaDu pAvaiyaik-kaNNAl pArAmal innum

(Is it fair for you) to ignore/not see with your eyes (kaNNAl pArAmal) for so long (innum) the maiden (pAvaiyai) who is tortured/wounded (puNpaDu) by the arrows (ambinAlE) that spring (pAyum) from the bow of manmatha (mAran)?

ciTTasvara sAhityam:
nIyallAl tuNaiyillai bhuvi tanilE dayai purivaiyE nijamidu vanaja nayana

Oh lotus-eyed one (vanaja-nayanA)! It (idu) is the absolute truth (nijam) that other than you (nI allAl), there is no other (illai) constant companion (tuNai) in this journey of life on (tanilE) this earth (bhuvi)! I plead with you to show/shower (purivAyE) your compassion (dayai) on me.

ninadu ubhaya caraNam kanavilum maravA enadu tApamara vandaruL iraivA

Oh Lord (iraivA)! Please come (vandu) and bless (aruL) me, who has not forgotten (maravA) the succor of your (ninadu) two (ubhaya) feet (caraNam) even in my dreams (kanavilum), so that my (enadu) distress/anguish/thirst (tApam) is quenched (ara)!

muraLi gAna kuLir niraimati vadananE murahara munivar tozhum kamala caraNanE

You are the one with the Lotus-like feet (kamala caraNanE), Oh vanquisher (hara) of the demon mura, and the object of the prayers (tozhum) of even learned sages (munivar)! As you enthrall us with the music (gAna) from your flute (muraLI) your face (vadananE) looks radiant, lustrous, beautiful, calm and cooling (kuLir) like the full moon (nirai mati).

rAdhai maNavALA tuyaram ini tALEn mugil nigar dayALA yadu patiyE

Oh Leader (patiyE) of the yAdavAs (yadu)! Consort/husband/bridegroom [maNAvALA = he who rules (ALa) the lady's heart (manam)] of the lovely rAdhA (rAdhai)! Oh compassionate one (dayALA) who is as (nigar) dark-hued as a rain-bearing cloud (mugil)! I can not bear (tALEn) the distress (tuyaram) brought upon by your indifference for even a second anymore (ini).

C: Ayarkula dIpamE aruL tArAi

Oh Lord (who is) the glory of the race (kuladIpamE) of the yAdavAs (Ayar - literally cowherds), please grant (tArAi) me your blessings/grace (aruL).

1: svAmi nI kaN pAr satyabhAmA lOlA gOpAlA

Lord (svAmI) gOpAlA [1], delighter of (lOlA) of satyabhAmA, I beseech you (nI) to please cast your eyes (kaN pAr) on this hapless being.

2: sArasadaLa vilOcana parama pAvana sAmajavarada madurai vaLar

Oh Lord with eyes (vilOCana) like the petals (daLa) of a lotus (sArasa)! You are the holiest of the holies (parama pAvana)! You are the one who granted a boon (varada) to gejEndra, the king of elephants (sAmaja). Oh resident (vaLar) of madurai!

3: taruNamidu ninaindu ninainduLLam varundinEn
karuNai nidhiyE manadu kanindaruL viraindaruL

Oh repository (nidhiyE) of compassion (karuNai)! Won't you make haste (viraindu) and bless me (aruL)? As I torture (varundinEn) my heart (uLLam) by always thinking (ninaindu ninaindu) of my unrequited love for you, I think it (idu) is the high time (taruNam) for your heart (manadu) to melt, and become filled with love (kanindu) towards me, and shower me with your grace (aruL).

4: pArAi punnakaiyoDennarugil vArAi nI manam irangi enai parivuDanE
enaduyirudan onrena anru kalandAi enai inru marandAi

I ask you (nI) to take pity (manam irangi) on me and come (vArAi) to my (enadu) side (arugil) with (ODu) a smile (punnagai) and look (pArAi) at me (enai) with (uDanE) with love (parivu)! How could you have conveniently forgotten (marandAi) me (enai) today (inru) - when in a previous birth/on a previous occasion (anru) you united (kalandAi) so completely with (uDan) my (enadu) life (uyir), that we became like two bodies with but one life/heart (onrena)?

pani nilAvil tavazh iniya tenralilum enadu mEniyazhal mezhugu pOl uruga
pagalirA tuyilurA iru vizhigaLum pArAmukhamum tagumO manamum shilaiyO

As I am held helpless in this passion for you, my Lord, is it appropriate (tagumO) for you to continue to remain indifferent (pArAmukham)? My two (iru) eyes (vizhigaLum) are suffering from this never-ending (pagalirA = day/pagal and night/irA) sleeplessness (tuyilurA), and my skin (mEni) is so inflamed (azhal), that even the touch of the sweet/gentle (iniya) breeze (tenralilum) that flows (tavazh) in this cool, (pani)[2] moonlit (nilAvil) night makes it melt (uraga), as if it were (pOl) candle-wax (mezhugu). Is your heart (manam) made of stone (SilaiyO) that you can remain unmoved in the face of such distress?

gOpAl = one who controls/takes care of (pAl) the cows (gO). Alternately, one who controls/takes care of (pAl) our senses (gO).

[2] pani I think means dew - so the allusion here is that even in a night where the temperatures are below the dew-point, the nAyikAs senses are inflamed and HOT!

meena

Post by meena »

krishnaa

I think its ur turn to share with us some of ur dance vidoes :D

prashant

Post by prashant »

rshankar wrote:As far as the musicality of the piece goes, Arun maybe able to help you there - he is in love with this pada varNam!
Make that two of us :)

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ravi,
While your explanation for pani is descriptive, pani is also cool--cool moon.

krishnaa

Post by krishnaa »

Thanks alot Ravi!
whenever asked for, you are always ready with translations. :) thanks alot

This pada varnam is definitely tinted with some dAsya bhAva, am i right? this is especially seen in the first and second caranam.

madurai vAlar - i just wanted to ask, how to pronounce mathura in tamil.... ? in a few tamil audios that i have heard, mathura is also sung as vaDamadurai... i am asking this because of the words rAdhai maNAvALa, it probably refers to the Lord who resides in mathurA... amd secondly, muraLigAna, these two manes sort of lend me to think that the composer refers to the Lord who resides in mathurA... and then, in the 108 divya desams, the consort of the Lord in mathurA is satyabhAma... thats also another reason.
i am not sure, suggestions welcome.

krishnaa

Post by krishnaa »

Meena ji,
i study these varnams and other kritis because i naturally like them. i do have a passion to dance them too, but .... that depends on my guru..... :)
as soon as i get the oppurtunity, ill surely share something with you all. after all, all you rasikas are great help for me whenever i need it. you all are an essential part of my dancing course... :)

i really like looking at the different bhAvas of composers, and studying the different descriptive words used by them just to describe (usually) one deity. its great, i'm a north indian so i study the kritis of north indian composers as well. i also like to compare them (in a positive manner)

arunk

Post by arunk »

At the risk of saying it (yet) again, yes this is one of PS' best!

mathura in tamil - If the word is mathura (as opposed to madurai or vaDa-madurai), I would think the fair pronounciation is one that is faithful to Sanskrit, particularly if it happens in a sanskrit phrase (even within a tamil song). In many PS' songs, like this one, there is liberal use of sanskrit phrases.

However vaDa-madurai is a tamil equivalent for it (not a tamilized morph) - i.e. "northern madurai". It must be pronounced as vaDa-madurai and not vaDa-mathura. Similarly madurai of course should be pronounced only as such, and not maturai/mathurai (or changed to matura which is not the same as madurai)

Although one needs to understand why a tamil person may morph mathura to madura, which is not as blatant a violation within a tamil song, as within a non-tamil song :) . The word mathura does not conform to natural tamil pronounciation rules, and the tamil script offers zero help. But In this case, mathura is a well known place, and so one can expect people to pronounce it as such. Even so, some people (average folks) may morph due to the strong influence of their native tongue to either as madura or matura (i.e. not with "th"). In other cases, many people don't really know the Sanskrit words to "know better".

Ok, I guess I repeated myself on two subjects there ;)
Last edited by arunk on 27 Feb 2008, 23:30, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

prashant wrote:
rshankar wrote:As far as the musicality of the piece goes, Arun maybe able to help you there - he is in love with this pada varNam!
Make that two of us :)
So, Prashant, I guess we have to wait for you to share your appreciation musically (to improperly quote Bharatidasan, 'pADi kATTa mATTAyA?')!
:P

BTW, is there an online rendition of this varNam?

Ravi
Last edited by rshankar on 27 Feb 2008, 20:54, edited 1 time in total.

krishnaa

Post by krishnaa »

Arun, so we settle in proper madurai.... then this varnam is in praise of kUDal aDagar, right?

Ravi, i do not know about an online rendition. It has been sung very beautifully in - anada natana prakasha - a release of sangeetha ive cassettes

one more question,
how does sAmaja mean king of elepahnts?

thnx in adv
Last edited by krishnaa on 27 Feb 2008, 23:24, edited 1 time in total.

arunk

Post by arunk »

krishnaa wrote:Arun, so we settle in proper madurai.... then this varnam is in praise of kUDal aDagar, right?
ravi would be the expert on that.

I guess it can be kUDal azhagar or azhagar koil.

Arun

arunk

Post by arunk »

krishnaa,

sAmaja means elephant and given the context it means Gajendra, King of elephants. I think that is what Ravi meant when he wrote.

Arun

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

arunk wrote:krishnaa,

sAmaja means elephant and given the context it means Gajendra, King of elephants. I think that is what Ravi meant when he wrote.

Arun
Yes..Arun, that was what I meant!

arunk wrote:
krishnaa wrote:Arun, so we settle in proper madurai.... then this varnam is in praise of kUDal aDagar, right?
ravi would be the expert on that.

I guess it can be kUDal azhagar or azhagar koil.

Arun
I guess you meant kUDal azhagar of azhagar kOil....:)

Just on the outskirts of Madurai, at the base of some hills, is another azhagar kOil - the kaLLar azhagar kOil (I was always told that He was the Lord of the thieves - kaLLar - who lived in the hills, and hence the name!:P).

IIRC, this hill is rather unique, in that the kaLLar azhagar temple is at the base, the temple of pazham udir SOlai half-way up the hill, and on the top of the hill, near the point of origin of a stream called nUpura gangA is the only temple I know of, that is dedicated solely to Lord balarAma and rENukA dEvI.
Last edited by rshankar on 28 Feb 2008, 06:31, edited 1 time in total.

prashant

Post by prashant »

nI inda mAyam by Sangita Kalanidhi Sri DKJ - http://download.yousendit.com/F7B629501B0F55B5

Ravi - this is where I learnt it from, so there is no need for me to sing it. shri gurubhyO namaha :-)

arunk

Post by arunk »

rshankar wrote:
arunk wrote:I guess it can be kUDal azhagar or azhagar koil.

Arun
I guess you meant kUDal azhagar of azhagar kOil....:)
:D I am glad I mentioned you are the expert. You have provided me a way out!

But actually my post was based on (googled) information from: http://www.ishs-papaya2008.com/Madurai.html. It seems to imply that kUDal azhagar temple is different from what is known as "azhagar koil" (although this one is also kUDal azhagar koil), the former being in madurai, and the latter what you refer as kaLLar azhagar (??)

Some other related links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koodal_Azhagar_Temple
http://www.madurai.com/azhagar.htm
Last edited by arunk on 28 Feb 2008, 07:32, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

kUDalazhagar temple is in the very city of Madurai. Azhagar KOil is tirumAlirunSOlai Also a subramaNy sthalA outside Madurai (now, may be greater Madurai!).
kaLLazhagar ATRil iRanguvadu is an once a year celebration when he takes to the river vaigai.
kUDal: another name for Madurai. kUDAl also meaning the coming together of rivers, streets etc, I guess. Example: mukkUDal

krishnaa

Post by krishnaa »

Thanks everyone! i understand everything now :)
thanks for all the extra info and other links...

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

These extra notes here would also help me understand some of the bits I didn't understand lyrically, once I catch up. Thanks again!!
arunk wrote:At the risk of saying it (yet) again, yes this is one of PS' best!
;)
Definitely :D Ever since I first heard this varnam as a child, I've totally been raptured by it, and since then, have managed to learn it. It is a true delight in Dhanyasi. :)
Last edited by Vocalist on 29 Feb 2008, 10:24, edited 1 time in total.

arunk

Post by arunk »

prashant wrote:nI inda mAyam by Sangita Kalanidhi Sri DKJ - http://download.yousendit.com/F7B629501B0F55B5

Ravi - this is where I learnt it from, so there is no need for me to sing it. shri gurubhyO namaha :-)
Thanks Prashant!

PS: I actually listen to this varnam many weekends at home - a recording by a dance guru of repute (so sharing would mean serious trouble at home ;) )

nrityavidya

Re: lyrics nee inda mayam

Post by nrityavidya »

Would i be able to get the notations (Swaram and Sahityam) fro Nee inda mayam Varnam?

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

I have sent them.

sands98

Post by sands98 »

Happy day,
Can i get the music notations for nee indha mayam varnam.

Regards
Sandhya sankar

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Please check your mailbox.

DeepaBharath

Post by DeepaBharath »

Hi Lakshman Sir, Can you share the notations for Nee indha Mayam Varnam please to deepa.bharat@gmail.com

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Sent.

Nalini

Post by Nalini »

hi!
I have a question to you : you have sent lyrics as "parivu-udane enadu yir udan onrena", and I had written the same but "undanai" at the end, and as for me, the meaning of this word was " to you" : I was united to you ( undanai kalenden).
Could you tell me more about "onrena"? Is it a different writting or a different word? Because you explain a very beautifull meaning (2 bodies in one heart) and I asked me what are all the meanings of this word?
Thanks!
G. Nalini (from France)

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Please check your email.