Sollavallayo kiliye lyrics

Place to go if you want to ask someone identify raga, tala, composer etc or ask for sāhitya (lyrics) or notations or translations.
vgvindan

Post by vgvindan »

I think we are attaching too much importance for the word 'vallAyO'. The word simply is an entreaty. Many a times, poets insert such words as fillers and use such words which are not to be taken too seriously - I think arasi would vouch for this. We can tear up this word (vallAyO) and yet might not come to a definite meaning. It has to been seem in the light of the context, that's all.
In colloquial language this would be worded as 'ni sollouviyA?'
My 2paise worth.
Last edited by vgvindan on 20 Apr 2008, 13:20, edited 1 time in total.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Thanks Arasi for the explanation with the context. I understand.

I tried it on a few people today, and they all got to the neighborhood of the meaning straightaway if not the subtle shades of it, though they can not recall encountering this word before.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Rasikapriya,

Are you planning a thematic presentation of 'messengers of love' - the birds (parrots, swan, dove etc.), clouds (mEgh), a friend (sakhi) etc?

Sounds like a neat idea....

Ravi

rasikapriya21

Post by rasikapriya21 »

arasi

it turns out that Chitra Vishweswaran has choreographed a piece based on bharati’s Panjali Sabadam Apparently this dance drama is one of her most significant productions. Unfortunately the piece has not been recorded/released yet, but if I find anything I will let you know.

ravi

actually I was thinking about creating a piece where the sakhi would “find her own voiceâ€

Rajani

Post by Rajani »

Kalakshetra too has produced the Pancali sabadam as a dance drama. In mid-nineties , I think

R-priya : Have you considered the Gita-govindam? The sakhi has a substantial role in it and many songs in it are her speech. The sakhi is considered the equivalent of the Guru, in that she unites Radha and Krishna, just as the Guru unites the soul with God. Can'y say this of clouds and birds , I guess.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Of course, in the bhAgavatam, it is not a sakhI, but a wandering priest who carries rukmiNi's message/love letter to krishNa!

The gIt gOvind has compositions where a love-lorn krishNa suffers the pangs of separation from rAdhA. So, are there any compositions where the nAyaka sends a messenger? There are songs where he comes to meet the nAyikA himself (in Sonnadai SeidiDa sAhasamA, the nAyikA exclaims about krishNa's audacity in overcoming the gaurds and entering the kanni mADam).

Member_First

Post by Member_First »

There is also a song in praise of Lord NatarAjar - nalla sagunam nOkki chellaDi, a nAyaki bhAvam, in Shanmukhapriya Raag. More of telling to a thozhi (female friend).

rasikapriya21

Post by rasikapriya21 »

Rajani,
thank you, I didn't know about the kalakshetra production: I will see if I can find some footage
Thank you for bringing the gitagovid to our attention. I had tought of that, but
I was hoping to find a sakhi acting in a more ordinary/mundane context

Ravi/ member first
I wasn't aware of cases where the nAyaka talks to a friend to approach the heroine:
somehow I had assumed that for a male hero it would have not been necessary to involve third parties ... Very interesting

thank you

rshankar

Re: Sollavallayo kiliye lyrics

Post by rshankar »

Smt. Sudharani Raghupathy's choreography of SollavallAyO...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5JYRtIlaxg