Request for meaning.

Place to go if you want to ask someone identify raga, tala, composer etc or ask for sāhitya (lyrics) or notations or translations.
Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Please provide the meaning for this popular rAgamAlikA. Thanks.

ArabhimAnam. rAgamAlikA. Adi tALA. Composer: Tanangampadi Panchanada Iyer

P: ArabhimAnam vaittAdarippAr ennai AnandabhairavI
A: pAril unnai allAl parama kalyANI yAriDattinil sholvEn hamsadhvani
C1: santatamum nAn sArangapANi dEviyin caraNamE gatiyenru sAmajagAmini
cintanai sheyya jaganmOhana rUpiNi cittamiranginAlenna shrI lalitAmbA
2: tApangaL tIrumE un darbAr mahimai sholla taramA ennAlammA parama pAvani bhairavi
kAppATra vENumennai karuNApuri tanaya nI kaDaikkaNNAl pArammA kamalamanOhari

hianusree

Post by hianusree »

pls see the next message
Last edited by hianusree on 14 Aug 2008, 21:49, edited 1 time in total.

hianusree

Post by hianusree »

"Arabhimaanam"

This one of the beautiful compositions in which the names of the ragas are closely spun
with the lyrics of the song. I am giving the meaning of the song to the extent that I have
understood. This song is composed by “Tarangampadi pancchanathaIyer". This is a
song that has chittaswaras too after every 4th raga in the viloma krama(reverse order) of the ragas, of that particular quarterette. There are 12 ragas in total.

The ragas are:
1. Arabhi
2. Ananda bhairavi
3. Kalyani
4.Hamsadwani (viloma swaras in the ragaas 4-1 and pallavi line)
5. sAranga
6. sAma
7. mohanam
8. Laitha ( viloma swaras in the ragaas 8-5 and pallavi line)
9.darbAr
10.bhairavi
11.poorvikalyani(hence theword karunA "puri")
12. kamalAmanohari(viloma swaras in the raagas 12- 9 and pallavi line)

meaning:
pallavi:
Its actually "yaar abhimanam" that is given as aarabhimaanam for the sake of combining the ragaa "ARABHI". so, the meaning is :Ananda bhairavi!( calling the name of the goddess, Devi, AmbaL), who will show affection on me and protect me?

Anupallavi:
"whom will I tell to , about my grivences other than you, Kalyani!, who has a voice of the
swan( hamsadwani), Sivakama sundari.

caranam 1: I always adore the Devi who has Sarnagam in her hands who sings sama
veda(not sure of the meaning)please why dont you show mercy on me, Sri
lalitha, when i always think of you , the one who has a beautiful feature(mohana roopa).

caranam 2: When i speak,praise about your court(darbar), my worries will go off, am I
qualified to speak about the same ,paramavani, Bhairavi! please save me , show
mercy on me and glimpse with your graceful eyes Oh! kamala manohari.

I have just attempted to interpret the song to

my knowledge and ready to know if there is

abetter translation/ meaning for the song

Regards,
hianusree

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Thanks very much.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Lji,

In this composition, the rAgamudrAs have been intelligently woven in, but they are also pregnant with meaning.....

Also, in C2, the bolded sAhitya is what I hear...differs a bit from what you posted.

P: ArabhimAnam vaittAdarippAr ennai AnandabhairavI

Who (Ar) will treat me (ennai) with (vaittu) regard and kindness (AdarippAr), and nourished my self-respect (abhimAnam), if not for you, the veritable embodiment of happiness (Ananda), Oh consort of bhairava/Siva (bhairavI)!

Alternately: Oh consort of bhairava/Siva (bhairavI)! The veritable embodiment of happiness (Ananda)! Who else but you would have treated me (ennai) with (vaittu) such wholesome/complete (Ar) regard and kindness (AdarippAr) and nourished my self-respect (abhimAnam)?

A: pAril unnai allAl parama kalyANI yAriDattinil sholvEn hamsadhvani

Oh lady whose voice (dhvani) is like that of a swan’s (hamsa)! If not (allAl) for you (unai), Oh supremely (parama) auspicious one (kalyANI), with whom else (yAriDattil) in this world (pAril) will I be able to share my grievances (SolvEn)?

C1:
santatamum nAn sArangapANi dEviyin caraNamE gatiyenru sAmajagAmini
cintanai sheyya jaganmOhana rUpiNi cittamiranginAlenna shrI lalitAmbA

Oh mother (ambA) SrI lalitA! What if you show me some mercy (iraginAlenna) in your heart/mind (cittam), especially since I (nAn) have always (santatamum) considered the feet (caraNam) of the consort (dEvIyin) of the Lord who holds a deer (sAranga) in his hand (pANi) as (enru) my refuge (gati)! Oh lady with a majestic gait (gAmini) of an elephant (sAmaja), and a form (rUpiNI) so beautiful that the whole world (jagat) is ensnared (mOhana) to meditate (cintai Seyya) upon!

2:
tApangaL tIrumE un darbAr mahimai sholla taramA ennAlammA parama pAvani bhairavi
kAppATra vENumennai karuNAi purindennai nI kaDaikkaNNAl pArammA kamalamanOhari

Do I look like I (ennAl) have the ability (taramA), Oh divine mother (ammA) to speak of/describe (Solla) the grandeur (mahimai) of your (un) court (darbAr), where, I have heard that one’s distresses (tApangaL) are relieved (tIrumE)? Oh highly (parama) sacred (pAvana) consort of bhairava (bhairavI)! You have to (vENDum) protect (kApATra) me (ennai). Oh delighter (manOharI) of mahAlakSmI (kamala)! I beseech you (nI) to glance (pAr) at me (ennai) from the corner of your eyes (kaDaikaNNAl) and shower (purindu) your compassion (karuNai) on me, Oh divine mother (ammA).
Last edited by rshankar on 15 Aug 2008, 02:49, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

OOPS!

Hianusree,

I did not refresh the page for ages when I was translating this on and off, and so, I submitted my post without realizing you had already provided the meaning. I apologize!

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Thanks rshankar.

hianusree

Post by hianusree »

I think that shri shankar has better interpreted the song. but i have a small doubt, elephant's gait is taken for masculine is it not, will it be suitable to describe the quality of a goddess.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Actually, the comparison used depends on the aspect of the gait that is to be highlighted. You are correct that for the most part, when calling attention to the grace inherent in a lady's gait, the comparator is the swan (hamsa gati, or marALa gAmini), and the elephant is evoked to describe a masculine gait. But here, to emphasize, not the grace, but the majesty of the dEvI's gait (who can go from the epitome of grace to the most valiant among the valorous), the composer uses the simile of an elephant.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Exactly. gambIra naDai (majesty) is what is aimed at here, I think...

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

Devi is addressed as 'kunjara gamane' in the kamala manohari krithi,kanchadalayadakshi
Last edited by PUNARVASU on 16 Aug 2008, 09:07, edited 1 time in total.

hianusree

Post by hianusree »

ok thank you so much for the clarification. Can you tell me where can I listen or downlod the song " enakku un irupadam" sung by M.S from Arunachala kavirayar's "RamanAtakam"

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

It is available for listening here:
www.musicindiaonline.com/p/x/4JQ2s.6GjS.As1NMvHdW/

hianusree

Post by hianusree »

Thank you so much. That was great to hear the song.

Regards,
hianusree

narayara000

Re: Request for meaning.

Post by narayara000 »

C2 is karuNA pUrita nayana, not karunApuri tanaya

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Thanks for the correction.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

narayara000 wrote: 27 Jul 2017, 21:52 C2 is karuNA pUrita nayana, not karunApuri tanaya
I think it is karuNai purindennai
karuNA pUrita nayana is not aligned with the language of the rest of the lyrics (clearly tamizh).

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

I looked in the book Isai malar Kottu by TM Thiagarajan and the words are karuNApuri tanaya. The lyrics are also posted here:
http://carnatica.net/special/ragamalika-devi-ppn-vi.htm