Dwaram Venkataswamy Naidu

Carnatic Musicians
Enna_Solven

Post by Enna_Solven »

I could not find any previous thread on this maestro in the Vidwans forum, so I am starting this one.

There are many musicians that make me wish I had been born earlier to have heard them in person, MMI being the foremost. DVN is one of the others. I got hooked after listening to DVN's Paraloka Bhayamu-Mandhari from Sangeethapriya. I could not get more than a couple of his CD's during my Chennai visit. His style is distinctive and crisp.

Are there other memorable recordings of this great artist?

rajanp

Post by rajanp »

Aum

I am Rajan Padiachi from South Africa
i ahd the unique fortune of a studying violin and vocal as well from
Kumari Dwaram Mangathayaru daughter of Dr Daram and his chief disciple
,there are a few AIR recordings and commercial recordings available
He is very very great, he was blind but had one of the biggest music book collections
that his disciples use to read for him and he memorised all very well and could quote from all his books , and tell his disciples which books had which artilces of interest.
i was with Kum Dwaram Mangathayaru in Dec 08 , when i visited Chennai
i also have rare unpublished photos of Dr Dwaram.

AUM

Rajan Padiachi

appu

Post by appu »

Rajan, About 20 years ago, I had a rare opportunity of witnessing Sri Nedunuri Krishnamurthy with Dwaram Durga Prasad Rao on the violin and Palghat R. Raghu on the mridangam during their visit to Bombay. I am guessing that Dwaram Durga Prasad is a lineage of DVN.

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Enna_Solven, have you heard Dwaram's concert on Sangeethapriya with elaborate janani ninnuvina, intha sowkhya, etc? Yes, it is such a pity so little of his music is available. He had such melodious bowing and such a fertile imagination. Listen to his kApi swaras in the a/m concert!

rajanp

Post by rajanp »

Aum

Yes Dwaram Durgaprasad is the son of Dr Dwaram he resided in Andra
i met him in 1983, very learned scholar,he is dead now from i know.
I lived with Dr Dwaram family in Chennai for a long time as a live in disciple
i met Dr Dwarams wife , a humble divine soul.
I also met Dr Dwarams closest and oldest disciple, but he never played violin, since he felt he could play anywhere as close as Dr Dwaram so he gave it up and served on him as a disciple who looked after him until he died.

There is a few recordings of Dr Dwaram in Sangeethamshare,
There are also commercial releases available, and a LP was cut many years ago.

There are recordings kept safe with the Dwaram Family for posterity.

His Raguvamsa n kadanakuduhalam is a memorable item.

Dwaram Ma told Once in 1958 AIr ew Delhi he played live on air,since he was blind he had no idea of time, the engineer signaled Dwaram Ma that only three minutes left after that item,
Dwaram Garu played a RTP 1 minute Ragam , 1 minute Thanam and 1 minute pallavi with great revernance and beauty i heard it was.

I could go on telling you stories about Dwaram Garu forever

Aum

Rajan

cacm

Post by cacm »

I used to visit him just before he left for his concerts in Chennai at his house in the Ice House area(triplicane pretty much); He was VERY meticulous in practising before he left anything Special he wanted to present- like LGJ also-; In my humble opinion this devotion & attempt at perfection CHARACTERISED these GREAT IMMORTALS. MALI too he gave the impression of being carefree but was VERY disciplined whan it came to his music......What a great time it was......VKV

Enna_Solven

Post by Enna_Solven »

bilahari wrote:Enna_Solven, have you heard Dwaram's concert on Sangeethapriya
Thanks Bilahari,

I will visit Sangeethapriya. I do not think I have heard this concert.

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Tell me if you can't find it - I will upload it.

shanks

Post by shanks »

I would say that DVN was actually the person who brought Violin as a solo instrument to the fore contrary to other claims. He was a permanent fixture in Music Academy all thru the 50's and 60's to his death (can be seen on the academy site). As his daughter Mangatayaru has mentioned many times, he also brought out the view that the techniques unique to the violin should be presented in violin concerts and not strictly adhere to vocal version only - that is quite evident from his concerts.
There are quite a few recordings of his in circulation. There is also a very good video of "Great Masters" from Doordarshan.
One of the memorable pieces that i have heard is an RTP in Vardhini accompanied by Mangatayaru. Here is a link to the track that i have uploaded.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/auoa55

Shankar

Enna_Solven

Post by Enna_Solven »

Bilahari,

Is this the concert? Thee is no kApi in it.

Dwaram Venkataswany Naidu
1.Viriboni-Bhairavi
2.Vathapi-Hamsadhwani
3.Sree Rama Padama-Amrithavarshini
4.Palukavemi-Poornachandrika
5.Janani Ninnuvina-Reethigowla
6.Theliyaleru-Dhenuka
7.Sarasasamadana-Kapinarayani
8.Mokshamu-Saramathi

thanks.

Enna_Solven

Post by Enna_Solven »

Bilahari,

I found the concert, I think but Sangeethapriya makes me the run around by pointing one directory to another and finally to outer space. If you can please upload.

184-Dwaram-Venkataswamy-Naidu-Shanmukhananda-Bombay

thanks

Shivadasan

Post by Shivadasan »

Yesterday's concert by Dwaram Durga Prasad Rao in TTD's Bhakthi Channel was a good reminder of Dwaram Style.

laks1972

Post by laks1972 »

Enna_Solven wrote:Bilahari,

I found the concert, I think but Sangeethapriya makes me the run around by pointing one directory to another and finally to outer space. If you can please upload.

184-Dwaram-Venkataswamy-Naidu-Shanmukhananda-Bombay

thanks
It is right here:
http://www.sangeethapriya.org/Downloads/dvn/bombay/

laks1972

Post by laks1972 »

There is another AIR concert of Dwaram that is available, the announcement about this is available at:

http://launch.dir.groups.yahoo.com/grou ... sage/30770

Enna_Solven

Post by Enna_Solven »

laks1972 wrote:
It is right here:
http://www.sangeethapriya.org/Downloads/dvn/bombay/
Thank you! I just downloaded it.