Performing artistes from Karnataka who deserve wider recogni

Carnatic Musicians
Sreeni Rajarao

Performing artistes from Karnataka who deserve wider recogni

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

In the other thread titled Brilliant musicians who could not climb further up the ladder (under Vidwans and Vidushis section), in post # 38, Sri. V K V wrote:

“Instead of stating just OBVIOUS FACTS I request Sreeni Rajarao to start a SEPARATE section to discuss the various PROMISING ARTISTS today from ANDHRA, KARNATAKA & KERALA who show promise & should be ENCOURAGED. I can assure EVERYONE the organising committee of CLEVELAND FESTIVAL is most interested in presenting artists from ENTIRE SOUTH INDIA . I would do it right away & am not doing it because I AM IGNORANT IN THIS AREA & I LIVE IN USA. VKV”

I have initiated this thread in response to that request to discuss Karnataka based artistes.
I hope others will initiate similar discussions for Andhra and Kerala based artistes, as requested by Sri. VKV.

Eventhough Sri. VKV’s request asked for discussing Promising artistes, I have listed below many artistes who have been performing for the past two or three decades, and have still remained relatively unrecognized. This is the reason, I have left out names like Mysore Nagaraj and Mysore Manjunath in this list, as they are quite well recognized.

I must clarify that this list is not comprehensive by any means. I have made an attempt to list many of the artistes whose music I have listened to and enjoyed. At the same time, there are many more talented artistes whose music I have not had a chance to listen to yet, as I have I have been away from Bangalore for twenty years.

I also realize that many of these names listed below are dedicated Gurus who have been training many talented youngsters about who I am not much informed.

I also realize that my list is heavily Bangalore-centric as that is what I am somewhat familiar with. I am sure there are many other talented performers from Mysore, dakshiNa kannaDa and other areas.

I hope other Rasikas will participate in this discussion and bring to light the names of other artistes who deserve wider recognition.

Vocal:
M S Sheela
Nagamani Srinath
Nagavalli Nagaraj (and daughter Ranjani?)
Sukanya Prabhakar
T S Satyavathi
Neela Ramagopal
Saralaya Sisters
Kasaravalli Sisters
M S Vidya
R A Ramamani

Bangalore S Shankar
R K Padmanabha
Shrikantham Nagendra Shastri
Bangalore Brothers
Dr. K Vageesh

Violin:
Charulata Ramanujam
Nalina Mohan
C N ChandraShekar
M S Govinda Swamy
H K Venkataram
B Raghuram
Yashasvi
H K Narasimha Murthy

Veena:
R Visveshwaran
Rajalakshmi Tirunarayan
E P Alamelu
D Balakrishna
Suma Sudhindra
Geeta Ramanand
Pushpa Kashinath
Veena Kinhal (San Diego based)

Flute:
Father and son duo of B K Anantha Ram and Amith Nadig

mRdanga:
A V Anand
Anoor Anantha Krishna Sharma
H S Sudhindra
V Praveen
V Krishna
Renuka Prasad
M Gururaj
N Vasudeva
B K Chandra Mouli
Vasudeva Rao
B R Srinivas
N G Ravi
T A S Mani
V S Rajagopal

Ghata:
Narayana Murthy
M A Krishna Murthy

Some of these artistes from the younger generation have been discussed on this Forum also :
G Ravikiran
Pattabhirama Pandit
Vinay Sharva

Manasi Prasad

Specifically addressing the Cleveland festival, some of these have performed in Cleveland. I believe M S Sheela, Nagamani Srinath, Suma Sudhindra, Veena Kinhal and Manasi Prasad would belong to that list.

Once again, I would like to reiterate that this list does not include many many more names, and I ask for other rasikas to add to this list.

Again, my intention is to mainly address Sri. VKV’s request so that I do not look like I am just stating obvious facts.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Sreeni
This is indeed a very great post. Many I have heard thru hearsay but not heard in concerts.
Can I add in the young brigade list sumitra nitin and ranjani guruprasad (known previously as ranjani hebbar).
Also rudrapatnam brothers in the senior male list.

I suggest you can reedit and add the names that are coming up in subsequent posts inclusive of this if deemed fit and if the info is correct.

cacm

Post by cacm »

Dear Sri. Sreeni Rajarao,
Thanks for the list. I promise you I will investigate each one of the names you have mentioned here. As you have pointed out some of them have already been to Cleveland. Generally as the Cleveland Aradhana Festival is TOTALLY VOLUNTEER DRIVEN the organisers themselves DO NOT CLAIM to have the expertise & we follow the recommendations of SENIOR VIDWANS; However we can refer musicians brought to our attention. Because of what can only be called "Nature of the Beast" performing & being known in Chennai appears to be CRUCIAL. Chennai appears to be the "800 pound gorilla"....Actually as you know Sheikh Chinna Moulana was already famous & in top group when he chose to migraste to Tamil Nadu; When asked he said Madras is where the action is if you are serious about carnatic music. This view is questionable but seems to prevail. Nagaraj, Sudinthra & several others are close friends of mine but when it comes to your observations I do not know what the ideal solutions are...VKV
Last edited by cacm on 15 Nov 2009, 03:15, edited 1 time in total.

csnalini

Post by csnalini »

Dear Sir,

Under the flutists section should mention Vidwan S A Shashidhar, of Anantakrishna Sangeeta Vidyalaya,
Bangalore.

regards,

mahesu

Post by mahesu »

Looks like you have also missed out Arjun Kumar, a wonderful mridangist, from your list.

murthyhmg

Post by murthyhmg »

Concert recordings of the following from the above list are available on the net. Could someone try to make recordings of the others available.

MS Sheela
Nagamani Srinath
Saralaya Sisters
Bangalore S Shankar
R K Padmanabha
Pattabhirama Pandit

CRama

Post by CRama »

Another musician from Karnatka who deservese exposure is Bellary M.Raghavendra who is an accomplished singer and teacher. He was in AIR Bangalore and now I do not know where he is working. Similarly, Rudrapatnam Ramakanth, son of RK Srikantan deserves to be promoted for solo concerts. Recently he gave an excellent concert in Krishna Gana Sabha.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

It was a Bangalore artist, Manorama Prasad, who sealed my interest in Carnatic music, some years back. Living in UK for a long time now, she may have been forgotten by many here, but I still think she could occupy the top rank in Chennai.

My violin friend Balu Raguraman put in an appearance for last year's season, but couldn't come again this year. Possibly (I'm not going to fight over this ;)) the top UK-based carnatic violinist.

The percussion brothers Prakash and Pratap have long been well established on the London scene.

Another Bangalore-bred violinist of great ability: Jyotsna Srikant.

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

Thanks to all who are adding to this list. Yes, I have missed some more artistes I have listened to and enjoyed. R N Srilatha is one such, alongwith the Rudrapatna brothers. I am sure there are many more artistes that need to be on this list and I request other rasikas to write about them.

Nick, you might have read my earlier post on the Forum writing about Manorama who I have known since childhood. We were neighbors in Bangalore. It was nice to see her name here again.

cacm

Post by cacm »

Dear Sreeni Rajarao,
THANKS to your initiative I am noting down the names but soon I have to travel to Chennai & wont have access. Can I request you to note down ALL the names & email them to me at: vkv43034@yahoo.com THANKS, VKV

anote

Post by anote »

While I agree with Sreeni Rajarao that artists from Karnataka, Kerala and Andhra Pradesh need to be encouraged, most of them mentioned are not great performers fit for National / International level of performances.

I would at best choose the following :

Among the current generation, I would choose Pattabhiram Pandit for Vocal - has great vidwat and good music too. Has a fine touch too but for some unwanted mannerisms. He has great potential.

Others who are good and have the potential are :

H K Venkataram
Charulata Ramanujam
B Raghuram

Among the artists from the older generation, who are good, but haven't been lucky enough to make it are
M S Sheela, Nagamani Srinath, Anand AV, R.K. Padamanabha, Ananthakrishna Sharma. They have unfortunately been proactive or utilized their given opportunities.

Rest of them may or may not have talent and have not tested their talent or skills in competent environment.

cacm

Post by cacm »

anote wrote:While I agree with Sreeni Rajarao that artists from Karnataka, Kerala and Andhra Pradesh need to be encouraged, most of them mentioned are not great performers fit for National / International level of performances.
I would at best choose the following :
Among the current generation, I would choose Pattabhiram Pandit for Vocal - has great vidwat and good music too. Has a fine touch too but for some unwanted mannerisms. He has great potential. .....I do not want to comment further for obvious reasons.......He is on the radar & would make it to Cleveland soon I think.

Others who are good and have the potential are :
H K Venkataram have not hesard him myself
Charulata Ramanujam I agree
B Raghuram......Has already been to Cleveland twice. Actually I had pushed for him ages ago & he went on European tour wioth U.Srinivas

Among the artists from the older generation, who are good, but haven't been lucky enough to make it are
M S Sheela, Nagamani Srinath, Anand AV, R.K. Padamanabha, Ananthakrishna Sharma. They have unfortunately been proactive or utilized their given opportunities.....The first two have been to Cleveland more than once. R.K.Padmanabha desrves to come but as you know LOTS of BALANCING ACTS ARE DONE & sometimes luck of the draw is involved....Not heard A.V.Anand

Rest of them may or may not have talent and have not tested their talent or skills in competent environment.
MY COMMENTS are embedded above! I can only talk about Cleveland & there too I am ONE of SEVERAL who are involved etc..... I am surprised that Kannada Kootas which are VERY PROSPEROUS + LOTS OF K SILICON VALLEY MILLIONAIRES are not pulling their weight.
Believe me Cleveland Aradhana under V.V.Sundaram's leadership TRIES VERY HARD FOR BALANCE. For example Mysore Ramaratnam was given his due in CLEVELAND . SAME is true of R.K.Srikantan (as well as Parasala Ponnammal from kerala)which I feel even Karnataka has failed to do.....A Tamilian's view may be! VKV
THERE IS A HUGE EFFORT TO CHOOSE OVER ALL OF SOUTH+ PLACES LIKE MUMBAI...
Last edited by cacm on 21 Nov 2009, 09:45, edited 1 time in total.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Sreeni Rajarao wrote:Nick, you might have read my earlier post on the Forum writing about Manorama who I have known since childhood. We were neighbors in Bangalore. It was nice to see her name here again.
A quick search reminded me. I see you mention Bhavani Shankar too; is he a Bangalorean?

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

Nick,
Yes, Bhavani Shankar and I were classmates in pre-university at National College in Bangalore.

VKV sir,
I will be in touch with you by email with the information you have asked for.

About anote's comments (post #11) on the competency of the artistes :
While the points raised are certainly debatable, I will not get into that - just too tired for debates!
But, with the good intent of bringing to light more artistes who deserve better recognition, I will continue my efforts to do the same, and request fellow rasikas to do the same.

About Sri. VKV's comments on the kannaDa kUtas and efforts (rather, lack of) from the kannaDigas to recognize and show pride in our artistes, I have no argument. I admit that we kannaDigas have not done a good job, historically and even to this day in that aspect.

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Sreeni Raja Rao:It appears you still feel artistes from karnataka are not being given the recognition and you also admit that kannadigas have not done as much as they could. As VKV has pointed out the Cleveland Aradhana festival-despite the tremendous financial odds --is doing an outstanding job wherever talent exists. Moreover unlike many Sabha Secretaries that I have known in my life time MR. VV Sundaram and his cohorts do not play any favorites or kowtow to big artists demand--but the point I raised earlier needs to be reiterated---if the artists with whatever exposure they have gotten so far have not succeeded in getting "traction" in this day and age --with the plethora of cultural orgs in India and abroad,one has to admit that the talent may not measure upto what is floating in the market.

Not all the Sundarams and the VKV's of the world can prop up artists whom WE --supposedly dispasssionate and discriminating Rasikas--have not been impressed with. The CM music Market place is more than fair these days as compared to old days.

let's stop lamenting and do what we can to promote talent that we feel goes "unhonored and unsung" to quote Sir Walter Scott.

Lastly to the Kannadigas who may feel discriminated against,one needs to face some realities:

The Great Mysore Vasudevachar enjoyed unbridled freedom and patronage from Smt. Rukmini Arundale of Kalakshetra and his compositions were made popular earlier by musicians like GNB,MLV,not by Musicians of stature from karnataka(sorry for the blunt statement!!).Ofcourse M.S.Sheela has done her part in popularising some of the rare krithis like the Sree raghu kula in Kadanakudhuhalam,and a piece in navarasakannada etc etc.

The point I am making is that we the Rasikas in this day and age need to shed the inadvertent parochial language-based outlook that 'seeps" thro our psyche and focus on what needs to be done and having done our part in true Gita philosophy accept the outcome of our efforts with grace and equanimity!!

khanjirachavana

Post by khanjirachavana »

Hi people...

I think the khanjira section is being left out here... There are many budding artists and reputed vidwans who are actually performing and need more exposure..

Vid. Vyasa Vittala, Vid N. Amrit, Vid. G. Guruprasanna are some of the senior khanjira artists in karnataka who hail from the "Legendary" Harishankar School.. Vid. A S N Swamy is another khanjira artist..They are extremely fine artists and have vast knowledge in music.. Though they are quite busy, I feel a wider recognition is required and they need to be pushed up the ladder.. These people have the strength, stamina and the will to bring our states name in the limelight...

Also young and promising artists like Bhargava Halambi and Karthik need to be recognised and supported in the right way...