M S Ramaiah

Carnatic Musicians
prithvi.krishna

Post by prithvi.krishna »

Surprised not to see Late Sri M S Ramaiah's (MSR) name in the list. He was one of the very few Mridangam artist who made a name during the PMI and PSP era. His concerts with T Chowdiah, Alathur Brothers, MLV, Chembai, Flute Mali, Semmangudi are still talked about. At the age of 16 when he accompanied Semmangudi at Mysore Palace, Mysore Maharaja Jayachamarajendra Wodeyar gave him the "Mysore Mani" title.
He was known for the crisp strokes and the Naada Sowkya. I was fortunate to have learnt under him for a couple of years but sad it was during his last few days.

In one of the functions at bangalore, I have heard Palghat Raghu speak highly about MSR. I have heard that the combo of MSR with Ghatam Manjunath and Khanjira Sheshagiri Das used to pull people to the concert irrespective of the main artist.

I would like to read some anecdotes from any on this forum who have seen/heard him perform.
Last edited by prithvi.krishna on 12 Jan 2010, 16:59, edited 1 time in total.

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

Prithvi Krishna,
Thank you for starting this thread!

I have listened to Sri. M S Ramaiah's accompaniment several times in the 1970s and 80s and I always enjoyed his playing. I do not have any anecdotes but I have good memories of meeting him on many occasions. I may have a photograph - I will look it up and upload it.
Last edited by Sreeni Rajarao on 12 Jan 2010, 18:59, edited 1 time in total.

prithvi.krishna

Thats wonderful!! I would really appreciate if you uploaded his pic. Thanks in advance!! :D

prithvi.krishna

Re: M S Ramaiah

Any updates on the pic? :)

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

Privthvi,
Sorry for not updating you. I have a group picture where Sri. Ramaiah is seen but the picture quality is not that good. I will send it to you by email.

Sreeni Rajarao

prithvi.krishna

Please email it to prithvi_krishna@yahoo.com..... thanks a ton in advance!! :D

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

There is an AIR Bangalore recording of Chembai with A.V.Krishnamachar (Violin), M.S.Ramaiah (Mridangam) and S.Sheshagiri Das (Kanjira) where the kirtanas Balagopala and Kaddanuvariki are rendered.

Similarly there is also an album released by AIR Bangalore of the Alathur Brothers accompanied by T.S.Tatachar (Violin), M.S.Ramaiah (Mridangam) & S. Seshagiri Das (Kanjira).

ghanshyam144

Post by ghanshyam144 »

Namasthe Sir/Madam,

Request you to share the above mentioned recording i.e "Chembai with A.V.Krishnamachar (Violin), M.S.Ramaiah (Mridangam) and S.Sheshagiri Das (Kanjira)". Tried downloading this recording in rapid share however i had some technical difficulties in downloading. Henceforth i am requesting srkris/ any body out there to share this particular recording.Request you to kindly do the needfull.

My email id is shyam.laya144@gmail.com
My mobile # 9620377737

Thanks & Regards,
Ghanshyam

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Found a rare recording, probably from AIR, high quality audio, with Doreswamy iyengar and Ali Akbar Khan. Sri Ramaiah has been listed as on the mridangam.!
https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=itZb-YuxJ0s

CRama

Post by CRama »

I have got an one hour recording of Chembai recording from Bangalore AIR. It has got only two songs- Balagopala and Kaddanuvariki. Is it the concert refd in post 7. I dont know about the accompanists. If anybody is nterested, I can share that.

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

Ghanshyam,
Recently in the last two months, there have been some new uploads on Sangeethapriya.org that have Sri Ramaiah's accompaniment.
I remember noticing this in recent emails from that group, but I do not remember which particular uploads.
You should be able to do a search on that website - Please check them out. These uploads are recent broadcasts on AIR of recordings from the years before.

ghanshyam144

Post by ghanshyam144 »

Thank you Sreeni raja rao Sir.

Thank you for your interest in replying to my post

I have downloaded all of those recordings broadcasted by All India Radio in the last 2 Months.Please kindly do let me know if you have any other recordings other than recordings uploaded in Sangeethapriya.

I am able to hear all these recordings only because of Sangeethapriya.Its a wonderful forum.

I am eagerly waiting for your reply

Thanks & Regards,
Ghanshyam
shyam.laya144@gmail.com

varsha

Post by varsha »

CRama

Post by CRama »

I am giving below the links for the two songs of Chembai recorded from Bangalore AIR which I had mentioned earlier.
CHEMBAI- BALAGOPALA
https://www.sendspace.com/file/py95km
[/url]
CHEMBAI-KADDANUVARIKI
https://www.sendspace.com/file/n4ky1d

CRama

Post by CRama »

--
Last edited by CRama on 07 Oct 2016, 07:08, edited 2 times in total.

CRama

Post by CRama »

ghanshyam144

Post by ghanshyam144 »

I am extremely thank full to you for providing me such a wonderful recording CRama ji.

I request you if anybody else has any other recordings/photographs of my grandfather ( M S Ramaiah) other than what's there on Sangeethapriya.org then please share it with me.

Thank you once again!!.

Thanks & Regards,
Ghanshyam
shyam.laya144@gmail.com