B Ganapathyraman

Carnatic Musicians
rajeshnat

B Ganapathyraman

Post by rajeshnat »

Further when someone asks me for my availability, neither do I enquire about slots nor do I ask who the main performer is. Right or wrong, this has been my policy. My job is to play mridangam when called for. ...

More about it http://www.hindu.com/fr/2010/04/02/stor ... 200200.htm

Just a small note:
------------------
In one of the concerts of rasikas where he teamed up with Prasanna venkataraman and charumathy raguraman ,the sound arrangement was never set right till about half the concert, there were quite a lot of noise there in that hall in nungambakkam. But ganapathyraman just went on with his smile. Certainly I have sensed that he is a very unassuming personality.

mahavishnu

Re: B Ganapathyraman

Post by mahavishnu »

nice thread, Rajesh.
Yes, Ganapathyraman is an excellent mridangist and a gentleman of the first order. Great lineage. His style is an interesting contrast from that of his brother's (B. Sivaraman disciple of TK Murthy).

VISHNURAMPRASAD

Re: B Ganapathyraman

Post by VISHNURAMPRASAD »

Like Father Like Son!
Like Elder brother Like younger brother!

Shri Sethalapathy Balu mama the illustrous father of Ganapathy was a great human being. I have moved closely with the family during my college days. Both Ganapthyraman and his younger brother Sivaraman were prodigies. Both of them made their gurus feel proud of them, be it Kumbakonam Rajappa Iyer or Nagai Soundararajan or T.K.Murthy Iyer. Ganapthy could just play any "Solkattu" in mridangam be it a thunderous Umayalpuram Sivaraman "pharen" or a Palani Subbudu's thoppi sowkyam, or a Palghat Mani Iyer Korvai. Even at a very young age he used to play in a very matured fashion that invoked the praises of several senior vidwans like Shrimushnam Raja Rao or Thiruvarur Bhaktavatsalam. His ability to adapt to any singing style made him a favourite of many singers. He used to be very professional in his approach, ever ready to learn and share his learning with fellow professionals. A great rasika of good music, never fails to appreciate new talents, ever smiling. I had never seen such a talented artiste so humble. It is unfortunate that I could not be in touch with Mama during Mama's last years. I have almost lost touch with the entire family. But I still feel proud of having watched these great human beings growing in their stature as Vidwans of their own merit.