Neela Ramagopal - our dear Forumite

Carnatic Musicians
cmlover

Neela Ramagopal - our dear Forumite

Post by cmlover »

Here is a wonderful article on our dear Forumite with a fine picture...
http://beta.thehindu.com/arts/music/article434231.ece
We may like to know more about her though she herself slinks away from publicity.
She is like a lamp hidden under a bushel, an accomplished classicist who ought o be known to all lovers of CM. Those who know her personally do please narrate your experiences as well as interesting anecdotes.
Perhaps our Arasi can give us a Jump start!

Happy Birthday on reaching a milestone (advance greetings)

Radhika-Rajnarayan

Re: Neela Ramagopal - our dear Forumite

Post by Radhika-Rajnarayan »

If you attend Neela Mami's concert you can be assured of not only listening to authentic pataantharam, but also learn a lot from her , just by listening to the concert, on raga alapana and development, neraval an swara prasthaaram.

arasi

Post by arasi »

CML.
Thanks for posting this! I knew that Neela was going to be honored in Bengaluru for her achievements in music. She has lived a rich life, steeping herself in music and in training others with dedication.
Though I had heard her in concerts before and have loved her music, I had not met her until a few years ago.Wish I had known her earlier. Yet, the regret fades the minute I meet her every time. She is one of a kind--her music is excellent, her spirit and joi de vivre (against odds), amazing. And that twinkle in her eyes!
Music is her life blood. She belongs to a generation of female CM singers who are deeply rooted in tradition. She is highly imaginative too and tackles any rare rAgam or kruti with aplomb.
I hope we get to hear about the celebration from forumites like sappri, braindrain and pattamma. How I wish I were there! I hear that the celebration continues into June, with a special concert in her honor.

Other forumites and fans of Neela Ramgopal,
Now is the time to share some of her music here with her permission. I was listening to shUlini from her mElakartA rAgams CD just this morning, my morning energy pill from vidUshi Lively.

Neela,
Our heartfelt wishes for many more years of living and loving music so that you can energize rasikAs with your singing for many more years to come!

Radhika,
Just saw your post. I should have added your name to the list of fans!
Last edited by arasi on 21 May 2010, 11:01, edited 1 time in total.

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

Advance birthday wishes to vidushi. Even if one reverses the digits in her age, she will be still young! Both at heart, her music and manodharma :D

I haven't got to hear many concerts of her, but when we listen to her live, it brings back memories of hearing DKP & MLV live! Innovative approach to music without compromising on ragha bhavam or patantara, presenting unfamiliar ragas, and compositions are her strengths, apart from effortlessly doing graha bedams, and singing ragamalika RTPs (transitioning from one raga to another - need to be listened to live, can't be described in words). After having heard her alapanas for ragas like Begada, even though she would have sung for 5 minutes or so, one gets a feeling of hearing a very elaborate alapana.She pretty much sings without any vocal support at this age. I have heard few awsome concerts of her, with charulatha ramanujam, arjun kumar and with Mysore Srikanth and Nanjil Arul. Looking forward to hear more of her concerts with accomplished accompanists like R.K.Sriramkumar, patri satish kumar etc.

I pray to god for healthy and long life for vidushi, may her tribes increase. Hope she gets deserving recognition, and atleast few concerts in December 2010.

munirao2001

Post by munirao2001 »

Respected Ganakala Ratna Smt.Neela Ramagopal,
Our greetings and prayers for your continued musical journey for many more years to come.

I read the interview published in The Hindu. It aptly reflected your strong views and advice. Only factor I could not agree with your view is on voice culture. While no doubt quality of music transcends the limitations of the voice in KM, the average/uninitiated rasikas do appreciate the delivery/communication of musical ideas with well trained, cultured and well honed voice. There are umpteen examples with average/above average quality of music, performers enjoy patronage mainly on the strength of their voice. Equally there are examples of performers not enjoying the patronage despite the very high quality of their music, due to bad delivery/communication hampered by the poor voice/voice culture. Unlike practitioners of HM, the practitioners of KM are neglecting this vital aspect in their training, thanks to permissive Gurus and indulgent rasikas. Voice culture should take its right place in the training, with no excuses or escapism to make the KM appeal to larger audiences and for their own strength in excellent communication of musical ideas.
With Pranams

Sandhyavandanam Madhva Muni Rao(munirao2001)

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Nice article , I have heard her only once , hopefully I get to hear her specials. I particularly liked her punch line
"A good concert, according to her, should include a ragam tanam pallavi, and at least three hours are required for this. "

Mods,
Can we merge this thread with the original Smt neelA thread please
http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php? ... ilit=neela

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

That thread is partly damaged. Since the topic is on honouring Neela let us continue here itself...
I do not find any of her concerts at Sangitapriya site. Any reasons?

munirao2001

Post by munirao2001 »

Radhika-Rajnarayanan and Founites of Bangalore
Why not have a facilitation meeting of forunites of Bangalore on this special occassion and pay our respects to Ganakala Ratna Smt.Neela Ramagopal ?
We should also facilitate Vikram Sampath for his book 'My Name is Ghauri Khan'. We can combine both on one day.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Best wishes to the viduSi!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks Mohan!

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

Here is a concert recording of Vidushi Neela Ramgopal, to celebrate her 75th birthday today

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=e629 ... 6a5faff527

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Many thanks pattamaa..
Just d/led and started listening...
Is this the voice of a 75 year old.. If so then I can only say
shatAyur bhavatu |

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

Thanks for uploading a full concert - enjoyed Smt. Neela Ramagopal's music in a concert (until now, I had listened only to a CD of dAsara padas).

arasi

Post by arasi »

Pattamma,
Thanks a ton for the RTP concert of Neela Ramgopal. It's a sample of a typical presentation of the vidUshi, though I've heard her sing more beautifully before. Perhaps because this recording was made from the mrudangam side and though the playing is good, it at times drowns the nuances in her singing. As interesting as a rAgamAlikA RTP can be, in a regular concert of hers, you can hear the many textures in her singing. Every time I hear her music, I get enthusiastic and happy about CM in general, and about this senior in particular. She is a blend of depth and innovation. As you have said, she is a combination of DKP and MLV, and yet with a style of her own. Her magic formula is this: immense talent, her learning music all those years was a labor of love, and add teaching music too, with such enthusiasm. The special ingredient in all this? Her spirited existence. If I hadn't known her at all and had just been a casual listener in a concert, I would still have been excited about her music.

Neela Ramgopal avarE!
Once again, let me wish you many many more musical years! I look forward to our time together in Bengaluru at the end of the year. Enjoy your evening of the musical celebration!
A small coincidence (well, sort of. I waited a bit for the number to come round until I wrote this post). Your 75th and my 7,500th post! Another 2,500, and I will get the 'adigap prasangi' (chatter box) award |( ;)

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

arasi wrote:Pattamma,
Thanks a ton for the RTP concert of Neela Ramgopal.
I couldn't find an RTP item in the uploaded files.
pattamaa - I wasn't able to download the file 13-Dwijavanthi-Tillana.mp3 - please help! thanks.
Also, who are the accompanists?

Great music by the maestro. What a voice, full of azhuttam!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

arasi
Don't worry, you are already the Forum's loveable 'adigaprasangi' :D
Nobody will contest you!

By the by that was a nice mini review of Neela. With your waxing knowledge and experience in CM you should start writing Reviews at the Forum for us all to enjoy!

arasi

Post by arasi »

CML,
Growing love for CM, yes, but knowledge to write reviews like some of our frontline reviewers? No! My only qualification is rasanai and I'm happy with it.
r_t,
I did not hear the dwijAvanti! Reason? I wrote to pattamma and said I had trouble opening the link, so she sent me one through mail which I listened to!

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

What is the difference between rasikas and rasanai? I like the word rasanai

arasi

Post by arasi »

Oops!
r_t,
I clicked on the wrong file in my list and that's why you didn't hear the RTP and I couldn't hear what Pattamma sent me. Apologies to her as well :(

VKR,
You are a rasikA and what you have is rasanai (rasana, rasane)

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Technically arasi is a rasikai and she also has rasanai which is common to all of us who love CM!

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

Here is link to thillana, not sure that is the problem though, i am able to download it.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/yzvtzdt3i ... illana.mp3

arasi - please listen entire concert again, and re-review );-

This concert was held in 1994, almost 15 years ago. Accompanists were Dr. Narmada on violin, Vid. Anoor anantakrishna sharma on mridangam and M.A.Krishnamurthy on ghatam.

A great concert, i hear Ikanainana multiple times. This song has MSS & DKP stamp since they perfected it, however, this is a different listening experience.

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

pattamaa - thanks for the re-upload. I was able to download this time.
Ah, so this was a concert she gave when she was close to 60. Her voice is in fine mettle.
Do we have any recordings of her more recent performances?

On arasi, rasika etc... one should have rAsi to be a rasika - and of course, to be arasi, arguably our most loved forumite!
;)

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

R-T
arasi is the guardian angel of this Forum..
She is ubiquitous! No doubt she leads in number of posts..
If there is any friction anywhere you are sure to find her there applying a gentle salve...
No doubt she is the most loved rasikai...

arasi

Post by arasi »

If you go on like this, either I would start sprouting wings
or get a swollen head which would pop--or
start using emoticons, a certain 'feline' rasikA favors
and 'Arasi in Rasika Land' scenario, it will be ;)

I could have used the Cheshire Cat
:grin: instead of this ;)

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

You have to accept the compliments since you are doing a good job spreading sunlight all over!
But don't sprout wings! Then you will be flying too often between the continents :D

arasi

Post by arasi »

;)

Pattamma,
Yes, I heard the concert. A very good one. I hear her disciples singing quite a bit here. I'm not sure if it was around the time she had a set back in her health and so wanted to have solid vocal support.
Yes, her voice was younger then, but it doesn't make any difference to me since I'm partial to her voice even today--which makes me wonder. People say, 'what a voice'! Do they mean sweetness alone by that or its power too in conveying the substance of the rAgA, the lyrics and their musical possibilities? To me, a sweet voice is pleasant to hear but after a while, that alone is not enough. In that sense, Neela Ramgopal delivers the goods for me.
She measures out her musical phrases elegantly but emphatically--with finesse but with a punch. Her music is lively and appealing. The maturity you see here in her music has burgeoned even more in the past years. She has the rich repository of anubhavam like many senior performers. Living her music and expressing it intelligently and creatively is her forte. Then again, I'm a fan of hers, what do you expect?
In this particular concert, there were two songs--Sri venktEsam and nanda gOPAla of MD, both often sung by M. Santhanam and for that reason (my fault), I could not get him out of my mind while listening to Neela and that didn't help! Her Arabhi ALApanA in the beginning gives a glimpse into her music and the kAmbOdi rAgA , neraval and svaram speak of her mettle.
Talking about maturing, what a long way Narmada has come too! Though she sounds good here, her playing now is something else.
Anooru gives his usual steady support.

munirao2001

Post by munirao2001 »

Dear Rasika forunites of Bangalore
Ganakala Ratna Smt Neela Ramagopal will do Lec-Demo on allied ragas, as part of the second programme of Ananya's monthly programme series- scheduled every last Sunday at 10-00Hrs at Ananya Sabhangana. Vidushi will handle Bhairavi-Manji and other allied ragas.
Please participate without fail, in full strenth, to greet and truly pay our respect to this vetern.
Keenly awaiting to meet you all on 27th, June at 09-30 Hrs.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Remotely wishing the function great success and heartwarming greetings to Neela on the occasion. Pl report the highlights here after the event....

munirao2001

Post by munirao2001 »

Dear Rasika forunites of Bangalore
I am keen to know therasika.org participants of this programme and informal meeting of rasika forunites of Bangalore

munirao2001

Post by munirao2001 »

cmlover
The Hindu reported/published on the first programme in this series by Vidushi Dr.Sathyavathi and hopefully, The Hindu will also cover the second programme. You will get the report.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Neela Ramgopal!
Just read Pattamma's review of the musical treat you had last evening. A crowning glory for your special birthday ceebrations, indeed! It was the kind of music which you are known for--tradition and innovation.
May your music flourish for many more years, and so too the music of the serenader--in his case, add several more decades!
rasikAs had a share of your feast too, thanks to all the friends and students for their thoughtful and loving gesture. What's more, rasikAs had the additional gift of not having to listen to umpteen endless speeches. Bless all those who wanted to speak volumes about you but prefered to give more time for the music which I'm sure you enjoyed.
Once again, best wishes ;)

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Where is the link for that review?

arasi

Post by arasi »

CML,
You will find it in Concert Reviews where Pattamma has reviewed the 19th June performance of Sanjay Subrahmanyan in celebration of Neela Ramgopal's birthday.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks arasi..

arasi

Post by arasi »

Pattamma, sappri, others,
One of you please point out to me the thread on Neela Ramgopal's Lec-Dem. Of what I heard, I can say that even those who do not understand kannada can enjoy this. She says things simply and clearly and the musical phrases which she uses can guide you. More than that, her singing! That muripEmu is enveloping me now!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

arasi wrote:Pattamma, sappri, others,
One of you please point out to me the thread on Neela Ramgopal's Lec-Dem. Of what I heard, I can say that even those who do not understand kannada can enjoy this. She says things simply and clearly and the musical phrases which she uses can guide you. More than that, her singing! That muripEmu is enveloping me now!
Here it is
http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=13573

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thanks, Rajesh!
Hope others get to hear this too.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

She will be singing at Ragasudha Hall (Naada Inbam) on 5 August 2010.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Good to hear that. Who are the accompanists?

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

M R Gopinath, Thanjavur Ramadas, Guruprasad

arasi

Post by arasi »

Though I'm not that familiar with Gopinath's playing (are there two Gopinaths, by the way?), I am very fond of Tanjavur Ramadas's playing. Guruprasad is good too.
Hope Neela Ramgopal is going to be kind enough to share a clip with us ;)

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I happened to see Guruprasad play yesterday, with Narmada. He was outstanding. He is a master of gumuka on the ghatam, and even followed swaras sometimes.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Neela mami 80 - a lovely hindu article
http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday ... ertainment

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Mods
Rename this thread as Neela Ramgopal . No need to have other phrases .

Also merge the other thread into this
http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php? ... ilit=neela

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajesh,
Thanks a bundle for bringing this thread up after five years!
Lovely homage to her, this Hindu article!

Our dear forumite is reaching another landmark of a birthday. As a huge rasikA of hers and as a friend, I am delighted. Got the invitation for the event, wanted to announce it here. Thanks to Rajesh, the news is here pronto.

Sappri,
Will you kindly post the invitation here and also in the Events forum?
Have a great two day celebration all, especially Neela, and we owe quite a lot of it to you, Sri.Ramgopal :)

Thanks students and admirers for honoring the lady of lovely music :)

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

Here is a link to wonderful lecdem by Neela Mami on pallavi singing.... Must listen for connoisseurs and music students... Notation is also available as PDF for easy reference to learn.

http://www.sangeethamshare.org/tvg/UPLO ... m-Pallavi/

varsha

Post by varsha »

https://archive.org/details/JAnakIPatEK ... laRamgopal

dearie O dearie nIla mami
you are always special to us
a 24 carat of our times !!!

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

Here is a link to allied raga lecture demonstration cum concert on bhairavi, mukhari, maanji and huseni held in June 2010 Accompanied by B.K.Raghu and Arjun kumar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJbypKb ... NNh-O4vJtL

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

Posting few recordings (and quite rare ones) on the occassion of vidushi's birthday.

RTP in Suvarnangi ... accompanied by MA Sundaresan, Arjun kumar and Sukanya Ramgopal... held in Bangalore Gayana Samaja in 2003, when she was honoured with sangeetha kala acharya award and tilte.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/xa8zdls37 ... a-2003.mp3

Rama Rama Emi Ruchirya in yagapriya (kalavathi in asampurna paddathi), from a concert from Brahma Gana Sabha on 12 Dec 2004, with Charulatha Ramanujam, Mannarkovil J Balaji..

http://www.mediafire.com/file/eza2t6ae2 ... -ampl1.mp3

E ramuni in vakulabharanam from a concert from thayaraja aradhana in calicult

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRf2400qoHI

Please follow her fan page in Facebook for regular updates
https://www.facebook.com/SangeethaKalaA ... aRamgopal/