Mridanga Vidwan Late Udumalai Mayilsami Sir

Carnatic Musicians
raghavt

Mridanga Vidwan Late Udumalai Mayilsami Sir

Post by raghavt »

Hi,

For the benefit of those rasikas who are not aware of MayilSami sir - Udumalai T Mayisami is one of the earliest disciples of PSP the great.

I was listening to a recording wherein Mayilsami sir was teaching his disciples. I've been told that his age at that time was 80. His playing is smooth but crisp. Excellent thoppi and that too at this age. So we can imagine how he would have played when he was in his prime time.

Even though he was playing simple Chatusra pAthams, the effect that created was simply Superb :!: . No mixing or 'innovations'. It was purely pure. I'm hearing his playing for the first time.

His patience while teaching is to be respected and appreciated. He would repeat the patterns many times unless and until the students played in perfectly. He would play slowly and demonstrate the actual fingerings of the sollu for the benefit of the disciples.

I'm little sad that his disciples, even after undergoing training from him for a long time, have not come up to a good level. By level, I mean with respect to knowledge in mridangam. I know some individuals who were fortunate to learn from him directly for a long time. But their degree of knowledge is very less when we compare the time that they spent under him and also, considering the fact that they were learning from a Sr. Disciple of PSP.

I would invite all to express their thoughts and views about this great master.

Thanks

mahesu

Re: Mridanga Vidwan Late Udumalai Mayilsami Sir

Post by mahesu »

I have heard that Sri Arjunan (father of mridangam artist Bangalore sri Arjun kumar) had learnt under Udumalai Sri Mayilsamy sir. Anyone aware of this info?

raghavt

Re: Mridanga Vidwan Late Udumalai Mayilsami Sir

Post by raghavt »

@mahesu
No Sir, I do not have idea about this info. Strangely enough, I do not see much comments about this maestro in this thread :^)