CS Murugabhoopathy

Carnatic Musicians
ajit

Re: CS Murugabhoopathy

Post by ajit »

Gamakam,
I have sent you an email to the ramchi412@yahoo.com. Please let me know if you received it.
If not you can send email to ajit_krishnan@hotmail.com

thenpaanan

Post by thenpaanan »

vintageaudio wrote:another clip featuring CSM circa 1968

CSM- Mridhangam
T.N.Balappa- Dholak
Pudukottai Mahadevan-Morsing
Thanks for posting this superlative thani. I have never heard a dholak in a CM context before. It sounds like a cross between a tabla and a mridangam, not at all like the "dholak" you hear elsewhere in pop music contexts. I can distinctly hear the panchamam predominating in the sound of the dholak as opposed to shadjamam in the mridangam. Perhaps it is just a matter of harmonics?

I wonder why the dholak has vanished from CM today given that it was present as late as 1968. Does anyone know the history of this instrument in CM concerts?

-Thenpaanan

ugk

Post by ugk »

Thanks for posting this superlative thani. I have never heard a dholak in a CM context before. It sounds like a cross between a tabla and a mridangam, not at all like the "dholak" you hear elsewhere in pop music contexts. I can distinctly hear the panchamam predominating in the sound of the dholak as opposed to shadjamam in the mridangam. Perhaps it is just a matter of harmonics?

-Thenpaanan[/quote]

I think what we are hearing on this clip is a Dholki and not a dholak.
I have played on both. Dholak is the traditional wooden type instrument with a more earthly sound.
Dholki i am told is a dholak which has been redesigned to sound more metallic. It tends to have more synthetics in its body than a dholak. I think the dholki is also called a Naal by some people.

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Let me recollect my old memory. some 35 yrs back CSM accompanied CV Narasimhan along with sikkil bhaskaran at Ethiraj kalyanamandapam near Alwarpet The concert was about 150 mts and CSM played a thani immediately after Kalyani kriti. It was excellent.

Thanjavooran 13 11 2010

Gamakam

Post by Gamakam »

Almost 2 years since I started this thread, I partially finsihed what I intended to do.

Here is my article on the legend. It is no way a comprehensive article. Just a bird's eye view on the legend's life and music.

http://solvanam.com/?p=16433

Thanks for all thsoe who shared their thoughts on this great maestro.

regards
Lalitha Ram

Gamakam

Post by Gamakam »

ajit wrote:Gamakam,
I have sent you an email to the ramchi412@yahoo.com. Please let me know if you received it.
If not you can send email to ajit_krishnan@hotmail.com

Ajit,

A special thanks to you for helping me meet Sri. Karaikudi Krishnamurthi.

regards

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Gamakam
I just read your write up, very well written.What I always like about his play is his superb nAdham of the mrudangam , may I know till which year he has played in live concerts.

gee

Post by gee »

Gamakam wrote:CSM belongs to the Mridangam trinity. Nope! i didn't coin this phrase 'mridangam trinity'. None other than the great LGJ told me this when I interviewed him for my book on Palani.

Almost all senior vidwans rate him along side Palani and PMI. While, one could easily come across several articles written on the two legends not much is known about CSM.

I have been collecting materials within my reach on CSM in the past few months and am hoping to pen them down as an article. The only decent source of information That I have come across so far has been the interview available at Sampradaya archives. Even in that interview CSM is mostly reluctant to speak abt. himself. Probably presence of his brother and guru Sankara Sivam must have stopped him from freely opening up. Sruti magazine too has carried a brief profile written by KS Kalidas.

IMHO both doesn't do justice to his genius.

I hope veteran rasikas and musicians can throw more light on this maestro.

To start with, does any one know of any living relatives/disciples of CSM? I would love to interview them.

regards
Ram
http://carnaticmusicreview.wordpress.com/
I have had the great fortune of learning from one of Murugaboopathy Sir's disciples for several years. His name is Sri Venupuri Srinivas, and currently resides in Tampa, FL, USA. He is an excellent mridangist in my opinion, and a very caring person as well. If you would like to contact him, I can give you his information.

Sam Swaminathan

Post by Sam Swaminathan »

Gamakam

I came across this delightful concert with Sri CSG accompanying Sri TRM along with Sri MSG.

Sam

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/#/album ... d_In_1962/

Gamakam

Post by Gamakam »

rajeshnat wrote:Gamakam
I just read your write up, very well written.What I always like about his play is his superb nAdham of the mrudangam , may I know till which year he has played in live concerts.
Rajesh: CSM's disciple Lakshmanraj says he played even in the 90s, till the very end.

Gamakam

Post by Gamakam »

gee wrote:
I have had the great fortune of learning from one of Murugaboopathy Sir's disciples for several years. His name is Sri Venupuri Srinivas, and currently resides in Tampa, FL, USA. He is an excellent mridangist in my opinion, and a very caring person as well. If you would like to contact him, I can give you his information.
Dear Gee,

My email is ramchi@gmail.com . Pls. put me in touch with CSM's disciple.

Thanks for the help

regards

Gamakam

annamalai

Post by annamalai »

Listening to a TNS Ramanavami concert (from 1980s) (from sangeethapriya) with CSM - what a mridangam ! the clarity of each sollukattu and the mridangam not too loud, but yet firm clear strokes; the way the mridangam blends with morsing is so melodious. atleast the recording of the concert starts with Koluvai (Bhairavi) and CSM accompaniment for Hechariga (Ykamboji) out of the world ! CSM seems to have played for many vidwans who hail from Madurai - Madurai Mani Iyer, Madurai Somu, TNS and Ramnad Krishnan (from Palghat).

sairaam

Post by sairaam »

cacm

Post by cacm »

I have been present MANY TIMES when MMI told him(CSM) at the end of the concerts" Panner(the fragrant liquid sprayed on during auspicious occasions!) Theliksha Madhiri Vasichuttel- Pramadham". Of course there is the historic concert in Bombay when the Tambura was not upto MMI'S STANDARDS & he sang the ENTIRE CONCERT JUST intently concentrating & listening to CSM'S Mridangam....In my view the BEST Mridangam Accompaniment I HAVE HEARD FOR MMI IS PSP-CSM- BOTH TIED!......MEMORABLE UNFORGETTABLE EXPERIENCES THAT STILL RING IN MY EARS....THOSE WERE THE DAYS & CONCERTS WHICH MARK THE HIGH POINTS OF MY OVER 60 YEARS OF LIVE LISTENING...VKV

sairaam

Post by sairaam »

I heard that his son's passing away took a toll on him and he started avoiding speaking to many.. Any idea about family of CSM or his Brother, anyone??

annamalai

Post by annamalai »

great artist - one of my favourite - I did not know if CSM was the artist of the MMI concert legend :-)

In my view, more than the softness of the mridangam strokes, I think it is also the various pattens of nadais that they weave while accompanying the krithis - it is so beautiful.
I remember a recording of CSM accompanying Madurai Somu for Varalandu (gurjari) - the way he takes off for the anu Pallavi is so superb and Somu immediately acknowledges - beshu, beshu ... I think this sort of style is almost forgotten and replaced with aggressive, vigorous accompaniment.

I heard a concert of Sandhayavandanam Srinivasa Rao accompanied by Madras A. Kannan - what a lovely accompaniment for Bhavanutha (Mohanam) (I find the Kanjira a bit distracting).

http://www.mediafire.com/?3hoe4shc9qdd4lp

PS: I was at a concert recently , where the artist was rendering Entara Neethana (harikamboji) - in a relaxed manner ala KVN. For some inexplicable reason, the mridangist took off on some high speed pharans and thwanks in the anupallavi - don't know why - and the main artist also increased the pace and what was melodious start ended up with some gymnastics. Net effect nice krithi spoiled.

Summary - Mridangist can take the concert to the next level or ....
Last edited by annamalai on 01 Dec 2012, 19:34, edited 1 time in total.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

There are ways to play fast, but soothing... Then it will be a delight.

I recall listening to TVG mridangam solo tape, long ago, and being baffled at how a drum solo could be as meditative as a hindustani alap.

sairaam

Post by sairaam »

Nowadays a thought moves around that - "more the sound, better the mridangist is" - Who can explain the difference btwn Nadham and Sound to them.. I think if someone starts playing without listening to CSM, i think he will always play only with agnanam..

advaitin

Post by advaitin »

lovely interview with the great artist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5bGMphvpdo

mridhangam

Post by mridhangam »

Dear

Can anyone post the famous interview of CSM with C Subramania Desikar in Trichy AIR ?

Mannarkoil J Balaji

mridhangam

Post by mridhangam »

yes varsha this is the one i was looking for. Thank you very much.

Mannarkoil J Balaji

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

That is a fascinating interview!!

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

The pattern which after a while starts increasing is one of his best expressions - I have heard this ( may be even a better execution in a Ramnad concert)

https://youtu.be/DvzmkVAtfNU?t=1061 - around 18:00

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

And yet again

parivadini

Post by parivadini »

My Favorite Thani of Shri. CS Murugabhoopathi from a 1964 concert at the Music Academy when he accompanied Dr. Balamuralikrishna. It was his birthday yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pOTS9k ... e=youtu.be

Audio Courtesy: Raju Asokan.

Rajan Padiachi

CS Murugabhoopathy

Post by Rajan Padiachi »

Namaskaram
does any one have a video of the great master CS Murugapoobathy please
aum
Rajan
South Africa

GVR2004

Post by GVR2004 »

Rajan Padiachi wrote: 23 Sep 2020, 23:15 Namaskaram
does any one have a video of the great master CS Murugapoobathy please
aum
Rajan
South Africa
Please see this - just uploaded - DD archives - such a soulful rendition and accompaniment is erudite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIiVXMDGkEQ

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

I independently saw it come up as I was catching up on Sivan Arts Academy renderings! - Very reminiscent of the Dr HariKesanallur album with both of them playing tag team with each other! That tape would have had 1000 runs.

For cittam - my only source of TNS rendition was with VR not CSM.

Well I look at the world thru these experiences!

GVR2004

Post by GVR2004 »

Here is another one - an excellent Thodi followed my a mesmerizing Thani by CSM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rme8FT6GBiw

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

For Thiru CSM avargal, dhinthagathom is a favorite phrase - he has a unique expression of that. It almost becomes a seeder for everything.

Vayoo Flute

Post by Vayoo Flute »

Here are three pieces where CSM accompanies Mali:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXSYFB2OPgs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ-f1F6kG6s&t=320s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I14agXo0R58&t=447s

The last is a kalyANi RTP and includes a thani.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

There is a thread on Sri CSM from before. Can the mods move and merge this with below? @RasikasModerator1 @RasikasModerator2 @RasikasModerator3

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=14343

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

Shri Ramanathapuram C S Murugabhoopathy - KANDACHAPU TALAM - Layavinyasam
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRoTLtXa4VU

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

#59 : The AIR relays in the non-stereo era with bass not coming through is a very diminished experience of Carnatic music! So it is an exercise in just hearing a song or rAgA chAya if any. Until cassettes started coming out and stereo players came about and more so the access to original recordings from golden era available in the U.S could be heard, we couldn't listen to the full spectrum of the musical output.

One may argue, a live experience in that era with all the motely audio equipment would have been no better, but I would disagree. In many an open space , the reverberation of instruments were naturally heard!

With his thoppi muted, CSM of the CSM doesn't come through!

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Here is an excellent video by one of his direct students explaining the salient features of the stalwart's playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-MoY_PUF4E

Very in depth!

The dESAdi tALA hand off to vocalist - there is one explained there as well. Will get timeline.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

A very vintage and artistic syncopation by CSM for caraNam of nijadasavarada - for the 3/4th (mukkAl) eduppu (offset).

https://youtu.be/JSOQB_SAfxY?t=4172

An intricate sollu taken from 5 mAtras prior to arudhi or samam (Tla)gugumta (Tla is a fast uruTTu sol) and executed with a dintagugumtagum to land at 3/4th past the arudhi or samam.