Trichy J Venkatraman

Carnatic Musicians
Gamakam

Trichy J Venkatraman

Post by Gamakam »

I had the fortune of meeting him this season. A short profile (written by me) of his can be read here: http://carnaticmusicreview.wordpress.co ... argazhi-5/

raagapriya

Re: Trichy J Venkatraman

Post by raagapriya »

I have been fortunate to learn under Shri J.Venkatraman Sir since 1984. Even after moving to Kalakshetra and Chennai I am still learning under him. He is a teacher par excellence. He doesn’t teach for money. He accepts whatever the student pays. If it is a large amount he returns. He is easily accessible and very down to earth person. It is hard to find such a dedicated teacher in today’s commercial world.

After his day’s work he used to cycle for about ten kilometers from AIR, Trichy to Srirangam. His sessions used to be for three hours. It will be like a full fledged concert. He used to take one raaga and elaborate for three hours covering the entire RTP and kuraippu. It is always very intricate and if the student feels it is difficult, he will not leave and say “Mudiyaadhadhunu yedhuvum kidaiyadhu. Pesappadadhu. Paadungo. Endha studentku enna varumnu enakku theriyum”. He encourages and brings out the best from every student. He always insist that we have to use our brain and work on various innovative mathematical combinations and patterns. His way of writing notation is very neat and remarkable, using double colored pens for Swaram and Sahithyam. He used to think about these intricacies and put tala while riding the cycle. Maami used to tell “Ivarukku eppa pathalum idhe sinthanai. Trafficla ippadi varaarenu enakku bayama irukku. Night kooda thalaila thalam pottunde paduthindiruppar.” He has composed more than 70 alankaras. His lecture demonstrations are very educative to students and advanced learners.

I feel really blessed to be his disciple.

Dr R Lalitha Rukmani, Ex Principal, Kalakshetra.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Dr Lalitha Rukmani: Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for sharing your experiences with Shri J.Venkatraman.

sramesh

Post by sramesh »

My Mrs. Maheswari is also used to recall J venkataraman sir even though maheswari is a vainika in each and every breathe she recollect the teachings of her great Guru sir gives most importance to bhava gamaga and laya exclusively than a keerthana. She always pray for guru as he is a precious to the Classical Music World.Maheswari is serving now as an A Grade
staff Veena Artist and performing in various katcheri throughout,she had her learning whenever she had been a student of PG in Music and her HOD couldnt tolerate even a little percentage of knowlege she had from her guru, her guru"s blessings had the power of even foiling her(HOD"s) curses. Maheswari had played Veena for National Programme, TTD and various Sabhas etc throughout because of his blessings guru JV who is her breathe, bread and vision which she doesnt had (visually challanged), but had a lot of inner vison created by her
guru Sir J Venkataraman of Trichy

sramesh

Post by sramesh »

sramesh wrote:My Mrs. Maheswari is also used to recall J venkataraman sir even though maheswari is a vainika in each and every breathe she recollect the teachings of her great Guru sir gives most importance to bhava gamaga and laya exclusively than a keerthana. She always pray for guru as he is a precious to the Classical Music World.Maheswari is serving now as an A Grade
staff Veena Artist and performing in various katcheri throughout,she had her learning whenever she had been a student of PG in Music and her HOD couldnt tolerate even a little percentage of knowlege she had from her guru, her guru"s blessings had the power of even foiling her(HOD"s) curses. Maheswari had played Veena for National Programme, TTD and various Sabhas etc throughout because of his blessings guru JV who is her breathe, bread and vision which she doesnt had (visually challanged), but had a lot of inner vison created by her
guru Sir J Venkataraman of Trichy

one egs from her gurus blessings : Please visit http://www.thehindu.com Maheswari Venkitaraman. in the Hindu 17th Feb. Review. Thank you(put www.thehindu.veena maheswari or Maheswari Venkitaraman)

ramamoorthi

Post by ramamoorthi »

hi is he lives in trichy or his disciples lives in trichy