Madurai Mani Iyer Centenary Celebrations Chennai Oct 28,2012

Carnatic Musicians
venu sundar

Re: Madurai Mani Iyer Centenary Celebrations Chennai Oct 28,

Post by venu sundar »

DEAR ALL,
THIAGRAJA ARADHANA CLEVELAND TWINS VKV AND VVS GUIDED THE MMI MADDYS AND THE 28TH FUNCTION OF MMI 100 WAS A VERY GRAND SUCCESS THANKS TO ALL THE RASIKAS.THE EVENT HAD NO VIPS AT ALL.ALL CAME WITH ONLY ONE FOCUS THAT OF MMI.MMI IS MUSICAL GOD.IN OUR HEARTS HE LIVES FOR EVER AND EVER SIRS!
MY CONTACT
CELL 98413 13 527
EMAIL esvee45@yahoo.co.in
esvee45@gmail.com
address
s.venugopalan
7a prasanthi apts.
tmm street vannanthurai
chennai 600041!IN THE SERVICE OF MMI 24x7 IN THE FOOT STEPS OF VKV AND VVS!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

I was there for one and half hours before Suryaprakash concert and also during the concert

# As uday pointed out ,precisely when Shri VKV told at the end with few tears ,where in he considered Shri MMi'S Photo as he could not get his mother's photo, showed how much shri MMI has influenced the no #1 rasika of MMI.

# Also Shri VKV took so much pains to honour many people . To honour say MSG and give it to Dr Narmada is one thing , but to trace back sisters of Smt Savithri(disciple of MMI) who died half a decade back in Lalgudi train mishap, invite son in law and grand son of Tiruvalangadu sundresa Iyer and Mayavaram Govindaraja pillai is truly a great accompolishment

# I personally felt the function was a great tribute to shri mmmi

On the suryaprakash-MAS-Mann Easwaran- BSP concert :
----------------------------------------------------------------
The recording is already there , just few +s and one irritating -

+ Swaras in general and in general packaging so much musical content within 80 mins was well done. I especially liked the kAmbOdhi after the ga pa ma gA for manOdharmam

+ Personally I only had access very recently to MMI's kamalAmbA bhairavi krithi . To me suryaprakash sang this beautifully, elongated sangathis with real power aided by real great tone of Mannargudi Easwaran with a touch of MAS exuberance was lovely.

- Volume Volume , I wish the knob was turned 45 degree anticlockwise from North to NorthWest. The volume of both Suryaprakash and Easwaran was loud ,perhaps I choose to sit at a wrong place in BVB in the ground floor . I always sit in the first floor balcony. But certainly the concert could have reduced volume , also when the ragas are pantuvarAli and kAmBodhi as submain and main ,may be the knob must have been turned 90 degrees anticlockwise from North to West .

Certainly very intense manOdharmam by suryaprakash who brings his originality and also following MMI swara prasthAna style.OVerall a very good concert for 80 mins

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

VKV Sir
You are simply too great a bhaktha , If it is OK can we get an access to your autobiography. You are a true mad Scientist and a real madurai mani pAithiyam (all in good measure), I couldnot meet you as I had to rush and you were busy being the MC.Thanks for you,Shri Vv Sundaram (who also spoke well) and many of your generation great rasikas like shri venu sundar and many whom I did not know.

cacm

Post by cacm »

Dear Rajeshnat,
THANKS very much for your kind sentiments....I will send you by email the brief biography after I reach USA & settle down...It will take a few weeks as I am leaving on Monday...Missed meeting you. Regs, VKV

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

If it is OK can we get an access to your autobiography.
Agreed! Perhaps it could be published on Rasikas.org. Some of "multifaceted personalities" merit a thread all of their own.

If that is too public, then please consider extending the circulation. I'm right behind Rajesh in the queue.

My curiosity was stimulated recently, when I heard you name mentioned in the context of teaching physics here in Chennai. I started to wonder how your career took you to USA and a household-name institution. Then I heard that an autobiography exists. The stories of VKV in science and VKV in music must both be good ones. Let them be told :)

<crossposted with cacm himself>

Can I have a copy too, please?

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Me three.

cacm

Post by cacm »

SURE! ITS WRITTEN FOR MY SON WHO WAS BORN & GREW UP IN USA..ITS BRIEF & INCIDENT BASED & NOTHING PROFOUND IS CLAIMED OR SAID. MAY PROVE TO BE DISAPPOINTING. VKV

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Suryaprakash
Re: Madurai Mani Iyer » 04 Nov 2012 08:29

My humble pranams to all. I have always avoided posting in a thread which has a review of my concert but I feel I have to post something here to convey my deep feelings regarding the glorious celebration of Parama Guru Madurai Mani Iyer mama's Centenary at BVB Hall and also about my fellow artist(s) who presented the second concert of the evening. I could see many people sitting in the audience moved to tears, listening to the speeches of Shri. Cleveland Shri.V V Sundaram mama and Shri.VKV. and yours truly was no exception. It was a unique learning experience for me listening to the analytical and emotional lec-dems of Durgamma, Ravikiranji, Narmada ji and Kalidas sir. Not to forget Yessel ji's nimble fingers on the computer, selecting the choicest gems from an eclectic collection and the stupendous volunteering work done by Venugopalan sir and Chandraiah sir. I have always felt I needed another Janma to fathom the musical ocean, Parama Guru MMI mama and this feeling was further reinforced on listening to the rare masterpieces played specially on the occasion. I can only offer my profound respects to my Guru Sangeetha Kalanidhi Shri.T.V.Sankaranarayanan sir as I think "How fortunate I am to have been an understudy of this immortal baani of Caranatic Music?".

I would like to specially offer my appreciation to my fellow artiste Smt.Gayathri Girish and her team for presenting a wonderful performance as the second concert of the day. It is very difficult to do justice to certain compositions which, even though, having percolated through the hierarchies of a common tradition but have been given an individualistic stamp of excellence by a musical genius, which Smt.Gayathri did amply. I was able to stay for the concert only till Smt.Gayathri started her main raga due to my other commitments but thoroughly enjoyed what was sung till then - the Vaara kriti (Surya Murthe, Saurashtram, Sadananda Thandavam(bahudaari), Thelisi Rama Chintana (Purnachandrika), Saarasamukhi (gowda Malhaar, with chittaswarams). Narmada ji on the violin was playing a second innings of excellence that day after her lecdem. Mannarkoil J Balaji played superb sarvalaghu that everyone was reminded of Vellore Shri.Ramabhadran mama, especially during "Sadananda Thandavam", Adambakkam Shankar was greatly supportive too. Forgive me dear rasikas, this is my first attempt to even write a semblence of a report, leave alone review! - with regards - R.Suryaprakash
Suryaprakash

EDIT . DELETE . FLAG . QUOTE
#841 - venu sundar
Re: Madurai Mani Iyer » 05 Nov 2012 02:30

EXCELLENT is the word I can think of to describe the writings of Musical GOD Sri Madura MANI IYER!VKV and VVS SIRS our inspiration and guiding ICONS!
I am one of the PROUD lots to have involved in a very little bit in the ocean of Madurai Mani 100 celebrations at BVB on the 28th OCTOBER 2012 in a sort MMI MADDYS GET
TOGETHER!As mentioned by you VVS and VKV SIRS speeches made every one CRY perhaps in happiness ie ANANDHA KANNER!Of course ALL OF US worked as if it was one of the FAMILY FUNCTIONS>All the RASIKAS ARE THE BLESSED LOT and we THANK ONE AND ALL>WE do not STOP here but we are only starting to say the TRUTH.We have very big and ambitious plans for the future which I shall write in detail,Of course MS Gaythri Girishs concert was a FITTING FINALE to the emotional event and GG was in TOP form to say the least.Her rendering of MMI HITS were melodious and sweet with total dedication.Surya and GG brought the MMI memory to ALL the RASIKAS with blissful MUSIC!
Madurai Mani Maddys plans are many and MORE to come.We appeal through this RASIKAS>ORG for their support from ALL angles.We plan to have one place permanently for MADURA MANI and perhaps a BUST will be place in the centre of the MANIMANDAPAM if one can call it.We shall try to make maximum recordings of the great ICON MMI and ANY MADDY CAN RECORD THE SAME FREE OF COST>But the initial expenditure for the small or BIG hall will be borne by the RASIKAS as a WHOLE.WE may also hold MONTHLY LISTENING SESSIONS permanently in the venue in future.On behalf of ALL the MADDYS I appeal ALL your support for the dreamy venture.PLS RESPOND!

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

Dear All ,
I am told that SRI TVS had confirmed date of birth of the legend SRI MADURAI MANI IYER was 28 the of October 1912 and not 25 th as popularly believed!

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Subject: Fw: Madurai mani Iyer Birthday-and CHITTI GUHAN DAY!
To: "chitti vidya@hotmail.com" <chittividya@hotmail.com>, "grsubba@ hotmail.com" <grsubba@hotmail.com>
Cc: "lash1970@yahoo.com" <lash1970@yahoo.com>
Date: Thursday, 15 November, 2012, 6:24

MMI-CHITTI-GUHAN REMEMBRANCE DAY!
VENUE VIDYA VILASAM NO 9 THIRD CROSS ST DR RADHAKRISHNAN NAGAR
TIRUVANMIYUR CHENNAI 41 Behind AXIS BANK &AIRTEL SASTRINAGAR
TIME 10 AM on Sunday 25th NOV
EVENT MMIs MUSIC FOR 100 MINUTES
Speakers CLEVELAND V>V SUNDARAM SRI KRA NARASIAH AND SRI CL RAMAKRISHNAN
Honouring of Sri SL NARASIMAHAN EN RANGANTHAN AND MS LAKSHMI
MUNCH HIGH TEA &SNACKS

CONTACT VENU S/O CHITTI CELL 98413 13527
RBI RETD CHENNAIand KUPPUSAMY GUHANS NEPHEW