Bellary Brothers

Carnatic Musicians
Gamakam

Bellary Brothers

Post by Gamakam »

I listened to a concert of Bellary Brothers for the first time morning. This was a concert released commercially by the musicians family. I have not even heard their names, leave alone their music until a few days back, when i friend of mine passed on the tapes.

The abheri and arabhi renditions were truly out of the world.

I contacted Smt. MS Vidya (daughter of one of the brothers) and she said that was only concert she could get manage to locate.

It would be great if we can find more renditions of the masters and share more information of these truly great artists.

I also came to know from Vidya that the elder of the brothers lives in Mysore. I do plan to meet Vidya and hopefully her uncle in the coming weeks and possible write an article on the brothers. Mean while, I am hoping more recordings and anecdotes will come out through rasikas.org.

SKA

Re: Bellary Brothers

Post by SKA »

I have not listened to any concert of thiers either , but I have heard MS Vidya ma'am sing some compositions of her father. The compositions were so good that one might even confuse them to be a trinity composition. espesially one in raga hragini on Purandaradasa was superb. great people no doubt !

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

I believe we have discussed Bellary Brothers earlier on the forum.

Sri. Venkateshachar lives in Mysore. Sri. Sheshagiriachar passed away in early 1990s (not sure).

I remember seeing a clip of Sri. Venkateshachar on YouTube also.

There is also a facebook page maintained by one of the family members.

In the last year or so, we had some fine music of the Brothers shared by Coolkarniji (Mankuthimma).

If there is no thread already existing, I will come back and write again.

Gamakam

Post by Gamakam »

Dear Sreeni Rajarao Sir,

Pls. do reshare the music that has been shgared earlier.

The facebook page is here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bellary-B ... 5004209132

CRama

Post by CRama »

By sheer coincidence I also, listened the same album a couple of days back, even though Sivaramakrishnan, forumite gave it to me a year back. I was simply bowled over by their astounding music. Their music has a resemblance to Alathur Brothers- one has a very strong voice and another a mild pleasant voice. The music was outstanding.
One of the brothers has got one son named Bellary M.Raghavendra, a musician of high order. He was working in AIR Bangalore and later on he was transferrred to Mysore. I had a brief stint under him and he was a dedicated teacher who went on teaching for hours together if we had the interest and time. During last December season, he gave some concerts in Chennai and there was a radio relay also of one of the concerts.
Gamakam sir can contact AIR Bangalore and Mysore, contact Shri Raghavendra and know further details about the illustrious Bellary brothers.

matterwaves

Post by matterwaves »

I remember Venkateshachar present a kriti in Todi starting with 'Anjaneya' on AIR mysore almost a decade back. It was astounding, esp the chitte swaras. Its probably a composition of sheshagiri achar. Was not able to find it anywhere on internet

matterwaves

Post by matterwaves »

Second from right is bellary venkteshachar. Spot the others!

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

Can not they change their name 'Bellary Brothers'

Bellary Brothers very often in the news now a days for wrong reasons.

only a suggestion and no offence meant.

venkatakailasam

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

In the above photo ,is that Flute Mali right in the center with the light green shawl

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

I am quite certain it is Sri. Mali in the center. I am scratching my brain to recollect the name of the person on the extreme right - I have seen him in Bangalore music circles long time ago.

sruthi

Post by sruthi »

The young man at the back is violin vidwan Mysore Nagaraj, one of the Mysore brothers.

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

A picture of Bellary Sheshagiriachar from January 1974

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

The person to the right of mAli, with longish hair is mostly his student, B.N.Suresh - a talented flautist who died young.

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

Keerthi,
I have seen B N Suresh and I am not 100% sure that is him in this picture.

Yes, Suresh was immensely talented. There are some recordings of his available in private collections.

matterwaves

Post by matterwaves »

ok.. the faces i can recognise

1)extreme right is mridangist PG Lakshminarayana
2)next to him is venkatesh achar(one of the brothers)
3)behind Mali, next to the person with the mustache is HK narasimha murthy (violinist)-- (father of contempoary violinist HN Bhaskar)
4)Next to him on the other side of the woman is a young Mysore M Nagaraj.
5)person with long hair is not BN suresh but a prof of some college. I have seen him in concerts often.
6)Partially visible face is that of Ramesh, the morsing player

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

(I wonder if this was already discussed elsewhere in the Forum and I might have missed it)

From the July 2015 issue of SRLKM Newsletter that Sri Bellary Venkateshachar passed away on June 8th 2015 at the age of 84 years.

A link to the Facebook page here:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bellary- ... 5004209132

Sincere condolences!

varsha

Post by varsha »

gardabha_gana

Post by gardabha_gana »

Guru Vani Sateesh - daughter of Vid. Venkateshachar teaches in Bangalore and also is an active performer. She along with her husband Vid. Mysore Sateesh, run a vibrant sabha - Vishesha - a Sabha with a difference. You can visit at http://vishesha.org