Radha Viswanathan

Carnatic Musicians
advaitam

Radha Viswanathan

Post by advaitam »

I am starting this thread on Smt Radha Viswanathan, daughter of Smt MSS and vocal accompanist for almost 50 years. Here is a rare solo concert from 1980, broadcast on AIR. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBFB5E0CC5C22F0E6 On listening to this, I can only wonder at her vidwat and genius which went unnoticed, and how Carnatic music is all the poorer for not having recognised her as a soloist in her own right, when she was physically fit and able!

VISHNURAMPRASAD

Re: Radha Viswanathan

Post by VISHNURAMPRASAD »

Just hearing the great lady's solo music for the first time!

What a divine Voice?, what a diction? what a perfection!

Simply Divine! Perfection is in her blood, born to epitomes of perfection!

Namasthe to you for starting this thread and sharing the link.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Usually we have so many writeups about ms amma and of late a lot of writeup about young s aishwarya. I personally liked the write up on vidushi Radha viswanathan - focusssing mostly about her.

http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday ... ertainment

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Cienu
I am reading this author Ranjani Govind who has covered your amma and other articles in the Hindu. She appears bit of a fresh blood writer and i think she is based out of bangalore. Is she the same person who did some work on RK shrikantan book - memory is bit hazy there. Convey my appreciation to her as she writes well

cacm

Post by cacm »

rajeshnat wrote:Cienu
I am reading this author Ranjani Govind who has covered your amma and other articles in the Hindu. She appears bit of a fresh blood writer and i think she is based out of bangalore. Is she the same person who did some work on RK shrikantan book - memory is bit hazy there. Convey my appreciation to her as she writes well
MY RESPONSE: She is quite well known & very good. The fact that an expert like Rajeshnat has not heard of her points to the PROBLEMS in coverage, reporting & RANK IGNORANCE of HINDU as well as the rasikas. VKV

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Nice article!! Some lighter stuff:
Radha has inherited her Father's rapier wit and humor--a trait she showed very early in her life--an anecdote she told me eons ago about her "exchange" with EllisDuncan(Director of Shakunthalai). A scene involving Radha as young Bharatan--the shooting on that day was marred by frequent clouds,with the Sun playing hide and seek--after a couple of takes and retakes Radha was bored and distracted(especially a road engine just outside the studio or outdoor(I do not remember)--when finally the lighting is adequate Duncan proceeds to shoot only to find to his chagrin Radha distracted. Duncan says" Radha "What are you doing/looking at-- without missing a beat Radha says I am looking at the road engine--needless to say everyone at the set had a hearty laugh including Duncan!!! She had the capacity to break an awkward moment with a timely diversion--when her father would be on a rampage ranting all over,Radha with a smiling face would be quiet and let the "storm" pass without interrupting or defending herself or whosoever was the target--and when her mother turns to her later for moral support,she would bluntly retort Why don't you speak up if you felt he was unfair!!!

She and her sister Vijaya--just 4 years apart got along very well--no sibling rivalry--Vijaya of her own volition would keep in the background and they defended each other when members of the household criticised one of them. Radha's maturity and poise(she was the Social Secretary for the Household) under intense scrutiny by the Chennai Elite was always a quality I admired while watching her!!

It is commendable that she is personally steering Aishwarya's career although due to her mother's hectic schedule she was not afforded to perform solo!!
Myself and my wife cannot forget her magnanimous gesture when she surprised my wife on her birthday in Sept 1977(during their visit to the US) dancing to Malai Pozhudinele to the singing of MS Amma and yours truly(I have a picture proving it--unfortunately we did not record the event!!)--Cienu had posted the pic on the MS Amma thread.
Whenever I visited kalki gardens during my college days she was the "Big Sister" for me---memories memories!!
Just the other day I happened to come across a pic postcard Radha had sent my mother from japan describing the concerts in Tokyo Osaka!
That was vintage Radha--likewise the Edinburgh trip she regularly sent my mother pic postcards with passing mention of Menuhin and the Royal family as if it was a sidebar event

Radha was extraordinarily kind towards my family. Cienu is doing an outstanding job in preserving the heritage!!!

Sorry for this "mush"!!!

cienu

Post by cienu »

rajeshnat wrote:Cienu
Is Ranjani Govind the same person who did some work on RK shrikantan book - memory is bit hazy there. Convey my appreciation to her as she writes well
Yes. she is the same person who wrote a wonderful book on Sri R.K.Srikantan and this book was released in his presence a few months before he passed away.

cienu

Post by cienu »

mods : pls delete
Last edited by cienu on 28 Feb 2015, 08:55, edited 1 time in total.

cienu

Post by cienu »

mods : pls delete
Last edited by cienu on 28 Feb 2015, 08:55, edited 1 time in total.

cienu

Post by cienu »

Thank you Advaitam for this thread started 3 years back ! I am surprised that I had missed this page.
Thank you to Vishnu Ram Prasad , Rajesh , VKV and Ramesh Mama for the kind words.
Please find a picture of my mother on her 80th birthday in Nov 2014

cacm

Post by cacm »

VERY NICE PIC! THE SPARK IS CLEARLY THERE!THANKS.VKV

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

deleted

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

advaitam wrote:... Here is a rare solo concert from 1980, broadcast on AIR. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBFB5E0CC5C22F0E6 On listening to this, I can only wonder at her vidwat and genius which went unnoticed, and how Carnatic music is all the poorer for not having recognised her as a soloist in her own right ...
advaitam:
Thanks a lot for giving the link !

cienu

Post by cienu »

The Governor of Maharashtra Shri Vidyasagar Rao presents the “Sri Shanmukhananda Dr. M.S Subbulakshmi Sangeetha Pracharya” Award to Smt Radha Viswanathan at Shanmukhananda Hall - Mumbai on Sep 13th 2015

cacm

Post by cacm »

SHE is going to be deservedly honoured in several places this season. The BEST TRIBUTE we can pay is to ATTEND & CELEBRATE HER acheivements, talents and SERVICES TO CARNATIC MUSIC in as many places as possible. VKV