PAAPAA CHOODAAMANI,THE THEN BANGALORE M.S.

Carnatic Musicians
srikanthamshastry

PAAPAA CHOODAAMANI,THE THEN BANGALORE M.S.

Post by srikanthamshastry »

pranaamams to all rasikas,today i want to share a small background of this artist& her guruji.she was born in noorani in kerala.she lost her parents at her early age.she received music training by her mentor sri Ambi bhagavathar,a disciple of the great vidwan Ariyaakkudi ramaanuja iyengar.At her early age of 9years, she gave a performance with the pakkavaadyam of B.T.Rajanna&Kunjumani iyer.She sang almost all evenings of navaraatri in the court of H.H jayachamaraja wodeyar& received 'sangita ratnam, gaana vishaarada .At her age of 42,she passed away.She was famous for her ringing voice&Taalam.HerTambura,books are with me,because of being a 'shishya' of AmbiBhagavatar.Iam proud to say that,her voice(audio) is also with me.My salutations to them.

Sam Swaminathan

Re: PAAPAA CHOODAAMANI,THE THEN BANGALORE M.S.

Post by Sam Swaminathan »

srikanthamshastry sir...I must have been very very young when I heard this respected artist. The "Kunjumani Iyer" you refer to is the Guru of my elder brother Sri Mannargudi Easwaran and he always talks very fondly about Choodamani amma. In 1950's she had visited us in Katpadi in the company of Sri Kunjumani Iyer. Again going by memory, Anna has also accompanied her quite a few times. I would very much appreciate if you have any recordings of her in the company of Sri Kunjumani Iyer. Regards

srikanthamshastry

Re: PAAPAA CHOODAAMANI,THE THEN BANGALORE M.S.

Post by srikanthamshastry »

sam swaminathan sir, very delighted to see your mail.her sangitam was called as'purusha sangitam'.I dont have her voice with sri kunjumani iyer,but have only 2 records with sri chalakudi narayanaswamy,c.subbu, e.m.pancha pakeshan.even her photo what i am having is also not clear,i request the readers to share whatever they know about paapaa,so that at least available matter can be recorded.if you are having kunjumani's photo,please share with me,because he was a regular ' pakka vaadyam for my grandfather mysore asthaana vidwan,Chintalapalli raamachandra rao.