Shri TR Balu..

Carnatic Musicians
venkatakailasam

Shri TR Balu..

Post by venkatakailasam »

I searched for a thread of him..could not find one..If found, this can be merged...

Courtesy..Sruti Magazine..

T.R. Balasubramaniam was the one GNB sishya who could have reached a position of eminence in Carnatic music such as attained by MLV, had he not died prematurely young. He was a rising star in the 1950s, with his strong voice and pleasing style, reminiscent of his guru’s. He was one of the last of the old guard of disciples to experience gurukulavasa. He very efficiently managed GNB’s affairs including his family budget. Largely responsible for the publication of GNB’s Gana Bhaskara Manimalai, T.R. Balu died on the concert stage. He made a lasting contribution to Carnatic music in the form of his disciples Radha-Jayalakshmi. He was the first of a number of GNB sishya-s who bore his name — S. Balasubramaniam and T.S. Balasubramaniam (who has contributed to this commemorative volume) were among them. It was even jokingly rumoured that you had to be a Balasubramaniam to be accepted as GNB’s pupil!.....

TR Balu-Siva-Siva-Pantuvarali--(LJ-VR- SRK)

002-TR Balu-Siva-Siva-Pantuvarali-tr balu.mp3 - 24.3 Mb

Brindavana-Nilaye-Reetigowla-( LJ-VR-SRK)

001-TR Balu-Brindavana-Nilaye-Reetigowla-tr balu.mp3 - 12.1 Mb

I have a few of his clips..

Ramasubramanian M.K

Re: Shri TR Balu..

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

TRB was one of the most dedicated,loyal disciples of GNSir(not to devalue other sishyas)--was a tremendous help to the family during the early years--was ever ready to teach people willing w/o any discussion of remuneration--he taught my aunt Sada Palaya,Paraamuham,Maravanu Ne and was very patient,dignified in his teaching methods--he was a very good friend of my uncle(who was a die-hard GNB fan).One of his first concerts in Mumbai was in 1949(not in Shanmukhananda Sabha) in a hall called "Palamcottah hall" near Parsi Colony(in matunga--Mumbaikars may be able to relate to this)-- a wonderful concert despite the fact that my knowledge was limited to being able to identify ragas!!!
He died of heart failure and had shown no symptoms earlier. If my memory serves me right he was one of the younger Vidwans in the Fifties who had performed @ the Music Academy season(3 P.M. concert) with Tier One accompanists(I think TNK and Palani) when the Academy experimented with the format of having Tier 1 accompanists accompany junior artistes(MDR,RK Srikantan,Ramnad Krishnan et al).

One of the most pleasantest and decent artist-human being that I have had the fortune of knowing.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Shri Venkatakailasam
WHen I click the download link I get the site jumbofiles.com , On clicking download button it is giving an error page not found. Would it be possible for you to upload in dropbox or some other site .

venkatakailasam

check it, now..

http://jumbofiles.com/pgbgzpvth47c/002-TR Balu-Siva-Siva-Pantuvarali-tr balu.mp3.html

http://jumbofiles.com/zl3aklxi61ss/001-TR Balu-Brindavana-Nilaye-Reetigowla-tr balu.mp3.html

I am able to download.. if still you have problem I can provide MF link through your E mail..

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Shri VK
I am still having problems, after hitting the download button I get connection time out error .Please send me the MF link(Mediafire) to me by mail.

venkatakailasam

Sent...please check your mail...

vk

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Thanks venkatakailasam sir
I had time to listen to all his songs and also the pranamAmyaham in gowlai that you sent me as private mail. So much of GNB overlap i loved his rocking pantuvarAli. Every disciple of GNB like TRB,SKR and TVR had so much of GNB influence, for long years in their musical career their stereotyping with GNB would have had its pluses and minuses in the minds of rasikas .

One of the finest contributions of GNB ,that was indeed picked up by all disciples is the verve and those bountiful brigas till the end of the sub-main, there is surely great charm in that kind of presentation with those numbers as it not only warms up the voice of the vocalist but also kind of brings the violinist and percussionists into the kalaikattufying zone

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Lalgudi Sir used to say of GNB--"Namma Sangeethakku Oru Istyle(his way of saying "style"!!) kondu vandar".
My main point of admiration of GNSir's music was not in the fast breezy briga but the overarching round up of the raga towards the end after all the fireworks--a la TNR!!

Also he could take up a senchukambodhi or Kadanakuthuhalam and bring out the raga chaya in the first few notes accentuating the jeevaswaras of the raga--also when he starts Kalyani he will not start with the andhara Gandhara( a la Sankarabharanam) but with Pa Ma Ga straightaway leaving no doubt about what he is going to sing--I have seen even today younger musicians will start with the Gandhara and dwell on it for a few seconds as if to flaunt their sruthi suddham!! Not that it is wrong!!