Ariyakudi Ramanuja Iyengar

Carnatic Musicians
bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Ragjay, yes please do so when you find time. Thank you.

shripathi_g

Post by shripathi_g »

I've uploaded what I think is the concert that Ragjay is referring to.

http://www.sangeethamshare.org/sripathy ... ARI-09.zip

Ragjay

Post by Ragjay »

Hi Sripathi thanks for your upload. I am referring to another concert where the pallavi is PARIMALA RANGAPATHE and it is a 3.5 hrs concert. I shall upload it in sangeethamshare and provide the link Bye Ragjay

pgaiyar

Post by pgaiyar »

To:Ragjay

Please upload this concert with the RTP,"Parimala". God bless you.

Regards

Guru
26-Jan-09

krishna212001

Post by krishna212001 »

G.N.Balasubramaniam regarded Shri Ariyakudi Ramanuja Iyengar as his Manasika Guru.
While GNB would start with a Raga Alapana it would have a few touches of ARI's bani in them.

Regards
Krishna
Last edited by krishna212001 on 07 Sep 2009, 11:10, edited 1 time in total.

krishna212001

Post by krishna212001 »

srkris wrote:Hello Everyone,

Can you share your thoughts on Ariyakudi please. I will also contribute whatever I know.

Here is a picture of Ramanuja Iyengar

The Photo is not getting displayed.

Regards
Krishna

krishna212001

Post by krishna212001 »

Ragjay wrote:Bilahari Please listen to his Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan concert with the same set All major ragas sung and a brilliant Khamboji RTP and brilliant violin and mirdangam playing . Probably one of the best recordings in circulation Raghavan

Hi

Any chances of listening to that prestigious Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan Concert.
If available please do share them.

Regards
Krishna

krishna212001

Post by krishna212001 »

Mahesh wrote:I agree with Bala, I've never been able to appriciate his concerts, maybe because there are only a very limited amount of his concerts in circulation.

Oh, in the first pic above, I *think* it's [a young] KVN on the thambura.

Hi Mahesh & Bala

I think you have not understood the essence in Iyengarval's Music.
Please do listen to his music more and more and then you will start understanding the Bhavam and
technical aspects in his Music.

In the Picture it is not KVN it is (a young) Madurai N Krishnan on the Thambura

Regards
Krishna.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 27 Nov 2009, 17:35, edited 1 time in total.

Ragjay

Post by Ragjay »

Coolkarni it is indeed true that perhaps I am orbiting elliptically. The Ariakudi concert spool tape is damaged beyond redemption. I have transferred it on to cassettes and I am trying to figure out who took them. I shall certainly retrieve it and upload it .

rajeshnat

Re: Ariyakudi Ramanuja Iyengar

Post by rajeshnat »

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Old timers who had a chance to hear Ariyakudi (MKR , VKV,CML , Arasi , veeyens )
Quick question to you all. When I hear ariyakudi in the few available recordings, I am unable to connect to "ahA oHO excellence " that every musician and old timers have said .To me and personally only to me , I would not rate him say in the league of say GNB, MMI and SSI .

At the same time wheneven greats like GNB,SSI have talked so much about the greatness of ariyakudi , I am assuming his great concerts are not available as recordings, possibly you all may have heard him in 40's and 50's . If you can recollect his concerts and take me to that perceived "ahA oHO excellence " that would be great. Anecdotes like his proportion , paddhAti creater along with his guru shri poochi IyengAr etc are all great achievements , but musically what was this "ahA oHO excellence" ,is what I would like to know from you all old timers.

MKR sir
Possibly you can recollect your dad's experience too.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Just a couple of thoughts based on listening to ARI recordings...

1) His alapanas are quite succinct.
2) Rajesh, as it happens in all fields, those who stand on the shoulders of giants may be able to look far and out but they acknowledge the debt they owe to the giant without whose shoulders they could not have gone farther than the giant. ( borrowing from what Einstein said about Newton )

cacm

Post by cacm »

Rajeshnat,
I consider ARI to be the ULTIMATE creative Genius & perfect Creator of Carnatic Music since 1930's. It will take at least an hour to present the case & if we ever meet I canpresent the case. This forum is not the suitable place.....VKV

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

vkv: That indeed is a great topic for a rasikas get together.. If you ever do this, please record, so all can partake in the experience.

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Rajeshnat: I had just the SAME feeling when I first heard him in the late forties and fifties--myself and my father would have arguments on this--I did not need any persuasion with regard to GNB,MMI Musiri or MVI but about ARI I was ambivalent. Over the years when I listened more and more--we have a few reel-to-reel and cassette recordings languishing in my archives here in NY--need a VKV to help me-am afraid to even touch them!!---I have developed admiration for his music.

In my opinion if you are looking for the Bhavam as in SSI,you may not find it. If you expect the Thodi to be different from one concert to another you may not find it. But you would find an inexplicable "Jilu JIluppu" in his music--I can demonstrate that when we meet--the paradox is that ARI's Shadja will always be slightly on the higher side(whereas GNB's Shadja will be lower and a trifle discordant)--yet ARI's would not sound bad whereas GNB's sruthi kuraichal(I do not know how to explain it-only by Demo can this be done) will be noticeable.

More importantly the Pangeedu(sense of proportion in the whole concert or the balance betwen the Ragam,Krithi Swaram etc is exemplary and worthy of emulation. After hearing a # of Kutcheris--hearing a whole gamut of kritis in Thodi(Thygaraja or MD or Syama sastry) I started to appreciate the merugu" in his singing--the classics like Hariharaputhram,Entharo,Sree Subramanyaya namaste etc(the neraval in vasavadi-one could predict how the neraval would go how the swarams would flow--yet it would seem as if you heard it for the first time.(for example in the Kanada varnam Neranamithi invariably the first swarm would be (after the Charanam) -Ga Ma Dha Ni--(Sarasuda)-listen to any # of concerts--it would be the same--likewise the second piece would be Panthuvarali followed by Poorvikalyani--soemtimes the order would be reversed--the alapana would follow a set path or trajectory reaching the Mel Shadja in a flash
--generally the two rags are too proximate that they are rarely sung one after another but ARI broke those rules and can still bring out the difference promptly-listen to some of the present day musicians,,they would be ambivalent in their alapana and you would be speculating if it is Purvikalyani or panthuvarali.

Most importantly his performance never varied much from one concert to another and if you are looking for change of pace etc you would not find it.

My father worshipped the ground that ARI walked on and GNB and SSI would not STOP praising ARI's music---no formal obligatory courtesy opinion but genuine admiration--PMI openly averred that every vocalist should try to emulate ARI!!

arunk

Post by arunk »

I for some reason liked him from the beginning - a few specific tracks (mArubalka, Sri nArada and endaro) from MIO were perhaps instrumental. At that time I had not heard much GNB and SSI. I was sort of starting out into seriously listening past-masters and on reading up found ARI was a pioneer and gave him a try before trying GNB and SSI. Later on I enjoyed the expansiveness of GNB (I still remember once amazed when he started tAnam in tODi and me thinking "now how long was the alapana portion", and it was 1 hour!!!! It passed so quickly!), and the intensity of SSI (an RTP in kIravAni was the one which hooked me to SSI). I came to love their expansive renditions - that style.

But even now, when I listen to ARI - despite the tremor in the voice, despite the terseness of main songs (20-25 mins max), there seems to be a freshness, a feeling that the concert was laid out perfectly in proportion - every piece seems sumptuous. I cannot explain why. BTW, for me, his endaro is THE best (even more than MDR's - a singer who can truly shine with SrIraga, and sings endaro expansively, and a singer I very VERY highly regard)

Arun

mankuthimma

Post by mankuthimma »

A Beautiful passge from an essay by Chesterton that is so relevant for Ariyakudi
And another symbol from physical nature will express sufficiently well, the real place of mysticism before mankind. The one created thing, which we cannot look at, is the one thing in the light of which we look at everything.
Like the Sun at noonday, mysticism explains everything else by the blaze of its own victorious invisibility

Unquote
Ariyakudi's music is like that to me . Nothing explains the nature of the Title Poochi better than the way Ariyakaudi handles Sadhbhakthiyu.....
He is an immortal fluttering bee , hovering around the sweetest spots .
His sense of proportion is a Gift from the Gods.

varadharajan

Post by varadharajan »

The lack "ah ah's" in iyengArvAL's music is probably due to the quality of recordings available. Sadly not much of his quality recordings exist and whatever exists i assume it is after the mid fifties when he was way past his prime. My dad used to say that iyengArvAL's peak period was from 1930-1950..

When i first heard him sing at Allepey in 1952, i was totally spell bound..The kind of fluent ease with which he sang, be it "subramanyAya namasthE" or "oruthi maganAi pirandhu" simply blew me away.. It may sound so simple but when we try to sing like that, the sangathis just wont fall in place. Each and every phrase was so perfect, i initially thought that he had memorized everything, only to be later explained by semmangudi mama that such is the high degree of polished music that one can expect from iyengAr. Semmangudi mama told me that not even Poochi Iyengar could match iyengArvAL's presentation and the sense of proportion.

IyengArvAL to me was and shall remain to be the greatest reader of people's mind. He would read the collective opinion of the public within the varnam and would plan his concerts then and there. In fact i have seen people coming out of the concert boasting that iyengArvAL sang exactly what they had in their mind and hoping for those songs to be sung. And lastly as people discussed here, his sense of proportion is something which remains unmatched by musicians till date. His crisp niraval and one avarthana swaras is something which am sure many old timers will testify.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Ramasubramanian M.K wrote:we have a few reel-to-reel and cassette recordings languishing in my archives here in NY--need a VKV to help me-am afraid to even touch them!!---I have developed admiration for his music.
MKR Sir
You have to do something to those reels , perhaps those are the pre 1960 recordings(which only you have) which will give "doubting Thomas" like me to change my opinion from ariyAtha to ariyakudi . Possibly you can carefully bring that to chennai this season . I like his koteeswara iyer's krithi kalitheera vandarul in tOdi and parthAsarathi in madhyamAvati a lot.

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

rajeshnat wrote:Very good write up on ARI
http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/fr/2010/0 ... 050400.htm
The following statement appears in the article: "Dr. V. Raghavan attended as a representative of the Music Academy, the strained relations between Ariyakkudi and that organisation notwithstanding."

Does anyone know what this strained relation was about?

cacm

Post by cacm »

It had to do with M.A. giving M.S.S. MORE importance& prominence over ARI ACCORDING TO ARI. It was SUCCESSFULLY RESOLVED by MMI & he was probably the ONLY one who could do it because of the UNIVERSAL RESPECT all the artists had for MMI. VKV

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajesh,
I bet you're happy with all that has been said. No more to add except highlight what they said: viu viruppu (liveliness) jilu jiluppu (sparkle), a beautifully balanced edifice of a concert. Even then, I was partial to MMI, I've to admit.
kaccitam (terseness). While one can easily get a bit bored if more or less the same fare is served every time, in his case (and in MMI's), it did not happen. Even as a child whose attention wandered in a concert (unlike today's young ones who listen intently, bless them), I remember listening to him eagerly.
As for the balEs, I don't remember. Perhaps Rajamanickam Pillai and Chowdiah got them. Young Krishnan too? Anyway, he wouldn't have been lavish in them, I think!
Poochi's legacy truly came out in his tiruppAvai tuning. They all sound like a breeze, but a lot went into the process. About his off-sruti singing: it sounded fine. kAndalum oru ruci! , I've heard folks say about it (ever so slightly burned food can have a certain flavor too).!

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

mankuthimma wrote: Ariyakudi's music is like that to me . Nothing explains the nature of the Title Poochi better than the way Ariyakaudi handles Sadhbhakthiyu.....
The chiTTa swaram for this song presented by ARI in addition to the song itself is very enjoyable.

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

So much to write about the great man.

Rajeshnat_-your point about the reel-to-reel tapes--let me work on it. Re; your "pun" on Aiyakudi.ARI himself--the ever-inquisitive person that he was---he would barge in an intimate conversation between two people(both of them known to him as well!!) without even thinking it is breach of etiquette.Two instances.

One instance when he tried to butt-into the heated discussuions between two people, one of them disgusted at the intrusion--without bothering to find out who was the 'intruder" simply retorted, in Tamil "Ongalukku Theriyavendiya Vishyam Illai" to which ARI promptly replied Inda Ariyakudi ramanujanum Ariyakudiya (need to know)Viishayangal irukkalame Allava!!!.

Another inolving GNB and the late Babu Sir(the Secy of the Madras Music Academy-a staunch friend of ARI/PMI and GNB)--ARI approached them and asks the reason for the heated discussion--GNB says in Tamil--Engalukkulle Ayiram vishayam Irukkalam Neer Summa Irum--ARI promptly replies--Appadi Enral 500 500 aha Pangu vachhukka vendiadu Dane!!(why not split it into 500 each!!)

Srinivasa raghavan's point about anticipating/bowing to rasikas expectattons -- one incident that I was a witness to in a Bombay concert in the late fifties.

It was a pandal Kutcheri --no chairs/sofas--all seated on the floor My father and myself were sitting in the front row. --Midway thro--after the usual varnam-Purvikalyani-Panthuvarali krithis, my Father whispers to ARI loud enough for him to hear"Useniyai ellarum Maranduttele(All of you have forgotten Useni--lament that people were not singing Useni either as Kriti or in the Viruttam or Ragamalika swara).

ARI said Oh Beshaga(Oh sure!!) and rendered his Guru POOchi Iyengar's Krithi Sri Raghukula in Useni-much to the surprise of Rajam Iyer(perhaps it was not in the original list of songs planned!!). My father had not heard that song before--liked it so much that he requested ARI if he could instruct one of his disciples to teach that song for my sister who at that time was learning from one of ARI's older sishyas who had settled down in BOmbay--Mr. Ganesa Iyer(who I believe had borne the brunt of the strict Gurukulavasam that KVN and B Rajam Iyer had been spared later!!!)--promptly Mr.Ganesa Iyer taught that song to my sister and the next year when ARI visited Bombay my sister sang before him-he was pleased with the ARI bani that my sister had learnt(subsequently she learnt from KVN during our visits to Chennai during the summer vacations). ARI always had very high praise for DKP's Vidwath although he could be inexplicably neutral and lukewarm towards MS Amma's music!!!

arvindt

Post by arvindt »

Find it interesting that lot of members here say they find a lack of "a ha" moments in ARI's music. My
tastes seem to be diametrically opposite -- I find his music to be full of "a ha" moments! Almost any phrase
from any song, from any recording, is sung so beautifully, in shruti, in his sonorous voice, with
perfect proportion of gamaka -- it just elevates even a small kriti or a 3 minute alapana to a whole
different level.

rajeshnat, maybe try listening to his begada varnam (available from a 1958 concert recording).
This is only recording of begada by ARI I have come across, and it's only 3-5 minutes, but it is
brimming to the full with the essence of begada. Probably one of the best begadas in my mind.
Every phrase of the varnam falls into place so beautifully, in perfect synchrony with Mani Iyer's
strokes on the mridangam -- totally full of "aha moments", almost at the end of every tala avarthana!
For this reason, even 3-5 minutes of begada leaves me feeling fulfilled in a way that an hour
of begada by a different artist might not. And that concert has a superlative "endaro" in shri.
Again, you only have to marvel at the way sangatis fall in perfect precision -- one would be forgiven
for thinking Shri Thyagaraja composed the song to be sung by Ariyakudi and no one else!

For me, comparing with SSI or GNB (great masters in their right) -- ARI's voice appeals a lot more
to me than SSI -- it has a honey-like, layered texture I can't quite describe. Voice is a natural gift.
His patantharam and sangatis appeal to me personally compared to GNB's versions of the same
kritis (though some GNB versions were great too in their own way). His voice feels more resonant
and less formulaic than GNB in some key places. Can't really explain through the medium of text.

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

Coolji- Pl post ARI's vintage 'alaka' in madhyamavathi of Thyagaraja followed by Poochi's Poorvi Kalyani's song- 'parama pAvana rAma'

mankuthimma

Post by mankuthimma »

Yes Before that let me explain to Rajesh my tryst with Aha Oho ( Of course the merriest place where this phrase is used is in Mayabazar when that clown sings Aha nanna Maduvayanthe Oho Nanna Maduveyanthe .. ) :P

When I was a kid I remember two kinds of Luncheon invitations . One was with a very formal colleague of My Dad .
Lunch at his place was a terrifying experience for my Mom . I would stand up on the sofa and Mom would pull me down , I would open the Fridge to gape at the interiors (one of the earliest to be brought back from guys returning from Germany), I would insist on having a bite from the beautifully arranged apples on the Dining table and do a hundred other similar things .
That Lunch was an exquisite affair . with the hostess taking a week to plan the menu . And she would explain explain a lot . Very lovingly . Like her use of a very precious portion of rare kesari imported from Dubai for the Kheer . And a hundred other minute details about the days menu. I would be dying to slurp yet another glass of kheer , but that was a No No in that house .
That host *** Rao would even admonish my Dad - when do you propose to start civilising your son ?
The food would be great , but it would take a wider perspective to understand the beauty behind the whole afternoon. Right upto the napkins . Solemn was the only way I could describe the affair.

On other days , Dad would take us to lunch at another Colleague's house - one Mr Sahay - his Pillion partner on all his Bullet rides in the north east of India . As we entered the house , The host would guffaw from a Guava tree top , inviting us up.
As they lit their cigarettes , he would ask me to peep in , at the kitchen to see how the cooking was progressing . My mom would already be helping out with the poori rolling , here. At the first house she would barely manage to sit at the table without falling down .
Here , I would be running errands between the kitchen and the tree , carrying goodies for sampling by the two friends on top . And helping myself to a few munches, on the way . This Lunch would be extraordinary in its own way . Nothing special about the menu . Nothing flown in from a far off land . No sweets which were cut into artistic shapes . And certainly not an allround healthy meal as the dietician would put it .
But in terms of instantaneous effect this lunch had no parallel .
Four decades later I have come to understand the beauty behind both these servings . I dont have to tell you which one was like Ariyakudi's music and which one was Like MM Iyer's.
Today morning I plugged into Saraguna Palimpa of Ariyakudi and discovered the importance of that well laid out table .
Perfect in its smallest detail .
Blessed are those who can savour bot the delights . But it would be a pity to expect one at the other and viceversa.

VSM . Yes I will search out for a really nice rendering .
That is if Venkatakailasam does not do it before I do :P

fduddy

Post by fduddy »

Some of the other splendid renderings of parama pavana rama is of Nedunuri, KVN, MDR.
What goes into signature sries will be ariyakudi's (others include akshayalinga vibho, sri subramanyaya namasthe). These kruthis have become synonymous to ariyakudi.

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

Coolji- Very Good Analogy indeed!!!

narayan

Post by narayan »

mankuthimma wrote: Blessed are those who can savour bot the delights . But it would be a pity to expect one at the other and viceversa.
MT, very true, very true! Your anecdotal analogy is a wacky one, and well worth reading in its own right, even if it has nothing to do with anything at all. Thanks.
Last edited by narayan on 25 Oct 2010, 18:49, edited 1 time in total.

fduddy

Post by fduddy »

VSM
Here is pavana pavana rama in poorvikalyani
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?a2f0u6sn99emggx (Ariyakudi)
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?wj4uwc2dibsnxmr (Palghat K V Narayanaswamy)
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?vocq3af6j2w1h73 (Nedunuri Krishnanmurthy - 45 mins approx starting from 12th min in file 1))
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?o8iofp4wozd2kkz (MDR)

saraguna palimpa - kedaragowla
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?25krrrbw5o97w24

The nedunuri concert is excellent. Therefore I have put up the other 2 files also which will make it a full concert.
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?6kn4l67hr2o4kr5

akshayalingavibho (Ariyakudi)
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?62g226ly84ifojf
Last edited by fduddy on 25 Oct 2010, 20:07, edited 5 times in total.

mankuthimma

Post by mankuthimma »

And what about Sree Narada - Kanada . ???
Another Krithi where he has left his indelible stamp

fduddy

Post by fduddy »

mankuthimma wrote:And what about Sree Narada - Kanada . ???
Another Krithi where he has left his indelible stamp

Here u go

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?89o13ja17jxy137

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

fduddy- Thanks for all uploads! I need to download them one by one.

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

Is " Sri Venkatesham Varam" of Poochi in Thodi sung by ARI available ??
if available can u pl u/l ?

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

fduddy-Can u pl U/L the Kalyani RTP " thAraka brahma swarUpini" sung by ARI. I have heard this RTP almost 3 decdes back in an AIR program.

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

"Yes I will search out for a really nice rendering .
That is if Venkatakailasam does not do it before I do "

mankuthimma,Sir, Thank you if you meant it to be a compliment.
Any way, I waited for you to post but here is the link:
ARI 004-Ariyakudi -Alakalalla.mp3:Madyamavathi
Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/jifn53xy2yy
As for begada , in addition to the varnam, there is one more song by him in my files.
027-Ariyakudi-Elle-Ilam-Kiliye-Begada.mp3: Thirupavai
Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/rha44oaxaan35s9

varnam -028-Ariyakudi-Varnam-Inta-Chalamu--Begada.mp3: ( this runs for around 6mts.+)
Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/lbk1bxa1aw4ai6v

mankuthimma

Post by mankuthimma »

mankuthimma,Sir, Thank you if you meant it to be a compliment.
Yes . It was a compliment .
I know well , what it takes , to do your kind of work .

sruthi

Post by sruthi »

Ariyakudi documentary:
Part 1 - http://youtu.be/TJPMLeKKszc
Part 2 - http://youtu.be/jd6MVmn1OeQ

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

Thanks so much for the links. Remember seeing them quite a long time back in doordarshan

venkatakailasam

E Swara 007 Ariakudi Ramanuja Iyengar Sri Subramanyaya Namasthe Kambhoji Dikshadar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry_MzAcPyh8

An interesting episode..courtesy Ravi Sri...

In 1961, when the Paramacharya was camping near Karaikkudi, he came to know that Ariyakkudi was staying in Karaikkudi. The Swami sent for him. Ariyakkudi came and prostrated. 'Do you know why I have sent for you? I wanted to listen to srI subramaNyAya namastE. I know you sing it well.' Before Ariyakkudi could begin to sing, the Paramacharya told him, 'I don't know whether you sing the shankarAbharaNam kriti, 'shankarAchAryam'. It came via the Dhanammal family and they, Semmangudi Seenu and MS sing that song.' Then he repeated what he had told Dhanammal, but did not mention that he had corrected her. 'I know you sing the line (in srI subramaNyAya namastE) correctly as 'vIranuta guruguhAya ajnAna dvAnta savitrE'. Ariyakkudi went on to sing the song and later the Paramacharya bade him sing line by line and explained the meaning of each and every word to him.

venkatakailasam

E'-SWARA-006-Ariyakudi Ramanuja IYengar-Nitya Kalyani Ashta ragamalika

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOYXBWCFmek

venkatakailasam

Ariyakudi-Akshaya Lingam vibho Sankarabaranam Dikshadar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRark0NSeF4

matterwaves

Post by matterwaves »

I remember Coolji posting a radio concert of Sri Iyengar - comprising of Purandaradasa compositions. Could anybody post the same please? I seem to have lost it :(

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

advaitin- Many thanks for u/l above ARI's audio files.
Enjoyed listening these audios.

randomhari

Post by randomhari »

Is there a recording available of Kamalambam bhajare (Kalyani) by ARI (other than an old gramaphone record which i found in soundcloud.com)?

mridangamkid

Post by mridangamkid »

Here is a great recording I cut up of ARI singing a krithi I've never heard before. Kali Theera composed by Koteswara Iyer, I believe it was part of his 72 melakartha compositions. Honestly I think it is an absolute must listen, especially for fans of Thodi and/or thalam. The way he structures his neraval and kalpana swarams are simply amazing. Violin is out of this world as well.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/efjs9d