M.S. Subbulakshmi

Carnatic Musicians
vineyan

Re: M.S. Subbulakshmi

Post by vineyan »

MS sang only what was ordained by TS and she was fine with it. All these recordings now available came to the fore after the demise of TS/MS. In fact their family friend a long time associate Shri.Ra.Ganapathi recorded in an interview that when he asked whether curtailing her artistic imagination dampened her spirits she merely said she believed what Mama did would always be right

CRama

Post by CRama »

SOME MORE PALLAVIS SUNG BY MS.
Bhairavi
Govindanadi Mukundanadi Enakkavar Sondamadi- Roopakam
Velavane unadu padam tunaye Orarumughane Arumughane-K Jhampa 4 kalai
Begada
Kailasapathe Pasupathe Umapathe Namosthuthe- Adi 2 kalai
Saveri
Oru tharam Siva Chidambaramenru Uraithale Pothum Pothum- Adi tisra nadai

CRama

Post by CRama »

Somebody requested for Inthakannandamemi. I am giving one bonus for MS Centenery. RTP- IN Bhairavi- Govindandi Mukundanadi. Many will not have it. The following are the links.

Intha kannanadamemi- https://www.sendspace.com/file/uldclo

Govindanadi- part 1 https://www.sendspace.com/file/43so29

Govindanadi- part 2 https://www.sendspace.com/file/31175s

arunsri

Post by arunsri »

Power packed biLahari - any chance of posting other pieces of the concert?

kartheeksharma

Post by kartheeksharma »

CRama wrote:Somebody requested for Inthakannandamemi. I am giving one bonus for MS Centenery. RTP- IN Bhairavi- Govindandi Mukundanadi. Many will not have it. The following are the links.

Intha kannanadamemi- https://www.sendspace.com/file/uldclo

Govindanadi- part 1 https://www.sendspace.com/file/43so29

Govindanadi- part 2 https://www.sendspace.com/file/31175s
sir thank you so much for rare gem and please post links of Sankarabharanam- Yaro endrennamale,jo jo rama-ritigowla,sarasijanabha murare-todi and yerendru raghavanai if you have

enduku peddala file was shared by varsha ji if he permits me i can share it with you.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Jo jo rama and yarendru raghavanai- I do have. But have to search. I will give it as a MS birth day gift to all. Other songs, I could not lay my hands.

Now I got Enduku peddala.

cienu

Post by cienu »

Please find below an interview given by Smt Radha Viswanathan to a magazine called "SAAMAGAANA - The First Melody"
"Mother and Daughter in one voice"

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

It was touching to read, "My father lived his life for amma."

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

A very touching interview, Cienu! Thanks for sharing!

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

An article in Tamil (1944) by "Kalki" on the journey undertaken to film Meera .

கல்கி - 12 : மீரா யாத்திரை
மீரா யாத்திரை
‘கல்கி’
http://s-pasupathy.blogspot.com/2016/09/12.html

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Pasupathy wrote:An article in Tamil (1944) by "Kalki" on the journey undertaken to film Meera .

கல்கி - 12 : மீரா யாத்திரை
மீரா யாத்திரை
‘கல்கி’
http://s-pasupathy.blogspot.com/2016/09/12.html
Arasi/Sri Chellappa - this certainly is worth translating!

Aditto

Post by Aditto »

cienu wrote:Please find below an interview given by Smt Radha Viswanathan to a magazine called "SAAMAGAANA - The First Melody"
"Mother and Daughter in one voice"
Thanks for posting the link sir. Regarding the experience at Pittsburgh temple, the available recording has a small silence @ Jagannatha, (the volume of voice, violin, tambura & mridangam all become low) and again we hear MS again. Is this re-recorded? If yes, do we have the original?

Also, another question, out of curiosity, are there any recorded videos for concerts like this at such prestigious venues? Say for example, Live @ UN. We have only a bit of it available. Is there any chance the rasikas are given a treat to some vintage MS videos. You have uploaded as many as you can in parampara1916, but when it comes to MS, it is always 'Yeh Dil Maange More' :)

For people like me, who idolize MS and have not attended her concerts in live, it would always be a dream come true to see her singing from 60s/70s/80s.

Regards,
Aditya.

cienu

Post by cienu »

A link in today's "Hindustan Times" MSS and Ghalib
http://www.hindustantimes.com/books/be- ... 2GhhM.html

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Folks: re; Pasupathy's blog #1210==photograph of Ellis Dungan and Kalki.
The unidentified gentleman in the pic behind to the right of Dungan is Ananthnarayanan(Husband of TS Mam's favorite niece and the unanointed Governor of Kalki Gardens,nee Thangamma. he was also an extra actor amongst the male followers of MEERA and appears prominently in the final scene in Dwaraka when Meera gets Aikyam with Lord krishna.

So much for Trivia!!!

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

Thanks, MKR.

Can anyone tell me if a review of " Seva Sadanam" (1938) appeared in any magazine ( including Vikatan) ?
I know that Kalki wrote two reviews of "Sakunthalai" . Is there a book in which these two reviews can be found?

Ramasubramanian M.K

Pasupathi Sir--I am afraid I have not come across any review-if at all there was one it could be only in Vikatan because KALKI was not founded before 1941.

However you may try contacting Randor Guy who is an authority on these subjects--he writes columns about movie trivia. I will try to get his contacts details.

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

Thanks, MKR.

I have searched for Randor Guy's column on Seva Sadanam. But could not find any.

Yes, I was thinking of mainly Vikatan for the 38 movie seva sadanam-review . Since Kalki reviewed the first Tamil movie Kalidas (1931) in Vikatan , ( it is in my blog) I thought it is quite possible that he or someone else reviewed movies like Seva Sadanam ( after all the novel came in Vikatan!) in Vikatan.

Sadasivam made special efforts to get Kalki to review Sakunthalai, because he knew it would make the film a success! Did he not do it for Seva Sadanam ? If so, why not?

Unfortunately not being in India ties my hands a lot; and I do not seem to find any kindred spirit in India with similar curiosity who can clear my doubts!

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Please indulge me and read my tribute to MSS!

सुस्वरलक्ष्मीं सदा स्मरामि
सदासुमधुरां शिववामाङ्गाम्

षण्मुखजातां बालकोकिलाम्
भारतरत्नां विश्ववरेण्याम्

बहुतर-भावुक-भाषा-प्रतिभाम्
देशाद्यन्त-जनादरणीयाम्

वीणावादननिपुणां करुणाम्
वरवाग्गेय-सुधा-निरूपणाम्

परमाचार्य-नुताम् स्फुरिताम्
पञ्च-रत्नमाला-प्रसारिताम्

मैत्रीभजन्तीं श्रीकरनिरताम्
शतशतकोटि-स्मरां सदाशुभाम्
Last edited by Rsachi on 15 Sep 2016, 23:21, edited 4 times in total.

ramvmt

MS@100 - Endrendrum MS - God the only refuge

Post by ramvmt »

God is the only true friend of ours , he is our only refuge and the most meaningful act in our lives is the attempt to reach him. When the attempt has no strings attached it becomes Bhakti. Bhakti is nothing but an unconditional love for God.

This has been told to us by saints since time immemorial and some of them have composed beautiful verses and poems to make this clear to us. While some have chosen an ishata Devata , a favourite deity to portray their love to him , others have chosen the abstract form . Quite of lot of these portrayals are in simple language and are easy to follow if one chooses to understand. But something has make us to read these or somebody has to make us hear them Both these are not easy !

A voice that compels you hear it and hear it again innumerable times is that of Smt. M. S. Subbulakshmi who completes a 100 years today ! Her nectarine voice laden with bhakti leads to the doors of our creator and urges us to seek his refuge.

Enlisted are a few songs by her which to me urges this emotions strongly In me .
http://vasanthamemorial.com/ms@100.php

Ramasubramanian M.K

Pasupathy Sir: Do not lose heart. I will also try to get to Randor Guy. TS worked for Vikatan when Sevasadanam was shot. He had no influence/say in anything other than Advertising--besides there was an undercurrent of animosity between the two(Vasan/TS) with both parties being both mutually respectful and fearful of each other,that may have inhibited TS's normal aggressive promotion of MSAmma.(Ofcourse this has no relevance to your query--just offered as a plausible motive for the non-review!!). In addition at that time the Producer-Director K.Subramanyam was still a rising star but not influential enough to get his work reviewed. yet there is no doubt that the film had commercial success and I am sure must have drawn the attention of the periodicals other than Vikatan at that time. In any case it certainly caught the attention of Lakshmikanthan--Editor/Publisher of the INDUNESAN for him to to indulge in some scurrilous writing about MSAmma besides other actors/actresses of those times. It certainly would not have been a favorable review if at all it existed!!!!!

Ramasubramanian M.K

Folks: Look for the Hindu Friday review--an article on the friendship between my mother (Chinnani) and M.S.Amma as both their birthdays fall in the month of September. The article is by my nephew Bala Shankar who writes reviews for the Hindus during the December season in Chennai.

varsha

Post by varsha »

was shared by varsha ji if he permits me
Oh! Who am I; a mere fly on the wall before the queen of song. Go ahead and share.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

The Hindu Friday review carries articles on MS other than by Sri Bala Sankar:
http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp ... dayreview/

advaitin

Post by advaitin »

http://www.mathrubhumi.com/movies-music ... -1.1358171

another piece in today's Malayalam newspaper. not a quote from the book.

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

Birth Anniversary of the Legend -Nightingale..

குயிலொன்று கூவுதம்மா!
கானகுயிலொன்று கூவுதம்மா!
வேங்கடவனை துயிலெழெப்பதம்மா!
ரங்கபுரனை விழிக்குதம்மா!
கோவிந்தனை பஜிக்கதம்மா!
கானகுயிலின் ஜய ஜய சங்கரா
அகிலமெல்லாம் ஒலிக்குதம்மா!
நாதத்தினுள் இசையாக
இசையினுள் இறைவனாக
உள்ளத்தின் உள்ளேயும்
நிறைந்து நிற்கின்ற
கலைமகளின் தலைமகளே!
அருளை போற்றும் விருத்தங்கள்
பல உண்டு என் வருத்தங்களை நீக்க!
எத்தனை முறை கேட்டாலும் அலுக்காத
சலிக்காத மெய் சிலிர்கவைக்கும் விருத்தங்களை
கேட்டு கேட்டு பரவசமடைந்தேன்!
சங்கீதமே! வாணி இசைக்கும்
நாதமன்றோ உன் குரல்!
சாவேரியில் விழைத்தாய்!
மோகனத்தில் இசைத்தாய்!
சராமதியை சாமனுருவில் கண்டாய்!
தோடிக்கு ராகம் பாடி
பிலஹரிக்கு பல்லவி தேடி..
பைரவிக்கு நிரவல் கூட்டி..
நாட்டையுடன் பூபாளமும் பாடி
சந்தன குழம்பு மணக்க..
ராக மாலையும் சூட்டி
ரசிகர்களை ஆட்கொண்டாய்! venkat k

kuyilonRu kUvudammA!
kAnaguyilonRu kUvudammA!
vE#ngaDavanai tuyilezheppadammA!
ra#ngaburanai vizhikkudammA!
kOvindanai pajikkadammA!
kAnaguyilin jaya jaya sa#ngarA
agilamellAm olikkudammA!
nAdattinuL isaiyAg
isaiyinuL iRaivanAg
uLLattin uLLEyum
niRaindu niRginR
kalaimagaLin talaimagaLE!
aruLai pOTRum virutta#ngaL
pala uNDu en varutta#ngaLai nIkka!
ettanai muRai kETTAlum alukkAd
salikkAda mey silirgavaikkum virutta#ngaLai
kETTu kETTu paravasamaDaindEn!
sa#ngIdamE! vANi isaikkum
nAdamanRO un kural!
sAvEriyil vizhaittAy!
mOganattil isaittAy!
sarAmadiyai sAmanuruvil kaNDAy!
tODikku rAgam pADi
pilaharikku pallavi tEDi..
pairavikku niraval kUTTi..
nATTaiyuDan pUbALamum pADi
sandana kuzhambu maNakka..
rAga mAlaiyum sUTTi
rasigargaLai ATgoNDAy! venkat k

+ Printable View

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

06-thiruvaruLperavE_nAn - pUrvikalyANi-MSS - 1296..

Listen at;

http://www.4shared.com/mp3/P1ACujONce/0 ... _pUrv.html

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

Ads about some M.S. 78 rpm Records
சங்கீத சங்கதிகள் - 91
எம்.எஸ். இசைத்தட்டு விளம்பரங்கள் !
செப்டம்பர் 16. எம். எஸ் -இன் பிறந்த நாள்.
http://s-pasupathy.blogspot.com/2016/09/91.html

varsha

Post by varsha »

CRama

Post by CRama »

MS REPERTOIRE- SOME MORE SONGS
Kalyani
Ninnu vina gati gana
Sankarabharanam
Idu nalla tarunam
Begada
Sankari neeve
Poorvikalyani
Tiruvarul perave
Nadanamakriya
Pitha pirai soodi
Chitham eppadiyo
Sudhasaveri
Padalam
Behag
Panniru karathoney

sankark

Post by sankark »

Wow! Thank you so much varsha.

Year?

varsha

Post by varsha »

Year ..only Cienu can tell :)

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

CRama

Post by CRama »

Thanks a lot varsha.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Mangaiyar Malar was devoting 2-3 pages for MS all through the centenary year. Gowri Ramanarayan confirms that Paramacharya arranged the recording of Balaji Pancharatnamala to help the family.
It was in a way sad because the serial has ended.
I was dreading another disappointment in DD Podhikai, but Viday Kalyanaraman, who has done a nice job as sweet as her singing, announced to my great joy that it would continue.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

It was interesting to read an old interview with MS> She is clear about the part of 'non-classical' pieces in classical concerts:
our programmes have been a blend of classical and light classical pieces, including devotional songs. What is your reaction to the view that such a “mixture”, to some extent detracts from the value of classical music?

I catch the point. In a Karnataka music concert, like any Hindustani concert, the heavy classical items like raga alapana, kriti, swara singing, tanam and pallavi come first and occupy the major part of the time. I still maintain this pattern when I sing to a south Indian audience. Towards the close of the concert, we sing padams, javalis, tillanas, ragamalikas and bhajans (south Indian style), just as thumris, ghazals and bhajans come after khayal in Hindustani concerts. When I sing to a mixed audience,

I change my pattern slightly and sing a few bhajans in the middle of the concert because many north Indians are eager to hear them in preference to Karnataka classical items.

One should remember here that kritis and kirtans, which represent the peak of classical music in the Karnataka system, are also devotional in character, although cast in a different mould. In my opinion, an occasional mixture of this kind will not detract from the value of classical music.

Full interview:
http://swarajyamag.com/from-the-archive ... bbulakshmi

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

A tribute from The Sunday Standard reproduced in Swarajya:
http://swarajyamag.com/from-the-archive ... e-of-india

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Today is the birthday of MS according to Tamizh tradition. It is her birth star, apabharani. The pamchami tithti also sets in by 12 noon.

sitaky

M.S' celebration at her home town- reported in the Hindu

Post by sitaky »

When the city reminisced about M.S.

RAJALAKSHMI PADMANABHAN

Nisha Rajagopal presented a vocal performance to the accompaniment of R. Rahul on violin and Vijay Natesan on mridangam, on the first day of M.S.Subbulakshmi memorial concerts that commenced at Sri Sadguru Sangeetha Samajam.

Nisha began with ‘Era Napai’ in ‘Todi’, and followed it up with short compositions. Her alapana in ‘Pantuvarali’ for Tyagaraja kriti ‘Enna Ganu Rama’ was evocative of the meditative spirit of the raga.

The next few songs were those that the audience always identify with M.S. Subbulakshmi: ‘Ranga puravihara’ in ‘Brindavana Saranga’ by Dikshithar and ‘Bhogindra sayinam’ in ‘Kuntala Varali’ by Swati Tirunal, ‘Nanati badhuku’ by Annamacharya in ‘Revathi’, ‘Anandam en solveno” from the film ‘Sakunthalai’ and the stately ‘Kurai onrum illai’.

Keeping in mind the number of students who were assembled at the hall, Sriranjini Santanagopalan presented rare compositions in her concert such as Patnam Subramanya Iyer’s ‘Garuda gamana samayamide’ in ‘Naagaswaraavali’. She drew the rasikas’ attention to the beauty of the phrase “amudanaya iniya muthamizh” from ‘Devi neeye tunai’ in ‘Keeravani’ by Sivan. The two other songs she sang on the fish-eyed goddess were Shyama Shastri’s ‘Meena lochana brova’ and the M.S. favourite ‘Saroja dala netri.’

She then took up the challenging ‘Nagumomu’ in Abheri, with support from N. Sampath on violin, Sumesh Narayanan on mridangam and K.V. Gopalakrishnan on ganjira. The concert ended with ‘Kurai Onrum Illai’. The singer’s energy and creativity went well with the audience. The programme on the third day was a jugalbandhi of Hindustani and Carnatic music by violinists Lalgudi G. Krishnan on violin, Sriram Parasuram on mridangam, and Palladam Ravi on mrudangam and Rajendra Nagot played table. The performers played ragas that are named differently in these parallel traditions, such as ‘Nattai’ and ‘Jog’, and ‘Purvi Kalyani’ and ‘Pooryakalyan’. They strove to bring out the vibrancy of their styles and performed with scintillating exuberance.

The mridangist and tabla rose to the occasion with high energy beats. The audience, who were not used to the North Indian style and accustomed to a traditional Carnatic music were pleasantly surprised and intrigued.

Sumitra Vasudevan began with Mysore Vasudevacharya’s ‘Pranamamyaham’ in Goulai. She then sang Syama Sastri’s ‘Marivere’ in Ananda Bhairavi. Sivan’s ‘Kanda Vandarul’ in Aberi was followed by an upbeat alapana in ‘Mohanam’ for Dikshitar’s ‘Kadambaripriya’ . The violinist, N.C. Madhavan, made a mark with his melodious improvisations, while Kallidaikurichi Sivakumar played mridangam ably. The final songs were in Tamil: ‘Varugirano’, ‘Sadasiva bhajana’ and ‘Enna solli azhaithal’.

Gayatri Girish was mindful of beginning with an M.S. favourite, ‘Sriman Narayana.’ She also dedicated one song to the Acharya of Kanchi, beginning ‘Enna perum thavam’. Her alapana in ‘Sudha Danyasi’ for ‘Azhaga’ and in ‘Simhendra Madyamam’ were much to the taste of the listeners, who also appreciated violinist B.U. Ganesh Prasad for his grasp of the singer’s creative phrases and the majestic beats of Mannargudi Balaji on mridangam and Alathur Rajaganesh on kanjira.

What impressed the audience the most was an outstanding ‘Raga Malika’, specially composed on M.S. Subbulakshmi by Sangeetha vidwan Sri Gottuvadyam Ravi Kiran. Gayatri Girish received this year’s Meenakshi Award.

The final day celebrations were held at Chamber Auditorium and was organised by Bharathi Yuvakendra and Anugrathin Anushanm, where Nityasree Mahadevan was given M.S. Award for music. Indira Soundararajan, renowned author, presided over the function. Sankaralingam, Commissioner of Income Tax, was the chief guest. Nityasree performed several compositions that were made popular by M.S. She was ably supported by M.A. Krishnaswamy on violin, I. Shivakumar on mridangam and Trichy Krishnasamy on ghatam
18/09/2016
Rajalakshmi Padmanabhan

Ramasubramanian M.K

Folks:In case you missed this in "The Hindu"
http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp ... sliderNews.

The writer is my nephew Bala Shankar. Forumites may be familiar with some of the anecdotes from my previous postings .

suriyanmr

Post by suriyanmr »

Rsachi wrote:Respected all (especially Cienu!),
In y'day's repeat telecast of Kurai Onrum Illai, V Sriram mentioned that MSS concluded her SK acceptance speech with a beautiful shloka with this meaning (I quote roughly from memory): "to the mother in Madurai who played the veena gracefully and breastfed me with music, my obeisance." He wondered aloud whose composition this shloka could have been.
To my mind, this looks like a shloka penned on the spot by someone like Dr V Raghavan at MSS's request expressing her sentiments towards her beloved mother.

I couldn't find the words of the shloka at MSSTribute.org

If anyone can give the words, and also throw light on the composer etc., I would be grateful!
Thanks in advance,
Sachi R.
The couplet is from the Amba Navarathna Mala, second verse, composed by Sri Kalidasa. Sourced from the complete text of the acceptance speech M S Subbulakshmi (re)published in Kalki weekly's deepavali annual special number 2015.

இடத்தோளில் வீணையைச் சாய்த்துக்கொண்டு, ஆச்சார்ய ரூபத்தில் எழுந்தருளி, தயை பெருக்கி, வரம் நல்கும் ஸங்கீத மாதாவை வணங்குகிறேன் !
தயாமான தீர்க்க நயனாம் தேஸிக ரூபேண தர்சிதாப்யுதயாம்
வாமாகுச நிஹித வீணாம் வரதாம் சங்கீத மாத்ருகாம் வந்தே.

Smt M S used to sing the fifth verse of the same composition (sa Ri ga ma pa danira dantham) as a fitting prelude to the chittaranjani krithi of sri thayagaraja, Nadhathanum anisam.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Thank you, Mr. Suriyan,
but sorry I can't read Tamil. If a Sanskrit text can be shared, I will be very grateful!

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Amba navaratna malika link:
http://stotram.co.in/navaratnamala-by-kalidasa/

दयमानदीर्घनयनां देसिकरूपेणदर्शिताभ्युदयाम् ।
वामकुचनिहितवीणां वरदां सङ्गीतमातृकां वन्दे ॥

RSR

information about MS Amma's photo

Post by RSR »

This absolutely endearing photo was posted by the admin of Tribute to m.s.subbulakshmi. Is it Radha in the picture? or MS as a child ,herself? Intriguing. but lovely.... May I have information from rasikas who had the good fortune to move closely in that family?
https://sites.google.com/site/rsrtrials ... icture-who

( please note. this is a temporary link)

RSR

Post by RSR »

#1103..SrinathK... Soulmate! .. Almost all the songs in Hindi Meera were divine ( as in Tamil version). This particular song is a gem. . Nivedhitha Ramakrishnan ( ( I think , she is hiding somewhere in this forum behind a moniker) had done great service by uploading all the songs from Hindi Meera. including this. Somehow, saregama muted many of the uploads in youtube. .. I am an ardent devotee of MS of those years. for her excellent voice from 1936(20) to say, 1966(50) . I sometimes wish that she had stopped giving concerts after 1966! that too after the advent of Video nuisance . Thereafter her voice did not have the earlier sweetness and abandon. Thanks to your link, I reclaimed this song just now. Kindly do not give youtube links. .. Find some other method. As people like us are interested in her music, it is better to extract the mp3 from the youtube and then place the mp3 in google-drive. Rasikas can download and listen. We can make it private for circulation thereby avoiding copyright issues. ..Thanks a Ton.

Ramasubramanian M.K

Dear RSR: I would place this pic in the early forties. I do not think it is Radha,not Gowri either because she was not born then.
Perhaps Cienu can help us out with his mother's help.

varsha

Post by varsha »

https://www.mediafire.com/?d3tsi8ta5vxuisx
MSS-TR-KM
A brilliant flash of kAnaDa in rAgamalika

Aditto

Post by Aditto »

varsha wrote:https://www.mediafire.com/?d3tsi8ta5vxuisx
MSS-TR-KM
A brilliant flash of kAnaDa in rAgamalika
Indeed....just wow......MS , she is magic ... she will leave the listener wanting for more music....

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

Smt M.S.Subbulakshmi & Smt Radha Viswanathan -
Multi-lingual Invocation (5 languages)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLDQzxO ... Dzz5ad4LI4

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

M.S. Subbulakshmi
1935 Broadcast Record

Enakkun iru padam - Ragamalika - Part 1 & 2 :-