M.S. Subbulakshmi

Carnatic Musicians
advaitam

Re: M.S. Subbulakshmi

Post by advaitam »

Yes Visalam amma has always been a great aide to MS Amma and TS Mama. The support and meticulous attention to detail that she had are nigh impossible to come by in this age of instant gratification, often at the cost of the niceties of life. I guess we are all in for a wonderful Deepavali bonanza with the latest 2 uploads at Paramparaa1916:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adOnkPMl ... er&list=UL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2va-uQu ... ideo_title
Wishing one and all a safe, healthy and joyous Deepavali!

advaitam

Post by advaitam »

Here is a scintillating Ragam-Tanam-Pallavi in Thodi sung by our beloved MS Amma in Jaffna, Ceylon, in 1958! Words fail to describe the beauty and majestic grace of this Thodi! I quote here from a very "distinguished, discerning and dispassionate" critic of the yesteryears who had this to say of MS Amma's finely spun technique - "the Akara-s, the birka-s and the ravaijati sangati-s, flawless in their purity, are done with astonishing exactitude, definition and distinctness. The minutest of the starry scintillations of her notes possesses a vividness in the artistic patterns of luxurious ornamentation. Her gamakas are marvels of grace, finely linked. The ascending and descending glides, the curves and odukkals are executed with perfect mastery of ghana-naya variations". These words manage to capture, atleast to an appreciable level, the unique and scientifically perfect manodharma technique of the colossus that is Smt MSS. Thank you Ceinu sir for this "pokkisham" of the highest order! Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72TYxGfC0OY

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Advaitham--scintillating--Parampara1916 should be thanked for posting this. Note how the TNR style is in full force in the Alapana--the sancharas especially in the Mel Sthayi Madhyamam and in the lower octaves--the fibrillations typical of TNR(he was a great admirer of MS AMMa's Vidwath. This looks like a concert where MS Amma simply let her imagination soar confounding critics who secretly carped at the "sameness" in her raga Alapana accentuating her sweet melodious voice as if it was an escape from doing the rigors of CM music!! Mama(TS) generally felt that music rendered with devotion and sincerity was more important than trying to please the carping critics and that was the reason why he was not in favor of such dazzling displays.This Raga elaboration is a testament to MSAmma's claim that she is capable of demonstrating her vidwath without having to trade on her natural voice. She once told me that "some people think I am not capable of intricate pallavis or I avoid them for fear of failure.This is far from the truth--even Mazaharayanendal Subbarama Bhagavathar --who is known for his complex pallavis--has complimented me on my Laya prowess and even taught me a few "--Mama again took the same position- the stage is not a circus ring where you demonstrate things that ordinary mortals cannot do--if there is balance in your concert an objective audience will take note and critics who are determined to undermine the music to whet their own prejudices need not be coddled.

In the Wesleyan concert in the US in 1977 deferring to Viswa Sir, she attempted an elegant and yet intricate pallavi in Dharmavathi(kanda jathi triputa-Chathusra nadai) and the trikalam,anulomam,prathilomam( I am no layam expert but I am quoting the experts who heard that concert including Viswa Sir!!) were done flawlessly-Guruvayoor Dorai accompanied her and I am sure he could testify to MS Amma's layam prowess!!.
It was always a delight in the private sessions that Mami would chafe under a baseless and thoughtless remark made by some critic about an aspect of Mami's music( there were enough tattle-talers amongst the visitors to Kalki Gardens) and Mami would rebut the criticism(second-hand ofcourse -heaven knows what was said and what was interpreted and what was conveyed by the tattle-talers) with a demo--be it a pallavi or a raga exposition(different from the standard ones that she would render to the concert audiences).

I must acknowledge these impromptu demonstrations helped me disabuse my earlier impressions of a stale,repetitive rendering style when it came to Raga alapanas/choice of Krithis--that she was capable of the most intricate nuances of our Music but trusted Mama's(TS) sense of aesthetics and form designed to exploit her greatest strengths--melody,devotion--the result is that today all over the World her music is understood and appreciated.

In my next post I will try to identify some of the characters appearing in the Video of Parampara--some of them have a little history of their own in the Saga!!

advaitam

Post by advaitam »

Your words must be etched in gold for all eternity MKR sir!! This is exactly what I have been telling many modern naysayers of Amma's music, who comment on her music without even understanding the expanse of her knowledge and prowess! To know that MS Amma herself demonstrated from time-to-time her grasp of the intricacies of Sangeetha Shastra is very heartening, despite the fact that there was no need for her to do it! (TS mama was right in that she was above these "circus ring demonstrations"!) To understand the beauty of "less is more" needs a very high level of maturity and aesthetic evolution! MS Amma, and a host of old-time greats, exemplified and epitomised this philosophy. I remember being told by sources who were close to ARI, that ARI often used to practice a lot of intricate pallavi-s and laya exercises during the practice sessions at Allepey Venkatesan's father's place, along with TNK and PMI, often confounding the two. When asked why he didn't perform these on stage he used to say that there was a singular "medai dharmam" (dharma for the concert platform) which didn't warrant such displays of one's prowess....this was only for his own personal practice! Acrobatic exercises when performed uninhibited on stage can quickly deteriorate into cheap and bawdy fare. As SSI once said, "Mitam, mitam, mitam - the 3 secrets to good music!"

Coming back to your post, I am eagerly awaiting your anecdotes on the characters in the photos....always something to look forward to :D

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Another way to think about this is, when in 'production mode' do not operate at the edges. Be in the middle, otherwise you risk falling off the edges. This is applicable to all walks of life. But you need to operate at the edges in non-production environments which lets you hone the skills. But more importantly, it lets you know where the center is. Because how will you know where the center is when you do not know where the edges are!

Ramasubramanian M.K

Advaitham/Vasanthakokilam: Youboth make good points-VK I like your analogy about the edges and the center. The idea of restraint/mitham and avoid overindulgence reminds me of an anecdote my uncle told me about Harikesanallur Muthiah Bhagavathar:
About Sruthi Bedam or any exercise from the "norm" . It goes like this:
You build a nice modern house and to give it some architectural uniqueness you make the windows very broad with wide spaces between the bars (without the conventional theft-deterrent tight windows!!) enough for human beings to crawl thro. To demonstrate this you keep entering the house thro the window instead of entering thro the front door which is also very elegant architecturally. You do it once it is a novelty-do it repeatedly robs it of the purpose"

TKM used to put down the excessive Kanakku in swarams,saying,if you tickle a person once when he least expects it it may be fun and OK--but if you keep tickling all the time,the charm is lost and it becomes a nuisance--mind you he was no slouch when it came to anticipation or alertness while playing.

All the stalwarts of that era (ARI/Chembai/SSI/GNB/MMI/Alathur) did not feel compelled to demonstrate the other person's forte--be it a rare raga exposition or a tricky swara Korvai (as if to prove I can also do it!!) and if audiences typecast them as incapable of other styles ,so be it!!!

Once my father asked Palghat Mani Iyer whether he has been ever nonplussed by some legitimate vishamam(!) by the vocalist, he used to say frankly YES--but once I find out upon quick reflection my reflexes take over and I will weave several patterns that even the vocalist would not have dreamt (comment: This should not be interpreted as a boast by PMI but as an insight to his sharpness and concentration!!).

I think this approach would help us all --genuine rasikas when we attend our favorite artist's performance --when that artist eschews a certain style or trait, that we found in another artiste and say so-and-so is better at this than this artiste,we need to resist the temptation to assume the artiste lacks that skill. GNB used to sum it up by saying :Nan Sarasasamadhana Padum Pozhudu Madurai Mani Iyer madiri Illaye enru ninikkadey" and then to snub the rasikas he would say Nan Koduthal Mattum Poradu,Onakku Eduthaka Theriyanum". Enjoy what I am offering instead of letting your mind wandering all over. This applies to Music as well as religious discourses(Whether the Sundara kandam was better expounded by Anantharama Dikshithar or Sundar Kumar!!).

arasi

Post by arasi »

That 'mODi kiRukkudaDi talaiyai' tODi!
Thank you advaitam!

MKR,
As always, thanks for your posts which bring home to us the beauty of the life of such a soul which pulsated with music!
When I heard that tODi, I realized how true my words for her were in my song gAnak kuyil onRu...

nAdamadin nADiyAm, nammai Irkka vanda AnmIga uruvAm...

Aditto

Post by Aditto »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVhw36hVqkU

Cienu Sir,

any idea about this concert and the occassion?

Regards,
Aditya.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

I noticed somthing in this rendering of bArE pANDurangA - in O rangaSAyI, the word is pronounced as ranga, while in bArE pANDurangA, it is pronounced differently, probably as rengA - people versed in marAThi can comment - it may go towards the care Smts. MSS and RV exercised to attain authentic pronunciation in various languages.

cienu

Post by cienu »

Aditto wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVhw36hVqkU

Cienu Sir,

any idea about this concert and the occassion?

Regards,
Aditya.
This was a concert in the city of Pune under the auspices of "Poona Sangeetha Sabha" in the year 1974. A picture of this concert is the cover page of the book "MS & Radha - Saga of Steadfast Devotion".

doyoucare

Post by doyoucare »

advaitam wrote: (TS mama was right in that she was above these "circus ring demonstrations"!) To understand the beauty of "less is more" needs a very high level of maturity and aesthetic evolution!
Statements like these totally trivialize accomplishments of vidwans like Alathur brothers, TNS, TRS - to name a few!
advaitam wrote: I remember being told by sources who were close to ARI, that ARI often used to practice a lot of intricate pallavi-s and laya exercises during the practice sessions at Allepey Venkatesan's father's place, along with TNK and PMI, often confounding the two. When asked why he didn't perform these on stage he used to say that there was a singular "medai dharmam" (dharma for the concert platform) which didn't warrant such displays of one's prowess....
Sounds like stories told by my grand-uncle about MDR's prowess of singing "pori parakkum" thillanas and Chitti Babu's incredible prowess at rendering vilamba kala Dikshitar and Tyagaraja krithis ;)

doyoucare

Post by doyoucare »

advaitam wrote: Acrobatic exercises when performed uninhibited on stage can quickly deteriorate into cheap and bawdy fare. As SSI once said, "Mitam, mitam, mitam - the 3 secrets to good music!"
Yup...he exemplified this in his renditions of marubalka and kshinamai :@

doyoucare

Post by doyoucare »

Ramasubramanian M.K wrote:Once my father asked Palghat Mani Iyer whether he has been ever nonplussed by some legitimate vishamam(!) by the vocalist, he used to say frankly YES--but once I find out upon quick reflection my reflexes take over and I will weave several patterns that even the vocalist would not have dreamt (comment: This should not be interpreted as a boast by PMI but as an insight to his sharpness and concentration!!).
How is that not a boast? :) And let me quickly add that there is nothing wrong if it is a boast. PMI let his artistry speak for itself - he had nothing to prove to anyone! There is no need for us to (interpret and) apologize for him, if he really did say that. He probably strongly believed in his ability - all great artistes have that air of confidence about them.

Ramasubramanian M.K

Doyou care: I must state that PMI never volunteered that remark--PMI was an extremely reticent and cautious man when it came to offering comments or remarks--my father used to provoke him several times about his tryst with Dakshinamurthy Pillai et al and he had nothing but genuine respect for those artistes.
I still maintain that in the context within which the question was couched his remark was not a boast!!
By the way there was no attempt to apologise for or interpret the remark!!!

advaitam

Post by advaitam »

doyoucare wrote: Statements like these totally trivialize accomplishments of vidwans like Alathur brothers, TNS, TRS - to name a few!
Doyoucare: No it doesn't. Your flawed understanding lies where you think that any of these great artistes engage(d) in "circus ring demonstrations".
Alathur Brothers always showed admirable aesthetic restraint in their manodharma, never over-stepping or over-doing anything (in case of doubt, please listen to their recordings more closely). Infact Alathur Subbaiyar was a great source of inspiration to MSS and in turn was also a great admirer of her manodharma skills. Often when he used to come to Madras from Trichy, after freshening up, he would head straight to Kalki Gardens for an extended music session. He was very fond of "kunukku" (a fried savoury) which used to be prepared everytime he visited Kalki Gardens.
TNS has evolved a unique style of manodharma based on his expansive ideas. Ditto TRS. To say that my statement trivialises their music means that you are claiming that they lack(ed) aesthetics and engage(d) in cheap tricks and demonstrations of their manodharma in order to gain cheap applause - they definitely do/did no such thing!
doyoucare wrote:Sounds like stories told by my grand-uncle about MDR's prowess of singing "pori parakkum" thillanas and Chitti Babu's incredible prowess at rendering vilamba kala Dikshitar and Tyagaraja krithis ;)
Again you seem to be insinuating that MDR was incapable of singing at a higher speed and Chitti Babu was incapable of serious "chowka" kala compositions. In both cases you are very sadly mistaken, showing only your utter lack of understanding of the expanse of these musical giants. TNS had very candidly spoken about Chitti Babu in a private setting many years ago, speaking very highly of his vidwat and grasp of Shastra-ic music. When somebody interjected him and took up Balachander's name, he said, "Balachander is a great genius no doubt (I believe the word he used was 'asakaaya sooran'), his technique is flawless, but the sweetness that Chitti Babu induces into the Veena is a treasure bequeathed unto him alone!" These are not mere "stories" to glorify these titans. There is quite a bit of truth in them, even if you do wish to discount hear-say exaggerations.

advaitam

Post by advaitam »

Ramasubramanian M.K wrote: In my next post I will try to identify some of the characters appearing in the Video of Parampara--some of them have a little history of their own in the Saga!!
MKR sir....still awaiting this post! :D

advaitam

Post by advaitam »

doyoucare wrote: Yup...he exemplified this in his renditions of marubalka and kshinamai :@
You have commented here without understanding the meaning of the word "mitham". Your utter disregard for SSI's renditions is regrettable indeed. I think you need to apply a lot of "mitham" in your comments.

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

Removed as it is found to be a copyrighted material.
sorry..

advaitam

Post by advaitam »

Latest upload at Paramparaa1916 is a vintage video of the mother-daughter duo performing Indira Devi's "Ghungharu Baandh" in raga Sindhubhairavi. The point where despite forgetting the words, they retain their calm and recall the correct words to finish with a flourish is a treat to watch. A true lesson to all vidyarthi-s of music. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaW9UKYW ... ideo_title This concert was performed soon after Smt Radha recovered from her illness in 1983.

cienu

Post by cienu »

On the eve of being honored with the Lifetime Achievement Award from Brahma Gana Sabha, Deccan Chronicle had carried an interview with Smt Radha Viswanathan which appeared in the print edition on Dec 11th 2011.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Very nice interview, Cienu! Is there a video recording of the 1977 performance your mother talks about?

cienu

Post by cienu »

Thanks Ravi. Unfortunately no video was taken. A photo of her dancing at the "Surdas Samaroh" appears in the book "MS & Radha - Saga of Steadfast Devotion"

advaitam

Post by advaitam »

Wishing all a very happy 2012! May all achieve musical bliss in this coming year! Here is the latest aural treat from Paramparaa1916: MSS live at Thiruvaiyaru Thyagarajotsavam, 7th January, 1980: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9E548A69C103C535

cacm

Post by cacm »

Dear Cienu,
please email me at: vkv@juno.com I need to get in touch with you reg. an important matter. vkv

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Mrs M.S. Subbulakshmi SadAsivam and Chinnani ( Mrs Narayani Mahadevan)

mohan

Post by mohan »

rajeshnat wrote:Mrs M.S. Subbulakshmi SadAsivam and Chinnani ( Mrs Narayani Mahadevan)
also see http://www.hindu.com/fr/2004/09/17/stor ... 430601.htm

Ramasubramanian M.K

Forumites: The lady with MSS is my mother Chinnani(Mrs. Narayani Mahadevan)--they were "thick" friends for over 60 years My Mother still broods over her friends loss--my Mother is 93 and can recall with remarkable clarity(although she may not be able to recite the names of her 15 Great Grandchildren!!!) every aspect of her association with MSS.--an anecdote:
The Sadasivams used to visit my parents (living with my brother in R.APuram Chennai) in the eighties/nineties quite frequently. In 1992,when I was visiting India from the US,on one day Sadasivam Mama asked "Kunjamma -you may recall we met Chinnani/Mahadevan in Calcutta in 1942(for the Savithri film shooting) and this will be your 50th year of association with your "Friend"--should we not celebrate the event?--Immediately we all sprung into action and at short notice arranged for an intimate get together(with Radha and Vijaya with their spouses besides Athma--we had ordered a cake with the inscription'Celebrating 50 years of friendship with both the names Kunjamma and Chinnani--I will post this pic if I can get some tech assistance from my folks to scan and put it!!). But the bakery Guy mistakenly put 60 instead of fifty and Mama remarked to my Mother and Mami--so you both better live another 10 years--Mama died 5 years later and Mami died 12 years later so that Mama's prophesy was fulfilled!!!
(Note: MS Amma died four months after the Hindu story appeared).

Hoping to resume the narrative--having been in hybernation for over a year and left "hanging"--the post-1977 period noted for many poignant moments and intimate associations between our two families.

nadhasudha

Post by nadhasudha »

Nice narrative MKR Sir! I have always wondered as to why MS did not have many sishyas. Can you shed some light on that aspect?

Ramasubramanian M.K

Nadhasuda: Please check out an earlier post in this thread--when I was actively posting-- there is one post by CACM(VKV) which explains-to sum up MS Amma was always learning herself-both CM and HM Bhajans plus the "second" life she had namely as a celebrity receiving visitors and dignitaries made it impossible for her to schedule time for regular teaching--but has taught many people 'on the fly" whenever people visited her or when she visited others-in Chennai or outside. My sister and daughter have been beneficiaries of a few songs --so have been Anuradha(KVN's daughter),Charu Ramachandran(Tricur Ramachandran's wife).

Among today's leading female vocalists I can sense Bombay Jayashree trying to emulate her in her singing techniques--so there is a lot of Electronic Ekalavyam going on today amongst female vocalists!! Imitation is the best form of Flattery!

It was never a case of not wanting to teach lest her popularity should be diminished

nadhasudha

Post by nadhasudha »

Thanks for the information MKR Sir. It is true that a lot of people are trying to emulate her but are not coming anywhere close to her. Her greatness lies in the fact that she makes the rendition appear easy (only someone who has attempted to try singing like that will know how difficult it is to even reproduce a fraction of what she sings) - in addition to the soulfullness. Sadly today's musicians are hitting all the right notes technically but the soul is missing.

MaamiAtHeart

Post by MaamiAtHeart »

MKR sir, I keep checking this thread to see if you have posted any updates! Please do continue to share these precious tidbits about MS Amma and all the wonderful people who influenced her life. I listen to her music everyday and i am more convinced every day that she is no ordinary mortal but an angel that we were blessed with to help us along the path of bhakthi.

Ramasubramanian M.K

MaamiAt heart: My apologies!! I have to write about the Post 1977 period till her death in 2004-I am trying to "coax" my wife to join the narrative--she is a much better chronicler and insightful than myself--perhaps one of these days I will literally record her narration and reproduce it for Rasikas-- in my opinion the above period when MS Amma had pretty much reduced her Concert commitments was the best in bringing to the fore the BEST of both Mami and Mama(TS)--whom I revere today as much as my parents. The only reason her Music appeals to so many people who have never met her in person is that indefinable characteristic of soulfulness--SHE WAS EVERY THING AND EVEN MORE WHAT SHE HAS BEEN DEPICTED TO BE-as I look back on the casual enquiries about intimate details of my family right down to my grandchildern that Mami used to ask I am struck by the genuineness and sincerity--our family was no match for her and yet she maintained that love and affection towards my mother(her best friend for over 60 years) and all of us. hers is a story that needs to be told and retold for posterity--I for one will never get tired of reminiscing about an association of over 60 years.
When she was 78 she sang @ my son's wedding and again the next year she sang @ my daughter's wedding and 9 months later in Nov 1997 Mama died.The next 7 years till she died,our family was privileged to associate with the Great Lady--memorable moments!!

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

Radha Sadasivam (as Radha) and ? in this dream sequence from Chandraprabha Movietone's 1947 Hindi production of the Tamil film Meera, starring M.S.Subbulakshmi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxttTgy_EXo

Some Sequence of the film Meera can be viewed at

http://cinemacorridor.blogspot.in/2009/ ... -1947.html

cacm

Post by cacm »

Dear M.K.S.,
I suggest you take a lead & start a SEPARATE THREAD ON "REMEMBERING M.S.S" in which YOU take the LEAD & others can also write about their experiences with this great soul. VKV

cienu

Post by cienu »

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Cienu - can you tell us something more about this documentary?

cienu

Post by cienu »

I have no clue Ravi. Just happened to see this amazing video of the 3 great artists on youtube. (though just a glimpse)
The piece from 1.48 to 1.54 brought back nostalgic memories. The daily pooja was part and parcel of her life whether at home or travel.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Cienu, the part which made me ask you that question was the fact that it appears that your grandfather was interviewed for the documentary, and the family may have noted it. By the way, for me, it was the first time I was able to hear him speak - obviously, we've heard of him, but not from him! So, that was an amazing thing for me....
And another point was that the thought that first went through my head when I initially understood the premise of the presentation was that it would deal with Smts. MSS, DKP, and MLV.... :)

Ramasubramanian M.K

rshankar There is a video of a function arranged by one of MSS[s admirers from kerala named Baby in which Mama has made a humorous speech.
Perhaps Cienu can help track it down for forumites.

Mama was not only a delightful conversationalist but also a wonderful speaker laden with humor appropriate to the occasion.

Even when he scolds you it will be stinging but not offend your dignity. For a man who was always depicted as given to mercurial tempers,I have never heard him say an expletive common amongst people of his age at that time.While I have been at the receiving end at times for some instructions executed poorly and I deserved them what I felt unfair was when he would launch into a tirade into Mami for some alleged linfraction not in the singing but failure to respond to his signals to change the order of songs midway thro a concert despite his cues which even radha may have missed!!! But there was no BIGGER Fan of Mami than Mama. I have been privileged to be privy to his glowing praise sitting next to him in a marriage concert in Chennai about how divine and soulful she sings I am sure at home in his private moments he would have conveyed the same sentiment.

Sorry for the digression!!!

cienu

Post by cienu »

Ramasubramanian M.K wrote:rshankar There is a video of a function arranged by one of MSS[s admirers from kerala named Baby in which Mama has made a humorous speech.
Perhaps Cienu can help track it down for forumites.
Mama was not only a delightful conversationalist but also a wonderful speaker laden with humor appropriate to the occasion.
This is the clip which Sri MKR refers to.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-pmYjzOiFU

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

MKR, thank you for the pointer and Cienu - thank you for the link...it was wonderful!

Ramasubramanian M.K

Is it not amazing that Mama was 95 years old when this function was held. He died four months later. Only a razor-sharp mind yoked to a brilliant tongue could produce such humor-laden eloquence. Even in private conversations the delivery would be crisp--no pauses,no back-tracking. In giving instructions to a person to accomplish a task, the task would be outlined without hms and aahs and at the end of the instructions a simple test to determine how well the person has understood the task and how attentive the person has been to the narration of the job!! If you botch the assignment,be prepared for a lecture on listening skills!!! When you report back to give an update or progress or the lack thereof,he would quickly understand that the person is hemming and hawing at which point the meeting would be terminated with Sari Sari(the tone alone will indicate the disappointment that a simple task could not be accomplished. The incident would be etched in his memory when years later if you again get chosen for the assignment a brief reminder as to how the earlier assignment was botched(!!) would be made and a second chance would be given to redeem one's reputation.

cienu

Re: Unveiling the Bronze Bust of Bharat Ratna M.S.Subbulaksh

Post by cienu »

On June 29th His Excellency the Governor of Karnataka - Shri H.R.Bhardwaj will unveil the Bronze Busts of Bharat Ratnas M.S.Subbulakshmi and Bismillah Khan at the Tumkur University. Program Details are as below :
Last edited by cienu on 25 Jun 2012, 06:08, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Congrats!
Hope somebody will report on that event..(wih pictures)

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

How wonderful!

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Yes, how wonderful indeed! My best wishes for the event and the continued sustained functioning of the M.S. Subbulakshmi department of Fine Arts and the Art Gallery.

Cienu, I take it that the gallery hosts some amazing pictures and portraits of the legend and your family. Could you perhaps share with us how they put this gallery together?

mohan

Post by mohan »

Good news about the MSS Statue.

It seems Tumkur University has a particular interest in classical music. They have recently teamed up with the Music Academy to make the Academy a research centre that can award doctorates.

Any more information about this university? I can't say i have heard of it before!

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Wonderful development. Cienu, keep us posted on how the event went.

sreebeecane

Post by sreebeecane »

Here is a snippet from today's Chennai daily: http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/ban ... 583860.ece

Nothing more than what Mr. Cienu said in his post.

Good to know that my hometown has a gallery now :)

cienu

Post by cienu »

Thank you Sreebeecane for the post # 624. :)
Please also find below a link in today's "The Hindu" in which we can find further details of the function, including a picture of His Excellency the Governor of Karnataka unveiling the statue of MS at Tumkur University with "Vaishnava Janato" being played in the background.
http://www.thehindu.com/news/states/kar ... 585599.ece
I must add that the function was extremely well organised with short speeches by all and we were overwhelmed by the hospitality extended by all the faculty members of Tumkur University lead by their redoubtable Vice Chancellor.
Kindly find below a few other images which were taken during the program
Amma and other family members after we arrived at the Tumkur University
My sister Lakshmi pays homage to her Grandmother
A brief life history of MS displayed on a plaque just beside the Statue.
A picture of our family beside the bust of Ustad Bismillah Khan after paying homage.
His Excellency the Governor of Karnataka and Chancellor of Tumkur University Dr H.R.Bhardwaj cracks a joke with my younger daughter Saundarya. At extreme right is the Vice Chancellor of Tumkur University Dr S.C.Sharma
His Excellency honors Amma with a Citation from Tumkur University. Also seen in the picture are His Holiness Sri Sri Sri Siddalinga Swamiji, Junior Seer of the Siddaganga Mutt, Smt Prafulata Bhardwaj , Sri Shivanna, MLA - Tumkur, the Vice Chancellor Dr S.C.Sharma and my daughters Aishwarya and Saundarya.
A view of a section of the audience at the Dr.M.S.Subbulakshmi Art Gallery where the function was held