Lalgudi Siblings:Sri. G.J.R. Krishnan and Smt. Vijayalakshmi

Carnatic Musicians
hnbhagavan

Lalgudi Siblings:Sri. G.J.R. Krishnan and Smt. Vijayalakshmi

Post by hnbhagavan »

H N Bhagavan of Bangalore

The children of very famous artists find it very difficult to get due recognition.The Rasika forum has not so far opened topics on Lalgudi Krishnan and Vijayalakshmi.
The duo are the torch bearers of Lalgudi bani.They are performing on the stage now for over 25 years.In the Vidwan and Vidushi columns,their names are not listed.
This is one such instance and there may be many more.

Rsachi

Re: Recognition of siblings

Post by Rsachi »

Well spoken, HNB!
The siblings conducted in an exemplary way their father's 80th birthday.
They are VERY talented.
Sachi

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Perhaps we should rename this thread as Lalgudi Krishnan and Viji. ?

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

HN Bhagavan

Thank you Mr.Sachi for your response.

I sincerely felt that there was no mention of their concerts in this Chennai season.Mr.lalgudi Krishnan in a recent interview has
lamented that the sabhas do not feature instrumentalists as much as vocalists.My own view is that Mr.Lalgudi Krishnan should have continued accompaniment in addition
to violin concerts.Smt Lalgudi Vijayalakshmi does provide accompaniment and I hope she continues the same.

The moderator is free to move these postings as he thinks fit.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

there is one for Lalgudi Vijayalakshmi that was started by me. May be Mods can rename that thread has Lalgudi Krishnan and Vijayalakshmi and merge this thread there
http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic. ... it=lalgudi

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Might it not be better if they have a thread each?

That recognises them as individual artists, as well as "siblings."

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Mods - can we please change the title to insert 'Lalgudi' before the word 'siblings'? They are not the only siblings who perform together, nor the only siblings worthy of having a thread of their own - right from the time when mahariSi vAlmIki taught Lava and Kusha to sing the rAmAyaNa, siblings have been performing together, and will continue to do so - many will be really good too, and a few, like the Lalgudi siblings, will be amazing.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Lets give the siblings their names also.

vasanthakokilam

Re: Lalgudi Siblings: Krishnan and Vijayalakshmi

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Margazhi Conversation with Lalgudi G.J.R.Krishnan and Lalgudi Vijayalakshmi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTQZZ1QyQLw

srikant1987

Re: Lalgudi Siblings: G.J.R. Krishnan and Smt. Vijayalakshmi

Post by srikant1987 »

Let's give Sri GJR Krishnan the honorific "Sri" too.

hnbhagavan

Re: Lalgudi Siblings:Sri. G.J.R. Krishnan and Smt. Vijayalak

Post by hnbhagavan »

Thank you for the new columns on lalgudi Siblings.I find the concert paddati adopted by the siblings are on in the best Lalgudi tradition.The mike volume is generally
on the lower side and has a soothing effect
.A beautiful exposition of 02 - taayE_yashOdaa - tODi - oothukAdu_venkata_kavi is available in Sangeethapriya concert series.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

New Combinations:

Lalgudi Vijayalakshmi performed violin duet with Vittal Ramamurthy at Shimoga on Mar 3,2013.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Today's 100.1FM broadcast a vintage LGJ GJRK recording..some of the items were Gaula pancharatna, Sri Sarasvati Arabhi MD, Bhajare Manasa MV, a ragamalika Sollavallayo, Brindavani tillana, Hamsanandi Srinvasa PS...
Could someone tell me if this is a commercial recording, please? Accompaniment?

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

It is from a commercial recording called "Lalgudi Ganamrutham" most recently released by Saregama.
You can find some track samples here:

http://gaana.com/music-album/lalgudi-ga ... vol-1-7891
and http://gaana.com/music-album/lalgudi-ga ... ol-2-15797

Karaikudi Mani: mridangam; Vikku Vinayakram: ghatam
My guess is that it is from the late 70s/early 80s.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Thanks Mahavishnu!

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Dear Sachi,

I am extremely happy now that they are getting deserved coverage from this learned community.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

HNB,
soon after the Lalgudi 80 Celeb, I went to great lengths to acquire their Raga Rasa album. I wrote this to GJRK after listening to it (disclosure: I have NO axe to grind here or elsewhere with musicians).
Coming to Raga Rasa, I wish to congratulate you on the following:
The music is dynamic, and engrossing.
It is quintessentially Indian, despite lots of "band baaja" and keyboards.
You have presented a rich and variegated tapestry.
The Lalgudi Bani peeps out in many places.
Your violins are like a rich narrator.
The colours of the ragas are uniquely unveiled.
The title is very apt.... Raga Rasa.

In fact as I heard it the first time, the imagery that it evoked was that we begin, perhaps from Cochin airport, amidst the din of urban life, a journey. The green landscape emerges, and soon the rain drenches our mood with its cool freshness. You, the two violins by turn, are my tour guides. You start telling me about the journey.

We arrive at a temple town. Happy and beautiful men and women are discussing with cordiality about an upcoming festival.

Soon we are ushered into a huge temple. The temple has pillars, spires and decorations. There are elephants with swaying trunks, flappy ears, and mahouts. There are also Mohini Attom dancers. There are the drummers and trumpeteers. There are the nadaswaram players and also some guest musicians with Sitar and Tabla. There is a young keyboard player from Dubai and also the local Raja's favourite western band. All join in the festival celebration.

The lord is lulled into sleep with a soothing "laali". The night is filled with starry skies and soft violin narration...
The morning starts with resonant chants.
There are many moods as we go through the grand festival. There is feast, siesta and also some solitary reverie.

The finale is an outpouring of the heart... in Sindhubharavi. Whereas Amritavarshini introduces us to rain-drenched countryside, Kalyanavasantham takes us into the festival preparations, and Nattakurinji into the temple itself and so on.

As travellers, we have our own thoughts and memories, responding to this wonderful festival. The colours and dimensions are wonderful, and leave us finally wondering how rich our land is in culture, celebration and art.

Have you heard and seen a movie on Vivaldi's Four Seasons? I wish I could share it with you... are you stopping soon in Singapore?

I wish that your next production is like a western symphony, with movements and parts all fitting together into a great theme, like Beethoven's Ninth Symphony!

PS: I have copied two great friends and fellow Lalgudi admirers who helped me to reach your music!

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Sachi,

Very good posting and a good review of Ragarasa.I will try and acquire it.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Dear friends,

Review of concert by Lalgudi siblings in the Hindu friday:
http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday ... 508457.ece

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Concert at Gayana Samaja on Aug 11 at Vaadya vaibhava.

The lalgudi siblings gave an excellent concert in the lalgudi tradition.
The highlight was Manasu Vishaya in Natakuranji.
A brief book release function on the autobiography of lalgudi Jayaraman was held.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

The first time I heard one of their concerts was in 2004 and the very first impression they made was that their music was "very beautiful". After that I've heard them regularly year after year and with more sangitha gnanam, I'm hooked on their music. Even though I have come to know much about the mathematical and cerebral aspects of their music, my impression of "beautiful" has never changed since that time. Their performances at IITM were wonderful. Every one of their concerts I have heard is a gem after another gem. They present the highest quality of Carnatic music with no cheap tricks. Their concert at the MA in 2012 was unforgettable and was the best concert I heard in the whole season (to me) -- what a superlative musical experience! The Hamsanandi for the RTP in that concert was not created on earth, it was from another dimension !

Their laya skill is incredible and by head and shoulders I don't thjnk there is any comparison among instrumentalists to them. Their RTP's are in a class of their own. I have heard them execute 60 beat pallavis in mishra nadai with no problem. In one concert at BVB, they presented a pallavi with nada bhedham between trisram and chaturashram and the pallavi was so clever that the trisram and chaturashram parts could be interchanged with no disturbance to the overall pallavi length. It is precisely this that allows them to explore manodharma to a class of it's own.

Once again all this laya skill is cleverly hidden beneath very beautiful raga phrasing so the first impression is always one of melodic beauties. However it takes a little more observation to appreciate the subtleties of their music. Both Sri. Krishnan and Smt. Vijayalakshmi have their own individuality in playing and when they play alapanas they use different styles of raga renditions (long phrases akin to nadaswaram, the free flowing very long series of passages of their father or very short and clipped phrases, each phrase handled differently to bring out many colours within a phrase).

Best of all I love the sound balance in their concerts. No banging, no headaches, very pleasing melody. In many ways they have continued their concert presentation from where their father left off and have continued to develop the Lalgudi bani with their own efforts. The one thing I can't understand are what I feel are some unfair comments and comparisons to their father (that also reflect inadequate understanding of their musical wealth). Granted though, Lalgudi lived in a time when he was able to accompany 6 generations of artistes and that he was the pioneer so comparisons are inevitable. But none of this has ever affected my experience in their concerts. The other complaint I have is over why such good music really doesn't pull the crowds at the sabhas that it deserves (as such this is now the present trend in all instrumental concerts).

Overall, anyone who wants to hear the highest level of musicality in Carnatic instrumental should not fail to go their concerts.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Dear srinathK,

I am in total agreement with you.But they are not getting their due share of appreciation from the audience.Their sound level is the most optimum compared to other instrumentalist.I have a gut feeling that Sri GJRK could have continued accompaniment to present day musicians along with duet performance with his sister.Surely they have captured Sri Lalgudi's laya expertise also.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-05y1P-OhcQ

Please listen to a captivating Madhyamavathi by Sri GJR Krishnan

rajeshnat

Re: Lalgudi Siblings:Sri. G.J.R. Krishnan and Smt. Vijayalakshmi

Post by rajeshnat »

The front page writeup of Lalgudi Krishnan in Dec 23,2016 - The Hindu Review. These lines are lovely.
“The world knows only one side of the story; the story of fame and following. The two of us grew up the hard way. Looking back, I have no regrets though. It made us tough and resilient. Fortunately, my father encouraged us to think; to approach every note and phrase with passion and a probing mind"
http://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/m ... 925896.ece

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Review of Lalgudi siblings recent concert in hamsadhwani dated Feb 2017
http://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/m ... 353491.ece

CRama

Post by CRama »

There was a National Programme concert by these highly talented artistes about two seeks back. Wonderful concert. Varsha or anybody- can you please share the recording.

varsha

Post by varsha »

regret did not record :(

CRama

Post by CRama »

Oh sad