Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Thanks.

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

Thank you, s_hari.

vv1986

Post by vv1986 »

i would like to know from someone if Shri DKJ has ever sung Sarievvare in the ragam sriranjani.if someone has a recording of his singing of that krithi,i would appreciate it.thanks

baboosh

Post by baboosh »

vv1986 wrote:i would like to know from someone if Shri DKJ has ever sung Sarievvare in the ragam sriranjani.if someone has a recording of his singing of that krithi,i would appreciate it.thanks
Sri.DKJ had sung this on an AIR concert once.I do not have a recording of that.

venravi

Post by venravi »

I have that song. I will upload.
Ravi

venravi

Post by venravi »

venravi

Post by venravi »

He also sang Sarievvare in Sahana.

venravi

Post by venravi »

Sorry. The above link is Sahana SariEvvere. I will check Sriranjani song.

vv1986

Post by vv1986 »

has anyone have a recording of shri jayaraman's kalanidhi speech in an audio file

venravi

Post by venravi »

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

rasikas who have not listened to this lecture demo by DKJ on Dikshitar, pl do so.
You will really enjoy.

http://www.sangeethapriya.org/Downloads … index.html

rahm221

Post by rahm221 »

SK concert is available.
http://www.sangeethapriya.org//Download … mhari.html

This link is not good anymore. It does take you to the download page but the links within the page lead you nowhere.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4937 - DKP on DKJ - scanned copy of a newspaper article.

thathwamasi

Post by thathwamasi »

Dear Rasikas

Please listen to this clip below.

http://rapidshare.com/files/115588649/1 ... b.mp3.html

It takes such a lot of guts (masculinity if I can call it) to sing at such a kalapramana with Palghat Mani Iyer on Mridangam. How well has DKJ sung. Its amazing..the kinda of Patanthara suddham that DKJ has while singing any keerthana. Purandara dasa to the recent composers like Sri.Madurai Srinivasan. I feel blessed to have even known about DKJ.

T

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

the amazing way in which he has sung shouldnt be a surprise at all,, for not everyone will get to sing with mani iyer and that is why he is dkj ... and also the fact is mani iyer was first of the greats to observe the inherent talents in youngsters of his time like dkj and kvn and he encouraged them a lot... i feel dkj was one of the very few musicians who had the capability to make a lighter krithi sound like a heavy piece with his beautiful imaginatine sangathis and azhuthamana sangeetham(an hallmmark of smt.dkp ofcourse)
Last edited by semmu86 on 19 May 2008, 17:35, edited 1 time in total.

prashant

Post by prashant »

thathwamasi wrote:I feel blessed to have even known about DKJ.
Amen, Amen, Amen!!!

DKJ Sir could sing at any kAlapramANa with such clarity, azhuttam and abandon. Kulkarniji has posted his recording of Sri Venugopal's sadA nI pAda which is a majestic piece in 2 kalai chaukam. The same man could sing this and then reel of a razor-sharp, super fast amba vANi and lock horns with LGJ in a swara duel while maintaining a steady flow of balEs and bEshes!!! :-) An amazing vidvAn - our loss that he passed away way too early.

thathwamasi

Post by thathwamasi »

Prashant - How right you are.

The kalapramanam at which he sings 'Devi Brova Samayamithe' or a 'Ranganayakam' just enthralls me. On the other hand, like this 'marivera', just comes out with so much authority.

I don't know if you have listened to this commercially released concert (with lalgudi and vellore) of DKJ. He would have sung his hallmark "Sree Mahabala" in ragam Saranga malhar. The depths he would have plunged and the heights Lalgudi would have reached during the alapanai was enthralling. And so was the swara prastharam. The concert ended in a lovely lovely DKJ rendering of Lalgudi's Mohanakalyani Thillana.

Hail DKJ.

T

mahesh_narayan

Post by mahesh_narayan »

I have a superfast Kalyanarama in Hamsanadam with Raghu Sir's accompaniment. The swaras with such precision at such a high speed is something in itself !!. Immediately in succession, one must listen to his Arunachalanatham in a very relaxed vilamba kalam, sung with the same effortless precision, to really appreciate his mastery over various kalas. For intermediate speeds, his Shri Raghuvaraprameya or Raksha Bettare are good examples I can think of.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

http://rapidshare.com/files/119248736/DIV00009.MPG

Hail DKJ

For the full unedited viewing , please wait for our get -together at Udayshankars Home slated for July (which will just be Documentary Video sessions ) Right Uday ?

sankirnam

Post by sankirnam »

Wow cool, thanks again...

Is this video from Kalakshetra? I don't know any other place where you can have an outdoor concert like that with birds cooing (like during the Kaligiyunte!).
If that is JV putting tambura, then wow, he looks REALLY young in that.

I dont recognize the violinist, is it V. Thyagarajan?

cienu

Post by cienu »

sankirnam wrote:I dont recognize the violinist, is it V. Thyagarajan?
Yes.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

That one was at his Home.
The Very sight of a Mike so far away is so amazing.
Last edited by coolkarni on 03 Jun 2008, 05:08, edited 1 time in total.

sankirnam

Post by sankirnam »

thanks cienu, looks like I'm getting better at this.. i guessed it was V. Thyagarajan based on the resemblance to Nagarajan and Papa.

The other thing to observe is that even with one mike, look how balanced the sound is naturally. The balance gets screwed up when we introduce amplification and all that.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

I think it is Vaithy on the tambura and Sukanya who is singing along with him. Can someone (Sri cienu perhaps) confirm?

prashant

Post by prashant »

It's definitely Smt. Sukanya singing along.

thathwamasi

Post by thathwamasi »

Coolji - What a video. Absolutely fascinating to hear it micless. Oh the great times of micless music...

One more thing that is amazing is the sound that Murthy Mama brings out of the mridangam without the mic. There is no "hitting" of the mridangam. But all those fierce and intricate sollus are heard with such high clarity. Someone must revive the art of "pazhangalathu Mridangam playing". Simply reminded of some concerts where Palghat Mani Iyer's Mridangam's micless sounds.

Thanks a ton.
T

prashant

Post by prashant »

Such great enthu in DKJ Sir's singing! Just awesome to see him in action. He may have left us, but his music will delight rasikas for generations.

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

oops
Last edited by Vocalist on 04 Jun 2008, 07:24, edited 1 time in total.

cienu

Post by cienu »

rshankar wrote:I think it is Vaithy on the tambura and Sukanya who is singing along with him. Can someone (Sri cienu perhaps) confirm?
Yes rshankar , it is Sukanya and Vaidhyanathan.

Vaithy however has a different hairstyle combed diagonaly so as to cover a part of the forehead , much different from his present style of flowing hair and combed backwards.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Thanks!

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

The birds chirping in the background are doing grahabhedam! :)
Wonderful video indeed.

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

Super video - even that 3 minutes gave me so much joy. Loved it!

Thank you coolkarni :)

cienu

Post by cienu »

ragam-talam wrote:The birds chirping in the background are doing grahabhedam! :)
Wonderful video indeed.
I thought they were squirrels ! They are so close to the Panchamam & sometimes actually hit the target ! :)

pgaiyar

Post by pgaiyar »

Dear Mr. Sankirnam:

can you please upload the Kaligiyunte by DKJ?. God bless you.

Regards

Guru

vpadmana

Post by vpadmana »

He was a very funny person, Shri DKJ. His many disciples would literally camp out at his house at the pretext of learning (which was always there). He used to entertain them with stories about other vidwans (Palghat Mani Iyer esp and his Malayalam tinged Tamil) and vidushis. He wouldn't spare mimicking (all in good fun though) even his own sister. It was a total riot at his house during class. But once the singing started, they would all sit in total attention to every word he spoke and sang.

Many wonderful disciples - Vijay Siva, RK Sriram Kumar, J. Vaidyanathan (son), Suganya (daughter), Balaji Shankar (sadly he's given up singing) and Asha Ramaswamy in San Francisco.

His Subrahmanyo Mam Rakshatu in Todi, Chintayama in Bhairavi, Sharade in Devagandhari, nAn oru vilayAttu in Navarasa kAnadA, Shankha Chakra Gada Panim in Poornachandrika among others are unforgettable.

Purist

Post by Purist »

vpadmana wrote:
His Subrahmanyo Mam Rakshatu in Todi, Chintayama in Bhairavi, Sharade in Devagandhari, nAn oru vilayAttu in Navarasa kAnadA, Shankha Chakra Gada Panim in Poornachandrika among others are unforgettable.
Hiranmayeem in Lalitha deserves mention too. That remains one of his classics.

pgaiyar

Post by pgaiyar »

Can anyone please upload the DKJ version of Chintayama-Bhairavi?. God bless you all.

Thanks in advance

Regards/Wishes

Guru

Shivadasan

Post by Shivadasan »

Chintayamam is available in his cassette on Panchlinga Kritis.

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

Can any one give me details about this concert? I seemed to have downloaded it from somewhere, but I don't know where!

Here is the song list:

1) Neelayatakshi - Dhanyasi
2) Raghupathey Rama - Sahana
3) Neesati Deivam - Sriranjani
4) Hiranmayeem - Lalitha
5) Birana Varalichi - Kalyani
6) Nannu Vidachi - Reethigowla
7) Sree Raghuvara - Kambhoji
8) RTP -Todi-"maramum nizhalum kuyilum unnai thozhuva idhu nalla samayamA?"
9) Tonru Nigazhnda - Bhairavi
10) Kandhan Adhu - Behag
11) Manadirkku - Sindhubhairavi
12) Mayaladi Bodanache - Surutti

It is quite an excellent concert, with fantastic RTP! All the pieces are indeed ecstasy!
Last edited by srinivasrgvn on 16 Jul 2009, 06:31, edited 1 time in total.

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

Oh, don't bother! I found the concert in Sangeethapriya! Silly me! =)

Here it is, if anybody wants to hear it:
http://sangeethamshare.org/kl/13-DKJ-VVS-UKS/

pgaiyar

Post by pgaiyar »

Dear All:

I am looking for a "DKJ Melodies" a GIRI Trading twin cassette release in the 90's. There is a terrific Sriranjani track 'Chitham Irangavillayo'. I will be ever grateful and always if someone can upload this release. God bless you all.

Reards

Aiyar

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

srinivasrgvn wrote:
12) Mayaladi Bodanache - Huseni

huseni..? Surati...???

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

keerthi wrote:
srinivasrgvn wrote:
12) Mayaladi Bodanache - Huseni

huseni..? Surati...???
Sorry, it is surutti. I corrected it. A small confusion between 'yE mAyalAdi rA' in husEni and this one! =)

prashant

Post by prashant »

Fellow member arunsri alerted me to this outstanding DKJ Sir concert on sangeethapriya. The singing is just superlative... the niravals in harikAmbhOji and kalyANi are so emotional... do listen. A lesson on how to sing with utmost sincerity and spontaneity. DKJ Sir left us way too early...

http://www.sangeethamshare.org/mpmohan/ ... ug%201983/

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

pgaiyar wrote:Dear All:I am looking for a "DKJ Melodies" a GIRI Trading twin cassette release in the 90's. There is a terrific Sriranjani track 'Chitham Irangavillayo'. I will be ever grateful and always if someone can upload this release. God bless you all.
Reards
Aiyar
No request for commercial releases here please! Thanks.

pgaiyar

Post by pgaiyar »

To:Vasanthakokilam

Thanks and noted. I checked with GIRI last week and they have confirmed to me that this has been discontinued long ago because of some reason. So I placed this request. I am sorry still.

Regards

Aiyar

ogirala sri ramakrishna

Post by ogirala sri ramakrishna »

Sri D.K.Jayaraman along with his syster propagated the song SUNDARI SADA in suddha Dhanyasi composed by H H BHAKTA GNANANANDA TIRTHA ( SRI OGIRALA VEERA RAGHAVA SARMA GARU), the Saint Composer of Carnatac Music of 20 th century.

During my stay at Kolkata once he has given a concert at Rasikaramjani sabha. Then I have asked him whether he can sing Sundari sada. He has accepted my request happliy and rendered the song beautifully with ragam and swaram.

BHAKTA GNANANANDA TIRTHA Sangeeta sabha honoured him with the title SRIMAD DEVIGANASUDHA NIDHI.

O.S.RAMAKRISHNA

carnaticdasan

Post by carnaticdasan »

Coolkarniji

Can u pl upload the song "Muruga Muruga" in ragam Nayaki by Spenser Venugopal sir,of Sri DKJ.

Longing to hear this classsic.