D.K.Jayaraman

Carnatic Musicians
rshankar

Post by rshankar »

I think it is Vaithy on the tambura and Sukanya who is singing along with him. Can someone (Sri cienu perhaps) confirm?

prashant

Post by prashant »

It's definitely Smt. Sukanya singing along.

thathwamasi

Post by thathwamasi »

Coolji - What a video. Absolutely fascinating to hear it micless. Oh the great times of micless music...

One more thing that is amazing is the sound that Murthy Mama brings out of the mridangam without the mic. There is no "hitting" of the mridangam. But all those fierce and intricate sollus are heard with such high clarity. Someone must revive the art of "pazhangalathu Mridangam playing". Simply reminded of some concerts where Palghat Mani Iyer's Mridangam's micless sounds.

Thanks a ton.
T

prashant

Post by prashant »

Such great enthu in DKJ Sir's singing! Just awesome to see him in action. He may have left us, but his music will delight rasikas for generations.

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

oops
Last edited by Vocalist on 04 Jun 2008, 07:24, edited 1 time in total.

cienu

Post by cienu »

rshankar wrote:I think it is Vaithy on the tambura and Sukanya who is singing along with him. Can someone (Sri cienu perhaps) confirm?
Yes rshankar , it is Sukanya and Vaidhyanathan.

Vaithy however has a different hairstyle combed diagonaly so as to cover a part of the forehead , much different from his present style of flowing hair and combed backwards.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Thanks!

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

The birds chirping in the background are doing grahabhedam! :)
Wonderful video indeed.

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

Super video - even that 3 minutes gave me so much joy. Loved it!

Thank you coolkarni :)

cienu

Post by cienu »

ragam-talam wrote:The birds chirping in the background are doing grahabhedam! :)
Wonderful video indeed.
I thought they were squirrels ! They are so close to the Panchamam & sometimes actually hit the target ! :)

pgaiyar

Post by pgaiyar »

Dear Mr. Sankirnam:

can you please upload the Kaligiyunte by DKJ?. God bless you.

Regards

Guru

vpadmana

Post by vpadmana »

He was a very funny person, Shri DKJ. His many disciples would literally camp out at his house at the pretext of learning (which was always there). He used to entertain them with stories about other vidwans (Palghat Mani Iyer esp and his Malayalam tinged Tamil) and vidushis. He wouldn't spare mimicking (all in good fun though) even his own sister. It was a total riot at his house during class. But once the singing started, they would all sit in total attention to every word he spoke and sang.

Many wonderful disciples - Vijay Siva, RK Sriram Kumar, J. Vaidyanathan (son), Suganya (daughter), Balaji Shankar (sadly he's given up singing) and Asha Ramaswamy in San Francisco.

His Subrahmanyo Mam Rakshatu in Todi, Chintayama in Bhairavi, Sharade in Devagandhari, nAn oru vilayAttu in Navarasa kAnadA, Shankha Chakra Gada Panim in Poornachandrika among others are unforgettable.

Purist

Post by Purist »

vpadmana wrote:
His Subrahmanyo Mam Rakshatu in Todi, Chintayama in Bhairavi, Sharade in Devagandhari, nAn oru vilayAttu in Navarasa kAnadA, Shankha Chakra Gada Panim in Poornachandrika among others are unforgettable.
Hiranmayeem in Lalitha deserves mention too. That remains one of his classics.

pgaiyar

Post by pgaiyar »

Can anyone please upload the DKJ version of Chintayama-Bhairavi?. God bless you all.

Thanks in advance

Regards/Wishes

Guru

Shivadasan

Post by Shivadasan »

Chintayamam is available in his cassette on Panchlinga Kritis.

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

Can any one give me details about this concert? I seemed to have downloaded it from somewhere, but I don't know where!

Here is the song list:

1) Neelayatakshi - Dhanyasi
2) Raghupathey Rama - Sahana
3) Neesati Deivam - Sriranjani
4) Hiranmayeem - Lalitha
5) Birana Varalichi - Kalyani
6) Nannu Vidachi - Reethigowla
7) Sree Raghuvara - Kambhoji
8) RTP -Todi-"maramum nizhalum kuyilum unnai thozhuva idhu nalla samayamA?"
9) Tonru Nigazhnda - Bhairavi
10) Kandhan Adhu - Behag
11) Manadirkku - Sindhubhairavi
12) Mayaladi Bodanache - Surutti

It is quite an excellent concert, with fantastic RTP! All the pieces are indeed ecstasy!
Last edited by srinivasrgvn on 16 Jul 2009, 06:31, edited 1 time in total.

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

Oh, don't bother! I found the concert in Sangeethapriya! Silly me! =)

Here it is, if anybody wants to hear it:
http://sangeethamshare.org/kl/13-DKJ-VVS-UKS/

pgaiyar

Post by pgaiyar »

Dear All:

I am looking for a "DKJ Melodies" a GIRI Trading twin cassette release in the 90's. There is a terrific Sriranjani track 'Chitham Irangavillayo'. I will be ever grateful and always if someone can upload this release. God bless you all.

Reards

Aiyar

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

srinivasrgvn wrote:
12) Mayaladi Bodanache - Huseni

huseni..? Surati...???

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

keerthi wrote:
srinivasrgvn wrote:
12) Mayaladi Bodanache - Huseni

huseni..? Surati...???
Sorry, it is surutti. I corrected it. A small confusion between 'yE mAyalAdi rA' in husEni and this one! =)

prashant

Post by prashant »

Fellow member arunsri alerted me to this outstanding DKJ Sir concert on sangeethapriya. The singing is just superlative... the niravals in harikAmbhOji and kalyANi are so emotional... do listen. A lesson on how to sing with utmost sincerity and spontaneity. DKJ Sir left us way too early...

http://www.sangeethamshare.org/mpmohan/ ... ug%201983/

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

pgaiyar wrote:Dear All:I am looking for a "DKJ Melodies" a GIRI Trading twin cassette release in the 90's. There is a terrific Sriranjani track 'Chitham Irangavillayo'. I will be ever grateful and always if someone can upload this release. God bless you all.
Reards
Aiyar
No request for commercial releases here please! Thanks.

pgaiyar

Post by pgaiyar »

To:Vasanthakokilam

Thanks and noted. I checked with GIRI last week and they have confirmed to me that this has been discontinued long ago because of some reason. So I placed this request. I am sorry still.

Regards

Aiyar

ogirala sri ramakrishna

Post by ogirala sri ramakrishna »

Sri D.K.Jayaraman along with his syster propagated the song SUNDARI SADA in suddha Dhanyasi composed by H H BHAKTA GNANANANDA TIRTHA ( SRI OGIRALA VEERA RAGHAVA SARMA GARU), the Saint Composer of Carnatac Music of 20 th century.

During my stay at Kolkata once he has given a concert at Rasikaramjani sabha. Then I have asked him whether he can sing Sundari sada. He has accepted my request happliy and rendered the song beautifully with ragam and swaram.

BHAKTA GNANANANDA TIRTHA Sangeeta sabha honoured him with the title SRIMAD DEVIGANASUDHA NIDHI.

O.S.RAMAKRISHNA

carnaticdasan

Post by carnaticdasan »

Coolkarniji

Can u pl upload the song "Muruga Muruga" in ragam Nayaki by Spenser Venugopal sir,of Sri DKJ.

Longing to hear this classsic.

matterwaves

Post by matterwaves »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogaFwrMT ... re=related
DKJ T Rukmini and UKS -- Kapali.

S Balachander in the audience! cant help observe the how almost an exact match is the flower TRs wearing to her Saree!
Last edited by matterwaves on 18 Aug 2009, 19:54, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

What a kapAli from DKJ!
Yes, T.Rukmini looks beautiful (still does) and as you say, she wears matching december kanakAmbaram (purply blue which is unrelated to the kanakAmbaram family, different in color too). Any flowers which had no fragrance were classified kanakAmbaram in the days when jasmines and other fragrant flowers were normally worn.
Is it J. Vaidyanathan who plays the tambura for his father?
I had forgotten DKJ's gestures. Now when I see them, I am reminded of Vijay Siva's!
To see Balachandar in the audience is a bonus...

prashant

Post by prashant »

matterwaves wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogaFwrMT ... re=related
DKJ T Rukmini and UKS -- Kapali.

S Balachander in the audience! cant help observe the how almost an exact match is the flower TRs wearing to her Saree!
What a wonderful clip! Yes, arasi, it is Sri Vaidyanathan on the tambura. Sri UKS sits ramrod straight at the mrudangam... his playing looks as elegant as it sounds...

vasanthakokilam

Yes, an excellent kapAli. Thanks matterwaves.

gn.sn42

Post by gn.sn42 »

Another excellent Kapali is featured on a Charsur release of a 1990 concert - DKJ begins with a few words on DKP, which makes this track rather special.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

arasi wrote:Any flowers which had no fragrance were classified kanakAmbaram in the days when jasmines and other fragrant flowers were normally worn.
Kanaka ambaram (the golden colored one)

arasi

Post by arasi »

srkris,
While this looks like the 'golden sky' flower, the green stems make me wonder. Possible that this belongs to the crossandra family too.

meenalochana

Post by meenalochana »

Coolkarni:

The upload of Muruga - Nayaki by DKJ is no longer available. Could you kindly upload it again. Or if anyone has it, could you please upload it. I am dying to listen to it. :)

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

arasi wrote:srkris,
While this looks like the 'golden sky' flower, the green stems make me wonder. Possible that this belongs to the crossandra family too.
Whatever, thats the original kanakambara flower. I am not quite well up on the english names for flora in general.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 26 Aug 2009, 17:57, edited 1 time in total.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

srkris wrote:
Whatever, thats the original kanakambara flower. I am not quite well up on the english names for flora in general.
Crossandra Infundibuliformis is the botonical name for Kanakambra

prashant

Post by prashant »

Here is the rendition of murugA murugA in nAyaki. This was originally uploaded by Coolji.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/6cx1u0

carnaticdasan

Post by carnaticdasan »

Thanks Prashant.Very rare piece and hardly get to hear anybody singing this kriti these days.
Last edited by carnaticdasan on 20 Aug 2009, 12:15, edited 1 time in total.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 26 Aug 2009, 17:57, edited 1 time in total.

meenalochana

Post by meenalochana »

Thanks a lot. It was amazing.

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

VK RAMAN wrote:
srkris wrote:
Crossandra Infundibuliformis is the botonical name for Kanakamabra
crossandra is correct.. there is even a green variety that the kannaDiga-s have dubbed 'pacchambari'
december pU or december kanakambaram is Barleria cristata

a google search will reveal pictures of both kanakAmbara and barleria.. i don't know how to paste pictures here..

vasanthakokilam

>i don't know how to paste pictures here..
keerthi, enclose the url in [img]...[/img] tags

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

Can somebody please upload(or send links to) DKJ's rendition of 'bhajarE rE chitta'(kalyAni,mc,MD)? I've been hunting for this rendition but it is unavailable almost everywhere! I very well know that DKJ has sung this composition since I heard him sing it in one of his lec-dems. Please upload, members, if you have the rendition(if it is non-commercial)

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

Smt MSS singing "Bhajare rE chitta " can be u/l if u r interested.............

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

Sorry manjunath ji, I already have that rendition.

rajeshnat

Re: D.K.Jayaraman

Post by rajeshnat »

Spencer venugopAl's krithi sadaneepAda in todi rendered by DKJ-Tirupparkadal veeraraghavn-palakkadraghu.
attn JigyAsa (you asked for it in smt neelA's review thread)
http://www.sendspace.com/file/y2iyjo

satyabalu

Post by satyabalu »

* Resembles one of the SS kritis in format,bhava rich in swaraksharas.rendered with the typical azhutham & viruviruppu(tempo)of DKP/DKJ school.
* Thiruparkadal looks to have come out of his shell .

satyabalu

Re:

Post by satyabalu »

prashant wrote:Here is the rendition of murugA murugA in nAyaki. This was originally uploaded by Coolji.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/6cx1u0
Unable to download. can you upload this rare piece in Nayaki. again? Thanks. Prashant!

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

There is no posting for such a long time.

DKJ 059--kAmAkSi-varalakSmi--bilahari--Adi Listen/download from here:

DKJ 059--kAmAkSi-varalakSmi--bilahari--Adi.mp3

You can listen to Shri DKJ's songs at :

http://myblogkumara.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... ar_25.html

venkatakailasam

madhyamar

Post by madhyamar »

http://youtu.be/hikrT5xf5tQ

Video upload of DKJ concert with V Thiyagarajan and TK Murthy.