K S Gopalakrishnan

Carnatic Musicians
kartik

Post by kartik »

Is the violinist not Kanyakumari?

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

Could be Kartik, I have no idea. I have always been under the impression that it was MC.

bhaktha

Post by bhaktha »

And quite possibly so, as Ms. Kanyakumari is Shri MC's disciple :)
I have always had a problem differentiating the two on tape.
-bhaktha
Last edited by bhaktha on 31 May 2007, 22:03, edited 1 time in total.

sigmu7

Post by sigmu7 »

Hello Param,
Can you please upload this concert again ? I'm a great fan of KSG and I joined this forum only recently.

Thank you very much
sandeep

sigmu7

Post by sigmu7 »

Dear Badri,
Is it possible for you to upload this concert again ? I joined this forum very recently.
Thanks a lot
sandeep
abadri wrote:avichinnu,

I've one KSG-MC-UKS concert that seems to match what
you're looking for (though I don't have any info about
the venue/date).

In anycase, here's the song-list

KSG-MC-UKS
1. Pranamamyaham - Gaula
2. Durmargachara - Ranjani
3. Dharini Telusukonti - Suddha Saveri
4. Satatam Thavaka - Kharaharapriya
5. RTP - Mohanam
6. Bhajan
7. Raghupati Raghava Rajaram
8. Bhagyada Lakshmi Baramma - Madhyamavati

Here are d/l links for this concert
http://rapidshare.de/files/25054765/KSG ... 1.zip.html
http://rapidshare.de/files/25055284/KSG ... 2.zip.html
http://rapidshare.de/files/25054784/KSG ... 3.zip.html

Hopefully this is the concert you're looking for.
If not let's treat this as an extra and wait for Kji to
come up with the goods!

Regards.

kartik

Post by kartik »

Did you hear a Sabash in the mohanakalyani alapana?Sounded like KK.I have it in my archives as KK.

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

To me, Shri KSG has always been a bit of a hermit. I have spent several hours talking to him, both when he visited the US in the 90s and also in Trivandrum. There is a serene ambience around him that's palpable. And it shows in his music too. So much soukhyam.

Ever since he lost his wife a few years ago, he has become even more withdrawn, a friend tells me. My pranams to this great maestro.

mahesh33

Post by mahesh33 »

ArunK/MaheshS,

Many thanks. Kanada was serene, and Mohanakalyani...truly one of the best ragas that seem suited for the flute! And, to my ers, it is Kanyakumari..the accompaniment is so non-obtrusive....:)

sigmu7

Post by sigmu7 »

Does anybody in this forum have the following concerts of KSG ? I would be grateful if they could upload it. I've been trying to collect some concerts of KSG of whom I am a big fan. Thank you very much

1.Sami ninne - Shri
2.Pranamamyaham - Gowla
3.Shishankaraguruvaram-Nagaswaravali
4.Mokshamu Galada - Saramathi
5.Sudhamayi - Amrithavarshini
6.Balagopala - Bhairavi
7.Ranjanimala
8.Barokrishnayya
9.Bhaja bhaja manasa - Sindhubhairavi
10.Tiruppugazh
11.Bhagadalakshmi

KSG-MC-UKS at Nadabrahma Sangeetha Sabha in Mysore in 1994
1. Pranamamyaham - Gaula
2. Durmargachara - Ranjani
3. Dharini Telusukonti - Suddha Saveri
4. Satatam Thavaka - Kharaharapriya
5. RTP - Mohanam
6. Bhajan
7. Raghupati Raghava Rajaram
8. Bhagyada Lakshmi Baramma - Madhyamavati

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

I *may* have the second concert. I'll have to look. Forum rules prevent me from uplaoding full concerts though ....

sigmu7

Post by sigmu7 »

Hi Mahesh, Can you please upload the Mohanam RTP ? But there have been concerts uploaded in this thread, if not the forum.
Can you please upload the mohanam RTP and send the link ?
Thank you

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

Sigmu7 -

OK OK, here ya go. Mohanam RTP as requested :)

http://www.unbase.com/n/1886034267

KSG-MC-UKS [Nada Brahma sabha , Mysore 1994]

I'm just listening to it. Quality is all I can say!! His thanam is brilliant, it's like listening to thanam on the divine veena itself. And MC starts of the thanam similar to the starting of the Mohana varnam [GG RR ..], needless to say UKS accompaniment for thanam is brilliant as usual.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!!

mohan

Post by mohan »

Brilliant stuff Mahesh !

kalgada78

Post by kalgada78 »

Mahesh,
Thanks for sharing! That was a lovely Mohanam!! and what a dazzling accompaniment!!
aha! MC's replies!

Thanks again!
Sarma.

mahesh33

Post by mahesh33 »

http://www.sangeethapriya.org/Downloads/ksg/detroit

Nice RTP in Brindavana Saranga...

sigmu7

Post by sigmu7 »

Thank you very much Mahesh. I didn't download it yet because of the overloaded server. I'll do it sometime. Is is possible to upload the concert in places like sangeethapriya ? But thanks a lot nevertheless.

srisriram

Post by srisriram »

sorry param i'm a recently joined member of rasikas....
can u plz make these beautiful concerts available again as they have been inactivated in rapidshare

tharunthilak

Post by tharunthilak »

KSG - the all time great flute maestro from kerala. I heard that now he has stopped playing flute (after his wife's demise) and have now settled in Chennai leading a silent life.

abhiramkeshav

Re: K S Gopalakrishnan

Post by abhiramkeshav »

K S Gopalakrishnan is perforrming in Bangalore coming week :-

July 3rd 2010
At Indiranagar, Bangalore.

I do not know the exact place yet.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

That is wonderful to hear . Hope he is in best of touch.

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

Thats wonderful to know. Any details about the accompanists and the venue? Most probably i shall be making it. Venue if i guess must be Indira nagar sangeetha sabha, behind that indira nagar club.

fduddy

Post by fduddy »

rajeshnat wrote:That is wonderful to hear . Hope he is in best of touch.
KSG will always be in GREAT FORM. It is the moronic attitude of concert organisers (who go after crowd pullers) and the masses who cannot appreciate these musicians and their music, have kept these Geniuses away from main stream.

Sorry if this is off topic :!:

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

fduddy wrote: KSG will always be in GREAT FORM. It is the moronic attitude of concert organisers (who go after crowd pullers) and the masses who cannot appreciate these musicians and their music, have kept these Geniuses away from main stream.
i dont wish to nitpick or get into a fight, but, however it is believed that Sri KSG is the one who doesnt want to perform much, is choosy and he boycotts Madras by choice. If he is willing to play, I am sure there will be a handful of organisations ready to feature him with the right kind of respect that he deserves..

fduddy

Post by fduddy »

rbharath wrote: i dont wish to nitpick or get into a fight, but, however it is believed that Sri KSG is the one who doesnt want to perform much, is choosy and he boycotts Madras by choice. If he is willing to play, I am sure there will be a handful of organisations ready to feature him with the right kind of respect that he deserves..
Assuming he is choosy / boycotts Madras - there should be some valid reason, isnt it !

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

fduddy wrote: Assuming he is choosy / boycotts Madras - there should be some valid reason, isnt it !
i guess there is, but, what is the reason?
did every existing sabhas and rasika in chennai demean him or something?
if one particular individual or organisation did something wrong, why punish the world?

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

I have been lucky to have KSG's acquaintance while in Trivandrum.
He is a votary of 'pure' music and has never been a 'gallerian' ('gallerian' means one who plays to the gallery! How's the term?)

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Sivaramakrishnan wrote:I have been lucky to have KSG's acquaintance while in Trivandrum.
He is a votary of 'pure' music and has never been a 'gallerian' ('gallerian' means one who plays to the gallery! How's the term?)
Sivaramakrishnan
Great to hear that . Perhaps you can share few interesting anecdotes of KSG. Now that he has just performed in bangalore , we get to hear him more.

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Word has it that KSG may be performing much, much further than Bangalore in the future. ;)

narayan

Post by narayan »

KSG has played several times in Mumbai, back in the day. I used to follow him around all over the place and although he is too great a musician to have any grouse against, I always used to wish that he explore a little more in his repertoire that he chose to present. The whole atmosphere of his music is leisurely, thoughtful and very musical and frankly I don't really mind hearing the same things. But given one's imagination, hearing him play an elaborate Sahana (with whatever gandharam), or Ritigoulai or something would be such a nice prospect.

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

KSG was with All India Radio, Trivandrum for long. Whenever I went there for my broadcasts he used to be very helpful and giving lot of useful tips. He could be often seen working with notations to acquire more and more uruppadi-s.

We were regulars at the concerts organised by the Sri Swati Tirunal Sangita Sabha during the seventies and he was ever willing to discuss on topics related to music.

To me there is something mystique about the person as well as his great music.

thenpaanan

Post by thenpaanan »

narayan wrote:The whole atmosphere of his music is leisurely, thoughtful and very musical and frankly I don't really mind hearing the same things. But given one's imagination, hearing him play an elaborate Sahana (with whatever gandharam), or Ritigoulai or something would be such a nice prospect.
Ah yes. "Leisurely", "thoughtful" and "musical" are the mot justes. I greatly admire his unhurried approach to things. In another thread I had complained that there are not many CMusicians who could hold their own in a raga for more than twenty minutes. KSG is one of the rare ones who can. I remember listening to him at a concert -- when he was still on his second number (Andolika I think) I happened to look at my watch and I was astonished to note that an hour had already passed. Someone who can sing/play that way is a true master.

-Then Paanan

fduddy

Post by fduddy »

--
Last edited by fduddy on 07 Jul 2010, 16:20, edited 1 time in total.

fduddy

Post by fduddy »

rbharath wrote:Assuming he is choosy / boycotts Madras - there should be some valid reason, isnt it !
i guess there is, but, what is the reason?
did every existing sabhas and rasika in chennai demean him or something?
if one particular individual or organisation did something wrong, why punish the world?
One of the reasons - lack of audience / apreciation for good music ! Take the review done on his bangalore concert which will give an indication!
No of views - 214
No of replies - Just 1
Compare with review of other musicians, specially the current genre.

This shows the taste of chennai audience[/quote]

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

fduddy wrote: One of the reasons - lack of audience / apreciation for good music !
Lack of audience / appreciation for 'good music' or for particular artiste's music?

abhiramkeshav

Post by abhiramkeshav »

hello friends,
it is a treat for the Bengaluru-vAsi's.

KSG is performing here on 10th July 2010 at Gayana Samaja, KR Road at 6.30 PM
Team:- K.S.Gopalakrishnan (Flute) Dr.Manjunath(Violin) A.V.Anand(Mrudangam) B.Rajashekar (Morcing)

A request for those who are on Facebook - Join the group Flute maestro Vid. K S Gopalakrishnan on facebook. You can get to know the details about his concerts.

Two of his concerts scheduled in September are:-
Monday, September 20, 2010 at 5:30pm
At Mysore

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 at 5:00pm
At Praharshini, IISc, Bengaluru

fduddy

Post by fduddy »

Pratyaksham Bala wrote: One of the reasons - lack of audience / apreciation for good music !
Lack of audience / appreciation for 'good music' or for particular artiste's music?
I guess I have been explicit enough in what I have stated :tmi:
Again it is my opinion and not generalising.

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

fduddy wrote: One of the reasons - lack of audience / apreciation for good music ! Take the review done on his bangalore concert which will give an indication!
No of views - 214
No of replies - Just 1
Compare with review of other musicians, specially the current genre.

This shows the taste of chennai audience
I know i might sound nutty here, but, i wish to still make my point.

1. The number of visits is what matters here and not the number of replies.
2. rasikas.org is a global forum and the kind of response that something gets here is totally unrelated to what an average chennai rasika's taste is.
3. I have personally posted song lists of many many able and senior artists who have performed in madras, which have attracted no replies at all. However, they get a very good crowd for their concerts in madras.
4. It is only controversial concerts/artists who get lots of responses. If you see thread with many responses, they have discussions on pointless things or controversial things that happen in the concert and not on the artist or the music

In all, I find this comment pretty hastily made and a hard hit below the belt of a chennai rasika. I wish people make more matured and measured and sensible comments rather than wave their hands in thin air.

cpblog

Post by cpblog »

Respected Rasikas,

Please welcome to a 1976 "Parvathi", Mysore concert of the great Flute Vidwan K.S. Gopalkrishnan at
http://chowdaiahandparvati.blogspot.com/

Accompanying him are:
Vidushi T.Rukmini -----------Violin
Vidwan Tanjore Upendran -----Mridangam
Vidwan M.A.Krishnamurthy ----Ghatam

hariniraghavan

Post by hariniraghavan »

Recently Sri.K.S. Gopalakrishnan gave 3 concerts in Bangalore. One at Indiranagar Sangitha Sabha, One in Rajajinagar and another at Gayana Samaj. About 3-4 years I had contacted him to give a concert for our sabha in Bangalore and he said he was in depression due to his wife death that year and had given up performing any where. He also told me that he wanted some time to recover from the shock and perhaps now he has come out of his dipression. On 25th August he is again performing for Unnati at Bangalore. B.U. Ganeshprasad, Arjunkumar and Ranganatha Chakravarthy are on the pakkavadyam. I also heard from reliable sources that the concerts at GS and ISS were superb.
Harini.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

The expressive power of the flute was brought out meticulously by maestro flautist K.S. Gopalakrishnan (KSG) at a concert at Chalakudy.
http://www.hindu.com/fr/2010/08/13/stor ... 050300.htm

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Listening to the Parvathi concert by KSG. The sAhitya bhAva he brings out on the flute is quite phenomenal.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

I wish I was in kerala to hear this enta muddo enta sugoSo
http://www.hindu.com/fr/2010/08/20/stor ... 060300.htm