Vidvan Srinivasan - disciple of Muttiah Bhagavatar

Carnatic Musicians
Lakshman

Vidvan Srinivasan - disciple of Muttiah Bhagavatar

Post by Lakshman »

Does anyone have information about this artist, his recordings etc? Thanks.

Sreeni Rajarao

Re: Vidvan Srinivasan - disciple of Muttiah Bhagavatar

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

Lakshman-ji,

I do not have any information, but I am wondering if you would know to which phase of Sri Bhagavatar's life Vidvan Srinivasan might belong?

As I see it, Bhagavatar's first phase was his life in Tamizh Nadu (1877 to 1927?), and the second phase would be his stay in Mysore (1927 - approximately early 1940s?) and then his life in Kerala until 1945. I do not know if his last days were in Kerala or not.

Just curious!

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

The inquiry was from his grandson and I have sent him an email to get the information you have asked for.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Lakshman, you probably are already aware of this ( or even wrote this ), I found this at karnatik.com

http://www.karnatik.com/co1024.shtml

"His disciples include K.A. Sreenivasan whom he proudly announced as his number one disciple. Mr. K.A. Sreenivasan has acted in old films like Maya Machindra, Mayabazar and many more and he was one of the best friends of the famous cine actor "Cherukalathur Sama." He was awarded the title " Vidwan " by the then Mysore samasdhanam. K.A.Sreeenivasan's wife's name is Pitchumani Ammal and she has also passed away leaving 2 sons and 2 daughters."

I tried researching imdb for references to his name in those movies that are mentioned but I could not find a match for his name with those initials.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Lakshman,
What VK says establishes that he was in Karnataka for some time. Sreeni will also gather some info. I don't remember meeting him in my childhood (It's possible that I might have). All I remember is that his name is a familiar to me, even my maternal grandmother speaking of him. This establishes the Tirunelveli (Chennai too?) connection.The name stuck in my memory because I hadn't heard of any Srinivasan until then who was a vidvAn!

uksharma3

Post by uksharma3 »

A song sung by Vidvan Srinivasan from the film Kacha Devayani (1941) is uploaded here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wrk9VzkkPRw

uksharma3

Post by uksharma3 »

Another video song from the film Lakshmi Vijayam (1948) is uploaded here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7l7Pddj88w