Thiruvengadu.A.Jayaraman

Carnatic Musicians
nhmenon

Post by nhmenon »

I am starting this new thread dedicated to sh.Thiruvengadu Jayaraman, senior disciple of MMI. Having been closely associated with him since 1997, have a decent colection of his concerts. Will upload after 31.03.07and share you the links.MMIs music in all its glory is how i describe Jayaraman sirs music.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks

The maestro is a gifted performer and artiste and not much is written about him. Do post more about him as well as his divine music.

ragapremika

Post by ragapremika »

This maestro passes away in Chennai today.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

I only have one experience of hearing Shri TiruvenkAdu JayarAman when he sang a thematic concert of Muthuswami Dikshitar@NGS(mini). I did have a sure 20 minutes chat with him when I helped him to take an autorickshaw to his house at velacheri. The conversation started something like this

I asked : mAma , you sang a krithi mAthangi sri rAjarAjeshwari, enna rAgam mAma athu enakku konchum poorvikalyAni mAri irundadu , konjam chakravAkham mAri irundhadu (you sang a krithi , that had both the flavour of poorvikalyANi and chakravAkham)

Shri JayarAman's replied : He gave me a long reply. Just gave me a mini lecdem ,where he sang atleast 6 sangatis of the rAgas that I asked and explained me how different they are, indicating IIRC of how rAmamanOhari is Prati madhyama equivalent of chakravAkham.

Then we went around with our favourite , his guru "MMI" where he said how his music influenced him in his life.Then when he asked me whether I learned CM .

I said I stopped when I learnt 3 krithis .

Then he asked me to learn even now . I cribbed that I have very poor breath control.

He replied that is a very easy problem to solve , just do pranayAmA.

Overall I felt he was the most approachable musician , absolutely no air in his mannerism. He had always a smiling face.

Here is his krithi list on that memorable day March 25th,2005

1. sri mahaganapathE ravatumA - gowlai
2. chandram bhaja - asAveri
3. chidambaram nataraja - kedAram
4. mathangi srirAja rAjeshwari(R,N,S) - rAmamanOhari
neraval in "rAmamanOhari raakendu sankari sukha"

5. ThyagarAja namastE namastE (R,S) - begada
6. KamalAmbikE (R,S,T) - tOdi
7. sri kamalAmbikE - ghanta
8. nAga gAndhAri - nAgagAndhAri
9. sri kamalambikE - Shree rAgam

meena

Post by meena »

Deleted
Last edited by meena on 06 May 2008, 04:44, edited 1 time in total.

nhmenon

Post by nhmenon »

Dear rasikiites,
Lets pray for the great soul and his family. Its indeed a great loss for the music world.

The simple demeanour, sense of humour, pure music is all history now.

Fortunately I have recorded his last concert which he sang at Thyagaraja Vidwat samajam. He sang Dhenuka Ragm for the first time in his career on stage. He was singing it to himself and to a few of us at home for over a year but refused to sing on stage as he didnt want even an ounce of Sindhubhairavi in it.

I will upload some of his great concerts after 31.03.07.

Narendran

sumram99

Post by sumram99 »

It is really sad to hear this news!

I want to share this experience with you all.......

When I was a kid (3rd grade), we were travelling to Bangalore via Brindavan Express and he was sitting in the seat beside me. I did not know who he was but as I was busy singing Bantureeti for my grandfather, he praised me for my voice after I was done. He then told me who he was and the moment he said he was Madurai Mani Iyer's sishya, I asked him if he he could sing Tatvamariya tarama (since it was my favourite song those days). He immediately obliged and sang the whole kriti not once but thrice!!! You may wonder why thrice? That was because I kept on asking him to sing it again and again and he did not have the heart to turn me down. My father was thoroughly embarassed at my behaviour and chided me to keep quiet but Mama said that it was a pleasure for him to sing to a very young rasika who listened with total attention. He later blessed me saying that "kuzhandaikku nalla gnanam, nalla sangeetham varum, nanna paadare ma kuzhandai"

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

sumati
as a fulfilment of childhood fantasy just liten to 'tatvamaRiya tharamA' rendered by our DRS at
http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=2231&p=3
Your anecdote of T Jayaraman is heartwarming indeed!

Dear Narendran
I do look forward to listening to the maestro after your u/ls.

sumram99

Post by sumram99 »

Thank you cmlover!

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Thiruvengadu A Jayaraman (TAJ) receiving Sangeet Natak Akademi Puraskar from President Kalam on 26th August 2005:

nhmenon

Post by nhmenon »

Hi friends/Rasikiites

Heres one of my treasured experiences with the maestro.

In 2004, we travelled together to kerala to attand the wedding of a mutual friend at guruvayoor. After the wedding I was driving back to Alwaye with Jayaraman Sir sitting next to me. The rear seats were occupied by a couple from pune who had come to attend and were deeply into classical music. They wanted to know whether one could sing kalyani in carnatic style as elaborately as the hindustani musicians sang Yaman. he started singing at guruvayoor and when we reached Alwaye, after approx 2 hours, the kalyani alapana was not over. And this was without repeatation. fresh ideas flowing at will.

He then gave us a brief talk on raga singing.

A wonderful experience indeed.

regards

Narendran

nhmenon

Post by nhmenon »

This is say a big thanks to Sh.TVS who visited Jayaraman sir in his last moments and very thoughtfully, sang him his favourite Kriti, Meenakshi Memudham.

Regards

Narendran

jayakumar baradwaj

Post by jayakumar baradwaj »

beside being a graet vidwan he was a very spritual person..... i was at his home when T.V.S mama sang meenakshi me mudham dehi.... i have read in books that deekshithar attained moksham when his desciples sang the kriti.... sri. thiruvengadu jayaraman was incarnation of sri.deekshitithar. thats what i belive...coz, no one can sing the deekshithar kritis with that much of devotion and bhava like jayaram sir....

sangeetarasikan

Post by sangeetarasikan »

I remember hearing Sri. Jayaraman in Tiruvaiyyaru many years ago. Although it was a very brief slot (20 minutes maybe), he presented very soulful music. IIRC, one of the kritis he presented was a rare Tyagaraja composition (Evarunnaru in ragam Malavasri). I met spoke to him after that. What goodness and humility he radiated! It is indeed a sad moment when such truly great people leave this world.

nhmenon

Post by nhmenon »

I have just hit upon an old AIR recording where Sh.TAJ has rendered Anuragamuleni in Saraswathi with Alapana Nera val, and swaram.
A great concert worth listening to.

I cant think of many artists today who can do justice to Saraswathi ragam.

Indeed Old is Gold when it comes to Carnatic Music.

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

Two lovely video clips of the maestro:
1. SrI mahA ganapati - Gowla
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=_8L7pX4QFxA

2. nI vADa nE gAna - Saranga
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=exD8xwetSms

ragam-talam

Re: Thiruvengadu.A.Jayaraman

Post by ragam-talam »

Came across the following announcement at sangeethapriya login page:
===================================================================================
Remembering Thiruvengadu Sri. Jayaraman

On his birth anniversary, Gaanapriya Foundation invites you all

On Monday 6th Sept 2010 at Sastri Hall, Luz , Mylapore, Chennai
5.30 pm: Reminiscing Sri. Jayaraman
6:00 pm: A concert by Adoor Sri. Sudarshan accompanied by Dr. Hemalatha on violin and Patri Sri. Satish Kumar on mrudangam.

All are welcome

Sponsored by Sri. Narendranath Menon
(must be member nhmenon who started this thread!)