Tadepalli Lokanadha Sarma

Carnatic Musicians
rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Vidwan from chitoor school , perhaps the only performing vidwan from chitoor school. I had bought a cd when I attended the concert(http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7608/tadepally ... c-9th2008/ ), where he sung an entire cd of his dad brahmashri Tadepalli venkatasubrahmanya sastri's composition.

msakella gAru,
I did briefly ask sarma about you as he is from hyderabad .He said "we know each other very well and we have jointly worked a lot ". Could you throw some more pointers on him,I bet no one knows more than you in the forum?

Coolji
I think chitoor school of music has no representation other than him , if possible we need to organize his concert and video record it.

All
BTW apart from shri lokanAdha sharma and kazhugumalai kandaswamy (madurai somu's disciple) are there any vidwans/vidushis from the chitoor school .
Last edited by rajeshnat on 12 Dec 2008, 22:29, edited 1 time in total.

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

There is one more disciple of MSS by the name Madurai Swaminathan.I 've heard his concerts as a boy in Vickramasingapuram (in Nellai dt.nr.Papanasam) and even in AIR once about 20 years back.Somebody from Madurai will be able to help us about his whereabouts.

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

IMO he is the first musician to do modification in the tambura [miniature]
thanjavooran

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

thanjavooran wrote:IMO he is the first musician to do modification in the tambura [miniature]
thanjavooran
Do you mean Madurai swaminathan or tadepally lokanadha sharma

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

some 25 yrs back I travelled with Tadepallikudam Lokanatha sharma from Delhi to chennai. During our conversation he was explaining his experiment with the size and shape of the tambura .

Thanjavooran

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

http://archives.chennaionline.com/music ... sarma.html
"He does not believe in undue self projection, though this may mean considerable delay in his receiving due recognition."

rajeshnat

Re: Tadepally Lokanadha sarma

Post by rajeshnat »

:geek: has put a lovely writeup, this musician is immensely talented and has a very distinct original style of rendering the telugu krithis. I have listened to him once , his nAnAti bAduku in subhapantuvarAli (not revati)that I heard sometime in kAlakruthi is just stunning and permenantly etched in my memory

http://chennairasika.wordpress.com/2010 ... -my-music/

thenpaanan

Re:

Post by thenpaanan »

thanjavooran wrote:some 25 yrs back I travelled with Tadepallikudam Lokanatha sharma from Delhi to chennai. During our conversation he was explaining his experiment with the size and shape of the tambura .

Thanjavooran
Do you recall more about this conversation? What was he trying to achieve with the tambura?

Thanks
Then Paanan

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Extremely sorry. All that I could grasp is only ' Easy to carry ' . BTW can there be a noticeable difference in sruthi ?

Thanjavooran 01 04 2011

thenpaanan

Post by thenpaanan »

thanjavooran wrote:Extremely sorry. All that I could grasp is only ' Easy to carry ' . BTW can there be a noticeable difference in sruthi ?

Thanjavooran 01 04 2011
By "sruthi" if you mean the quality of the sound, the answer is yes. The renowned tambura maker Shri Ramji of Trichy from whom I purchased a "foldable" tambura back in 1992 told me that he had experimented with making smaller size "portable" tamburas -- he showed me a workshop full of different models. He also showed me the effect of various modifications on the tambura -- for example I asked him why we don't use steel tuners (like in a guitar) instead of the wooden pegs. He promptly showed me a working version and demonstrated that the sound becomes somewhat "metallic" i.e. biased towards higher overtones. He said that the material (steel vs wood) makes the difference in resonance. My own foldable model has metal hinges and he told me that he had to work extremely hard to compensate not only for the metal pieces but also the break in the stem where the tambura is folded. Even a few grams of extra weight can apparently change the sound. He also said that in order to produce good small tamburas he needs extremely good wood for higher resonance characteristics but that wood has to be marinated for thirty years or so!

By "sruthi" if you mean the pitch of the tambura, then the answer is "maybe". Male sruthi tamburas tend to be somewhat larger than female srithi tamburas in the North Indian version but not noticeably so in the South Indian version. The more influential design choice is the weight of the vibrating strings. Those strings have been modified significantly to fit smaller length tamburas and are an active design item even now from what I can tell. But this does change the timbre of the tambura. My own "foldable" tambura uses coiled wire strings for the manthra sa and the pa strings and regular steel strings for the other two. This causes the two sets of strings to have very different timbres and I have met people who evinced opposite preferences for coiled wire vs steel. The coiled strings produce a richer sound but it is harder to locate the tonal center of the string and hence to tune the tambura perfectly.

My tambura is nearly twenty years old now and it needs new strings -- I don't know if/where I can get replacements. I don't think that the tambura maker is still in business but I am not sure.

I don't know what modifications modern constructions use. I have seen small (acoustic) tamburas on stage on occasion that are not foldable but I have not been able to get close enough to listen carefully to the sound. Over the years I have become very persnickety about tambura sound. :-)

Anyone else care to enlighten us about modern acoustic tamburas?

-Then Paanan

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I remember a thread, two or three years ago, in which a European man shared his wisdom and experience of tambura. I seem to recall that he was persnickety too ;) so you'd probably get along with his viewpoint.

You may even have been involved in that thread at the time?

thenpaanan

Post by thenpaanan »

Nick H wrote:I remember a thread, two or three years ago, in which a European man shared his wisdom and experience of tambura. I seem to recall that he was persnickety too ;) so you'd probably get along with his viewpoint.

You may even have been involved in that thread at the time?
Perhaps you are referring to Martin Spaink? In my view, he is the greatest exponent of the acoustic tanpura on the planet today. He did interact on this forum but as I recall he was not active for very long and his stated views were very narrowly focused, much to my disappointment. A google search will show his presence on the web where he has expressed his views on the tanpura, including some debates with other members of this forum on the value of electronic tanpuras. I find some of his views on electronics too extreme, but on the question of mastery over the acoustic tanpura there is no one like him. And he is _very_ persnickety about the tanpura sound as well. He has strong opinions on how to tune, how to strum, how to sit while strumming, etc. What's not to like? :-)

-Then Paanan

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Great... you're way ahead of me with that. Thought you might be :)

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Looks like the mmgowlai and his subhapantuvarali are his preferred numbers .Review of his concert
http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday ... 698599.ece

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

smala

Tadepalli Lokanadha Sarma

Post by smala »

After listening to Varsha's upload of this artist in the Great Mathematician and Musician thread, I surfed and found this hour and half concert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1mWVXCSEWs

varsha

Re: Tadepalli Lokanadha Sarma

Post by varsha »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a9zdxwlab15154j/Tadepalli.mp3

pristine vathapi for close to half an hour.
and another pantuvarali gem that will make a member (thenpanan ?? i forget) write again about his using scrambled sections of the krithi for the neraval. link not expected to stay on for over a week due to drop box constraints.

keerthi

Re: Tadepalli Lokanatha Sarma

Post by keerthi »

There is already this thread - http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic ... =tadepalli

Please post some examples of his stream-of-consciousness neravals. I am still looking forward to the day when we hear him singing kaNTa jUDumi in latAngi again [Yes, that is the KAncipuram pAThantaram], with a remarkable neraval that would warm the cockles of VGovindan's sAhitya-sensitive heart.

harimau

Post by harimau »

A vidwan whom Sri SRJrecommends highly.

Can there be a better approbation for any musician?

varsha

Post by varsha »

Sri SRJrecommends highly.
No wonder that I find SRJ Mama adorable.
I am still looking forward to the day when we hear him singing kaNTa jUDumi in latAngi
Well , I did host / cohost his concerts thrice with this krithi on demand . On all three occasions his flights of fancy took him elsewhere :(
Initially I found it difficult to believe it , but it was indeed a case of his going into a different zone . After the concert , as we drove back home he would be silent and drained . After getting out and closing the car door he would mumble _ Sorry I missed your request .
His wife confided to me that he gets into this kind of high , hours before the start of a concert , hardly eating or drinking water .

I will try and convey my excitement with his music here , by uploading his tracks in my kitty , progressively .

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

varsha - looking forward for grand treat in coming days, especially neravals and alapanas...

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

I am looking forward to these uploads! (Drroling is more like it!)
A quick question - does Sri Sarma spell his name Lokanatha or Lokanadha? I thought it was the latter.

varsha

Post by varsha »

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/hglb2f ... atha_Sarma

This will be the default folder into which I will be uploading and retaining . As I upload , I will with a comment . This folder has all recent uploads

varsha

Post by varsha »

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/tsxg44h ... aranam.mp3

Konaro Konaro - Sankarabharanam - Annamacharya

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Forgot to mention - I very much enjoyed the Anjaneyar koil cocnert.

Some recent Thiruvaiyaru upload

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFyfbZFuZpg

and one from 1994.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41LfL4b9-hU