Madurai Mani Iyer

Carnatic Musicians

Radhakrishnan

Post by Radhakrishnan »

indeed a treat,despite poor recording quality.Ramabhadran sir's tani,soukhyam as ever,real master to maintain kaala pramaana

Rigapada

Post by Rigapada »

Dear Param,
Can you kindly upload the above songs as one or two zip-files? That will help in easy downloading for nonaccount holders in Rapidshare.
--Rigapada

param

Post by param »

Let me see what my predecessor in title can do about it - I am sure he is reading this :)

sursri

Post by sursri »

Here is a concert (AIR) with an elobarate Marverethik in Shanmugapriya. MMI is accompanied by VGN, CSM, THV and TN Balappa (Dolak).

http://rapidshare.de/files/13258069/01_ ... a.mp3.html
http://rapidshare.de/files/13259446/02_ ... a.mp3.html
http://rapidshare.de/files/13261155/03_ ... e.mp3.html

Happy listening

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Madurai Mani Iyer with B.A.Chidambaranath and B.Doraiswamy.

sriucl

Post by sriucl »

By any chance, is the person with the tampura, Thiruvengadu Jayaraman.. MMI's first disciple.

VISHNURAMPRASAD

Post by VISHNURAMPRASAD »

The Tambura artist in the above photo is Shri Vembu Iyer. This must be an early 1950s photo. Shri Thiruvengadu is not the first disciple of Shri Mani Iyer. His first well known disciple is Shri S.Rajam (the musician and artist). Later Shri Narayanan of Trichy learnt under him and became a favourite disciple (early 30s to early 40s). Narayanan also started giving performances, infact he was the first performing disciple of MMI. There is one incident which was narrated by my grandfather Shri AnanthaNarayana Iyer, a close friend and associate of Mani Iyer since early 30s. MMI was about to give a live radio concert during late 30s in the AIR, all of a sudden that morning he had a very bad throat and could not even speak. After getting the concurrence of AIR official, MMI made Narayanan sing on his behalf and that concert was highly acclaimed by rasikas. Narayanan passed away when he was very young (1942). Shri Vembu Iyer Joined MMI in the late 30s (1939 to be precise)after his brief tutelage with Maruthuvakudi Rajagopala Iyer. Vembu Iyer married Smt. Gomathi (sister of MMI) in 1944. Vembu Iyer served MMI for the rest of his life as his disciple cum personal aide. Shri Thiruvengadu Jayaraman Joined MMI in 1949 when MMI was at Mayavaram. He also learnt under Shri Vembu Iyer. He started accompanying MMI during 1956-57. The other MMI disciples were, Sethuraman (who is teaching music even now, guru of G.N.Desikan, a great admirer of MMI's style), TN Bala, a well known musician in the US, Smt. S.A.K. Durga - ethno musicologist, Late Savithri Ganesan (she was critically acclaimed for her rich resonant voice and creativity, she died in the Ariyalur train accident in 1954). A few more people including some musicians learnt under Shri Mani Iyer, for enriching their knowledge.

GN

Post by GN »

I am a new entrant to this group. Wanted to know whether there is any recording of Mani Iyer's Kamalamba in Ahiri ?

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

GN
MM IYER -negative
in fact for all other artists put together , there is only ONE teeny weeny bit
by DKJ

param

Post by param »

SangithaRasika

Post by SangithaRasika »

Does anyone have these renditions by MMI ? I havent heard anyother bedaga other than Vallaba ...

Thyagarajaya - Begada
Mahaganapathim - Thodi
Ofcourse, these 2 were picked from MMI website from VishnuRamprasad.

If they are commercial rec, then let me know the album so atleast I can pick them up the next time around.

Also, I see no updates on this website (MMI website)?

Regards,
SR

abadri

Post by abadri »

SangithaRasika

Post by SangithaRasika »

Badri,
Long time.... and as usual, thx for tht upld. Any luck on the 2 I requested ?

Regards,
SR

VISHNURAMPRASAD

Thyagarajaya Namasthe by MMI with lalgudi - murugaboopathy - alangudi (Radio 1962)

http://rapidshare.de/files/25733729/62_ ... a.mp3.html

meena

Post by meena »

vishnuprasadji

are there any video rec. available of sree MMI performing?

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Ah !
Meena .Now vishnu is going to get depressed for a week with this question.
:cry: :cry:
He yearns for locating the siblings of a lady who once showed him a MMI recording on 16mm-film and promised to screen it for him.But sadly ,she passed away.
Now all that Vishnu knows is the name of the son and the approximate location of their house.
Over to VISHNU .. Hopefully someone familair with the residents of Alwarpet two decades ago may help Vishnu in locating that family now.

Coming to think of it , Marriage videos may be a very important source of Video recordings of these masters.I know of one family , where santhanam has sung for atleast 6 concerts , on video.

I was at Coimbatore yesterday and one of my contacts there mentioned that one family had the practice of recording all Music organised by them (for marriages or other reasons) on Films.He was mentioning GRG family (not sure if i got it right ) presently headed by One Mrs Nandini Rangaswamy..
If Folks in Coimbatore can make an appeal to bring them out , they could be a great boon for posterity.

SangithaRasika

Post by SangithaRasika »

VISHNURAMPRASAD wrote:Thyagarajaya Namasthe by MMI with lalgudi - murugaboopathy - alangudi (Radio 1962)
Vishnu,
Thanks for your upload. I was out for sometime ... and I just checked this yesterday.

Regards,
SR

srivatsan

Post by srivatsan »

Can someone please post Samaja varagama and Apparama Bhakthi by MM Iyer..?

PUTHAN

Post by PUTHAN »

Can some one forward Madurai mani iyer's
'Koluvama regada 'in Thodi

Regards
RK

ramchari

Post by ramchari »

Puthan,

here is Koluva Maragatha by Sri MMI.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ULIOSM37

PUTHAN

Post by PUTHAN »

Hi Ramchari

Thank you very much for the forward. It was really fantastic ,

Thankyou once agian and god bless you

Regards

Puthan

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Here's a poignant moment - GN Desikan talks about MMI:
http://file.uploadr.com/cd04

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

http://www.vidvan.com/musician/mmiyer/index.htm
Continuing on this topic of the obvious difference that characterized M.M., one has only to recollect the utter simplicity of his concert dress. While Jarigai veshti-angavastram, diamond earrings and profusion of gold chains etc. were so common in those days, M.M.'s typical kacheri dress was a white khadi shirt and a four cubit dhoti...
There was a gentleness and grace in his stage manners which is still a lesson for performers of today.
Hope today's musicians (esp women) take a cue from such great souls.
(Btw, this site has a few lovely downloadable recordings of MMI.)

new1

Post by new1 »

Are there any recordings of MMI available with PMI on the mridangam? I have not heard any at least... based on internet downloads/cd purchases. Was there any rivalry / other personal reasons for this or is it just that most available recordings are with other mridangam artistes?

nhmenon

Post by nhmenon »

There are quite a few concerts with MMI and PMI. Will upload some of them for you.

Regards

Narendran

nhmenon

Post by nhmenon »

On the subject, I remember a quote of Palghat Mani Iyer narrated to me by Late Sh.Thiruvengadu jayaraman, Senior disciple of MMi. PMI one remarked" I admit I am Palghat mani Iyer, the leading light for all percussionists. but I aalso admit that in MMIs concerts, I could never attain the levels of liberty which palani could!!!< thats stunning humility for such a great artiste.

pl allow me a weeks time to upload some MMI PMI concerts.

Regards

Narendran

SangithaRasika

Post by SangithaRasika »

new1,
while you wait, here is one - http://www.sangeethapriya.org/~vinay/MMI/MMI-TNK-PMI-1/ - where you can download MMI/PMI concert. Thanks to Vinay who has uploaded it in Sangeethapriya.org If you have not visited this please do so.

SR

new1

Post by new1 »

SangithaRasika wrote:new1,
while you wait, here is one - http://www.sangeethapriya.org/~vinay/MMI/MMI-TNK-PMI-1/ - where you can download MMI/PMI concert. Thanks to Vinay who has uploaded it in Sangeethapriya.org If you have not visited this please do so.

SR
Thanks very much for the link...started download! I have visited the site but it is hard to find stuff there because of too many directories/sub-directories..

ignoramus

Post by ignoramus »

is that PMI on the mridangam? sounds quite different to me in style and tone

SangithaRasika

Post by SangithaRasika »

I had this concert before and it suggested the same vidwans ! I leave it to the experts to correct if its not PMI so that I can also correct my notes.

SR

nhmenon

Post by nhmenon »

The thani does sound different. But This concert tape was gifted to me by a MMI and PMI fan who had attended the concert live. The venue was Indian Fine Arts.

So we could rely on the information which SR has.

Rgds

Narendran

mahesh33

Post by mahesh33 »

I recently heard an artist called Sri GN Desikan under a concert titled as MMI. He appears to be a student of MMI, and sounds like MMI...Is this due to a recording artifact or have others observed this too? Perhaps oldtimers can throw more light on this...
Last edited by mahesh33 on 11 May 2007, 07:22, edited 1 time in total.

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Mahesh -
see here for a concert of GN Desikan: http://www.sangeethapriya.org//Download ... sikan.html

Around the 2nd half of this concert GND talks about his guru, MMI.

VISHNURAMPRASAD

To Mr.Mahesh and others,

About GN Desikan......

Shri GN Desikan was a great admirer of Mani Iyer, he did not learn music under the great
master. He learnt from one of MMI's direct disciple Shri Sethuraman (who never came to lime light, but had a good repertoire and was teaching music at Saidapet for a very long time).

GN Desikan and Shrivanchiyam Mani Iyer were casting a short spell amongst MMI's rasikas during 1970's when MMI rasikas were still mourning the premature death of the great Vidwan at the age of 55 while he had another solid 20 years to be spent in music like the great GNB, who was also snatched away by the heaven at the same age.

By the word "short spell" it is clear that their popularity could not last long as they tried to imitate Mani Iyer's accent thinking that will cast a great appeal among his fans. Their singing could appeal to only those who had heard MMI only during his last days (say his last 4 years). Their imitation was not on MMI style but on MMI "accent" and syllables like "la la la, ooye, etc.." that he used poignantly during his last few years of his career, where age and ill health took a toll in his life.

Whoever heard GN Desikan or Shrivanchiyam Mani could only hear the weakened accent of MMI from them, the accent which was still appealing when MMI sang for it had "the Mani sparkle" which could never be reproduced by any of his imitators or disciples for that matter, i have many samples to illustrate the inimitable sparkle.

Thus GND's SM's career had just a couple of years of shine then it got faded away in the original musics of great legends like MDR, Somu, DKJ, Voletti, Nedunuri, Santhanam, Seshu and TVS.

GND, though initially tried to be an imitator like Shrivanchiyam Mani, later expanded his reportoire with lots of Purandaradasar Krithis and other kannada krithis. He also pursued his career as a Sales Executive in a popular company and apart from teaching and singing. He has been conducting music classes since 1970s and he dedicates one festival every year in the name of MMI and unviels his photo every year in his school and does Guru Pooja for MMI.

There is one more imitator of the MMI accent called Shri K.R.Saranathan, but one could find that his approach to the raagas are radically different to that of MMI school. He performs in chennai very frequently, coolkarniji might have heard or come across all these 3 MMI imitators.

I recently happened to see an article by TVS on MMI that was written during late 1970s where he thoroughly explains the MMI style and it's characteristics and admits that the MMI style has many qualities that is so original that other's trying to imitate those unique qualities cannot invoke the same bhaavam. That is why TVS chose to drift away from just imitating his mentor's accent and sang with a higher pitch and phase that could suit his Vibrant voice.

Shri Thiruvengad is another original performer who attained siddhi in the "Naada Vidya" like Shri MMI. Till his last breathe he was a great Guru bhakta and had all the great human qualities like his mentor, he was never Money Minded, liberal in Vidhya Dhaanam and was humilty personified. Like MMI he has also sang for his soul and sang with great bhakthi and was primarily a Nada upasaka who first dedicated his music to god before singing for the public. An authority in Apoorva Ragas, had a great reportoire of the trinity krithis apart from many Dasar padams and rare tamil compositions. A research scholar in Dikshithar music who kept all his learnings as his "Anubhavams" and spiritually proceeded in the path of Shri Dikshithar. Shri Thiruvengad was a great Devi bhaktha who attained siddhi while listening to Meenakshi Memudam Dehi. He was a rare phenomenon this daring age of kali. May his soul rest in peace.

Sorry for this long post.. just thoughts came pouring in! Namaskarams to everybody.

Vishnu

VISHNURAMPRASAD

MMI and Palghat Mani Iyer.

MMI and Palghat Mani Iyer had been sharing the dias since 1940s and they had a very good rapport between them. They performed together in the Indian Fine Arts Society for more than two decades during the december season concert. PMI has played for of MMIconcert along with Chowdia. The combination was called MANI-CHOWDIA-MANI by many of the Mani Fans (both the Manis).

Since Mani Iyer's music was more sarvalaghu oriented and devoid of any kanakkus PMI could not use his special spontaneous solkattus that he used to bring out while accompanying Ariyakudi / Semmangudi or Alathur. Since Madurai Mani Iyer knew the taste of PMI he used to sing lots of Thyagara krithis and the ghana ragas to the liking of PMI. In fact in many recordings that I have of MMI with PMI, MMI had even tried nadai bedhams during Swara renderings (from Chatusram to Thisram) while singing Kapali, Mohanarama, Bhavanutha etc.). There are lots of MMI/PMI concerts where both of them getting aligned very well while swara singing as well as krithi singing. The commercially available Thodi RTP concert of MMI which starts with Vathapi and has Sahasrakara, chakkaniraja, mohana rama before the great RTP is an MMI/PMI concert with violin by MSG. Please listen to Vathapi swara rendering you can find PMI getting along very well with MMI. While listening to MMI with PMI in many concerts, I have noticed a certain amount of difference in MMI's krithi/swara rendering which were not to be found in his other concerts, I leave this observations to other MMI rasikas, if they could get the same feeling.

But it was Palani no doubt who was more closer to MMI style of music and their combination was always great amongst the rasikas. The difference was the rich tonal variation of Palani's fingering techniques that could create a great effect with MMI's subtle voice.

Shri Thiruvengad Jayaraman used to always remind about one 1950s concert held in Hyderabad, MMI with Chowdia and PMI where MMI sang an eloborate Kambhoji, expanding in all the 3 octaves and took to thanam singing with the accompaniment of PMI and followed it up with a 4 kalai pallavi! That was a very rare concert and according to Thiruvengadu was a revelation for him and many other rasikas as to how MMI can take the concert to a new level using the strengths of the accompanists. That concert stood refreshing in his Memory, though he could not tell me if recording was done for the concert!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Vishnuramprasad,
Thank you for your illuminating post. In earlier days when getting consumer goods from abroad was a rarity, the profiteers sold things with 'made AS in England' in fine print on the product! As I listen to the recording, I see exactly what you mean. A good singer, no doubt, but something like an Elvis impersonator.
I am happy we have Suryaprakash now. I spot some of the fans in his concerts who still miss MMI and listen to him, not
being able to see his music any other way (You can tell when he sings any song from the MMI repertoire in the way they react to them).
Suryaprakash and his guru are more than mere imitators of the glorious MMI...

arasi

Post by arasi »

VRP,
Our posts crossed. Thanks for the second post as well.

mahesh33

Post by mahesh33 »

Dear VISHNURAMPRASADji,

that was insightful and incredibly interesting, that personal connection you seem to ave had with the great vidwan is not available in any book, I cant think.....perhaps you can tell us more about your experiences in the early days of MMI...I have read that he was so attached to his mother, that he would not leave anywhere without seeing her, and many times came back inside the house just to have another look at her...

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Welcome Back Vishnu,
With your penchant for going out of our radar screens , you surely are the Greta Garbo of our times.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

vishnurAmprasad,
That was a beautiful explanation of PMI or Pazhani vs MMI. To me both combinations are excellent ,with pazhani one notch higher . While PMI fills up the silences so well ,the sarvalaghu filling up of pazhani going so close to mmi's sarvalaghu was always a delight.

Also I see few vellore ramabadhran's accompaniment very very interesting. I am told by my periappa's that the young vellore ramabadhran(who was relatively unknown then) was spotted by mmi, and there was a lot of eyebrows raised at early stages of the way vellOre played. After few years(post 1968) everyone inclusive of ssi wanted vellore ramabadhran to accompany.

I am always told that the greatest of great mmi concerts were sung in mAyavaram when he took shelter there fearing world war II bombing in madras and stayed there for quite a few years. Do you have anyinsight??

I had an interesting insight of mmi from one of the concerts during those years (IIRC,I think it was noted caterer arusuvai natarAjan who told this) . Once mmi gave a temple concert close to 4 hours concert somewhere in and around mayavaram. The mayuram aduthurai math priest decided to garland mmi at the end of 4 hour concert. The flowers had to get tied as they were loose flowers (in tamil we call it as uthiri pookAl). It takes close to 1 hour for that process of preparing a garland. While they were at the business of doing that , MMI sang an hour full of chakkani rAja in kharaharapriya from 4th to 5th hour of the concert.
Last edited by rajeshnat on 13 May 2007, 00:04, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

What a story, Rajesh! MMI was a fusion of great music and humility and to serve the rasikas all his days was his mantra...

VISHNURAMPRASAD

One more anectode related to add Arasi's statement :

1965 Ramanavi concert at Grifith Road Ramakrishna Mission grounds (next to Mupaathamman temple), now very close to Krishna Ghana Sabha. The concert started at 7 with Vathapi, the main items were Mohana Rama and Rama Nee samaana, then came Thani Avarthanam followed by Kavava, Shri rangapura vihara, Ra ra ra seetharamani manohara, virutham in kedaragowla, slokam in kaanada and sindhubhairavi, jonpuri, eppovaruvaaro, notes.... and MMI turns back to ask vembu iyer whether he can conclude as it was 10.30 pm already, suddenly there is a voice that shouts MAAYE paadungo! No hesitation, the next second MMI gets into Madhyama shruthi and just gives few seconds for TNK to shift to madhyamam. Sings maye and then comes one bones Thillana in senchurutti. Then finally he asks.. mudichukkalaama! and then proceeds to sing Mangalam......

Shri Sethalapathi Balu mama once narratted me how MMI explained shri Vembu Iyer who wanted to conclude the concert (when there was request for Kandhan Karunai came after 4 hours of the concert) as MMI was not feeling well that day. MMI explained that "dei avan indha paata kekathaan aasayaa vandhiruppaan paavam" then starts kandan karunai puriyum!!!

My grandpa used to say that it was almost a daily event in his concerts! The other stalwart who sings with the same spirit till the end of the concert.. perhaps with more verve during the last hour of the concert is... madurai somu!!!!

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

Is it MMI-TC-UKS ?

arasi

Post by arasi »

Have I related this story before? I am not sure.
A brand new mother, I was traveling to Tirunelveli in a train with my three month old baby. It was the end of 1964. On the station platform in Madurai, I saw a vendor selling a colorful stuffed parrot which came attached to a thick rubber strand. I promptly bought and tied it to the upper berth, to amuse my daughter. A party of men had settled in the other side of the compartment unobtrusively. Once the train started, the singing began. My daughter who was fascinated to see the parrot bobbing up and down, averted her eyes and started paying attention to the music. MMI, Vembu Iyer and the accompanists were my fellow passengers! I was thrilled. MMI was singing (humming) almost throughout our journey. Holding the child in my arms and listening to his voice which wafted towards me was a moving experience. All that I could mumble as we reached our destination was a feeble 'namaskAram' which was acknowledged by him with a genial smile. I coudn't wait to babble about my great experience to my sister-in-law. She merely said, 'iru, sAyankAlamAnAl innum kEtkalAm, saridAnE?' (Wait till this evening. You can hear some more).
Sure enough, among hundreds of fans, I sat with my child on my lap and listened to the full throated sweetness of MMI's music that evening...:)
Last edited by arasi on 15 May 2007, 19:45, edited 1 time in total.

mahesh33

Post by mahesh33 »

Arasi, and Vishnuramprasadji,

Many thanks for those stories. There are many yesteryear artists that I have not seen and watched in real life...if I had to choose one artist who's concert I could go back in time for, MMI would rank right on top of my list....

sankirnam

Post by sankirnam »

that photo is MMI-MGP-UKS, Vembu Iyer is putting tambura

knarayanan

Post by knarayanan »

"I am always told that the greatest of great mmi concerts were sung in mAyavaram when he took shelter there fearing world war II bombing in madras and stayed there for quite a few years. Do you have anyinsight??"

Its true that MMI lived in Mayavaram, however I amn't sure if it was because of world war II fearing the bombing. In those days, lot of vidvans(regardless of where they were originally from) lived in the old composite tanjore district, given the wide patronage and other factors. For example, Ariyakudi, Semmangudi, Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer, Umayalpuram K iyer et al all lived in Kumbakonam for many years(BTW, Semmangudi, Maharajapuram, Umayalpuram are all villages close to Kumbakonam) before moving up to Madras in the late fiftees. I believe Ariyakudi lived in Kumbakonam almost until this demise in 1967.

K. Narayanan

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

knarayanan wrote:"I am always told that the greatest of great mmi concerts were sung in mAyavaram when he took shelter there fearing world war II bombing in madras and stayed there for quite a few years. Do you have anyinsight??"

Its true that MMI lived in Mayavaram, however I amn't sure if it was because of world war II fearing the bombing.

K. Narayanan
My source is http://maduraimani.tripod.com/id4.html

During 1941-42 Mani Iyer moved to Dubhaash agraharam in Mayavaram due to the evacuation of Madras owing to World War II. Perhaps vishnu can clarify more..