Madurai Mani Iyer

Carnatic Musicians
venkatakailasam

Re: Madurai Mani Iyer

Post by venkatakailasam »

Some more information on Smt Savithri Ganesan provided by Shri balummi and Shri Vishnuram prasd and details of her concert at at Music Acadamy are provided at this

http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=14210

venkatakailasam

Shivadasan

Post by Shivadasan »

It is unfortunate that set of persons have started a debate as to whether MMI deserves to be called a great. TMK could have stopped short of writing the book on greats and need not have displayed his irrational thinking and limited knowledge by explaining why he had not chosen MMI or any other musician.

TNR and MALI had talents which were unachievable and stood tall above all others. Even MSS had a special combination of voice, sruthi and diction which became ideal for many. MSG had taken violin to an unattainable height. Balachandar did to Veena what Vilayat Khan had done for Sitar. Dakshinamurthy Pillai was legend whom even PMI adored and respected. These artists were all time greats . In the vocal music, ARI, GNB,SSI were of course top high calibre musicians of the day but not in any way so highly gifted as to be placed far ahead of stalwarts like MVI, MMI, Chembai, Musiri, Dhanammal, MLV, DKP, MDR, Balamurali, etc. nor can they be considered all time greats . These trio had certain unique capabilities through which they distinguished themselves just as each of the other artist had his/her own uniqueness. The only thing that distinguished from others is their capacity to attract crowds. But again in this area MMI was equally popular among the public.

Over the past 60 years I have heard almost all the carnatic musicians and most of the Hindustani musicians including Omkarnath Thakur, Vilayat Hussain Khan, Ratan Jankar, Ahmedjan Thirakwa, Krishnarao Shankar Pandit, Narayan Rao Vyas, Vinayak Rao Patwardhan etc. . I had close personal contact with very high calibre musicians in CM & HM. I have also developed a deep understanding of HM.

After a long gap I have come back to listen to CM (attracted to it by its spiritual base) and I am thankful for the rasikas for providing me the links for some excellent music. After having listened to the highly tuneful music of HM, when I heard the CM recordings, I found that that the music of those musicians whom I had ranked very high in my younger days were after all, were not of the standard I had initially thought them to be . All their blemishes came to the fore. I have lost respect for many of them.

Earlier , even though I liked his swara prastharam, I did not have much regard for MMI particularly because his rendering of songs were not majestic. But when I heard MMI now, after 4 decades and after absorbing the essence of music of HM greats, I was able understand how great he was, how much he got immersed into the ragas, how tuneful he was and how he was in an ecstasy while singing. I had moved very closely with many famous CM musicians and had heard their vulgar jokes and sarcastic comments about other musicians, which they indulged in private. But only MMI (and LGJ) was very sober and it was a pleasure to be in his company, just watching him.

When I hear MMI recordings I feel a pleasant feeling of floating in music. He was effortless in his presentations. When I hear others it is clear to me how they were putting in great efforts to do their contrived presentation. Most of the combinations appear to be the result of a lot of practice and not on account of involvement with the ragas. Their music , with rare exceptions, were neither inspired nor effortless .

MMI was a genius. He was the first person to popularize CM among the lay public with his swara prasthara. No one could so far successfully repeat his style of presentation. It is unfortunate that people, even talented musicians, do not appreciate his greatness. It must be because they do not have the respectful approach to CM as MMI had. To state that he did not deserve to be in the list of great musicians is a disservice to the cause of CM.
Shivadasan

Sathej

Post by Sathej »

Though I am generally not a big fan of TMK's several excursions at superficial reasoning, I don't quite understand the misgivings this time. From what I understand, this is just his opinion (if at all), and he has gone on to say why he thinks so. And moreover, whenever there is such a Top 7 or Top whatever list, every one has his/her own preferences. If TMK thinks MMI does not belong there, it is his opinion. After all, not everyone needs to have the same 'greats' list. I too, for one, am not very enthused by MMI/SSI's music as much as say Alathur/GNB/TSK. However, that does not mean anything beyond the fact that its my personal preference, and if I were to write an article tomorrow with a list of 'great' musicians and leave out a few in favour of others, it would just be my perception. MMI or SSI or any musician who has made a mark in whatever manner, does not need anyone to certify the same, neither would they themselves expect every person to appreciate their style of singing !

Sathej

kapali

Post by kapali »

Prince Rama Verma`s fitting and lengthy tribute to MMI`s music a couple of years ago perhaps truly and exactly reflects the way MMI`s music captivated the rasikas and admirers that thronged his concerts in the 50`s and 60`s.
Incidentally in an earlier post mention was made about MMI`s Vasudevayani --- The highlight of that piece was his exquisite niraval at ' Raaga thaala' , as MMI brings out the subtle and sublime touch of kalyani raga

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

Some of the soul stirring recordings of MMI especially a sedate rendering of Charukesi for 40 minutes can be found if this link is followed http://www.mediafire.com/?uyvu42fclpcgm

venkatakailasam

Shri. Balummi-
Adamudigalade wonderful charukesi even though it ends with raga alapana.
Thanks for the link. I have a shorter version only.

venkatakailasam

Sorry ... now I got the next part also..It is complete now.

Enna_Solven

Post by Enna_Solven »

Balummi sir, thank you for the concerts. I love your way of encoding concert/accompanists details in the first three files. Neat!

pvs

Post by pvs »

Shri Balummi,
Thanks for sharing these gems. MMI rules over the world of CM with his effortless magnificence. I lost a few hours without noticing the time listening to his S'priya, A'bhairavi and Arabhi among others. Is there a recording of him handling nattakurinji in detail? Like a RTP or something like Kuvalayadala Nayana? I have listened to his budhamasrayami and it makes me want more. thanks again! Sheer bliss...

venkatakailasam

Please listen to them at http://myblogkumara.blogspot.com/

venkatakailasam

chetants

Post by chetants »

Dear Rasikas,
Well, well, well! Did not see TMK's "endorsement" of the 7 Greats of CM and everyone's comments till now.
May I take the liberty to sum up the feelings and thougths about MMI's music on behalf of all his die-hard rasikas?
While the music of all the Vidwans/Vidushis of yesteryears could be compared to different flavors of swimming and their variants like freestyle, trudgen crawl, backstroke, butterfly stroke, breaststroke, snorkeling, dog paddle, sidestroke, scuba-diving, windsurfing et al in the ocean of Carnatic Music, MMI is the ONE and ONLY Vidwan, who in my opinion bodysurfs effortlessly on top of a tsunami(with apologies and due respects to the victims of the same) and comes out in flying colors every time unscathed, soaking rasikas in pure unadulterated joy!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Maver ... _2010b.jpg

If MMI's "Isai" could create "Asai" in a sanyasi like the revered Kanchi Paramacharya himself, it is deiveega sangeetham(music for the GODs) that is probably beyond the realm of ordinary musicians like TMK. Grow up, TMK and try to figure out what makes MMI occupy a special place in the hearts of all rasikas, otherwise you are sure to "drown" in the ocean of CM.

Purist

Post by Purist »

Well said 'chetants'. I liked your 'isai' and 'asai' reference very much.

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

Dear Chetants,
I very much like your comments on MMI's music , something similar to that of Raja Rama Varma ! . Similar comment had also emanated from highly respected Sri Jaggi Vasudev of Isha Yoga Centre.One rasika while listening to the monthly concert of MMI last month told me that Jaggi was being interviewed by Sri Pandit Jasraj of Hindustani fame for a TV Channel and he had said that he ( Jaggi) in his younger days was making fun of MMI's music and would run away from the place where his father , a devotee of MMI, used to play his old gramaphone records repeatedly . It took him several decades to realise that if one is able to truely appreciate MMI with invovement no yogic meditation is necessary , he can directly reach GOD without any intermediary!

Enna_Solven

Post by Enna_Solven »

Balummi sir,
I am cleaning the tape noise from the songs. It is so wonderful to hear his voice without the noise. If I have your permission I can post it back on mediafire.

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

Dear Enna_Solven ,
No permission is necessary from me for anything as also from MMI . When somebody asked permission from him for recording his concert , he asked him " is that necessary? . See , there are countless no. of tape machines allover this dias , did anybody get my permission? Pl. allow me some space for sitting! "
I am eagerly waiting for the improved set of recordings .I have forgotten my password for entering the mediafire as it is remembered by my laptop . my email id for entering the media fire is balummi@gmail.com . I have posted only about 3GB of MMi out of 22GB . I do not know how much I am allowed. Shall I try to store all my collections? Only rasikas should tell.

Enna_Solven

Post by Enna_Solven »

Thank you sir. I had trouble with the RTP-Begada and the following songs (25-28). Worked late into night but didn't complete. Here is my favorite MMI viruttham:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/vgq95neer ... uttham.mp3

I will upload the rest once I am done.

sruthi

Post by sruthi »

Am re-posting this from the lounge:

Madurai Mani Iyer was a well-read person who took a lot of interest in various areas outside of music.
Read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madurai_Ma ... autodidact

"Madurai Mani Iyer was indeed passionate about music but he had other interests too and one of them was the English language. Though a school drop out, Mani Iyer mastered this language and an anecdote goes that he would trudge from his house in Mylapore all the way to the Connemara Library to pick up books in the Queen's language. He loved Bernard Shaw and was a fan of Charlie Chaplin. A compulsive listener of both the English and the Tamil news, Mani Iyer was a keen observer of politics too."

venkatakailasam

Shri balummi
"I do not know how much I am allowed. Shall I try to store all my collections? Only rasikas should tell."
Mediafire:

As I gathered from the site:

Unlimited Uploads
All accounts can upload an unlimited number of files. ( Both free and professional)
Unlimited Downloads
You can share your files an unlimited number of times.
Share Huge Files
200MB /for free accounts
venkatakailasam

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

Dear all ,
Please follow the link below to download Ayodhya Mandapam Concert 1964

http://www.mediafire.com/?e999kxo6x97b9

venkatakailasam

From wiki:
"Iyer's prodigious talents were recognized early in his age as he received various honours from dignitaries of that time. In 1927, a music conference took place at the Congress session in Avadi. In that was arranged a programme on the 72 melaragamalika of Maha Vaidyanatha Iyer. Mani's father expounded on the theoretical aspect of the composition while Mani sang. Father and son walked away with the awards.

has he ever sing the 72 melaragamalika of Sivan subsequently?

venkatakailaam

cacm

Post by cacm »

venkatakailasam wrote:From wiki:
"Iyer's prodigious talents were recognized early in his age as he received various honours from dignitaries of that time. In 1927, a music conference took place at the Congress session in Avadi. In that was arranged a programme on the 72 melaragamalika of Maha Vaidyanatha Iyer. Mani's father expounded on the theoretical aspect of the composition while Mani sang. Father and son walked away with the awards.

venkatakailaam
Apparently he was asked to give a concert too!....Reg Maha Vaidyanatha Sivan's 72 Melakartha Ragamalikai there are no accounts of his rendering them in a PUBLIC CONCERT as his preferred mode was to choose 10-12 songs for each season that he can specialize each year & this monumental composition would not have fitted in this scheme as he was interested in popularizing the songs he rendered & he might have considered it too complex. Of course I am only speculating but it was well known that his CURIOSITY level was such he probably learnt them as his repertiore was so large & what we have heard in concerets or recordings are ONLY A FRACTION of it. Too bad the recording tools available at that time as well as the knowledge to use them was quite primitive. VKV

cacm

Post by cacm »

venkatakailaam
Apparently he was asked to give a concert too!....Reg Maha Vaidyanatha Sivan's 72 Melakartha Ragamalikai there are no accounts of his rendering them in a PUBLIC CONCERT as his preferred mode was to choose 10-12 songs for each season that he can specialize each year & this monumental composition would not have fitted in this scheme as he was interested in popularizing the songs he rendered & he might have considered it too complex. Of course I am only speculating but it was well known that his CURIOSITY level was such he probably learnt them as his repertiore was so large & what we have heard in concerets or recordings are ONLY A FRACTION of it. Too bad the recording tools available at that time as well as the knowledge to use them was quite primitive. VKV

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

I never knew that MMI had sung this 72 melakartha number, that was news to me

annamalai

Post by annamalai »

venkatakailaam
Melachakramalika of Vaidhyanatha Sivan was passed on to Sabesa Iyer (Annanmalai University) by his father who was a disciple and violinist of Maha Vaidhyanatha Sivan. Sabesa Iyer on to Musiri Subramanya Iyer and the many Annamalai University students. So, Musiri, S. Ramanthan and others have sung this ragamalika ... Mudicondan Venkatrama Iyer has sung Maha Vaidhynatha Iyer krithis, Simhanandana tala pallavi, and thillana in Simhanandana tala in Kamboji.

Balummi, a great concert, excellent quality recording ...

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

Dear All ,
Please follow the link to access my mediafire storage to download some of the excellent recordings of MMI Mani - 01 http://www.mediafire.com/?74d9gkv98dzr5

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Monthly MMI meet - Address
Renganathan E N
#4/4, Kumudh Apartments (1st Floor, Road-facing entrance)
Lakshmipuram 1st Street,
Royapettah,
Chennai-600 014
Ph: +91 900 302 7857
When
Sat APRIL 30TH, 6pm – 8pm
Where
MMI centenary celebrations monthly listening session
contact S.Venugopalan ph 9841313527

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Dear ALL,
PLEASE PUBLISH THIS IN YOUR EVENTS COLUMN OF 1ST MAY ADYAR TIMES!
SUBJECT
CHITTI-MMI--GUHAN REMEMBRANCE DAY!I
SPEAKERS-S/S KRA NARASIAH,SRI CL RAMAKRISHNAN IPS ,SRI KO SELVAM AIR Rt
VENUE VIDYYA VILASAM NO 9 THIRD CROSS ST DR RADHAKRISHNAN NAGAR
TIRUVANMIYUR CHENNAI 41 Behind AXIS BANK &AIRTEL SASTRINAGAR
TIME 5-30 PM MAY 1ST SUNDAY 2011
EVENT MMIs MUSIC FOR 45 MINUTES
MUNCH HIGH TEA &SNACKS

CONTACT VENU S/O CHITTI CELL 98413 13527 0675&Kuppusamy nephew GUHAN PH 2452 0675

annamalai

Post by annamalai »

Balummi wrote:Dear all ,
Please follow the link below to download Ayodhya Mandapam Concert 1964

http://www.mediafire.com/?e999kxo6x97b9
One of the underestimated aspects is the vocal support of TS Vembu Iyer. In terms of vocal support, very melodious - perfect sruthi, not singing thru' every sangathi in detail, but filling the gaps beautifully, that requires terrific anticipation. a couple of examples @ 33 sec or @ 40 sec of Sree RangapuraVihara ... I understand Musiri had high praise for TS Vembu Iyer.

BTW, I also love the vocal support of Maharajapuram santhanam for Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer.
The contrast is Santhanam sings the krithi - MVI sings all the ornamentation sangathis for the krithi; for e.g. in Orajupu (kannadagowla) the way, MVI sings Neerajaksha Manu...

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

CHITTI-MMI--GUHAN REMEMBRANCE DAY!I
SPEAKERS-S/S KRA NARASIAH,SRI CL RAMAKRISHNAN IPS ,SRI KO SELVAM AIR Rt
VENUE VIDYYA VILASAM NO 9 THIRD CROSS ST DR RADHAKRISHNAN NAGAR
TIRUVANMIYUR CHENNAI 41 Behind AXIS BANK &AIRTEL SASTRINAGAR
TIME 5-30 PM MAY 1ST SUNDAY 2011
EVENT MMIs MUSIC FOR 45 MINUTES
MUNCH HIGH TEA &SNACKS

CONTACT VENU S/O CHITTI CELL 98413 13527 0675&Kuppusamy nephew GUHAN PH 2452 0675

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Renganathan E N
Lakshmipuram 1st Street,
Royapettah,
Chennai-600 014
When
Sat APRIL 30TH, 6pm – 8pm
Where

ananthnagarajan

Post by ananthnagarajan »

Dear Balummi, VKV:

My name is Anantharaman Nagarajan and this is my first posting on this site. I keenly follow all postings on this site.

I started listening to Carnatic Music because of Madurai Mani Iyer. It began with a cassette my IIT batch mate gave me. It had Orajoopu, Kaapali, Parimala Rangapathe and Thaye Yeshodha.

It also had a somewhat static-ridden recording of Mariveradikkevarayya Rama in Shanmugapriya. This seems to be an isolated piece taken from a concert somewhere. It is by far the best rendering of Shanmugapriya I have heard - with an elaborate Alapana, neraval (they talk about his swaras, but they should listen to this neraval) and easy paced, very smooth swara kalpana. I would rank this masterpiece even ahead of MMI's own RTP, "Mahatma Mani Mozhi Vazhi Nadappom".

In any case, both of you must have a treasure trove. Would it be possible at all to get a hard copy from you? Please let me know.

Thank you very much for spreading the music of this wonderful vocalist, which has really transcended time. I was born much later after he passed away, I have only heard anecdotes about him from my father, but, I listen to his music pretty much every day. I owe a lot to Shri MMI for adding such a delectable dimension to my life.

Regards,
Anantharaman N.

ananthnagarajan

Dear Balummi, VKV:

Also, is it true that his repertoire of kritis was limited? I can vouch for the fact that he has sung numerous ragas, but it does appear that in each raga, he sings one or two kritis repeatedly. Of course, I cannot conclude this just based on my limited set of recordings.

Both of you have listened to numerous concerts by MMI. How rich was his repertoire of kritis?

Thanks a lot,
Anantharaman N.

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

Dear Anantharaman ,
Your postings in these columns are interesting . Questions about MMI's reportire
which many rasikas ask , if Iam not mistaken , is like asking whether Albert Einstein knows any other theory other than the Spl. and General theories of Relativity and ofcourse the Photo electric effect in Physics . We should put these questions only to a budding Vidwan and not to a recognised Genius like MMI . Even Saint Thiagaraja might not be ablle to recognise ,while he was alive,his own compositions composed years earlier!
He had himself said and also confirmed by Dr. SAK Durga who was his desciple for 12 years that he had been singing only rare compositions in rare ragas and never ragas like Thodi or Khamboji in his early years and repetitions also were very rare . His audience were thinning out during each concert and my father who had been to his concert in Tripplicane in early 30's there were only 9 rasikas when the concert
ended ! And it was only later on he learnt that people liked only Gana Ragas and also they want only a particular composition in those ragas from him . Subbudu , the music writer , had once told and it actually happened in Delhi that as soon as the concert started , MMI could not sing even a single request from the list of songs that he (Subbudu) suggested as numerous requests by way of mouth , paper bits , VIP requests etc were poring in to sing Kaana Kann Koti , Ka Va Va , Eppo Varu , Ma Janaki etc. etc. This clearly suggests that general public wanted only those kritis that he was famous for and never deviate from that list !
I have nearly some 160 concerts of MMI and had uploaded many suggesting the links in these columns . Did you not find them? I am unaware of your place of residence and E Mail address so that I can try to send using send space.com . My email address is simply balummi@gmail.com
Thank you
Balu Mama ( as many call me)

ananthnagarajan

> And it was only later on he learnt that people liked only Gana Ragas and also they want only a particular composition in those ragas from him.

That makes a lot of sense, particularly at a time when recordings were scarce. For many rasikas, the only way to listen to a Vidwan's music was in concerts.

I have sent you an email about the recordings to balummi@gmail.com

Thank you very much,
Anantharaman N.

ananthnagarajan

Another complete masterpiece is Vinayakuni in Madhyamavathi. I have a recording from Sangeethapriya, which imho is the best rendition of Madhyamavathi - Raga, Krithi, Neraval and Swaras. Listen to his nerval in "Anaada Rakhaki Kaamakshi"! My father told me he sang this Krithi in Bangaru Kamakshi Amman Koil in Thanjavur (which is where I did all my schooling).

For some reason, Marivere (Shanmugapriya) and this Kriti are not talked of as much as many of his other popular krithis.

ananthnagarajan

My father recalls this particular concert in Thanjavur Bangaru Kamakshi Amman Koil. The temple is near the intersection of West Main Street and North Main Street. Both streets were filled up with people and after sometime one couldn't even go near the kuthery mandapam. Having grown up near this place, I can easily relate to my father's account.

He always says, "Enda Vidwan Eppadi vena paadattum. Kootam venumna, Madurai Mani thaan." According to him, "Madurai Mani was the single greatest crowd puller. Pundits, laymen, even Britishers used to swarm his concerts".

cacm

Post by cacm »

ananthnagarajan wrote:Dear Balummi, VKV:

Also, is it true that his repertoire of kritis was limited? I can vouch for the fact that he has sung numerous ragas, but it does appear that in each raga, he sings one or two kritis repeatedly. Of course, I cannot conclude this just based on my limited set of recordings.

Both of you have listened to numerous concerts by MMI. How rich was his repertoire of kritis?

Thanks a lot,
Anantharaman N.
Dear A.N.,
I can assure you that MMI was considered to have the LARGEST repertoire among Musicians of his time. Having personally discussed with him myself I can clearly state that what he sang & what is available is a mere fraction of the songs he knew. I can say with CONFIDENCE that he did not render a majority of them because he chose 10-12 songs each year for his public concerts & made it a point to render particularly 3-4 each year to popularise. As EVERY song he sang became HIS essentially there were requests for those songs. As he TRULY lived for his Rasikas he always obliged. That why it would appear that he repeated certain songs.
REG. AVAILABILITY speaking for myself I will be delighted to share everything I have- it is very vast indeed-; If you write me at vkv@juno.com I can see how you can get copies of them. You can ask balummi also. Regs, VKV

ananthnagarajan

VKV sir, thank you very much for your kind response. I have sent you an email to vkv@juno.com

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Renganathan E N
Lakshmipuram 1st Street,
Royapettah,
Chennai-600 014
When
Sat MAY 28th, 6pm – 8pm
Where
venu sundar

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Sri Madurai Mani Iyer's
Classical Nusic

Date

28/05/2011 SATURDAY

Time

6.oo P.M. to 8.00P.M

Venue:

Sri EN Ranganathan's Residence
4/4 Kumudh Apartments,
Lakshmi Puram 1st Street,
Royapettah,
CHENNAI 6000 14
(Near Music Academy)

Light refreshments arranged

Please acknowledge receipt of this invitation
and
ATTEND THE SESSION WITHOUT FAIL.

S.Venugopalan

cacm

Post by cacm »

I am VERY HAPPY& PLEASED that OPPORTUNITIES to listen to the divine music of MMI is being provided with the initiative of S.Venugopalan, E.N.Renganathan & Yessel Narasimhasn.
It is a great SERVICE to Carnatic Music & the memory of the immortal MMI who showed us the BEST in our culture&music as an individual as well as a Professional is a very INSPIRING DEVELOPMENT for me & others who came into contact with MMI.
The least we can do is to perpetuate their memories in suitable fashions. I am very proud of this group for their service. In doing these kinds of things we are HONOURING the BEST in ourselves, our past, present& future. VKV

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

I thank S/S VKV SIR AND CLEVELAND SUNDARAM SIR for all the guidance and inspiration.But I am greatly DISAPPOINTED that NONE of our rasikas ack such an effort of listening to MMI Monthly Seession in spite of several reminders.My request to the rasikas to give the feedback and also COME and PARTICIPATE in the MMI Musical Eveninng that is hels every month the last Saturday in a permanent venue at Laxmipurm.
Pls See the attached invite seperately.WE NEED TO GATHER AND BRING BACK MMI TO THE YOUNGER GENERATION>PLEASE RESPOND RASIKAS!

musicfan_4201

Post by musicfan_4201 »

venu sundar wrote:I thank S/S VKV SIR AND CLEVELAND SUNDARAM SIR for all the guidance and inspiration.But I am greatly DISAPPOINTED that NONE of our rasikas ack such an effort of listening to MMI Monthly Seession in spite of several reminders.My request to the rasikas to give the feedback and also COME and PARTICIPATE in the MMI Musical Eveninng that is hels every month the last Saturday in a permanent venue at Laxmipurm.
Pls See the attached invite seperately.WE NEED TO GATHER AND BRING BACK MMI TO THE YOUNGER GENERATION>PLEASE RESPOND RASIKAS!

futile efforts Sri Venu. Current crop is more attracted to the monkey and snake songs. Play that and see the differnce. Your street where these meets are held will be jam packed with rASIKAs dancing to the tune :)
If I am in channai I will be there to be part of gathering listening to the divine music of Sri MMI

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

I totally agree with musicfan that present generation avoids listening whenever MMI is played and even a close relative of mine of younger generation who was very vocal in praising MMI did not listen to his concert and was talking all the time when I invited him to a new concert of MMI that I acquired . Even in recent days people are mad listening to the Super Singer programme of Vijay TV with the same vigour that I listen to MMI and we may be wrong in assigning superstar status to our MMI ! I am sorry to say that all the recent MMI concert listening programmes of MMI the listeners are all Senior Citizens! This reminds me of the comment by Mani Mama himself when in a conference after dinner was taking place in Calcutta , a new friend enters , " Is it Natesan , Please come . He is one of my closest bosom friends since my younger days and we talk about all matters under the sun and if I start singing , he would slip away from the place . He is not a stranger to our music and he can be seen in all the GN Sir's concert and had never listened to even a single concert of mine ."
Thank You
Balu

Purist

Post by Purist »

Playing of archivial recordings of yesteryear masters in sabha's or in private has never found sustained patronage.
I remember the Bangalore Gayana Samaj trying this about 20 odd years back and gave up for very poor response.
This doesn't in anyway takeaway the greatness of their music. We have to look this from a practical point.
Familiarity with music that is already available, cost and time of commuting and the sheer pain of traffic snarls
can put off anyone .... more so when it is a non live program. Venu Sundar don't loose heart just because rasikas
do not assemble every month.

viswanathmysore

Post by viswanathmysore »

My request to the rasikas to give the feedback and also COME and PARTICIPATE in the MMI Musical Eveninng that is hels every month the last Saturday in a permanent venue at Laxmipurm.

Though I am far removed from these activities , it would be worthwhile to feature more artists than one . Getting into an uncontrollable tizzy over one artist is a hallmark of my (old) generation. The current crop has a distaste for preconceived ideas being stuffed down their throat .
But I do love Madurai Mani Iyer . Wish I could have dropped in for one of these.

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Dear ALL,
I am very HAPPY to record that today evening MMIs Musical evening was a big SUCCESS since 40 FANATIC rasikas gathered and listened to MMI in rapt attention for 130 minutes in the MOTTAI MAADI and it was very encouraging sign.Almost all of them heard MMIs live mostly in Kapali Temple and naturally majority of us are Senior Citizens even as per the norms of Income-Tax ie 65 years.The most welcome sign was there were about 5 youngsters of 20-30 age group too in spite of the reality of the situation that IPL finals between CSK and RCB was also there starting at 8PM.I am trying to drive home only one point.LET ALL OF US MMI MADDYS JOIN ATLEAST ONCE IN A MONTH TO LISTEN TO THE MAGICAL VOICE O MMI>I respect all the views but at the same time I am very CONFIDENT that by 2012 OCT 28 I can bell the praise of MMI into the ears of entire GLOBE!MMI died on June 8th 1968 even after 45 years MMI music lives ON!LET US JOIN TO LISTEN MMI!

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

The Mottai Maadi arrangement is not for MMI alone . It featured MDR , GN Sir and many others . Since this year happens to be the centenary celebration of MMI , we decided to play only MMI .Another reason being , only his recordings are available as large collections from many rasikas and MMI never put any restriction for recordings and invariable on many occasions the dias was full of taperecorders , I had myself seen , that he could reach the centre only with great difficulty!

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Madurai Mani Iyer the musical genius of Carnatic Music died on 8th June 1968 mortally.But even today after 46 years of his death MMIs music lives in the millions of his FANATICS!MMI was perhaps like Sachin of cricket and Rajini of Silver screen in popularity in his living and non-living days.To quote an instance during the Navarahtri festival in the 50s and 60s in Mylapore@Madras@Chennai MMI used to draw very HUGE crowd and the entire audience used to be spell bound till the end of the concert which will be past midnight.At 12 midnight MMI will take up Sivans "KANA KAN KODI VENDUM" in KAMBODHI and the song will stretch up to 1 AM or so.When MMI used to sing KANDAN KARUNAI a song of late GUHAN the concluding lines of ANDAM VENDIDUM will be marked by the late Alangudi Ramachandrans throwing the GHATAM and Catching it!
It was a visual delight and the audience will become excited like Sachin hitting a 6 and winning the match>MMI was and will be the GREATEST!

VISHNURAMPRASAD

Post by VISHNURAMPRASAD »

An account of Mani Iyer's last days as narrated by my late grandfather who was a close friend of Mani Iyer:

The last concert of Mani Iyer happened to be on 31st March 1968 at the Music Academy hall for Mylapore Arts Academy, after which many dates that were booked for his concerts got cancelled as his health was deteriorating at a fast phase. Till 1967 Iyer performed in all Rama navami series concerts at Ayodhya Mantapam, T.Nagar Griffith Road, Venus Colony etc. In 1968, He performed on January 12th for the IIT Music club as a part of their annual festival. That concert was recorded and is with many rasikas.

There was a radio concert in February which was recorded at his home where he sang Vathapi, Manasunilpa, Merivere, Jalanthara and Chakkani Raja and Virutham to the accompaniment of Govindaswamy Naicker, Murugaboopathy, Vinayakaram and T.N. Balappa (dolak). That happened to be his last radio concert. During April 1968, his rama navami concerts were cancelled and Shri T.V.Sankaranarayanan performed his debut at the Grifith road, T.Nagar with TNK, Vellore and Alangudi which brought him good name and fame.

My grand father Late Shri Ananthanarayana Iyer used to visit Mani Iyer frequently (atleast once a week) along with his other close friends like P.M.Viswanatha Iyer. Mani Iyer used to spend couple of hours talking them about music and other subjects enthusiastically. Shri Thiruvengad Jayaraman was already a renowned musician, had concerts and tutions but ensured to spend as much time with his guru to take care of him. During the month of May, MMI had a concert scheduled at Mylapore Fine Arts Club with Lalgudi Jayaraman as accompaniment but the concert was again cancelled in the last moment due to poor health. Lalgudi played solo on that day. Sukhi Evaro was played as a prayer for Mani Iyer's speedy recovery. But the heavens could not wait for any longer to hear the music of Mani Iyer. His fever got aggrevated and even his close friends could not meet him due to the strict orders of the doctor to arrest any further infections to Mani Iyer. My grand pa was very upset, but did not stop going till the gate of the house, just to know the status of his health. On June 8th, since there was no phone at our house, Shri Thiruvengad came to our house all the way to inform the passing away of Mani Iyer.

My grandpa went along with him and attended the funeral of Mani Iyer at Krishnampet. He recalled that many musicians who had come to pay their respect to Mani iyer could not stop weeping at the site of his body. He particularly recalled how Smt M.S.Subbulakshmi sat near Mani Iyer's sister and wept unconsolably. Mani Iyer was given as "aahudhi" to the almighty with Sandal woods as his pyre (such was the respect and devotion that Shri Vembu Iyer had on his Guru).

My father used to say that during 1960s MMI was the only carnatic musician who was well known to many non connoisseurs due to his frequent free public concerts. They all used to attend his kucheries and became his die hard fans. There were many people who became his fan after his death, after listening to his rendition of Majanaki and Sarasa Samadhana for the LP record that was released in 1967. The AIR external services paid a rich tribute to MMI on June 8th by playing many excerpts of his recording for the benefit of NRI rasikas. My father who was in Germany heard the news from BBC radio on Mani Iyer's passing away recorded the entire tribute program of AIR External services in his Grundig recorder.

AIR sincerely remembers June 8th as Mani Iyer's day even today(thanks to the regular reminders sent by Shri Egmore Balu sir during 80s and 90s by posting letters requesting Mani Iyer's music to be broadcasted on the 8th of June every year). The sad part is they are broadcasting only the same recording again and again though they have such a huge archive of MMI's numerous radio concerts.

Just wanted to recall the memory of the MahaVidwan and a Maha Purusha! Namaskarams.

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

Dear Vishnu ,
MMI's last concert should have been for Music Club of Madras , not conncted with IIT . Because I was very much a student of IIT , Madras in 1968 and stayed in the postgraduate hostel , Kauvery . We , the 5 students of IIT with our leader Dr.S.Rangarajan , now a retired ISRO Scientist, were well known fans of MMI and nothimg could happen in the city connected with MMI without our knowledge! Sri MDR , then the professor of Vocal Music ,Central College of Carnatic Music was also a fan of MMI and we used to meet him on Thursdays. I used to request AIR to broadcast every 8 th of June a concert of him . I posted similar letters sometimes in Tamil also in the name of my friends and relatives from their addresses!
Balu