Madurai Mani Iyer

Carnatic Musicians
kapali

Re: Madurai Mani Iyer

Post by kapali »

I was travelling in train between Bombay and Bangalore when I read the news item about MMI ' s passing away reported in the left corner of the front page of The Hindu with MMI's photo . My first reaction was 'when can I ever again hope to hear his unique style of soulful and touching rendering alapana, niravals and swarams". Among the many reader's mail tributes that appeared in the Madras Mail newspaper subsequently , one touching tribute was expressed by a reader who wrote that tears welled up in one's eyes whenever one hears his famous Kaanada swarams and then he continued when can he hear the like of it again.

ananthnagarajan

Post by ananthnagarajan »

Hi,

I have kandasmaykoil-tnk-sivaraman-1962 vol1 and vol3. *But I do not have vol2*.

I was listening to the end of vol1, which has "Intha Para Mukham". And the neraval on "Silayo" ended mid-way. You can understand my disappointment!

Does anyone have vol2 of this concert? I will be really grateful, if you can upload it.

Thank you very much,
Anantharaman N.

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

Dear Ananth
Pl. follow this link to download Vol 2 of the Kandaswamy Koil Concert
http://www.mediafire.com/?glqahbd35v1gn
Thank U

rahm221

Post by rahm221 »

Dear BaluMMI

Thanks.

Where can I get kandasmaykoil-tnk-sivaraman-1962 vol1 and vol3. Is it available on the net somewhere

R.Subramanian

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

The next session is on June 25, 2011.
madhura nEram - மதுர நேரம் 6pm to 8pm

The address of the venue where the monthly MMI listening session is happening is given below. I've also attached the route map. (though this is the permanent venue, providing address for couple of new invitees)

Renganathan E N
#4/4, Kumudh Apartments (1st Floor, Road-facing entrance)
Lakshmipuram 1st Street,
Royapettah,
Chennai-600 014
Ph: +91 90030 27857
S. Venugopalan: 98413 13527

The address of the venue where the monthly MMI listening session is happening is given below. I've also attached the route map. (though this is the permanent venue, providing address for couple of new invitees)

Renganathan E N
Lakshmipuram 1st Street,
Royapettah,
Chennai-600 014

Renganathan E N
Lakshmipuram 1st Street,
Royapettah,
Chennai-600 014

Renganathan E N
Lakshmipuram 1st Street,
Royapettah,
Chennai-600 014

Renganathan E N
Lakshmipuram 1st Street,
Royapettah,
Chennai-600 014

Renganathan E N
Lakshmipuram 1st Street,
Royapettah,
Chennai-600 014

Renganathan E N
Lakshmipuram 1st Street,
Royapettah,
Chennai-600 014

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

Dear Subramaniam,
Please follw this link to download the entire "Kandasamy Koil Concert of MMI with TNK and Sivaraman
http://www.mediafire.com/?glqahbd35v1gn

rahm221

Post by rahm221 »

Dear BaluMMI

Thanks for the quick response.
I have downloaded the concert.

Subramanian

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

BaluMMI Avl,
Many thanx for the link.

Thanjavooran 25 06 2011

annamalai

Post by annamalai »

During an interview on Sankara TV, Trichur Ramachandran mentioned about GNB - what a sariram, his voice can do whatever he thinks ....

The older vidwans like Chembai have mentioned that the only other vidwan who had such a sariram like GNB was Madurai Pushpavanam, the uncle of Madurai Mani Iyer.

thenpaanan

Post by thenpaanan »

annamalai wrote:...
The older vidwans like Chembai have mentioned that the only other vidwan who had such a sariram like GNB was Madurai Pushpavanam, the uncle of Madurai Mani Iyer.
Which reminds me of a quote from somewhere that I can no longer recall Veenai DhanammAL on hearing GNB said he had a voice like MahAvaidyanAthasivan. If this quote is correct, it gives us an idea of how MVSivan might have sounded (though from all other evidence Sivan sang at 4 kattai, as was the practice in his time).

-Thenpaanan

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

In 1960's an elderly gentleman in our household used to talk about the great PANCHA VAITHIES of carnatic music for voice culture of his younger days . They included Maha Vaidyanatha Sivan , Konerajapuram Vaidyanatha Iyer , Peria Vaithi and Chinna Vaithi and the fifth one was certainly not Chembai ! If Chembai could not be clubbed with those great Vaithies , how great they should have been! Konerajapuram Vaithyanatha Iyer who lived in Thiruvidaimaruthur once visited Chennai Pattinam and thrilled the Mylapore audience singing a single raga for over five hours! The fifth Vaithi, if I remember correct, was Melatur Vaithyanatha Iyer whose desciple was Musiri Subramanya Iyer.

ananthnagarajan

Maa Ramanan by MMI

Does anyone have the complete rendition of Maa Ramanan by MMI? I was listening to GNB's version and I was reminded of a conversation with Thanjavur Kalyanaraman (GNB's disciple) in 90's. He told me that MMI used to sing it as well. I really want to hear MMI sing it ...

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

Dear Ananth I have a truncated recording of MMI singing Ma Ramanan . But the The radio recording was with lot of disturbances . I really want the same recording from some other source . Please follow this link http://www.mediafire.com/?xcc5n7xlfhkg4du

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

ear sangIthaprEmis
The next session is on AUGUST 27th SATURDAY.
madhura nEram - மதுர நேரம் 6pm to 8pm With SNACKS PL CONFIRM!

Renganathan E N
Lakshmipuram 1st Street,
Royapettah,
Chennai-600 014

S.Venugopalan
7-A, Prashanthi Apts.
T.M.Maistry St.
Vannandurai
Chennai - 600 041
Ph: +91 44 42151321

ananthnagarajan

Maa Ramanan by MMI

Thank you Balummi for uploading. Yes, the recording has a lot of disturbance - still I listened to it a few times.

You may have listened to MMI rendering this kriti in person. How often did he sing it in concerts?

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

Dear Ananth ,
I had listen to MMI singing Ma Ramanan only twice that too only in Tamil Isai festivals.
On one occasion he did a superb alapana followed by a splendid rendering of this composition of Sivan with scintillating swaras for about 30 minutes. After this rendering I immediately left the concert hall so that the
memory of this hindolam was fresh and I was recapturing it frequently till 4 am in the morning.
He rarely sang the compositions that were attributed to Sri GN Sir so that to avoid contraversies . Except Sarasa Sama Dana which was introduced in concert halls by GN Sir but popularised by MMI !

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Just as an aside on "Sarasa Sama Dhana"--this was simultaneously rendered in concerts by SSI,GNB besides MMI which was very rare in those days-i.e a piece that has become popular because of one Senior Vidwan being sung by his contemporaries as well. This led GNSir to mildly 'admonish me when I was an ardent rasikaa of all three that when one hears one artist render a piece one should enjoy it as it is being presented and not seek to compare it with how the other artist would sing the same piece and he used Sarasa Sam Dhana as an example==GNSir's brief raga alapana of Kapinarayani was a clinical beauty--MMI's swara prasthara and neraval(Hithamu mata) had its own unique charm and so was SSI's swara singing--each was unique in their own style.
As regards contemporary artists popularising GNSir's composiions, SSI has commented on one of the interviews in the Nineties that when he suggested to GNSir to sing his own composiions,GNSir replied that "if the compositions had wings they would fly meaning the public would accept it if they are good no matter who sang it and GNSir's own exposition of his pieces by themselves will not propel it towards popularity if the pieces did not deserve!! GNSir was truly humble.

annamalai

Post by annamalai »

There are many, many artists who have mastered rendition of this krithi. In addition to the artists mentioned, I have particularly enjoyed the renditions of this krithi by TN Rajaratnam Pillai (the pathos he brings out is so beautiful) and Karaikudi Sambasiva Iyer (Veena). GN Sir interpretation of Sarasa Samadana (Kapi Narayani) is quite different from the MMI version.

kapali

Post by kapali »

As an youngster, I was actually drawn in to the orbit of MMI's music once I heard his 'Sarasa Sama Dhana ' and Sukhi Evarro' and from then on it was a never ending journey of listening to his music

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

MADURAI MANI IYER CENTENARY MONTHLY LISTENING SESSION1Friday, 16 September, 2011 9:26 AM
From: "Venugopalan S" <esvee45@yahoo.co.in>View contact details
To: "mylaporetimes@ .com" <mylaporetimes@vsnl.com>
PLEASE PUBLISH IT IN YOUR EVENTS COLUMN!
The next session is on SEPTEMBER 24th SATURDAY.

Renganathan E N
Lakshmipuram 1st Street,
Royapettah,
Chennai-600 014
Ph: +91 90030 27857MADURAI MANI IYER CENTENARY MONTHLY LISTENING SESSION1Friday, 16 September, 2011 9:26 AM

Renganathan E N
Lakshmipuram 1st Street,
Royapettah,
Chennai-600 014
MADURAI MANI IYER CENTENARY MONTHLY LISTENING SESSION1Friday, 16 September, 2011 9:26 AM

Renganathan E N
Lakshmipuram 1st Street,
Royapettah,
Chennai-600 014

Renganathan E N
Lakshmipuram 1st Street,
Royapettah,
Chennai-600 014

Renganathan E N
Lakshmipuram 1st Street,
Royapettah,
Chennai-600 014

Renganathan E N
Lakshmipuram 1st Street,
Royapettah,
Chennai-600 014

matterwaves

Post by matterwaves »

I'm trying to locate a concert where MMI sings Sahasrakara mandite, Mohanarama, a lovely Naradagana lola and a Bhairavi pallavi of mindnumbing creativity and laalithya. I had a 'double cassette' of this released by AVM bought around a decade ago but I seem to have lost it somewhere.Not able to locate it at any CD shops. Any ideas where i could find it? Its probably has MGP and PSP on the violin and mridanga

kapali

Post by kapali »

I also remember that casette. Especially the Hamsanandi swaras in the ragamalika swaras of the Bhairavi RTP referred by you are masterly and can we ever again hear such superb Hamsanandi swarams -a rare treat!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Kapali and Matterwaves
Are you talking about bhairavi RTP where swara ragamAliga is in Hamsadhwani,sahAnA and HamsAnandi , that is indeed finest of hamsAnandi where there was a long round of applause after MMI after a rightful pause :clap: , I will upload it here.

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

I have tried to upload the entire concert . Please follow this link http://www.mediafire.com/?n2cwc8f2pasop

matterwaves

Post by matterwaves »

Thanks a ton balummi. this is a more exhaustive list than what the casettes had .A decade ago, i knew almost nothing about classical music beyond MS and BMK, my friend manasanayana dropped a few names i didn't know. I then bought this album of MMI and listened to it umpteen times but couldnt quite get it. It has taken me a decade of listening to really appreciate, though not the whole lenght, the greatness of the music made by the great masters. I can't thank enough, the puryevors of the digital revolution, becuase of whom the music of such greats will be for eternity

VISHNURAMPRASAD

Post by VISHNURAMPRASAD »

Today is the 100th Birthday of Gaana Kalaadhara Shri Madurai Mani Iyer. (1912 to 1968).

A 100 Pranaams to the great master :

Who raptured(s) the sangeetha rasikas with his suswara madhura sangeetham!
Who established the "Sukha bhaavam" and "Sowkhya bhaavam" aspect of Sangeetham with his roaring success in his outstanding career!
Who resonated through his music that music has to be enjoyed by Self first! - be it practising, be it presenting or be it listening!
Who proved to the world by his success that Melody is more important than Mathematics!
Who by his hard work and meticulous practise, obtained purity and clarity in every aspect of sangeetham and established that one who is strong in basics and devotedly follows Sruthi bhakthi and laya bhakthi could transform his rasikas to a divine bliss while listening to him!
Who had singularly popularised the Navagraha krithis of Dikshithar!
Who contributed immensly to the cause of thamizh isai!
Who introduced many apoorva ragas and krithis of the trinity!
Who proved by his examplary life that music is not just a profession but when coupled with great virtues, could make a man immortal!

Longlive his divine music! Longlive suswara sangeetham!

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Dear Vishnu,
I am really HAPPY that U reflected the MILLIONS of FANATICS minds in your praise of the ONE AND ONLY MMI.Of course TVS and his two MUSICAL children are continuing the tradition and TVS is surely uplifting the greatness of MMI in hi own style.One cannot forget the contributions of late T S Vembu Iyer who served MMI as the most constant companion.It is worthwhile to observe TSV day also as part of MMI 100 events.2012 is the CentenARY YEAR OF THE stalwart>LET ALL THE MMI MADDYS COME TOGETHER AND MAKE IT A MASSIVE SUCCESS!

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

I am thrilled to see Vishnu's glowing tribute on the Deva Ganam of Sri Madurai Mani Iyer on his 99th birthday . He is fully competent to talk about " the Melody and Mathematics" of music ! But words can never fully bring the experience of listening to his music.

annamalai

Post by annamalai »

Looks like MMI centennial function has been inaugurated with many musicians who performed with Mani Iyer - TNK, LGJ. TKM, VR, UKS, ...

http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/columns ... 635735.ece

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

The next session is on NOVEMBER 26th SATURDAY.

Renganathan E N
Lakshmipuram 1st Street,
Royapettah,
Chennai-600 014

S.Venugopalan
7-A, Prashanthi Apts.
T.M.Maistry St.
Vannandurai
Chennai - 600 041
Ph: +91 44 42151321

chandraiitm

Post by chandraiitm »

Dear Annamalai,

Re: Madurai Mani Iyer » 21 Nov 2011 16:44

Thank you for posting the Hindu coverage I being in Nagpur wpuld have missed it but for you
Chandrasekharan
annamalai wrote:Looks like MMI centennial function has been inaugurated with many musicians who performed with Mani Iyer - TNK, LGJ. TKM, VR, UKS, ...

http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/columns ... 635735.ece

chandraiitm

Post by chandraiitm »

Dear Vishnuprasad

I am late to respond since I read your post only today.

You have spoken for millions of MMI devotees.

Every word you have written about the Great Master is TRUE.

Thanks for writing what I wanted to do.

Chandrasekharan
VISHNURAMPRASAD wrote:Today is the 100th Birthday of Gaana Kalaadhara Shri Madurai Mani Iyer. (1912 to 1968).

A 100 Pranaams to the great master :

Who raptured(s) the sangeetha rasikas with his suswara madhura sangeetham!
Who established the "Sukha bhaavam" and "Sowkhya bhaavam" aspect of Sangeetham with his roaring success in his outstanding career!
Who resonated through his music that music has to be enjoyed by Self first! - be it practising, be it presenting or be it listening!
Who proved to the world by his success that Melody is more important than Mathematics!
Who by his hard work and meticulous practise, obtained purity and clarity in every aspect of sangeetham and established that one who is strong in basics and devotedly follows Sruthi bhakthi and laya bhakthi could transform his rasikas to a divine bliss while listening to him!
Who had singularly popularised the Navagraha krithis of Dikshithar!
Who contributed immensly to the cause of thamizh isai!
Who introduced many apoorva ragas and krithis of the trinity!
Who proved by his examplary life that music is not just a profession but when coupled with great virtues, could make a man immortal!

Longlive his divine music! Longlive suswara sangeetham!

perarulalan

Post by perarulalan »

Interesting Article By Chitraveena Shri N Ravikiran, from The Hindu, titled " As pitch-perfect in life as in music "

http://www.thehindu.com/arts/music/arti ... epage=true

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

The tribute to MMI by Chitraveena Ravikiran is really great . The very apt reference to his grandfather Sri Narayana Iyengar's words "Even if the sun may rise in the west and the oceans trip over themselves Madurai Mani would neve deviate from sruti " is no exaggeration! MMI at the age of 15 when the first Music Academy conference was held can demonstrate and sing all the 72 melakartha ragas was no mean achievement .

cacm

Post by cacm »

Balummi,
GREAT REFERENCE BY RAVIKIRAN! HOW TRUE IT IS TOO!....VKV

Purist

Post by Purist »

From the article in post # 758, TVS mentions to have learnt Paramathmudu and Samukhana Nilva from MMI.

I would love to listen MMI's rendering of these two master pieces of Thyagraja Swami. Anyone having a recording of MMI
please post. (Special request to VKV & Balumni sir if they can find this in their treasure)

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

The next listening session will be on 29/01/2012 Sunday between 10.00 A.M to 12.00 noon followed by a lunch at the new venue - Residence of Sri E.N Renganathan , Flat No 3, 2nd Floor, Sapthagiri Apartments, 83, TTK Road, Alwarpet. Near Eldams Road signal on TTK Road. (Opp to Kamadhenu Petrol Pump, Next to Crossword Book Store) (Tel - 9003027857).

Pl. confirm your attendance before Friday 27.01.2012 to Sri,S.Venugopalan Ph: +91 44 42151321 / 98413 13527. We have to plan the lunch quantity

Venu Sundar

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

I did attend the Programme. At the very outset, thanks for Mr.Venugopal/Venu sundar arranging such a wonderful programme. I also attended some of this earlier programmes. Kudos to the team, for conducting a separate programme for Shri MMI. Never ever heard this for any other artist...Great.
It was well arranged and fortunate to listen to some experiences of yesteryear rasikas, besides the evergreen music of Shri MMI. Lunch was also served.
Being Jan 29, we could listen to Shri MMIs Shanmukapriya RT followed by pallavi “MahAtmA maNi vazhi nadappOm....”. Jan 30, being MahAtma’s remeberance day, it was an apt pallavi chosen by the organisers to play in the previous day.
Some of the interesting experiences shared in the programme:
Mr.K.K.Ganapathy who runs “ Bharatiya Music Circle in Mumbai shared his experience:
“I have long association with Shri MMI at the age of 13. At the age of 13, MMI started his first “unofficial” concert in some place of Kerala. When Harikesannallur (HMB) gave a discourse on that day, he asked MMI to sing one kriti and latter rendered with “rA rA mA inti (asAveri of T) with breathtaking swarAs. There was no looking back after this.
In one concert, pAlakkad mani Iyer was about to accompany, but he could not come so, local mridangist was arranged. MMI took “meenakshi memudam” purvikalyAni kriti of MD. While giving neraval in “madhurApuri nilaye, maNi valayE”, he rendered as “maNi vallayE” (means mani did not come)”
Another one at Shanmugananda at Mumbai - MMI had to perform on Oct 1 and MLV on Oct 2. He taught MLV the pallavi “mahatma... “ and asked her to sing on oct 2. MLV had another Guru on that day !!!
Another octogeneraian got up and he shared his experience.
“When “gAna kalA dharA” award was given, rasikas at that time, thought (even now), he should have been given “ghandarva gAna kalA dharA”

He was giving a concert in Sai bAbA temple in mylApore. The concert started at 10.30 and ended at 3 AM. He rendered 4 kritis. One of them was “sukhi evvaro” in kAnadA. Next day, when this person went to office, there was no speech, only communication of kAnadA swarAs. (even now, some of us can render these swarAs without adequate experience in CM,,, immortal).

MMI gives lot of importance to sruti. If any tambura problem, he patiently adjusts, even if takes half an hour..”
Shri.Venugopal said referring one of the Ghatam Artist of yesterdays, while singing “kandan karunai puriyum” famous kriti in Bhimplas, in the last line “annai parAshakti arul sudar vel”, the Ghatam artist, throws the Ghatam in the air (as done at the end of tani)”. A real bliss.
Truly an incident to cherish for scores of rasikas like me who even now enjoy his “impeccable” music. Listening Kritis, like kAmbodhi- mA janaki, purvikalyAni-Jnanamu segaradha and RTP Shanmugapriya, were never tiresome/boring despite that I have listened many times.
Returning my home, I was thinking what was so special about MMI to connect to Jan 30, MahAtma’s remembrance day, the answer was
Both of them had a clear vision-“ to reach their message to the ricksawallah”

With the pallavis (RTP) of today stooped to such a low level, we could not stop thinking MMI rendered the pallavi “MahAtma” on Jan 30th 1948 in some place. Long live Maestro !!!!!
I could not stop praising this forum. Around 79000 views for MMI, highest in this segment, tell how much rasikas love this person and his music !!!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

grsastrigal wrote: Being Jan 29, we could listen to Shri MMIs Shanmukapriya RT followed by pallavi “MahAtmA maNi vazhi nadappOm....”. Jan 30, being MahAtma’s remeberance day, it was an apt pallavi chosen by the organisers to play in the previous day.

With the pallavis (RTP) of today stooped to such a low level, we could not stop thinking MMI rendered the pallavi “MahAtma” on Jan 30th 1948 in some place.
GRS
Certainly this pallavi "mahatma mani mozhi vazhi nadappOm, mAperum talaivar gandhi " is a wonderful one that too with the choice of shanmughapriyA is just awesome.Though the references that today's pallavi is low level is bit beyond my understanding, as there is much more renaissance now.

This pallavi was composed by Chitti Sundarrajan ,there is an article about him in this url http://www.hindu.com/2001/08/26/stories/0426401z.htm

Shri Venu Sundar,
I am assuming you have some vintage photos of mmi and your dad Shri Chitti SundarrAjan, if possible can you scan them and upload sir .Any group photos where MMI and others are participating is also appreciated.

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

Dear All ,
MMI did not like restrictions in singing and could not go freely with ragamalika swaras after the pallavi " Mahatma Mani Mozhi" due to AIR timings ! It was not so in the case of Ramanavami concerts and they never came to a close even after 1a.m. in the night . for e.g. in the 1964 Ramanavami concert , he started singing shanmugapriya with the intention of singing pallavi , and we were all wondering whether he was going to sing Saravanabava Shanmuga or Mahatma Manimozhi and in both cases it was unsuitable for Ramanavami. As if he had also realised the mistake , he thundered the pallavi " Rama Govinda Mugunda Murare" and this particular soulstirring pallavi can be listened any number of times with mesmesrising effect
and we propose to play it in our monthly MMI listening sessions during this years' Ramanavami.

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Dear ALL MMI MADDYS,
I am one of the millions of MMI fans.I am very HAPPY and Grateful to Sri Sastriji to have given a fine resume on the MMI Monthly event.Sri Ganapathigi 85 year old YOUNG MAN came all the WAY from Mumbai and We are very much excited to have SUCH great RASIKAS OF MMI>THe next session will be on 26th Feb 2012 Sunday with SNACKS and we expect MORE MMI rasikas to come and participate.Madurai Mani is GOD OF MUSIC>In the AMUDASURABHI ISSUE DT FEB 2012 there is a SPECIAL ARTICLE ON MMI by the Late THI Janakiraman.Plese ALL rasikas resd it and come back with UR views

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

The next listening session will be on 25/02/2012 Saturday between 10.00 A.M to 12.00 noon followed by SKC (Sweet, Kaaram and Coffee) at the same venue - Residence of Sri E.N Renganathan , Flat No 3, 2nd Floor, Sapthagiri Apartments, 83, TTK Road, Alwarpet. Near Eldams Road signal on TTK Road. (Opp to Kamadhenu Petrol Pump, Next to Crossword Book Store) (Tel - 9003027857).

Pl. confirm your attendance before Thursday 24.01.2012 to Sri,S.Venugopalan Ph: +91 44 42151321 / 98413 13527. Thanks.

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

PL NOTE THAT THE CHANGE OF DATE IT IS ON 25TH SATURDAY AND NOT ON 26TH SUNDAY DUE TO SOME UNAVOIDABOE PRACTICAL REASONS PL BEAR WITH US AND ATTEND THE SESSION TO ENJOY THE MUSIC OF GREAT AND ONLY MMI.PLS ATTEND THE SESSION ON 25TH FEB ATURDAY AND ENJOY MUSIC

jayakanth

Post by jayakanth »

Dear Forumites,
Has MMI sung any Ashtapathi of Jayadeva or 'alarsara parithapam' of Swathi tirunal ?( for that matter, any Swati Tirunal songs). Could someone post a download link please.

venravi

Post by venravi »

He sang Sarasaksha paripalayam in Pantuvarali. Very famous.
http://www.sangeethamshare.org/manjunat ... demy-1966/
Ravi

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Dear All,

Please note that Chitti - Madurai Mani - Guhan Remembrance Day is being celebrated and the details are below.

Subject: CHITTI-MADURAI MANI-GUHAN DAY1

Date : 1st April 2012!
VENUE : VIDYYA VILASAM
NO 9 THIRD CROSS ST
DR RADHAKRISHNAN NAGAR
TIRUVANMIYUR CHENNAI 41
Behind AXIS BANK &AIRTEL SASTRINAGAR
TIME 9-30 AM TO 11AM APRIL 1ST SUNDAY 2012
EVENT MMIs MUSIC FOR 45 MINUTES
MUNCH SNACKS
ALL MADURAI MANI MADDYS WELCOME!CONTACT VENU 9841313527

thenpaanan

Post by thenpaanan »

perarulalan wrote:Interesting Article By Chitraveena Shri N Ravikiran, from The Hindu, titled " As pitch-perfect in life as in music "
Thanks for the pointer. Ravikiran says in this articlle
The manner in which (MMI) cultivated his voice ensured that he had absolutely no insecurity about any note.
Unfortunately Ravikiran does not say exactly how he managed to do that (ensure that he had no insecurity). No doubt every other singer would kill for this ability but only MMI mastered it. No one seems to know (or want to tell us) what rigors MMI went through to get there. No doubt some would say it is a "God-given gift" but banishing insecurity in the mind sounds like a very human endeavor, not a divine gift. Notice Ravikiran says MMI "cultivated" his voice, not carried it like a gift.
In a field where numerous artistes feel diffident about singing certain notes even after 50 years of performing experience, this achievement alone is sufficient to put Mani Iyer among the all-time greats.
I wonder which of these "numerous" artistes we know of and cherish. Anyone care to speculate on who Ravikiran might be talking about? To be honest, it should not be taken as an insult -- most artistes have less than perfect voices -- honesty can only make us braver. :grin:

Thenpaanan

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

In an AIR interview Mani Iyer advises any aspiring Vidwan regarding Sruti : " He should first fix his

basic ( Aathara ) sruti such that he should easily glide through all the swarasthanams and with a little effort he must reach the Nishadam and the higher Shadjam . If he could effertlessly reach these swaras and fix the aathara sruti ( kattai ) his voice will float . After fixing his kattai , he must constantly practice only at this level and never waver and try to shift it. "

thenpaanan

Post by thenpaanan »

Balummi wrote:In an AIR interview Mani Iyer advises any aspiring Vidwan regarding Sruti : " He should first fix his

basic ( Aathara ) sruti such that he should easily glide through all the swarasthanams and with a little effort he must reach the Nishadam and the higher Shadjam . If he could effertlessly reach these swaras and fix the aathara sruti ( kattai ) his voice will float . After fixing his kattai , he must constantly practice only at this level and never waver and try to shift it. "
I think this is good advice. These days teachers tell you this -- fix your kattai and practice only at this sruthi and never change it. Perhaps it was not common advice back then when perhaps male singers still had a dream of singing at sruthis as high as 4 (F)! Gliding is a great metaphor but many people do it and the effect is quite different from MMI's even if the different effect is good. For example, anyone listening to SSI singing the dhENukA kriti teliyalEnurAmA will say that SSI is simply gliding as well, but the effects created by SSI and MMI are quite distinct.

In my humble opinion the hallmark of MMI's singing was the apparent lack of any strain whatsoever in any part of his range. So perhaps the critical part of the advice is "with little effort" though I wonder why he restricted himself to just the "Nishadam and higher shadjam" and not extend it higher. There is a natural impression that will formed that singing higher notes will necessarily take effort but that it not the case.

-Thenpaanan

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

I thank all those who thronged Arkay convention Hall for the Ramanavami Concert of Madurai Mani Iyer held on 12-06 -1966 at Aswametha Mahamandapam , Venus Colony with Chowdiah , Palghat Mani Iyer and Madurai Krishna Iyengar. The recording was replayed on 12 - 04 - 2012 . There was no room even for moving our limbs . It was overwhelming and the recording by SL was excellent . We want more such replaying of concerts instead of somebody else singing in MMI's honour as the original can never be replaced by others.