Abhinav Seetharaman

Carnatic Musicians
carnaticfan1

Abhinav Seetharaman

Post by carnaticfan1 »

Has anyone heard of a boy named Abhinav Seetharaman? He is based in the US I believe.

I first heard him play at the Cleveland Thyagaraja Aradhana earlier this year, and he was just fantastic. Could tell so easily that he is a disciple of the great Mahavidwan Karaikudi Mani sir.

I also heard from somebody that he is only 18 years of age now.

I was hearing one of his 'Thani Avarthanams' from the year 2011 (at Krishna Gana Sabha), which meant he was only 14 at the time. Remarkable that a 14-year old boy played like this... ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3XMz0unKK8 )

Truly gifted.

carnaticfan1

Re: Abhinav Seetharaman

Post by carnaticfan1 »

I just came across another recording of him, performing with another child prodigy (Kamalakiran Vinjamuri) - I had to share it here, because it was that good. The way he accompanies for the song is perfect, there is so much control and understanding!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzDGrM3LhPc

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Abhinav is a disciple of Tiruvarur Vaidyanathan(who always accompanies Sudha Raghunathan).
He is the grandson of Advocate Vaidyanathakrishnan of Coimbatore(a good friend and more than that -a relative of mine--but PLEASE DO NOT HOLD IT AGAINST THE BOY!!!!).
Sri Vaidyanthakrishnan is a renowned Musical Scholar especially on the Trinity compositions. He was honored in Cleveland a couple of years ago .

All the musicians--DKP,LGJ,Bombay Sisters,Neyveli Santhanagopalan--held him in awe for his knowledge and scholarship. He has been conducting the Rama Navami Festival in Coimbatore in January every year.
A naturally shy and reserved man--,Once several of us "coaxed" him to meet DKP(as she had an authentic reputation for Muthuswamy Dikshitar kritis).This was in the last few years of DKP's life when she was unwell. I believe at the end of their meeting,DKP is reported to have asked him "Where he has been hiding all these years and she wished she knew of him earlier and would have learnt more Dikshitar krithis from him".

He has copious research notes diving deep into the trinity's compositions with extensive cross references from Valmiki Ramayana,Kalidasas's works,with the Kshetra background for the compositions of MD. I have been trying to persuade him to have it published.

This would be a treasure trove for future musicologists and historians.

Sorry for the digression!! This is supposed to be about the Boy!!! But then by now Forumites are used to my "Mudikondan-like detours!!!!!

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

By all means, please do digress sir. I would be very happy if it somehow gets published. I agree some people are quite reserved and humble in spite of their great qualifications, but today, if any part of the music goes undiscovered and unrevealed, it is ultimately a loss for the music. Our seniors are only getting older everyday.

Ramasubramanian M.K

Thanks Srinathk!! "Our Seniors are getting oLder everyday"-- I AI'NT NO SPRING CHICKEN EITHER AS THE YANKS WOULD SAY!!!!

mahesh236

Post by mahesh236 »

Ramasubramanian M.K wrote:Abhinav is a disciple of Tiruvarur Vaidyanathan(who always accompanies Sudha Raghunathan).
Ramasubramanian sir, Abhinav is actually now a disciple of Guru Karaikudi R. Mani. He has been learning from Mani sir for some time now.

It also says so on his website: http://www.abhiseetharaman.com

I have heard the boy play on many occasions. He is immensely talented!!!

Ramasubramanian M.K

Thanks mahesh236 for the correction.